• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

This is my shit right here.

Weeks after bewitching us as Ayshay on Tri Angle, Fatima Al Qadiri gives a superb single for the highly promising UNO imprint (recent host to music by Jacques Greene and CFCF). The NYC-based artist, musician and composer is already a favourite of Dan Lopatin and certainly has our approval at the very least, and justifiably so; she's making some of the most arresting, avant-cyber-pop sounds we've heard all year. 'Genre-Specific Xperience' is a sort of eerie meditation on simulated strains of R&B, intranational harmonics and ultra-saccharin synth music - from lilting metallo-carib timbres on 'Hip Hop Spa' and 'D-medley' through the oriental synth patterning of 'How Can I Resist U' and the RPG-drama of 'Vatican Vibes' (check the video on youtube!) or the militant Trance grind of her early 'Corpcore' ace. To us, there's a kindred spirit, in its off-kilter tuning and vision with, say Peter Christopherson's Threshold Household Boys Choir and Björk - a warped and cerebral pop spirit which we simply can't get enough of. Highly Recommended.

Hip Hop Spa - YT Link

Hip Hop Spa posits an uncanny parallel between the luxurious solitary confinement of a spa experience and the introspective image of prison solitary confinement often presented in contemporary, genre specific, Hip Hop cultural product. Solitary subconscious is the experience of virtual age Hip Hop culture. The track expands the lexicon of the genre, while questioning the general public's consumption of rap and hip hop aesthetics.

D-medley
How Can I Resis U
Vatican Vibes
Corpcore

joelseph

Throavium said:
I listen to every artist in the tracklist, I just thought it was random.

Sir, if you listen to Flying Lotus, Boards of Canada and Hudson Mohawke then I am preaching to the choir but I don't get that vibe from you. If you can name one band Nick Hook is in without Google then we will be buds for life!
The mix is really good, tis the only reason I was sharing it. No hard feelings.

Throavium

joelseph said:
Sir, if you listen to Flying Lotus, Boards of Canada and Hudson Mohawke then I am preaching to the choir but I don't get that vibe from you. If you can name one band Nick Hook is in without Google then we will be buds for life!
The mix is really good, tis the only reason I was sharing it. No hard feelings.
Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the mix is bad at all. Maybe it's the time that the songs came out? Maybe that's it, and not the artist.

Recon

Banned
Finally getting to listen to Dessa-Castor,The Twin. Really good, the production is fucking great.

Edit: Damn she kills it on Mineshaft....I think this might be a contender for AOTY for me. Definitely Top5.

ReconYoda said:
Finally getting to listen to Dessa-Castor,The Twin. Really good, the production is fucking great.

Edit: Damn she kills it on Mineshaft....I think this might be a contender for AOTY for me. Definitely Top5.

that "Anna Karenina" line still blows my mind every time I hear it.

Recon

Banned
soul creator said:
that "Anna Karenina" line still blows my mind every time I hear it.

That line is mind boggling. It flows so perfect and so fast. Plus the line itself is a nice obscure reference.

Speaking of Dessa, Doomtree's new album is pretty good, I think its their most accessible album to date. It kept me awake last night to writte a Spanish paper.

joelseph

Spanish? Mexicans can't Rap.

Himself of Shadowrunners and Nature Gang. If Wenis or any of you other west coast cats ever run with this crew holla at this kid and tell him he needs to visit Chicago. Shadowrunners is one of my most played tapes this year.

Acid08

Banned
People+Under+The+Stairs+-+Highlighter+COVER.jpg

PUTS new album came out recently, it's pretty damn good! Can't find any of the tracks streaming but seriously, it's good stuff. "Selfish Destruction" and "At The House" are awesome.

Acid08 said:

PUTS new album came out recently, it's pretty damn good! Can't find any of the tracks streaming but seriously, it's good stuff. "Selfish Destruction" and "At The House" are awesome.

I've only heard Acid Raindrops by them so I guess the time is now to check them out proper. Any other releases I should listen to?

JackEtc

Acid08 said:

Holy shit, I LOVE O.S.T. (only album I have by them), didn't even know about this!

kamspy said:
Well Done is nice as hell. Action is the hardest working MC of 2011.

Racist!

Great album. First couple tracks left me stale/worried but everything afterward is good to awesome. Props to Meyhem Lauren dropping some epic verses too

Acid08

Banned
apocalidiot said:
I've only heard Acid Raindrops by them so I guess the time is now to check them out proper. Any other releases I should listen to?
Fun DMC, O.S.T., Next Step and Highlighter are my favorite releases from them.

Slizz

DominoKid said:
I'll never get how rappers can be high all the time.

My brain starts to feel fried if i'm high for too long

Thats why they booze too. Then you either pass out and chill or throw up and party some more.

EDIT: Cocaine counteracts the bud too lol(not all do it but I'm sure a lot do)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
kamspy said:
Well Done is nice as hell. Action is the hardest working MC of 2011.
Three great albums in one year. I'm not even peeping Well Done until my CD gets here on the 22nd, but I already know.

If ya'll don't vote Bronsonelli RoTY, I will be shocked.

CRS

Spitta says hello

If he releases that new tape this year, Big K.R.I.T. will be a serious contender for me as well.

All those guest features and production on top of the new albums is just as good as the three(?) tapes Spitta has released this year.

CRS

Still getting through the large batch of tapes from a couple of weeks ago.

GSTcover.jpg

An early favorite so far. Got a lot of headbangers on here.

kamspy

Yeah despite the corny sample, this beat fucking bangs. This is getting a spot next to Awesome Awesome in the playlist for the car.

Be careful not to dumb out too hard to this one. I don't even know if I can play it in the ride without crashing.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Be careful not to dumb out too hard to this one. I don't even know if I can play it in the ride without crashing.

Luckily I live in the middle of fuck ass nowhere, so worst case scenario I'll just find myself driving in the woods trying to run over motherfucking deer and shit while I hang out the window screaming obscenities.

testing this fancy smancy in thread edit

Esch

Banned
Speaking of Spitta, i'm really enjoying this album with him and his weed carriers. Give it a listen, the production at the very least is good!

Jet-World-Order-Jet-Life-Album-Cover-Artwork.jpg

a lot of the JETS GET LIFTED talk as usual but w/e its good and catchy

overcast

Lupe Fiasco's Friend Of The People Mixtape drops Thanksgiving. I liked the song he dropped from it, hoping this is more The Cool than LASERS. You have one more chance with me Lupe, im ready.
You better not fuck this one up Lupe..

I still need to listen to Jet Life. Also, I don't know if I like the way Cudi is describing his new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom