• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Miri said:
New: Quest - "The Blur'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C_xFYvvSPlE

I dig this one a whole lot more than his last few tracks. He still talking about the same few things he's always rapped about, but in this one he comes a bit more transparent than before. I'm digging the trip-hop~ish production too, a lot.

---

To add to the producer of the years lists, mine would probably go something like

KRIT
No I.D
Kanye
The Alchemist
Ski Beatz

Both of those last two getting in there for their stuff with Currency, for the most part; Ski did drop another Karate school, which was pretty good. I've yet to really listen to Clams.
00+Roc+Marciano+%2526+Gangrene-Greneberg+EP-WEB-2011-HHB.jpg

you listen to this? alc done good on the beats there too

Really thought production on WTT was disappointing, so kinda surprised to see Ye on everyone's list.

Not sure my full list but Kno would be there, Krit, Seven, probably no id. Not sure of the last spit, really don't feel lex beats

Recon

Banned
GodfatherX said:
Really thought production on WTT was disappointing, so kinda surprised to see Ye on everyone's list.

Not sure my full list but Kno would be there, Krit, Seven, probably no id. Not sure of the last spit, really don't feel lex beats

Agreed. I give Kanye shit for things, but honestly, his production on WTT was really average.

Esch

Banned
Blackace said:
Being solid is ok... But Kno hasn't shown me his highs like some other producers.. It's like Mannie Fresh, he isn't super consistent but damn are his highs crazy high...
this, kno really blew my mind with certain beats on oneirology(stars shine, murder) but there's a solid amount of ehhhh shit on there.

iavi

peterb0y said:
00+Roc+Marciano+%2526+Gangrene-Greneberg+EP-WEB-2011-HHB.jpg

you listen to this? alc done good on the beats there too

Nah, not yet. Good looking out though, I'll give it a spin. After Covert Coup I went on a huge binge of the dudes stuff, looking for his instrumental tapes and shit like that.

Ugh...listening to Eminem in a room full of girls who claim they're fans of his but have only heard his singles and recent stuff is super aggravating. Especially when I'm suggesting older songs and they're like "Uhh, this is boring, let's play *insert single* again!"

The most telling factor of determining if someone is a casual Em fan from an actual fan? They prefer Mockingbird to Halley's Song

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
If Eminem made an entire record like what he did with the Yelawolf track, I'd be back on the bandwagon with him again. But I don't think he'll ever pull out of this groanworthy "recovery" phase or whatever this is about now. The Eminem I like aint doing shit with B.o.B. (not that I don't like B.o.B., it's just not right).

Detox said:
I swear Beware the Zeitgeist is a old track is that just new lyrics? I can't even tell...
You see this folks, this post proves know one listen to records, smh. Back to the Dancing Spiderman, Batman, Venom and IronMan video on youtube....."Get loose wit it! Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung-Dung!!!! Get losse wit it!"

Btw, Finally got to hear Section80. Is the most overrated POS I heard all year. Don't understand the love for this album at all. But ya shit on Drake? Check ya selves, fo'real. That record needs more tracks like "Ronald Regan" and Spiteful Chant" Did not expect this wannabe R&B sounding record, leave that shit to Drake, homeboy does it better on all levels. And I'm not even a Drake fan, but I respect his work.

Double D

So I was watching TV last night and J Cole's Work Out video came on. Realized it's the first time I've really ever watched that guy in motion as opposed to just seeing him in pictures and hearing him rap. Anyways, dude's got some fucking creepy eyes. I felt like he was creeping on me through the TV at times.

ShinobiFist said:
Btw, Finally got to hear Section80. Is the most overrated POS I heard all year. Don't understand the love for this album at all. But ya shit on Drake? Check ya selves, fo'real. That record needs more tracks like "Ronald Regan" and Spiteful Chant" Did not expect this wannabe R&B sounding record, leave that shit to Drake, homeboy does it better on all levels. And I'm not even a Drake fan, but I respect his work.
Some of the tracks are meh, and I agree that there shoulda been more Reagan Era style songs, my favorite btw. He failed to fully display his ability in that regard.

With that said its still a top 10 of the year for me.

Recon

Banned
I didnt get a R&B vibe from Section80. I really like Section80, and Take Care, but i dont see them as similar at all. Weird.

Detox

Shinobi I felt the same way but it really grows on you. Songs just randomly popped up on shuffle and then Kendrick just clicked with me, so good. I think PD and some other guys said the same thing, it's some weird album. Friends didn't like it either and then I would sneak a track in here and there and now they like it. The production is awesome and gets better with each listen.

Ronald Reagan Era is the shit not sure why people keep recommending Hiipower when RRE is his best.

Recon

Banned
Detox said:
Shinobi I felt the same way but it really grows on you. Songs just randomly popped up on shuffle and then Kendrick just clicked with me, so good. I think PD and some other guys said the same thing, it's some weird album. Friends didn't like it either and then I would sneak a track in here and there and now they like it. The production is awesome and gets better with each listen.

Ronald Reagan Era is the shit not sure why people keep recommending Hiipower when RRE is his best.

Because Hiipower is just as good.

I try to listen to each release at least twice, at first sect. 80 was alright but around the 4th listen the album just clicks. The pacing is really good and cohesive. I just wish he had a few more RRE type songs. My only complaint really.

And I hated his accents at first too lol.

RJT

I love Section80. I had mixed feelings when I first heard it, but then had the urge to revisit it once in a while. It really grew on me, and it's now my second favorite album of the year.

overcast

Detox said:
Kendrick sounded angry on it but Cole's production just doesn't go hard at all.
Really? One of the best tracks on the album, partly because of the dope production.

So yeah... Yelawolf kind of let me down.

Detox

ReconYoda said:
And you think RRE goes hard? lol.
Well I just thought some hard drums (which judging by Cole's beats he must have deleted them off his computer) would have gone really well with the hook. RRE doesn't have the kind of anger HiiPower had in it, that whoopty hook works well with the beat.

Detox said:
Well I just thought some hard drums (which judging by Cole's beats he must have deleted them off his computer) would have gone really well with the hook. RRE doesn't have the kind of anger HiiPower had in it, that whoopty hook works well with the beat.
'California Dungeons'

For some reason sounds cool as fuck in that song.

Recon

Banned
Detox said:

To be fair, there is no production that "goes hard" on Section80, it is all pretty mellow.

Detox

True, if the Dre album goes through I hope Dre goes back to using strings a synthesis of piano riffs, strings and drums would go really well with Kendrick.

Esch

Banned
I wouldn't say Earl was amazing but it's one of like 3 OF releases i havent recyclebinned immediately. I enjoy his flow on a couple tracks, Pigeon for example

Anyway i'm wondering how his chops are now, i'm sure he's still been rapping but either way his comeback should be interesting.

Detox

MorisUkunRasik said:
'California Dungeons'

For some reason sounds cool as fuck in that song.
I like how most people on Youtube got it down as ft RZA makes it an easier sell to friends who only listen to mainstream music.

Me: Hey instead of just listening to Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Kanye and Eminem you should try newer guys.
Friend: Like who?
Me: Kendrick Lamar
Friend: Nah, I'm cool
Me: Just try this one track it's produced by RZA (I know it isn't)
Friend: Who is that?
Me: He produced New Day and Dark Fantasy
Friend: Ok

goodfella

ShinobiFist said:

Drake and K dot have completely different flows and subject matter.

#Section 80 AOTY.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The drums on Ronald Reagan Era are trash. Ruins the whole song. Same thing with Rigamortus, everything is gravy until the "my very first buildabeat" drum loop comes in.

Tyler is one of the top 5 worst producers of the year. It's the one thing that stops me from being a fan, he can't make a decent beat to save his life.

Oh and smh at the beginnings of kno backlash. I knew the "naw he's not that great" bullshit would start at some point, but I figured it would be after the next project dropped at least. Kno is a better producer than all your favorite beatmonkeys of the year put together, save for perhaps Krit.

DominoKid

Throavium said:
Why is Tyler so calm about it? Immediately I didn't believe him.

maybe he wants to let him get adjusted to real life for a little bit.

if he's back i'm sure Tyler will be acting a fool soon enough.

Detox

Keith Cooper – Saxophone/Flute
Danny Perez – Keyboard
Ralf Valencia – Bass
Manny Patino – Drums
AKA
ArtOfficial > Kno

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Detox said:
Keith Cooper – Saxophone/Flute
Danny Perez – Keyboard
Ralf Valencia – Bass
Manny Patino – Drums
AKA
ArtOfficial > Kno

You are comparing two very different things. One is a producer who works solo with largely digital equipment to create beats. The other is a collection of musicians who make songs with live instruments. Both are amazing artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom