• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezy

I can't stop listening to Trunk Musik 0-60. Easily one of my favorite albums of the year. Yelawolf deserves to blow. I never even would've heard of him if it wasn't for his feature on Big Boi's album.

Nabs

a couple off the top of my head for harson:

Count Bass D (Dwight Spitz is a good start)
Young RJ (Dirty District 3)
You probably need more Madlib on that list. Every list needs more Madlib. Albums like Madvillain, Jaylib, and the first Quasimoto LP (There are instrumentals for all 3 if the rhyming isn't your cup of tea)
MOP should also get on there somewhere. Warriorz is a great start (and work backwards from there)
Brother Ali (The Undisputed Truth.. anything with Ants name on it.)
Kankick has some dope beats. I like Seeing Spirits.
Jake One maybe? His album with Freeway is pretty nice.

Ex:2

siddx said:
smh@the term hater
Indeed.

Nabs said:
a couple off the top of my head for harson:

Count Bass D (Dwight Spitz is a good start)
Young RJ (Dirty District 3)
You probably need more Madlib on that list. Every list needs more Madlib. Albums like Madvillain, Jaylib, and the first Quasimoto LP (There are instrumentals for all 3 if the rhyming isn't your cup of tea)
MOP should also get on there somewhere. Warriorz is a great start (and work backwards from there)
Brother Ali (The Undisputed Truth.. anything with Ants name on it.)
Kankick has some dope beats. I like Seeing Spirits.
Jake One maybe? His album with Freeway is pretty nice.
Hey Nabs outside of the recent stuff you've mentioned any other new gems you suggest to check out? I know you're always diggin.

HiResDes

harSon said:
Time to freshen up my collection. Here's most of what's on my playlist right now, minus most of the old school stuff since I have a good grip on that. Please recommend artists/albums/songs you think I'd like based on what's in my playlist:

List filled with lots of no-nonsense ill shit

Abstract Rude - Mood Pieces/P.A.I.N.T. (Any Early Album)
Actual Proof - The Ep
Apollo Brown - The Reset
Add-2 - Tale of Two's City Vol. 3 & 4
ArtOfficial - The Payback
Beyond Belief - Beyond Your Reach
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Black Market Militia - Self-Titled
Cage - Hell's Winter
Chuwee & Lee Bannon - HNR
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Danny Brown - The Hybrid
De La Soul - Stakes Is High
Elzhi - The Preface (You already have this right?)
Freestyle Fellowship - Innercity Griots
Gangrene - Gutter Water
The Grouch & Eligh - Anything Seriously :D
Grieves - The Confessions of Mr. Modest
Grynch - Rapping About Rapping Mixtape
Haiku D'Etat - Coup De Theatre
Hell Razah - Heaven Razah
Kendrick Lamar - Overly Dedicated
Jake One - White Van Music
Melo-X - More Merch/Mustafa The Godking
Mellowhype - BLACKENEDWHITE
Nero - Alive & Vibrant
Nickelus F - Commercials
Nike Nando - TheCarryout2
The Nonce - World Ultimate
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II/Labcabincalifornia
Prince Paul - Horror City
Qwel - Any Album
RA The Rugged Man - Die, Rugged Man Die/American Low Life
The Reavers - Terror Firma
Roc Marciano - Marcberg
Sene - ADayLate&ADollarShort
Sha Stimuli - My Soul to Keep
Shabazz Palaces - Of Light
Slaughterhouse - Self-Titled
St Louis - 30, 000ft. & Rising
Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders/Low End Theory
Typical Cats - Self-Titled
Vinnie Paz - Season of the Assassin
Vordul Mega - Megagraphitti
Wisemen - Children of a Lesser God
Wreckonize - A Soiree for Skeptics

...Someone stop me I can go on forever.

Edit: Okay, I'm fairly satisfied

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
There was a time when hater actually meant something. It was a term for a person who just spewed venom towards someone for no good reason beyond jealously and hatred for their success and talent. It was for those vile human beings who watched from the back and wished death and harm on someone else.

Now anyone who doesn't like the same thing as you is a "hater".

This would be a boring ass thread if we just sat around rubbing our balls together and only talking about the artists we love.

kamspy

Damn. Sounds like they recorded that Spice 1 tape on a cell phone. :(

From what I could gather "What they want osama for?" is a pretty good track.

siddx

When the fuck is DJ Quik's Book of David dropping? It's been done for a year now.

HiResDes

Sorry to reopen an old discussion, but if I remember correctly wasn't there someone in here who claimed that Still Standing was by far the best Goodie Mob album...I just listened to Soul Food and Still Standing back to back, and found SF to be slightly better.

siddx

HiResDes said:
Sorry to reopen an old discussion, but if I remember correctly wasn't there someone in here who claimed that Still Standing was by far the best Goodie Mob album...I just listened to Soul Food and Still Standing back to back, and found SF to be slightly better.

Agreed. But just barely. They are both really strong albums but Still Standing kind of meanders sometimes if that makes sense. Soul Food is just a strong, direct kick to the ears and I love it.

Also, I just listened to Late Registration for the first time in a long time and I love Gone so much.

reKon

Banned
harSon said:
Time to freshen up my collection. Here's most of what's on my playlist right now, minus most of the old school stuff since I have a good grip on that. Please recommend artists/albums/songs you think I'd like based on what's in my playlist:

7L & Esoteric
9th Wonder
Aesop Rock
The Beatnuts
Black Milk
Asheru
Black Star
Blame One
Blu/Blu and Exile/Johnson & Johnson
Blue Scholars
Broathaz Bent
Buff1 & DJ Rhettmatic
Camp Lo
Common
Common Market
Cradle Orchestra
Crown City Rockers
Cunninlynguists
Curren$y
Cyne
Damu the Fudgemunk
Danger Mouse and Jemini
Deacon The Villian
Deda
Dela
Del the funkee homosapian/deltron 3030
Dj Deckstream
DJ Honda
DJ Mitsu the Beats
DJ Premier
DJ Tonk
Doom/Mf Doom
Emanon
EMC
Emilio Rojas
Fashawn
Gang Starr
Ghostface Killah
Giant Panda
Group Hope
Headnodic
Himuki
Illa J
The Illz
Inverse
J. Cole
Jay Electronica
Jazz Addixx
Jazz Liberatorz
Jedi Mind Tricks
J Live
J. Period
Katalyst
Kenn Star
Knaan
Kno
Kooley High
The Left
The Living Legends
Lupe Fiasco
Madvillain
Main Flow and &L
Miami Beat Wave
Moe Pope and Headnodic
Mos Def
Move.Ment
Nas
Nomak
Nujabes
Oddisee
One Be Lo
Panacea
People Under the Stairs
Pete Rock
Raekwon
Reks
re:plus
The Roots
Royce Da 5'9"
Shad
Shinsight Trio/Shin-Ski
Skyzoo
Slum Village
Soloplexus
Sound Providers
Specifics
Statik Selekta
Strange Fruit Project
Strong Arm Steady
Supersci/Superscientifiku
Tonedeff
Torae
Versis
Y Society
Wise Intelligent
Zion I

Listen to Wale. He has very good mixtapes

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
Hires, did you cop 'Owl' back in September?

Man I meant to, but I ended up getting So Be It and Harvest because I had planned to listen to them in chronological order...FUCK! I'm buying the amazon mp3 download right now, this will probably make my top ten going by their other stuff.

RPS37

I know I'm a little late, but I reeeally like this.
Evidence - I Don't Need Love (FreEP) (datpiff)
evidencefront.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:
Man I meant to, but I ended up getting So Be It and Harvest because I had planned to listen to them in chronological order...FUCK! I'm buying the amazon mp3 download right now, this will probably make my top ten going by their other stuff.

I was honestly disappointed in it, but if you liked 'So Be It' you should like Owl.

All my favorite artists seem to be finally settling into their skin and that saddens me.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
I was honestly disappointed in it, but if you liked 'So Be It' you should like Owl.

All my favorite artists seem to be finally settling into their skin and that saddens me.
It seems a little safe to me, but overall I have to say I like it...He could basically dial it in and make decent albums without trying to me :lol I really like down dumbing. Some of the more laid back tracks are a little forgettable, but that isn't to say that they aren't good. Overall I'd say this album might be better than So Be It, but not as good as Harvest. Overall though I like Qwel's solo stuff slightly better and obviously his work with the the Typical Cats.

RJT

harSon said:
You definitely need albums produced by Ant. My favourites:

Atmosphere - When Life gives you lemons, You paint that shit gold
Atmosphere - You can't imagine how much fun we're having
Brother Ali - The Champion EP
Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth
Felt, Vol. 2 - A Tribute to Lisa Bonet

Start with the bolded. One good track, the rest of the EP is simply amazing. Rain Water and Champion remix especially.

DominoKid

harSon said:

*long ass nerd-rap list*

7 words.

Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All.

AnkitT

Currently listening to Das Racist. Love the laid back, not gicing a fuck kind of attitude, easily lends itself to the style they are going for.

Also, been re-listening to Kid Cudi and dude definitely has a good style to his raps, but it doesnt hit me on a intellectual level as some other rappers that I listen to(not that it HAS to affect me that way).

HiResDes

AnkitT said:
Currently listening to Das Racist. Love the laid back, not gicing a fuck kind of attitude, easily lends itself to the style they are going for.

Also, been re-listening to Kid Cudi and dude definitely has a good style to his raps, but it doesnt hit me on a intellectual level as some other rappers that I listen to(not that it HAS to affect me that way).

Asher Roth's Seared Foie Gras and Thee Tom Hardy's The Hardy Boy Mystery definitely have the same sort of feel if you haven't checked them out already.

DominoKid

AnkitT said:

Kid Cudi, great songmaker, awful rapper.

2nd most played artist in my Last.FM (Kanye #1)

:lol

Epcott

About to kick back and listen to Ghostface's Apollo Kids later tonight.

In the meantime, I've been loving this old Wu song from The W:

The Monument

Just skip past to 0:22 (the uploader put Pete Rock at the beginning)
OMG that beat is bonkerz... Busta kills it!

CRS

HiResDes said:
Yeah, but it comes out tomorrow...If you haven't succumbed to leaks, you might as well wait it out like me. :D
I haven't. :D

Because of MBDTF, I've sworn to stay away from leaks or at least try to stay away from them as much as possible. If I hadn't listened to so many snippets/previews/leaks before it was released, I definitely would've enjoyed it more.

PBY

Banned
ChldRebelSoldr said:
I haven't. :D

Because of MBDTF, I've sworn to stay away from leaks or at least try to stay away from them as much as possible. If I hadn't listened to so many snippets/previews/leaks before it was released, I definitely would've enjoyed it more.
To be fair, all the songs except one were available for a while cuz of GOOD Fridays/leaks/Runaway movie rips, so thats kind of a unique situation.

CRS

peterb0y said:
To be fair, all the songs except one were available for a while cuz of GOOD Fridays/leaks/Runaway movie rips, so thats kind of a unique situation.

I completely agree. But especially because of the GOOD Friday tracks, I think it hurt my overall opinion of the album. My favorite track is So Appalled but I had already listened to it a ridiculous amount of times so it didn't have as big as an impact.

Same goes for MotM II (which I fucking love) with Mojo So Dope; REVOFEV; and especially Mr. Rager, even though the version on the album was a great improvement over the leak. I think a few people on here felt the same way about MotM II, they had over-played a few tracks.

Tokubetsu

Love hearing a familiar track and finding something in it again. I never realized Ghost's verse on "The Projects" was so great :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom