• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

That's actually spot on. It's easier to maintain an image when it's limited the tracks, magazine articles and video interviews. I do think that the benefits of Twitter far outweighs the negs, but I can't lie; some dudes do need to shut the hell up, with both their bs and those fucking retweets.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That's actually spot on. It's easier to maintain an image when it's limited the tracks, magazine articles and video interviews. I do think that the benefits of Twitter far outweighs the negs, but I can't lie; some dudes do need to shut the hell up, with both their bs and those fucking retweets.

Some dudes are actually themselves with the image, so the tweets are just an extension. But some you can tell have a filter on record, but on twitter they let it all hang out with some terrible results.

TheOddOne

2012 prediction: Act II doesn't come out, Roc Nation lets Jay Elec go
Jay Elec goes to Interscope.
Dr. Dre working on his album.
We wait 6 years, album gets dropped via E1.
Full of rock beats, Kampy shows his undying love for it.
GAF-Hop doesn't give a fuck, trashes Jay.
Saigon and Jay Elec come together to make a collab album.
Collab gets released via Amalgam Digital.
GAF-Hop discusses the potential that Jay had.
Becomes one of the key subjects in the GAF-Hop cycle.
Diddy laughing in secret.

Which comes out first, Detox, TM103 or Act II?

TM103 is coming out this year right? Pretty ironic considering Ross got pushed back.

this is what I'm guessing: Jay Elec refuses to release or promote Act II and Roc Nation decides to cut ties. Jay goes back to Decon or something and releases a free mixtape. He's clearly not willing to be on anyone's clock but his own, and that shit doesn't fly with labels - especially Jay-Z. Elec could be making major dough in Europe right now touring, but he's sits around doing nothing apparently. I doubt Roc Nation is happy about that considering he (most likely) has a 360 deal.

IMO Detox could come out summer 2012, but I wouldn't bet on it. Eventually Dre has to release something, even if it's just a ploy to sell more headphones.

Throavium

TM103 is slated to drop on December 20th. If it gets pushed back from this date I'll probably lose interest in the album completely.

HiResDes

41BYN0808XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

iavi

"The Walk" bored the hell out of me. I thought The Blur was ok, but my love for Quest is gone. I'll check his next release out, but I ain't hyped for it.

xeereex 0 minutes ago
I don't want more American artists in Korean music shows.

I switched to Kpop because i got tired of disgusting/offensive American song lyrics.

looooooooool

Uhhhh shoot a bitch in the face
Uhhhh sell drugs and shoot more bitches
Uhhhh repeat these two lines over and over
Uhhhh get other dumbfucks who aspire to be worthless drains on society just like me to listen to my music
Uhhhh do a little dance like I'm a fucking clown in the circus while rich white men get richer off me
Uhhhh don't invest in anything but cars and ugly jewlery
Uhhhh now I'll be broke sucking dick for 5 bucks in 5 years
Uhhhh but for now don't bother to wonder why we celebrate dumbfuck ignorant ass bullshit in hip hop like the dipshit self loathing asshat tools we are.
Uhhhh

There I've explained 90% of the bullshit some of you fools listen to.
is it alright if I read the "Uhhhh"'s like Master P grunts?

if so, I'm feeling it. You should put that to a No Limit beat. People would buy the fuck out of it.

Recon

Banned

This might be the funniest thing i have read on gaf.

not that he is bad though, right?

I know its cool to hate on him now, but his tape was dope guys.

His tape was dope. If you liked Lupe pre-lasers, then you will enjoy it. Some people have hated on him for awhile, so Lasers was a reason to do so publicly. Lasers was bad, FOTP is good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
His tape was dope. If you liked Lupe pre-lasers, then you will enjoy it. Some people have hated on him for awhile, so Lasers was a reason to do so publicly. Lasers was bad, FOTP is good.
After only one listen of FOTP, I think Lasers was about the same. Maybe FOTP is slightly better. The production on the majority of FOTP is just.. I don't want to say bad but does not fit Lupe at all. And many of the verses feel tired from Lupe. I'm not seeing the comparisons to pre-Lasers Lupe either, the overall sound of it is pretty Lasers, and there aren't any great verses or anything memorable like pre-Lasers stuff.

Two actually good songs on there are SLR and Super Cold. Maybe my mind will change with more listens, but this was pretty disappointing. Especially those first few tracks that scare you into thinking Lupe has gone full retard, but it get's better as the tape goes on.

I think The Cool has spoiled me.

Recon

Banned
After only one listen of FOTP, I think Lasers was about the same. Maybe FOTP is slightly better. The production on the majority of FOTP is just.. I don't want to say bad but does not fit Lupe at all. And many of the verses feel tired from Lupe. I'm not seeing the comparisons to pre-Lasers Lupe either, the overall sound of it is pretty Lasers, and there aren't any great verses or anything memorable like pre-Lasers stuff.

Two actually good songs on there are SLR and Super Cold. Maybe my mind will change with more listens, but this was pretty disappointing. Especially those first few tracks that scare you into thinking Lupe has gone full retard, but it get's better as the tape goes on.

I think The Cool has spoiled me.

Double Burger with Cheese/Joaquin Phoenix are both great tracks that would fit in anywhere pre-lasers. Lupe isnt the same rapper as before, but FOTP is leagues better than lazy, uninspired Lasers. You can tell he has some energy on these tracks.

what's up fellow gaf-hoppers? check out this track that I produced for some album that should be dropping next year suckaaaaas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hfu30RjPdI0

oh, and...

L’Orange – Old Soul (2011)
172059375-1.jpg

http://lorange.bandcamp.com/album/old-soul

DL this album, to wash off that horrible Lupe, crap.

thank you for showing this to me. this is so fucking dope! i'm loving it.

I've always loved their second album, but I've never heard this one yet for some reason. I'll have to change that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Double Burger with Cheese/Joaquin Phoenix are both great tracks that would fit in anywhere pre-lasers. Lupe isnt the same rapper as before, but FOTP is leagues better than lazy, uninspired Lasers. You can tell he has some energy on these tracks.
I interpret "isn't the same rapper as before" as "isn't as good as he was before." Lasers was pretty uninspired I agree, but I'm not seeing any inspiration in this effort either. Not seeing the energy everyone's talking about either, Lupe sounds almost bored on some of these tracks. I don't know if it's the delivery or what.

Double Burger with Cheese and Joaquin Phoenix are alright, beat is kind of annoying on Joaquin Phoenix though. Nearly every other song not mentioned thus far is mediocre to bad though.

Natiko

Banned
Just wanted to add that Joaquin Phoenix isn't anything Lupe recorded recently. It was on a Travis Barker mixtape mooonths ago.

Edit: Though obviously it wasn't this full song and had a DJ ect. on it. Just thought I'd point it out because I wouldn't take it as a sign of Lupe's return to form or anything like that..

Recon

Banned
I interpret "isn't the same rapper as before" as "isn't as good as he was before." Lasers was pretty uninspired I agree, but I'm not seeing any inspiration in this effort either. Not seeing the energy everyone's talking about either, Lupe sounds almost bored on some of these tracks. I don't know if it's the delivery or what.

Double Burger with Cheese and Joaquin Phoenix are alright, beat is kind of annoying on Joaquin Phoenix though. Nearly every other song not mentioned thus far is mediocre to bad though.

I guess i just disagree. I find him energetic and his flow and delivery are much better than on Lasers. My issues with his choice of beats aside, this was a great release. Only tracks i didnt like were Lupe Back and Friend Of The People. Everything else was magnitudes better than Lasers.

Jay Sosa

Finally downloaded and listened to Glover's "Culdesac". Really good stuff, his voice takes some getting used to but I rather hear a unique strange than a generic one. Definitely sold me on his album.

EDIT: Did someone buy the retail and can tell me if it's worth the 5 bucks more? Does it come with a nice booklet?

EDIT²: Any other widely unknown albums worth getting?

After reading that hires thread:

17cjt.gif

EDIT³: F-...it Camp is only 8$ so I bought the retail. Also ordered take care(even though I really haven't liked what I heard so far) wonder years and trunk muzik. I hope you guys are right that Yelas debut is any good. If not I'm gonna gift it to my brother :D

coldvein

Banned
i was wondering how long it'd take HiRes' thread to show up in here... heh.

in hiphop news, i've been enjoying this a$ap rocky..thing..much more than i should be. constant play. wtf.

Kaizer

Banned
I don't know why I keep giving Lupe chances... godfuckingdamnit

I often wonder if we'll ever get anything like Food & Liquor, The Cool or the Fahrenheit 1/15 mixtapes from him ever again. Dude has gotten more consistently "blah" over the years. FOTP was a start, but it's nothing earth shattering and certainly not a return to form. I understand musicians evolve over time and change their styles, but with Lupe it seems he's more sidestepped his progress as an MC & artist rather than taken the next step forward.

Throavium

What I find most appalling about Lupe is the fact that he probably does not think the Fahrenheit 1/15 series was a good one. Stop using such electronic oriented beats and use good ones like on those mixtapes.

And stop getting people to sing the hooks, he did the same thing on The Cool and F&L, but they didn't feel forced, and they didn't feel like he got some random singer to fill in a void that would otherwise be Lupe rapping his own hooks.

Think we could get another track like Go Go Gadget flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom