• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
IrishNinja said:
oh good we're pretending Illmatic wasn't Illmatic again :lol

pe93d.jpg

(sorry hootie, i love this image though, haha)

*edit: i cant say shit about dreams-visions tracklist, straight classics

Don't you think by now the number one spot I'm not concerned with it
The course of rap I'm turnin it
Back to that good old fashioned way of getting cash money by earning it
No bogus hocus pocus, I bring back to focus
Skills if you notice my position is lotus
Now quote this, MC's are just hopeless
Thinkin record sales make them the dopest

- Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone

no one said he was the dopest and thats subjective and i think if you can get people to reach into their pocket and pull out there hard earned money to buy your product, you must be doing something right.

hell 50 Tyson has more grind and markets himself better than half these rappers, and he's autistic :lol

It Was Written was a good album i don't care what anyone says lol

rossonero

What is the party top 10 hip hop songs in 2010 according to you guys? I've enjoyed Kid Cudi, Add 2, Joe Budden and so on but there aren't many of the songs that would suit a party. Or am I wrong?

IrishNinja

ThePrivateCookie said:
no one said he was the dopest and thats subjective and i think if you can get people to reach into their pocket and pull out there hard earned money to buy your product, you must be doing something right.l

i'm saying, though - it's a bad criteria to have, because by that call, souljah boy > most of the underground MC's this thread follows. it's nice when quality gets radio play, but that only happens now when it follows the formula: some luda, Jay-z (black album in 2003 or so was a godsend to texas radio, for me :lol), not like in the day when EPMD, wu etc could go gold or beyond just on word of mouth/songs not at all written/produced to be approachable by radio or clubs, doing that now on anything but a mixtape is like sending your album to die on the billboards.

i mean, yeah, you're doing something right, by way of being a successful entertainer and making money, and those aren't bad things. but they also =/= being a quality MC, a big part of which is consistency. anyone tells me they didn't bump Get Rich or Die Tryin' and ill call them a liar, almost the whole album was raw...but since then? Massacre on (for me) should've been called Got Rich, Stopped Tryin' (from the Snoop Dogg school of autopilot™). i love 50's tweets, ill prolly read his laws of power thing sometime, but i sure hope his next effort is more solid than before i self destruct, personally.

kamspy

The Massacre was a little better than Dogfather. Curtis and Self Destruct I couldn't even listen to once through. Same with the Yayo album. The G Unit album was decent. Buck and Game albums were crazy good.

And he did basically invent the modern mixtape. Before it was always about the DJ.

rossonero said:
What is the party top 10 hip hop songs in 2010 according to you guys? I've enjoyed Kid Cudi, Add 2, Joe Budden and so on but there aren't many of the songs that would suit a party. Or am I wrong?

Well you asked for Party Songs....

"Hard In The Paint" Waka Flocka
"No Hands" Waka Flocka, Wale, Roscoe Dash
"Beamer Benz, Or Bentley" Lloyd Banks, Juelz Santana
"Start It Up" Lloyd Banks, Kanye, Fabolous, Swizz Beatz, Ryan Leslie
"Black & Yellow" Wiz Khalifa
"Blowing Money Fast" Rick Ross
"Buzzin" Mann, 50 Cent
"Teach Me How To Dougie" Cali Swag District
"All I Do Is Win" Dj Khaled
"Hello Good Morning" Diddy, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross

IrishNinja said:
i'm saying, though - it's a bad criteria to have, because by that call, souljah boy > most of the underground MC's this thread follows. it's nice when quality gets radio play, but that only happens now when it follows the formula: some luda, Jay-z (black album in 2003 or so was a godsend to texas radio, for me :lol), not like in the day when EPMD, wu etc could go gold or beyond just on word of mouth/songs not at all written/produced to be approachable by radio or clubs, doing that now on anything but a mixtape is like sending your album to die on the billboards.

i mean, yeah, you're doing something right, by way of being a successful entertainer and making money, and those aren't bad things. but they also =/= being a quality MC, a big part of which is consistency. anyone tells me they didn't bump Get Rich or Die Tryin' and ill call them a liar, almost the whole album was raw...but since then? Massacre on (for me) should've been called Got Rich, Stopped Tryin' (from the Snoop Dogg school of autopilot™). i love 50's tweets, ill prolly read his laws of power thing sometime, but i sure hope his next effort is more solid than before i self destruct, personally.

i wasn't using that criteria to judge him as a rapper, he's pretty basic to be honest, curtis was lyrically trash on most songs but the beats were good, he came better lyrically on bsid but the production was so dated i couldn't get into and the dr. dre beats were trash on that album.

The Massacre was good, it was too long and had too much filler. i hope he comes harder this album. *Shrugs* we'll see this year maybe

IrishNinja

cant speak on Buck, but +1 on Game, Banks too if he'd get his shit together.

kamspy said:
And he did basically invent the modern mixtape. Before it was always about the DJ.

ive heard this before, and i guess its kinda right since most mixtapes i had prior were dj cuts (primo, etc) or just a collection of radio freestyles/b-sides, but then outta nowhere i was all over Mood Muzik and such. this was fif's doing, then?

ThePrivateCookie said:
Well you asked for Party Songs....

"Hard In The Paint" Waka Flocka
"No Hands" Waka Flocka, Wale, Roscoe Dash
"Beamer Benz, Or Bentley" Lloyd Banks, Juelz Santana
"Start It Up" Lloyd Banks, Kanye, Fabolous, Swizz Beatz, Ryan Leslie
"Black & Yellow" Wiz Khalifa
"Blowing Money Fast" Rick Ross
"Buzzin" Mann, 50 Cent
"Teach Me How To Dougie" Cali Swag District
"All I Do Is Win" Dj Khaled
"Hello Good Morning" Diddy, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross
your lack of Soulja Boy disturbs me.

that song about Swag is still played with alarming regularity.

HiResDes said:
Edit: Also every Nas album has at least one bag, even Nastradamus has Shoot Em Up' which is a perfect song for this time of the season

sorry I'm studying for finals and missed the last page's Nas talk and as a Nas fan I had to butt in.

someone said It Was Written > Illmatic? No. It Was Written is great, no doubt about it, but Illmatic is just ... damn.

I cannot listen to Shoot Em Up even if it is "that time of the year" I always can't get over the fact in my head, "Wait what the hell this is a Christmas beat." :lol :lol :lol :lol But Nas did slay that beat.

Off of Nastradamus? This is the only track I can 100% get behind. Thank you Premo.

Come Get Me.

I don't give a fuck if y'all were done talking about God's Son before and I missed it. Just wanted that to be known before anyone catches feelings. :lol

IrishNinja said:
cant speak on Buck, but +1 on Game, Banks too if he'd get his shit together.

ive heard this before, and i guess its kinda right since most mixtapes i had prior were dj cuts (primo, etc) or just a collection of radio freestyles/b-sides, but then outta nowhere i was all over Mood Muzik and such. this was fif's doing, then?

yeah he basically invented the modern mixtape format with a collection of songs from one artist, other artists were doing it at the time to like dipset but 50 was the first to blow up from it.

Nabs

Come Get Me is alright, but sounds kind of rushed. I prefer songs like "...Angels" and "Life We Chose". The original "Project Windows" was a favorite of mine as well. "Family" was ruined by Dame Grease (heard a remix that made the song a classic Mobb/Nas collab :|)

Lets forget the IWW vs Illmatic argument. I'll make a better statement. IWW > Reasonable Doubt.

kamspy

IrishNinja said:

If nothing else he put artist mixtapes (not dj) on a much bigger stage.

Unrelated: the little keyboard melody loop on Take One for the Team (good friday) is bangin. I listen to it a few times a day lately. Not the big dramatic one at the end, the one that rides the whole beat.

Midnight Marauders is the best party album.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dreams-Visions said:
I'll only say this:

The Message
Street Dreams
I Gave You Power
Nas Is Coming
Watch Dem Ni**as
Affirmative Action
If I Ruled The World (Imagine That)

unforgettable classics from IWW that heavily impacted my early hip-hop life and appreciation for substantive rhymes.
Seriously the first time I Gave You Power came on.. SHHHIIIIIIT.

Come on peeps, Nas went crazy on It Was Written.

I'm going to go bump it right now, in fact.
ThePrivateCookie said:
Soulja Boy ft Lil B - 30 Thousand 100 Million
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUvM4JrlDY

god why do i like this? LMAO :lol
The random flashes to Lil B master chef cooking seal the deal for me. :lol

enzo_gt said:
I'm ashamed to like this. Absolutely, ashamed.

I didn't even know that Pretty Boy Swag song was popular. Wtf.

you shouldn't feel ashamed. like what you like. you are you, who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks.

you should be able to like what you like and dislike what you dislike. other people who pass judgement on it are just dipshits imo

IrishNinja

ShinobiFist said:
This. You fools need to listen to illmatic again. Is not as good as you guys think. And who brought in Sales-Age into GAF-HOP?:lol

kinda weird comparison given the # of tracks on each, but...i think i skip 1 song on illmatic, can loop that shit otherwise. It Was Written...i skip way more. back up your argument, son!

also: Khaled's the local DJ out here, wish i liked him more than i do...which tracks did he cut with Nas? links!

exarkun

Im currently studying for my last final and needed some motivation so I got out my ollld harddrive and started listening to my mixtape collection from 04-07 and it made me realize how fucking professional new mixtapes are. Wayne's first mixtape of 04? Really really shitty sound quality and it sounds like he is in his basement. Z ro in 04? Terrible quality. But they sound like they are having so much fun and edits are so brazen/obvious.

I want that back.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
Trying to resurrect the spirit of A Milli I see.
They already boasted it as being "A Milli" on crack. It's not. I'm not mad at this though, and I know his new main fanbase will eat it up.

Is Cory Gunz signed? Wayne talked of a new big signee to Young Money. And Cory shouted out Cash Money on the track too. And Weezy said he'd do a Dedication IV with Drama, so we'll see what Wayne does with his career. At least he knows now not to use autotune as a crutch.

DominoKid said:
sounds too much like Im Goin In
I'm not hearing it, but that song was/is great. One of Drake's best verses for sure.

hubes

enzo_gt said:
They already boasted it as being "A Milli" on crack. It's not. I'm not mad at this though, and I know his new main fanbase will eat it up.

Is Cory Gunz signed? Wayne talked of a new big signee to Young Money. And Cory shouted out Cash Money on the track too. And Weezy said he'd do a Dedication IV with Drama, so we'll see what Wayne does with his career. At least he knows now not to use autotune as a crutch.

I'm not hearing it, but that song was/is great. One of Drake's best verses for sure.
cory gunz signed to young money a while back

exarkun

peterb0y said:
After my first listen, I think the beat sucks. Its actually so annoying to me that I can't even focus on what the hell wayne's saying. I guess it doesn't really matter cuz wayne hasn't been the same since the carter 3 (I know people think he fell off before that, but I think that album was okay)

Beat overpowers the shit out of him, need to either tune it down or do something different.
I think the beat is a little too laid back to replicate Goin In.

Lyrically though, its pretty classic wayne. Couple chuckle moments in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom