• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

spindashing said:
Gangsta Granny.

BasedGranny swag

Larry-Johnson-Grandmama.jpg

Messi

Randomly decided to listen to some old albums and I put in Stankonia. Such an awesome album.

<3 BOB is awesome.

I wish outkast was still together.

Sacha

harSon said:
Has anyone listened to Substantial & Marcus D are Bop Alloy? It's pretty damned good, especially if you're as big a fan of Jazz Hop as I am:

http://bandcamp.com/files/21/56/2156648028-1.jpg[Img]

[url]http://bopalloy.bandcamp.com/album/substantial-marcus-d-are-bop-alloy-deluxe-edition[/url][/QUOTE]

The packaging is as awesome as the music in it: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Ux1WRVU6U[/url]

harSon

Banned
harSon said:
I don't know if it has been posted but ya'll should give these albums a whirl, they're completely free to download and there's some good stuff to be found here, especially if you're a fan of jazzy/mellow hip hop: http://kitchendip.com/

Edit: The SoulChef album is hot as fuck

Finally finished listening to SoulChef's album in full, ya'll really need to give it a whirl. It's free too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BgCLaSsYHI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltryeU9J9ow

IrishNinja

...ok, i might be flying solo here, but: is anybody else tired of Tom Hardy talking about fuckin? :lol i couldn't even finish the green faceded or whatever, maybe it's dude's style but i think it was his content getting a bit tired for me. i was enjoying "death is silent" when he crops up again and im just waiting for it, but it was Kno that time. again, might just be me.

probably as good as place as ever to say this...my group is finally getting the ball rolling on our album, probably a mixtape in summer and lp in the fall. This is a very different sound so I don't expect everyone to be into it, but its basically a blend of progressive rock, rock opera, and hip hop and a collaboration of artist from Saginaw, Orlando, Cincy and Louisville

Fall of Tyrant is the name scifi inspired concept album that is more gritty then electronic, will post some tracks as soon as we feel comfortable with them..note im the producer and laying down some vocals, wrote the concept and overall arch of the album...been working on this for nearly 2 years

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:
...ok, i might be flying solo here, but: is anybody else tired of Tom Hardy talking about fuckin? :lol i couldn't even finish the green faceded or whatever, maybe it's dude's style but i think it was his content getting a bit tired for me. i was enjoying "death is silent" when he crops up again and im just waiting for it, but it was Kno that time. again, might just be me.

When it comes to Tom Hardy mixtapes, Secret of Thee Green Magic >>>>> Green Faceded

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GodfatherX said:
probably as good as place as ever to say this...my group is finally getting the ball rolling on our album, probably a mixtape in summer and lp in the fall. This is a very different sound so I don't expect everyone to be into it, but its basically a blend of progressive rock, rock opera, and hip hop and a collaboration of artist from Saginaw, Orlando, Cincy and Louisville

Fall of Tyrant is the name scifi inspired concept album that is more gritty then electronic, will post some tracks as soon as we feel comfortable with them..note im the producer and laying down some vocals, wrote the concept and overall arch of the album...been working on this for nearly 2 years
Post a track. I'd love to hear some unique music.

edit: missed the comfortable part. Take your time.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
GAF HOP, I have a question.

Sitting here at work listening to the Rick Ross mixtape. Impressed with most of it. The production is top notch, the features are great and I am wondering, why in the hell did he give it away for free?

This entire mixtape thing is bizarre to me. Young Jeezy doing 2 videos for songs on a mixtape earlier this year made no sense either. Spending money to promote something you are giving away? WTF? Am I missing something here? I can see artists just coming up, but we are talking about people with rep and known. How does this make them money?

dskillzhtown said:
GAF HOP, I have a question.

Sitting here at work listening to the Rick Ross mixtape. Impressed with most of it. The production is top notch, the features are great and I am wondering, why in the hell did he give it away for free?

This entire mixtape thing is bizarre to me. Young Jeezy doing 2 videos for songs on a mixtape earlier this year made no sense either. Spending money to promote something you are giving away? WTF? Am I missing something here? I can see artists just coming up, but we are talking about people with rep and known. How does this make them money?
promotion that leads to more promotion...no such thing as too much promotion

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
GodfatherX said:
promotion that leads to more promotion...no such thing as too much promotion

I realize you are going to make most of your money off shows. It just seems that the music given away for free is too good to give away for free. Especially when the promotion they are getting doesn't have any real goal. I mean, are we moving to a model of giving all music away via mixtapes and rappers get paid from shows and vodka sponsorships?

I guess my biggest confusion is that making these songs isn't free. The features aren't free, so what exactly are you gaining that wouldn't be gained by putting out a good album that you are getting paid for?

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth here. I am loving this steady stream of legally free music we are getting now. 2010 has been incredible with free music. If you didn't spend one dime on rap this year you could still have enjoyed a hell of a year.

dskillzhtown said:
I realize you are going to make most of your money off shows. It just seems that the music given away for free is too good to give away for free. Especially when the promotion they are getting doesn't have any real goal. I mean, are we moving to a model of giving all music away via mixtapes and rappers get paid from shows and vodka sponsorships?

I guess my biggest confusion is that making these songs isn't free. The features aren't free, so what exactly are you gaining that wouldn't be gained by putting out a good album that you are getting paid for?

I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth here. I am loving this steady stream of legally free music we are getting now. 2010 has been incredible with free music. If you didn't spend one dime on rap this year you could still have enjoyed a hell of a year.

True but the charge for a mixtape feature is significantly lower than the charge for an album feature. The buzz of a successful mixtape, free or not, sets the path for future success. Consider Ross' last mixtape which spawned BMF; the buzz of that song did more to sell his album than the expensive first single with NeYo. J Cole basically shut twitter down with his mixtape. Who know how the album will sell but he's getting more radio play and exposure now

kamspy

Hip hop needs to understand how to get concerts right. Follow the metal and punk path of big festivals.

GOOD Tour:

Kanye, Clipse, Common, Talib & Mos, Big Sean, Cudi, GLC, Pharell, etc.

DIPSET Tour:

Cam, Jimmy, Juelz, Freaky, Hell Rell (if they're not in jail this month). Don't bring JR Writer plz.

WU TANG Tour:

The whole Wu. Including Cappadonna. No Killarmy Sunz of Man filler. Maybe Gravediggaz as an opener. O_O

Yay Area Thunder Chunk Tour:

E-40, The Click, Spice 1, Celly Cell, Too Short, Mac Mall, The Luniz, Dru Down, Richie Rich

But naw, groups tour in pieces, dates are limited, and the whole marketing side of it is fucked up. I'd spend big money on tickets for festival style hip hop shows.

Oh, and effort. So many popular rappers are garbage on stage. Clipse comes to mind. They fucking scream the lyrics like Onyx or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom