• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
exarkun said:
Damn Dreams, Goodie Mob was my shit for a while
Still Standing is still one of my top 10 hip-hop albums ever. To this day, I still listen to several tracks off that album every month without fail. It stood my test of time.

and who can complain about Cell Therapy, Dirty South, and Soul Food off the Soul Food album?

<3

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
K.Jack said:
Damn XV, if you can't freestyle off the dome, then just don't. Keep spitting written raps if that's your lane.
That was freestyling off the top (least most of it was). Most freestyles today are just prewritten. Even drake has to whip out his black berry.

Most of J Cole's freestyle was prewritten as well, but I guess later he started going off the top and showed his skill.

IrishNinja

goddammit, im not DLing every recommendation in this thread until i get caught up, my hip-hop backlog is shameful. running with Curren$y at the moment.

Dreams-Visions said:
word.

I did get that Weatherman LP. I just...I really liked them as groups. I guess I'll add them to the pile of all the dead groups I really miss now:

-Dilated Peoples
-Fort Minor
-Outkast
-Little Brother
-The Fugees
-Goodie MoB
-Slum Village

At least we still have Wu and The Roots, right? :-(

aw, yeah...Dialated was good, i loved Slum Village, didn't know Little Brother was out. everytime a friend of mine bumps "Fuck you" i tell him to jump on Soul Food by Goodie Mob, haha.

1) fuck happened to Tribe? i thought they got their egos tied up when they put out "IC U doin it" or whatever that single was, then nothing. years later, they're at Rock The Bells here in MIA and im all excited till i hear they're like the only act not going to the after party...and now, nothing. i mean, im sure Tip can eat, but fuck is Phife/Jerobi etc doing? they leave a void in my musical collection.

2) Big Boi's album was solid. every track Andre steps on is still elevated for him doing so, i love hearing him even on some radio remix shit. did they make too much money on speakerboxxx or what's the deal?

ps that Evidence - I dont need love DL link is dead, anyone got another?

I think they're signed to different labels who don't want them working together. Or something like that. Sad, as OutKast was one of the truly amazing groups.

and some of the rhymes Dre put together (Da Art of Storytellin' Part 4, anyone? Royal Flush?)...legendary shit.

IrishNinja

^^ yes to both those tracks, perfect examples. 3k is so versatile, i wish more were like him.

weird they'd agree to work like that, im sure they got paid top dollar but andre hasn't done anything of his own since, right? hard to picture any label not wanting to make more money with a surefire thing like Outkast, but we could do a whole thread on stupid shit hip hop labels have done/do.

Tokubetsu

Dreams-Visions said:
I think they're signed to different labels who don't want them working together. Or something like that. Sad, as OutKast was one of the truly amazing groups.

and some of the rhymes Dre put together (Da Art of Storytellin' Part 4, anyone? Royal Flush?)...legendary shit.

Yea, Andre is still on Jive and Big Boi is on Def Jam. That's why he wasn't on Big Boi's album, Jive didn't want to play nice. All those Big boi and andre tracks you heard this year and even that card one from last year were supposed to be on the album. Big Boi even told fans on his twitter which "slot" they'd be in if they were on the album a little while after release on twitter. He would have been on something like 3 tracks.

Dre was staying busy since group hiatus though, he had that cartoon on cartoon network for awhile that was pretty good and lasted a couple seasons and he still acts.

I'm still confused on why Tribe broke up/has problems with each other. Tip apparently has accused Phife of hiding behind his diabetes and not showing up to concerts, but tbh...doesn't Phife need Tip far more than Tip needs Phife? Why would he purposely bail out on making money; Tip is probably financially stable due to being a producer and touring more.

Seems like nearly every hip hop group breaks up over money, with the rappers on one side and the producer on the other. Little Brother is probably the best "recent" example: producer is making good money outside the group, rappers get jealous and shit hits the fan : /

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
I'm still confused on why Tribe broke up/has problems with each other. Tip apparently has accused Phife of hiding behind his diabetes and not showing up to concerts, but tbh...doesn't Phife need Tip far more than Tip needs Phife? Why would he purposely bail out on making money; Tip is probably financially stable due to being a producer and touring more.

Seems like nearly every hip hop group breaks up over money, with the rappers on one side and the producer on the other. Little Brother is probably the best "recent" example: producer is making good money outside the group, rappers get jealous and shit hits the fan : /

Is the LB problem really that simple though? Everything I've seen points to 9th's head just swelling and not wanting to kick with the dudes he came up with anymore. Not to mention the stink from earlier this year where 9th was taking shots at them via twitter and Phonte tried to have a sit down but 9th just wasn't having it.

HiResDes

Bad_Boy said:
That was freestyling off the top (least most of it was). Most freestyles today are just prewritten. Even drake has to whip out his black berry.

Most of J Cole's freestyle was prewritten as well, but I guess later he started going off the top and showed his skill.
I like how you sound even Drake, as if he was gold standard for freestyling :lol

Tokubetsu said:
Is the LB problem really that simple though? Everything I've seen points to 9th's head just swelling and not wanting to kick with the dudes he came up with anymore. Not to mention the stink from earlier this year where 9th was taking shots at them via twitter and Phonte tried to have a sit down but 9th just wasn't having it.
surprising. I loved Little Brother.

unlike most people, the first album of theirs I ever heard was Getback. honestly, I loved their style and honesty. I could chant Extra Hard. I could reminisce about my own life experiences in Good Clothes or Step It Up. The phrase "Do you really wanna win? Or just look good losing..." in Dreams resonates to this day, along with his experiences in going back home to see old friends struggling. The album hasn't really left my rotation since I first heard it in '08.

Beats may not have been perfect and the rhymes may have not been the best I ever heard...but the stories, messages and situations were real to me. I then grabbed The Minstrel Show and others. Saw them in concert at U of Michigan and got a picture with them. So my appreciation for that group is stronger than most. So I wish them both well.

Tokubetsu

Dreams-Visions said:
surprising. I loved Little Brother.

unlike most people, the first album of theirs I ever heard was Getback. honestly, I loved their style and honesty. I could chant Extra Hard. I could reminisce about my own life experiences in Good Clothes or Step It Up. The phrase "Do you really wanna win? Or just look good losing..." in Dreams resonates to this day, along with his experiences in going back home to see old friends struggling. The album hasn't really left my rotation since I first heard it in '08.

Beats may not have been perfect and the rhymes may have not been the best I ever heard...but the stories, messages and situations were real to me. I then grabbed The Minstrel Show and others. Saw them in concert at U of Michigan and got a picture with them. So my appreciation for that group is stronger than most. So I wish them both well.

Phonte is doing alright, him and nicolay got a grammy nom for The Foreign Exchange.

CRS

For all you California Hip-Hop Gaffers:

Black Star, Immortal Techique, Murs, and more are playing in San Bernadino in April next year.

General public sale opens today (Sat 12/11) at 10 AM (less than 8 hours from the time of this post). $59.00 - $159.00

I fucking love Black Star so I'm definitely going to make this show. Driving 3 hours just to see this.

Purchase here.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
HiResDes said:
I like how you sound even Drake, as if he was gold standard for freestyling :lol

It's just an example, not the standard.

But you're right. lol Maybe I should of said cassidy or iron solomon?

RPS37

ChldRebelSoldr said:
For all you California Hip-Hop Gaffers:

Black Star, Immortal Techique, Murs, and more are playing in San Bernadino in April next year.

General public sale opens today (Sat 12/11) at 10 AM (less than 8 hours from the time of this post). $59.00 - $159.00

I fucking love Black Star so I'm definitely going to make this show. Driving 3 hours just to see this.

Purchase here.

Good lookin out.

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
So I just listened to all of the previews and I totally like the beat selection. I'll download it when it's done.
We just jack beats, and do bum ass freestyles or pre-thought out rhymes...We don't even write anything down.

Tokubetsu said:

I got the impression Phonte started it. Around the time the tension began I remember him criticizing 9th's production style, saying he should implement live instruments into his work and move away from soul loops (which I agree with 100%). I don't think it's as much to do with 9th wanting to move past his roots. He's producing for a bunch of North Carolina rappers/bums right now. I'd imagine he's still pissed at Phonte's comments, and upset they'd accuse him of selling out/refusing to give them his best beats.

Also remember when Baatin died he 9th reached out to Phonte again. Nothing must have come to it, and a few months later there was the twitter drama

JEKKI

help!! can someone help me?!?! where have I heard this beat before?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-xst4jtBo

I swear it's a song I prolly useta bump daily, but I jus cant put my finger on it...

I listen to too much rap music so I get frustrated when I hear familiar songs, beats, or lyrics and cant remember where they lie in my memory >_<

PhoenixDark said:
I got the impression Phonte started it. Around the time the tension began I remember him criticizing 9th's production style, saying he should implement live instruments into his work and move away from soul loops (which I agree with 100%). I don't think it's as much to do with 9th wanting to move past his roots. He's producing for a bunch of North Carolina rappers/bums right now. I'd imagine he's still pissed at Phonte's comments, and upset they'd accuse him of selling out/refusing to give them his best beats.

Also remember when Baatin died he 9th reached out to Phonte again. Nothing must have come to it, and a few months later there was the twitter drama
interesting.

through really...you know when someone is giving you their best work. because you can hear what they're doing for other people. sad to hear their relationship soured.

Ashhong

dude...that cant seriously be off Coles head could it? it has to be some verses hes already had in his head or something. cause goddamn, thats better than like 90% of the album verses ive heard all year from others.

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
dude...that cant seriously be off Coles head could it? it has to be some verses hes already had in his head or something. cause goddamn, thats better than like 90% of the album verses ive heard all year from others.
We've already talked about this, it's not off the top of his head.

DominoKid

2cfd4za.jpg

hell yeah.

PhoenixDark said:
Two "smash" features nowhere on the hot 100, yea :lol

Banks flopped by 50's standards, admit it. Or did you conviently forget him shitting on independent deals back when he was sort of relevant.

you're sooooooooooooooooo slow :lol :lol :lol :lol

Down On Me is On The Hot 100 @ 72 And Rising
http://www.billboard.com/song/jerem...jeremih-featuring-50-cent/down-on-me/22762510

Buzzin is climbing top 40 radio with almost 1000 spins a week and it'll probably debut On the hot 100 once single sales pick up. and the video came out a few days ago and already has over 700k view on youtube alone. without any promo on tv :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4r3Owl215U

and 50 Shitted On artist that bricked independently WHEN RECORDS WERE GOING MULTIPLATINUM name a rapper besides eminem that does that in this day and age, within the past 2 years 09-10.

since when has banks EVER been as big as 50 Cent? why should you hold him to a standard of someone who sold 12 million records on their debut? You're just trolling because you have some sort of vendetta against a person you haven't even met, but dislike for whatever reason. :lol

ThePrivateCookie said:
you're sooooooooooooooooo slow :lol :lol :lol :lol

Down On Me is On The Hot 100 @ 72 And Rising
http://www.billboard.com/song/jerem...jeremih-featuring-50-cent/down-on-me/22762510

Buzzin is climbing top 40 radio with almost 1000 spins a week and it'll probably debut On the hot 100 once single sales pick up. and the video came out a few days ago and already has over 700k view on youtube alone. without any promo on tv :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4r3Owl215U

and 50 Shitted On artist that bricked independently WHEN RECORDS WERE GOING MULTIPLATINUM name a rapper besides eminem that does that in this day and age, within the past 2 years 09-10.

since when has banks EVER been as big as 50 Cent? why should you hold him to a standard of someone who sold 12 million records on their debut? You're just trolling because you have some sort of vendetta against a person you haven't even met, but dislike for whatever reason. :lol

Seriously

since when is a song at 72 on the Hot 11 a "smash" :lol

50 and G-Unit are irrelevant, get over it. 50 is funny on twitter but no one wants to hear him mumble more shit. Wayne's reign is going to last a lot longer than 50's hot few summers.

PBY

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Seriously

since when is a song at 72 on the Hot 11 a "smash" :lol

50 and G-Unit are irrelevant, get over it. 50 is funny on twitter but no one wants to hear him mumble more shit. Wayne's reign is going to last a lot longer than 50's hot few summers.
Wayne's on the decline already man

Fixed2BeBroken said:
OMG...WHAT IS THE FIRST BEAT THEY RHYME too?!!?!?!!?

I need to spit on that NOW!

help me, what is it?!

The instrumental...i don't care about the song.
Dude, seriously? I posted the source a few post above you. Jesus, this has to be the only thread in GAF were no one reads any previous pages or post.

peterb0y said:
Wayne's on the decline already man

Agreed, I don't even like him but he's still the "biggest" rapper out.

I just find it hilarious that the same people who's stannerism and obsession over numbers contributed to the ruining of hip hop find themselves supporting a group of has beens who no longer sell, no longer are relevant to hip hop, etc. Jay-Z started the obsession with numbers, but 50 took it to another level - and I'm having a blast watching his shit flop.

ShinobiFist said:
Dude, seriously? I posted the source a few post above you. Jesus, this has to be the only thread in GAF were no one reads any previous pages or post.

I said the instrumental sucka foo! not bobby creekwater garbage ass. :lol

Fixed2BeBroken said:
I said the instrumental sucka foo! not bobby creekwater garbage ass. :lol
You ask where is it from, and I told your poser ass it was already posted. Not my fault your too lazy to Google who produce "OJ Simpson" or better yet, actually read the original post, son. And Bobby is a solid rapper, kill that noise.

HiResDes

ShinobiFist said:
You ask where is it from, and I told your poser ass it was already posted. Not my fault your too lazy to Google who produce "OJ Simpson" or better yet, actually read the original post, son. And Bobby is a solid rapper, kill that noise.
This is the post I was gonna make, :

Edit: Creekwater's Revenge is gonna be sick, maybe you haven't heard Airborne, yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom