• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodfella

siddx said:
Tyler is one of the top 5 worst producers of the year. It's the one thing that stops me from being a fan, he can't make a decent beat to save his life.

Wow, really? I think he is an average rapper, but I'll still listen to his stuff for the production. It's unique at least.

goodfella said:
Wow, really? I think he is an average rapper, but I'll still listen to his stuff for the production. It's unique at least.

I think the only beat of his I REALLY like is Bastard. The piano...I have a weakness for them

PBY

Banned
goodfella said:
Im the opposite- I think Tyler's a good rapper who goes on pretty bad beats; on the Game's album and on Pusha's album, when he goes over good beats, he sounds so much better.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
goodfella said:

I find his production straight up appalling. Just some amateur hour bullshit. Tyler has lots of charisma and although lyrically he's an average rapper, he has lots of potential, a great voice, and he draws you in when he raps. He should never ever produce another beat in his life though.

Beezy

Didn't care much for Section 80 on my first listen either, but it became one of my favorite albums this year after my 2nd listen. I really can't explain why.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
I find his production straight up appalling. Just some amateur hour bullshit. Tyler has lots of charisma and although lyrically he's an average rapper, he has lots of potential, a great voice, and he draws you in when he raps. He should never ever produce another beat in his life though.
we are 100 percent on the same page here

siddx said:
I can co-sign that.

Detox

siddx said:
You are comparing two very different things. One is a producer who works solo with largely digital equipment to create beats. The other is a collection of musicians who make songs with live instruments. Both are amazing artists.
Damn for all this time I thought Kno used a live band to produce for Oneirology that is the only way I could explain the step-up in production he has had recently. I guess I should have looked it up.

siddx

I would love to see Tyler over some of that sparse grimy neptunes shit, like a Grindin' type beat, or that Awesome Awesome beat they gave Buddy.

Detox said:
Damn for all this time I thought Kno used a live band to produce for Oneirology that is the only way I could explain the step-up in production he has had recently. I guess I should have looked it up.

I'm pretty sure he just used a guitarist on some tracks. Other than that it was all him.

Esch

Banned
i'm sad this isnt gonna make more top 10 lists this year

310_310_2662-ApathyHonkeyKong-www.hhv-mag.com.jpg

Tyler would sound amazing over some dalek/Cannibal Ox type shit.

iavi

Going through my backlog, I just finished a listen through Danny Brown's XXX. What a good ass fucking release. He's not all that great a lyricist, and his shit doesn't get you to thinking or anything like that, but he doesn't even pretend as if that's the case. The dude just entertains with frequently hilarious lines, and a style that actually throws me off. He manages to sound like three or four different dudes throughout the whole album. For fucking real, I had to keep checking if I was hearing a feature... I wasn't.

Also, I gotta go ahead and co-sign Siddx's Tyler comment. I can't stand any of OF's production, save for Frank, really. Tyler's shit is the epitome of 'garageband.' Left Brain's alright at times, and Jet Age needs to chill the fuck out and actually compose a coherent track. I don't even know who produces for Frank.

siddx

EschatonDX said:
i'm sad this isnt gonna make more top 10 lists this year

310_310_2662-ApathyHonkeyKong-www.hhv-mag.com.jpg

Tyler would sound amazing over some dalek/Cannibal Ox type shit.

It's on my top 10, probably even my top 5.

siddx

The Villain makes me want to punch a motherfucker in the face. Love that track. Hype as fuck.
And I dedicate this to you is one of the songs you use as evidence that you can write a song about girls without it being a generic "girl you so fine I wanna buy you a gucci bag" bullshit.

Esch

Banned
siddx said:
The Villain makes me want to punch a motherfucker in the face. Love that track. Hype as fuck.
And I dedicate this to you is one of the songs you use as evidence that you can write a song about girls without it being a generic "girl you so fine I wanna buy you a gucci bag" bullshit.
Yep, great track. Speaking of production, this album's a top ranker for the year. Preem had a nice contribution on that track with celph titled. The Recipe beat sounds like some sega genesis Shinobi shit. With Xzibit going over it.

siddx

EschatonDX said:
Yep, great track. Speaking of production, this album's a top ranker for the year. Preem had a nice contribution on that track with celph titled. The Recipe beat sounds like some sega genesis Shinobi shit. With Xzibit going over it.

I said a while back, Stop What Ya Doing is probably the best beat Premier has made in years.

Beezy

So I've been listening to Well Done from Action Bronson and Statik Selektah since last night and I like it a lot more than Dr. Lecter. Is it safe to say that this is the best album from a white rapper this year? Who else put something out? MGK (lol), Mac Miller (lol x2), Yelawolf, and Rittz?

PBY

Banned
Beezy said:
So I've been listening to Well Done from Action Bronson and Statik Selektah since last night and I like it a lot more than Dr. Lecter. Is it safe to say that this is the best album from a white rapper this year? Who else put something out? MGK (lol), Mac Miller (lol x2), Yelawolf, and Rittz?
Grieves, Dessa, Apathy off the top of my head; there are a ton

Beezy

MorisUkunRasik said:
.....uh....Eminem.
Bad Meets Evil The Sequel? That was a collab album though. Even so, I still prefer Well Done over it.

MorisUkunRasik said:
Oh and Drake's khaki/eggnog colored ass put out an album.
Haha

peterb0y said:
Grieves, Dessa, Apathy off the top of my head; there are a ton
I don't know any of these people. Guess I should pay more attention to this thread.

IrishNinja

that apathy shit was good? fuck. that and section 80 i gotta get to finally.

@ tyler - i like dude, earl too from what ive heard of him. but while we're bashing his production work who did the beat for yonkers?

Detox

I don't know if this is old but this is Nas with S1 (the guy who produced Power, Murder to Excellence and Best Thing I never had), apparently this was taken at No I.D.'s house. Life is Good is going to be amazing

ixXzS.jpg

Anyway S1 got his own group Strange Fruit Project and they released their latest album recently on Bandcamp. I haven't got it yet but check it out

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Dizaster bodied DNA, surprised it was that easy...
I only watched half of it, but Dizaster was stumbling and saying some cheesy shit. I admittedly got bored around the 30-40 minute mark. But up to that point, i would of given it to DNA. His line about wheelchairs and Drake/Degrassi had me rolling.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
IrishNinja said:
that apathy shit was good? fuck. that and section 80 i gotta get to finally.

@ tyler - i like dude, earl too from what ive heard of him. but while we're bashing his production work who did the beat for yonkers?
I thought Earl did all if not. Most of the beats for OF. Before he got shipped to where ever

Esch

Banned
HiResDes said:
Shinobi called Section 80 an R&B album, and you guys failed to mention Rigamortus...What is going on
well the whole calling it an r&b album thing struck me as so fucking wrong and confusing i felt no need to correct. like it makes no sense to me

DominoKid said:
yo this Jet Life album is fire.

this shit got me bumpin while i'm eating porkchops.

YA YA YA, thanks for letting me know.

siddx

ReconYoda said:
Haha, glad i could bring joy. Sending the track right now, it just got done uploading. Ill include the lyrics.

Just finished writing the verse, practicing it now. Well record probably tomorrow or sunday. That beat is awesome but hard to spit to in my style, gotta practice some

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
Just finished writing the verse, practicing it now. Well record probably tomorrow or sunday. That beat is awesome but hard to spit to in my style, gotta practice some

Yeah, it is nice, but it is a bit out of my comfort zone too, lol. Looking forward to hearing it.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
which beat is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom