• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

harSon said:
Goddam, how do you purchase/download it?

Ghostface Killah, Apollo Kids

Official release date: December 21, 2010

The verdict: On the face of it, Apollo Kids — Ghostface Killah's ninth studio album and his eighth in the last ten years — looks like a contractually obligated mail-in: questionable cover art, no lead single, nonexistent promotion, a relatively scant run time, and a whole grip of guest rappers helping to minimize Ghost's overall workload. This, of course, is a drag. Other than last year's R&B experiment Ghostdini: Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City and the odds-and-ends collection More Fish, every one of Ghost's albums deserves a place in the responsible hip-hop fan's music library, and the thought that the dude has stopped trying as hard as he always previously had does not engender warm feelings. But the situation, it turns out, is not all that serious.

And that's because, as always, Ghostface still really can't open his mouth without saying something entertaining. This is the early front-runner for favorite line-chunk: “Got bitches in mi casa boiling fresh lobsters / But I don't do the shellfish, Im'ma just eat pasta / turkey, Italian sausage, chopped-up kielbasa / doing hits from home like an elite mobster / love my onions diced up real little.” Elsewhere: effective-to-inspired soul-sampling beats; ad-libs in which Ghostface makes fun of people's clothing; a snippet or two of Tears for Fears' “Shout”; and the Game using the phrase “I get my Rachael Ray on.” It won't rank up there with his best, yeah, but Ghost would need to try much harder than this to make a crappy album.

It doesn't come out until the 21st

RPS37

HiResDes said:
Look RPS the more I listen to Kendrick's album, the more I think about replacing Big K.R.I.T's album with this in my top ten...MY GOD

Word. I was considering buying it on itunes to support him the other day.

I think Keri Hilson is beautiful, but I don't like anything about that song. No bueno.

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
Word. I was considering buying it on itunes to support him the other day.

I think Keri Hilson is beautiful, but I don't like anything about that song. No bueno.

Get outta my head, and off my girl. :lol

I gotta give Appolo Kids dap. It's not amazing or one of Ghost's best albums, but it definitely has some great tracks, nice (mixtape/sample loop heaaavy) production, and good guest appearances. And U-God even decides to drop a dope ass verse.

Ex:2

Fellow GAF NaS stan there was a Lupe Laser like petition started earlier this evening to try to get Def Jam to release Lost Tapes 2 for the homie NaS. Lend your support tweet it and pass along the word.

Edit: as I just realized this is a no, no on Gaf.

My B.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
End of the Year Awards from me, the great Siddx.

Lets get these two out of the way first, since they are likely the ones to make the most people feel annoyed with me.

Worst Album of the Year
Nicki Minaaj - Pink Friday
What a fucking embarrassment. From her irritating voice that claws at my soul (Urkel!) to her taking an already played out method of punchline rapping and abusing the fuck out of it (Ike Turner!) everything about this album is fucking terrible (Lil B!). I can barley get through a single verse without wanting to smash it into a million pieces (James Frey!). This lazy punchline rapping style needs to be put down forever (Nicki Minaaj’s career!)

Most Disappointing Album of the Year
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Fuck Fest 2010 BYOB Chickachicka What
This album is disappointing because it could have been amazing, if Kanye would just stop being so fucking crazy and show some god damn restraint. We didn’t need 3 minutes of Chris Rock telling the same joke over and over at the end of Blame Game. We didn’t need every artist Kanye has ever met making a cluster fuck of All of the Lights. We didn’t need random Rick Ross verses. We didn’t need approximately 30 minutes of this album. But we got it anyways. Because Kanye is fucking crazy. And it’s beginning to become evident that it’s no longer in a good way. It was clear to me that he got halfway through and got distracted by other work, or something shiny in the next room, or Jay-Z’s dick in his throat. And as a result he treated this album like a plaything, carelessly throwing random shit on top of random shit.

Artist I am so fucking tired of hearing about
J.Cole
I saw him live, I have his mixtapes, I enjoy his music. But if people don’t stop talking about him like he is here to save rap...and cook you dinner, give you handjobs, and shove 100 dollar bills under your nutsack...I am going to be tired of him before he even releases an actual album.

Artist that needs to STOP writing and performing his own hooks
Gilbert Forte
Despite being from the school of Lil Wayne impersonators, he does it fairly well, is a decent lyricist and has some great beat selection (Burn me down is hype as fuck). But his hooks are so bad they make me want to kill innocent and cute creatures. Truly truly awful sing songy bullshit that often makes no sense whatsoever either.

The can we just euthanize R Kelly’s child molesting ass now since we have an RnB “singer” who does the same kind of music in just as entertaining a way without pissing on children as well?
The Dream - Love King

The "I just dont care anymore, sorry" award
Wu-Tang and everyone involved with them.
I know Rae had a great album last year, and Ghostface is still killing it. But I just dont care anymore. Listening to anything wu related makes me feel exhausted and sad.

Album that desperately needs a better rapper (no wocka flocka or gucci, those are obvious)
Pilot Talk 2
Currensy fucking blows. Sorry. He has a horrible voice, ugly style, and boring lyrics. The fact he gets these amazing beats to rap over is a fucking crime. Give them to Wiz Khalifa at least. He’s nothing remarkable either but he is at least competent and enjoyable to listen to.

Your shtick is done dudes award
The Cool Kids
Tacklebox was awful, you have become lazy and too aware of your hipster bullshit rap. Go join The Knux in a coffee shop somewhere and get a normal pair of pants before your balls shrivel up and fall off. Also you guys are awful rappers and even worse producers. It worked the first time, but like using chocolate sauce in the bedroom, its amusing once, but after that it just becomes a pain to deal with.

Artist I wan’t to hate but can’t
Drake
Don’t get me wrong, his album still sucks and I have no interest in hearing his music anymore. But there is someone endearing about him. Maybe it’s his degarassi roots, or his goofy ass faces on stage, or the fact he is canadian and its’ hard to hate canadians (easy to mock, hard to hate). Whatever reason, I have no ill will towards him despite being one of the perpetrators of my most hated new style, “lazy punchlines”.

Abums that might have won album of the year if they had been a little longer
Jon Hope - WaterFire
J.Lately - El mananero
Both are fantastic albums that end way too soon. It’s like busting a nut in a girl’s mouth when you wanted to have sex. You enjoy it immensely but you wanted more out of the experience.

The make me get hype as fuck and dropkick an old person beat of the year
Lex Luger - B.M.F.

The I still don’t get it award
Tie between Jay Elecontrica and Blu. I want to like these artists. I should like these artists considering what kind of hip hop I like. But I don’t. They both make me want to punch babies in the fucking mouth.

The “Why Do I Like This?” Award
Johnny Polygon
Some awful production, absurdly dumb lyrics, a terrible style, and just plain corny songs. And yet I really really liked about half of Rebel without Applause.

The next person who uses this beat is getting murdered with a large stick award
Black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow

The slaughterhouse member who gained the most stock with me
Royce da 5’9
He is just too goddamn funny, I used to hate him but Bar Exam 3 made me a fan. An amazing rapper with more skill that 99% of other rappers out there, I will pick up everything he does from now on.

The slaughterhouse member who lost the most stock with me
Joell Ortiz
At the beginning of the year he was my favorite member and I was telling people he was the best rapper in the game. But I just got bored. Everything he has done since sounds the same. Oh well. I still have faith I guess.

The slaughterhouse member who had the best song of the year
Crooked I
“Anything” was so sick I still listen to it constantly. The beat will melt your face, the hook is catchy, and the verses are sick as fuck.

The slaughterhouse member I still can’t stand
Joe Budden
Shut the fuck up you emo crybaby whine ass.

Artist that needs to hurry up and release a full length album already
The ILLZ
For real, I would punch every child I meet in the face if it would somehow provoke him into dropping an LP asap.

The “I would probably beat the shit out of you if I had to spend an hour near you for being such a whiney little bitch... but damnit you are talented and your music rocks” award
Kid Cudi
I think the name of the award says it all

The why have I yet to give this album a good listen? award
The Roots - How I got over
I’ve heard the songs individually on my itunes at random. I have given the album a quick run through. But I have yet to find time to sit down and really listen to it. Despite loving every single song I hear from it individually.

The really Gaf?...really!? Award
Lil'B
Just...godamnit.

Artists I still need to listen to more thoroughly to judge.
Nickelus F
Smoke DZA
Jeff Chery
Luck One
Rome
Tom Hardy
Jay Rock
Emilio Rojas
J Ferb
Cobeh Obeah
Strong Arm Steady
Apollo Brown
Add-2
Neak
Saheed
Stars and Murph

Best compilation
Miami Beat Wave - Slight Modification
All the attention Das Racist got had me scratching my head. I don’t get it to be honest, I thought “sit down, man” was largely boring. Slight modification on the other hand, bangs from track one till the very end. Some of the instrumentals make me instantly want to jump on reason and makes beats or write some lyrics. This could be an album of the year contender for me as well.

Album of the Year
Kno - Death is Silent
And the craziest thing is? I think Kno is kind of a shit rapper. I hate his voice, it just screams “generic white underground rapper”. It’s monotone, boring, and he sometimes says nothing of interest in any clever way.
But holy fuck is he an amazing producer. Only second behind Ant as far as being my favorite producer in all of music. In fact it’s so good that I have no problem overlooking the fact he is a shit rapper 90% of the time. So good that it’s my album of the year. Yeah, THAT good.

Runner ups
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik: 0-60
A brilliant reminder of why I love southern hip hop.

Skuf’L - Welcome to my block
Let down only by a 3rd act that drags a bit

Shad - TSOL
Just a fun album with quite a few really great songs but also let down by a few completely average songs.

Big Boi - Chico Dusty
I hated speakerboxxx. (I hated love below even more.) As far as I was concerned, Outkast didn’t work as solo artists. Andre and Big Boi made beautiful music together and weird un focused bullshit alone. So I was caught off guard by how much I loved this album.

siddx

HiResDes said:
Did you ever check out Niggaz With Latitude?

I plan to once I have worked my way through this massive backlog of music (both old and new).

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Hip hop round up
Dude, I disagree with about half of what you just wrote, and the Kanye stuff reaaaaaaaaaaally got to me, but damn if it wasn't a good read. Funny/well written, good stuff man.

HiResDes

peterb0y said:
Dude, I disagree with about half of what you just wrote, and the Kanye stuff reaaaaaaaaaaally got to me, but damn if it wasn't a good read. Funny/well written, good stuff man.

The funny thing is as I was reading I was like this is kind of controversial, but at the same time I don't disagree with any of it...Even though I love both Blu and Jay Electronica, I understand that neither have done anything noteworthy in a while, well besides Jay;s Jazzmataz which is a fantastic song (one of my top five favorite this year).

siddx

peterb0y said:

:lol I don't know why my opinion of MDTBF has diverged so greatly from the majority of people. I have always been a kanye fan despite thinking he is the king of douchebags. But every since 808's his music makes me angry to listen to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I either strongly disagree or strongly agree with everything siddx wrote.
Album that desperately needs a better rapper (no wocka flocka or gucci, those are obvious)
Pilot Talk 2
Currensy fucking blows. Sorry. He has a horrible voice, ugly style, and boring lyrics. The fact he gets these amazing beats to rap over is a fucking crime. Give them to Wiz Khalifa at least. He’s nothing remarkable either but he is at least competent and enjoyable to listen to.
I don't see what the big deal with either of these dudes is. Curren$y is nothing special, and Wiz Khalifa's raps all sound really basic (not basic in a based god kind of way either).

So I conclude that every Wiz Khalifa and Curren$y fan must be high as a kite when they listen to that shit. Mr. Sober over here isn't seeing what the deal is.

And siddx, I think your just mad at Ye man. MBDTF is approaching some TCD/LR kind of levels of greatness.

The M.O.B

The can we just euthanize R Kelly’s child molesting ass now since we have an RnB “singer” who does the same kind of music in just as entertaining a way without pissing on children as well?
The Dream - Love King

:lol But he was found not guilty for that sex with a minor case wasn't he.

Have you listened to R'Kelly latest Album Love Letter?

Personally I roll with Trey Songz.

EDIT: Also, This R Kelly performance was amazing.

siddx

I'm a Wiz Khalifa fan only because I remember years ago hearing about him from somewhere and checking him out. So to see him become successful since then is kind of neat since I remember when he had a very different style and was barely known. I like it when underground and little known artists that I used to listen to manage to find larger success, I am proud of them for getting that far.

He tends to have ups and downs. Sometimes he is completely awful but I think he manages to maintain a level of averageness that make a him at least listenable.

Also, I thought I posted this a few nights ago but I must have passed out before I did so or something lol
I think we are living in the greatest era of hip hop ever. For one reason. Accessibility. Artists, who even a few years ago we would have never ever heard, are now accesible to people all over the world. The advance of technology allows for home studios and online distribution. Plus the rise of the "mixtape" means endless amounts of hip hop is showing up on the web every day representing all over the country and globe, every kind of style you could imagine. Many of it compete shit, but a lot of really really great stuff as well. I dont think there has ever been such a large variety of hip hop available so easily, for free or very cheap, and in so many different styles.

siddx

The M.O.B said:
:lol But he was found not guilty for that sex with a minor case wasn't he.

Have you listened to R'Kelly latest Album Love Letter?

Personally I roll with Trey Songz.

EDIT: Also, This R Kelly performance was amazing.

R Kelly basically stalled endlessly until everyone had forgotten what the hell was going on, and until the girl he peed on was grown up and probably getting peed on legally for cash.

Bottoms up makes me feel homicidal, but Trey Songz isn't bad.

Just heard Ghostface ft. Black Thought - In Tha Park. Apollo Kids is gonna be so awesome. Black Thought is seriously the most underrated rapper in the game... and is that a Black Keys sample?

DominoKid

siddx said:
End of the Year Awards from me, the great Siddx.

Pilot Talk 2

looks like somebody needs to listen a little bit closer. especially if you think Wiz is better than Curren$y.

Acid08

Banned
to any Charles Hamilton fans out there which of his mixtapes would you recommend downloading? The only one I have is Outside Looking so far.

The M.O.B

Acid08 said:
to any Charles Hamilton fans out there which of his mixtapes would you recommend downloading? The only one I have is Outside Looking so far.
:lol Your about 20 mixtapes behind. I believe HiResDes made a post about some of CH's best material. Try looking a couple pages back, I'm pretty sure it's not more than 1 or 2 pages back.

Charles put out about 10 mixtapes in 2010 alone.

Acid08 said:

speaking of Charles Hamilton .... supposedly he assaulted an officer yesterday according to his facebook? :lol

LOZLINK

Banks brings fucking energy to his shows, shame the crowd sucked and didn't know any of his new shit. I was the lone kid screaming "FATHER TIME, FATHER TIME.":lol Beamer Benz or Bentley live is fucking awesome

MMaRsu

K.Jack said:
Keri Hilson makes horrible music. The future of young R&B she is not.

My faith in Ghost's next album renewed X 1000

Hell yeah both those songs are really good. Also Game kind of sounds like early Nas? Or am I the only one hearing this..

Game comes really hard on this btw.. awesome

I think it's time to take a good listen to this right now

1292563399_61viqcyphsl._ss500_.jpg

Ohhhh yea

Holy shit this album is fucking fire!!! Crazy shit!

2getha baby has a SICK beat. Holy shit.

HiResDes

20101207-NOTORIOUS.jpg

Tracklisting
01. 187 Proof
02. Step Out Of My f. E-Note & Giddy
03. Giddie – Club Like f. Jazz
04. Niggas Sing The Blues
05. Zigg Zigg – Stay Out The Way f. Brotha Lynch Hung
06. Tystik – Ain’t Nobody Illa
07. E-Note – Swervin f. Glasses Malone
08. Dumpin Them In Digits
09. Brotha Lynch Hung – What They Want Osama For f. Pappoose
10. Trigga Gots No Heart f. Twista & Game
11. Murderman Dance f. Pimp C & Bun B
12. Tystik – Keep Tryin f. Spice 1
13. Ready For This World
14. E-Note – Those Games
15. Tystik – Pistol In My Pocket
16. Spice 1 – Strap On The Side Of Me

LINK

siddx

I'm a Spice 1 fan and I wan't that mixtape but the link isn't working anymore for me.
I am dying to hear some of the remakes.

MMaRsu

mooooose said:
Apollo Kids is the sickest mixtape I've heard in awhile. That's basically what it is. In no way is it a cohesive album.

Who cares if it's an album or mixtape, it's amazing!

siddx

HiResDes said:
Spice 1 Alternate Link - Warning it was in 128kbps when I downloaded it and the tracklisting is a bit of a mess.

gratzi, dl'ing now. I don't understand why people don't just use mediafire.

edit: wtf...the sound quality is inexcusable. Disappointing.

siddx

So I decided to restock my once awesome music collection with my favorite albums from long ago. I lost 90% of my music collection over the years to theft, ex girlfriends, ex friends, and just plain wear and tear.
So far I've gotten back.

Nas - Illmatic
Nas - It was Written
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against he Machine
Rage Against he Machine - Evil Empire
Rage Against he Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Goodie Mob - Still Standing
Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
2pac - All Eyez on Me
2pac - Me against the world
Dr.Dre - The Chronic
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
De La Soul - Stakes is high
Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth
Mobb Deep - The infamous
Eminem - SSLP
Eminem - MMLP
Eminem - Eminem Show
Outkast - Southernplayalistic
Outkast - ATLiens
Murder was the Case Soundtrack
Above the Rim Soundtrack

Any suggestions? I am still missing hundreds of CD's I once loved but it's a start!

harSon

Banned
Time to freshen up my collection. Here's most of what's on my playlist right now, minus most of the old school stuff since I have a good grip on that. Please recommend artists/albums/songs you think I'd like based on what's in my playlist:

7L & Esoteric
9th Wonder
Aesop Rock
The Beatnuts
Black Milk
Asheru
Black Star
Blame One
Blu/Blu and Exile/Johnson & Johnson
Blue Scholars
Broathaz Bent
Buff1 & DJ Rhettmatic