• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Pinko Marx said:
I shot at like 5 silhouette dudes so far. Fuckin destroyed them. I also shot a grenade full of paint at a tank.

So you just did basic and now you're home before shipping off? What's the details man? Whatcha doin? Where ya goin?

kamspy said:
So you just did basic and now you're home before shipping off? What's the details man? Whatcha doin? Where ya goin?

I got injured and I'm home on Convalescent leave for 30 days while I recover. I got a stress fracture on the left side of my pelvis. It made it hard to run and march. When I go back I'll be sent to a company different from the one I was training with, but around the same week when I left so I won't have to go through the shitty first 2 weeks.

TheOddOne

kamspy said:
Alright. Let me give yall my Lasers theory.

My daughter is learning about the ills of government. I told her some basics and let her do her own investigation online.

I think Lasers is aimed at the younger generation. She knows every word to "Words I Never Said". Sure it sounds ham fisted to us, but to her, it's like Rage Against the Machine. The rest of the album is full of this kind of stuff, easily digestable for tweens and up.

I like the fact he made it easily digestable. I kept saying Lupe needed a pop record, when Lasers came out I thought it was a little too far, but I LOVE the response my kids have to it. He mixed the message with catchy beats and hooks. Good album. The Cool was like a long ass jam sessions. It lacked direction. Just great stuff with no organization. The rap equivalent to D'Angelo's Voodoo.

Now, for me, and only me, The Cool is a better record. But overall, I think Lasers does more things for more people without sacrificing his message. Now, I don't know if this was done by design or it just kinda happened, but either way, it's a great hip hop album I can listen to with my kids. Those are truly few and far between.
Let your kids listen to this:

Foodliquor.jpg

If you think Lasers is great, then you'll find this a MASTERPIECE.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Better yet just throw all that Lupe crap in the garbage and make your kids listen to your UGK albums.

TheOddOne

siddx said:
Better yet just throw all that Lupe crap in the garbage and make your kids listen to your UGK albums.
Livin real smooth like Aloe Vera lotion
I'm sellin crack rock, the devil's love potion
Three wheel motion on my buick park ave
Fiends used to smoke twenties, now they smokin slabs
Paid like a muthafucka clientel is growin
It's gettin so bad I got pregnant fiends hoin
suck a dick and lick an ass just to get a pump
fuck Black Caesar niggaz call me Black Trump
Pistol Grip pump in my lap at all times
Niggaz fuck wit other niggaz shit but they don't fuck wit mine
Got my money totalled for a big time pass
17-5 I gotta bird on they ass
I put my boys down so they wouldn't have to rob
Now my click is comin up like the fuckin mob
My workers got workers everybody makin green
gettin cash for puttin stones in the pockets of the fiends

...my kids gonna be hood as fuck.

siddx

Pinko Marx said:
So like whats the ONE thing thats dropped recently that I need to listen to?

Retail?
CunninLynguists - Oneirology

Mixtape?
Big KRIT - Returnof4eva

siddx

overcast said:
There you go again.. being correct.

I'm like an abusive boyfriend, I'm cruel and nasty and then I draw em back in with a little sweet talk. I promise I'll never hit you again!

kamspy

Pinko Marx said:
So like whats the ONE thing thats dropped recently that I need to listen to?

Did you get to Chip the Ripper GIFT RAPS? It doesn't get much love here, but I bump the shit out of it. S L A B

Where are you doing basic at? Almost all of my friends joined the military. I'm thinking about joining the Air Force as an officer since the job market is so shitty. I've got a fucking MS in Electrical Engineering and can't find shit. Getting laid off in Nov.

kamspy said:
Did you get to Chip the Ripper GIFT RAPS? It doesn't get much love here, but I bump the shit out of it. S L A B

Where are you doing basic at? Almost all of my friends joined the military. I'm thinking about joining the Air Force as an officer since the job market is so shitty. I've got a fucking MS in Electrical Engineering and can't find shit. Getting laid off in Nov.

Ft. Leonard Wood. It sucks.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:
I feel like kamspy is purposely going against popular opinion now.
Every other Chip tape > Gift Raps

The only other one I have is Independence Day and I like the production on Gift Raps a lot more.

Tokubetsu

Dude, you need The Cleveland Show. Holy shit its really good. Easily his best official release.
sDw0s.jpg

http://www.datpiff.com/Chip-Tha-Ripper-The-Cleveland-Show-mixtape.81812.html

I used to just put this shit on repeat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jcWbXYOUf0

Especially when the beat changes up halfway through. So good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Knux-Future said:
You know who gets pushed to the side a lot? Asher Roth.

A lot of new people ( myself included) push the guy to the side due to him ether being an Eminem clone or a party rapper. But dude is pretty dope.

New Freestyle( and perhaps Mac Miller Diss?)

Kidz these daze.

http://www.hiphopmusicdotcom.com/asher-roth-kids-these-daze.html
I thought he was alright until I realized his rhymes are so spastic and all over the place on a level that no other rapper has reached before. I know he tries to be funny, but really listening to his rhymes sometimes is like listening to someone with ADD.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Tokubetsu said:
Dude, you need The Cleveland Show. Holy shit its really good. Easily his best official release.
http://i.imgur.com/sDw0s.jpg[/MG]
[url]http://www.datpiff.com/Chip-Tha-Ripper-The-Cleveland-Show-mixtape.81812.html[/url]

I used to just put this shit on repeat:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jcWbXYOUf0[/url]

Especially when the beat changes up halfway through. So good.[/QUOTE]
yea that was some good shit.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBuJQSKYXfQ[/url]

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
PhoenixDark said:
jesus christ that Royce song is dumb as hell. Screaming Eminem and more nothing-rap from Royce. Tell me how big your gun and dick are Royce, I forgot

According to his twitter, Royce, Yelawolf, and Bun B are cooking up a track right now. Seemingly Royce dropped his verse, sent it to Yelawolf and Bun so they can add theirs. We will see how it turns out.

Also....

Gucci Mane is going back to jail for violating his probation. What did he do? He pushed a chick out of his moving Hummer for not agreeing to fuck him for $150.

Gucci Mane Arrested Again For Allegedly Pushing Woman Out Of Moving Hummer

siddx

And once again mr ice cream cone fucktard reaffirms my opinion he is a massive piece of shit who will never ever get a single dollar from me for his half assed bullshit music.

I fucking love Asher Roth.

In my opinion, his rapping style reminds me of Blu. (Hear me out) They both have that laid back flow.

I'm kind of getting kind of irritated that most of the time a white rapper gets mentioned, Em's name is dropped. "So and So sounds like Em!"

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
dskillzhtown said:
According to his twitter, Royce, Yelawolf, and Bun B are cooking up a track right now. Seemingly Royce dropped his verse, sent it to Yelawolf and Bun so they can add theirs. We will see how it turns out.

Also....

Gucci Mane is going back to jail for violating his probation. What did he do? He pushed a chick out of his moving Hummer for not agreeing to fuck him for $150.

Gucci Mane Arrested Again For Allegedly Pushing Woman Out Of Moving Hummer
the only thing new i found out from that video was that, the news station not only use windows7, but they also bought a dell.

siddx

Asher and Blu do sound similar. Except Asher is entertaining.
Blu is amazing, how can someone so talented be so boring.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Asher doesn't sound anything like Em, and like I said he takes that spastic thing to another level. Blu at least is a bit more focused with his content, despite him being completely un-listenable outside of Below the Heavens.

And Gucci Mane continues to be a useless, talentless piece of shit. News at 11.
shadowcomplex said:
the only thing new i found out from that video was that, the news station not only use windows7, but they also bought a dell.
LOL.

Edit: WTF, browsing WSHH and there's a dude who's called himself "Itz Lil B Man"? Get the fuck outta here. I wonder how many bitches of his the real based god fucked to elicit this shit.

illadelph

I've liked pretty much everything Asher has put out up to this point. The Greenhouse Effect is an amazing mixtape, I love shit like The Lounge. He's pretty versatile, he can put out pop songs, intellectual stuff, and songs that throw a bunch of crazy rhymes together. He doesn't get enough respect in my opinion.

Also, what's everyone's opinion on this? (really really LTTP)

Ahmad_album.jpg

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about this album. After a couple of listens, I am wondering why this isn't mentioned more when classic 90's albums are discussed. I'm sure most people know Back in the Day (which appeared in three different versions on the album) but every song is really good. I've been hooked on Ordinary People, we need more shit like that!

I guess things could be worse. Rap could have been white "dominated" and every time an outlier would be discussed, someone would always say, "Hey, he sounds like Kanye West!"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For my fellow CuDi fans, Dot Da Genius talks Wizard:
XXL: Do you guys have traditional roles in the band? Like Cudi on vocals, you on the drums, etc…

DDG: It’s traditional in that sense. But we’re gonna be moving between instruments. Like Cudi just picked up the guitar. He’s gonna be playing that primarily. And he’s vocals, obviously. And I’ll be playing bass, I’ll be on the drum machine, on the keys. Pretty much we’re like a two-man band in the sense that we create our music; it’s just me and him. Like we play all the instruments and we’re actually creating the songs, but when we hit the road we’ll probably add like another guitarist or somethin’, a drummer.

XXL: No one knows what to expect from the Wizard sound. Is it different sonically from Cudi’s previous stuff?

DDG: It’s not too far off. It’s more rock driven. Like, we really just digested music and just really use the guitar— like every record pretty much started with a guitar, some type of guitar riff. [We] just really centered the music around the guitar and we just built around it. The actual tone, like with Cudi he shows little shades of it in his [previous] music, but he’s just doin’ it full on, on this album. Like he’s really taking it there. No raps. It’s just gonna be straight music.

And,

XXL: Will Plain Pat and Emile be involved in this project at all?

DDG: Well, Cudi is not working with them from a management standpoint. Musically, everybody’s still cool. Emile still works— not more so on our rock project, that’s pretty much just me and [Cudi]— but he’s still very much around musically. It’s still there. It’s just on that [management] front, they had a disconnect.

XXL: What was that disconnect? Did it have to do with the sales of Cudi’s last album, Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager?

DDG: Honestly I can’t speak for their situation. I just know that there was issues on both ends, frustrations. And you just get to a point where you feel like you can handle stuff on your own and you can direct your own career. So, I don’t even know what the issue was, but it definitely didn’t have to do with the success of the album.

Not sure if want. And the Pat and Emile situation still saddens me a bit. Confusing how he did fire off those shots via tweets (twots?) but they're still together musically? Difficult point in the relationship to articulate I guess.

siddx

Goddamnit Cudi you hipster tool, are we going to have to put up with you pretending you know how to play the guitar?

overcast

enzo_gt said:
For my fellow CuDi fans, Dot Da Genius talks Wizard:

And,

Not sure if want. And the Pat and Emile situation still saddens me a bit. Confusing how he did fire off those shots via tweets (twots?) but they're still together musically? Difficult point in the relationship to articulate I guess.
Dammit cudi. Make some real rap please :[

Didn't we know about Cudi learning the guitar like a few weeks before MoTM2 released? I bet I posted about it in the MotM2 thread, I apologize. It was around the time of his Jimmy Fallon MANIAC performance. The only new part was Emile and Plain Pat possibly still working with Cudi even if Dream On is ax'd.

I'll give it a listen of course. If his sobriety makes it even more listenable, then sure. Rock elements/production with Cudi vocals isn't so farfetched.

Edit: There were two tracks that Dot Da Genius and Cudi previewed on Ustream awhile ago. One was entitled Rocket (if I remember correctly) and another one. I remember the two of them vaguely; I can only recall only liking one of them...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
siddx said:
Goddamnit Cudi you hipster tool, are we going to have to put up with you pretending you know how to play the guitar?
who knows, the real question is when do i get my "dose of dopeness". i am done with cudi after that.

kamspy

I own that Ahmad on cassette..somewhere...or I did.

Gucci didn't throw that chick out of the hummer because she wouldn't fuck em. It had to be something else. It's not like he couldn't roll around in a Lambo and fuck any piece of ass he wanted. I think it was on some other shit.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
kamspy said:
I own that Ahmad on cassette..somewhere...or I did.

Gucci didn't throw that chick out of the hummer because she wouldn't fuck em. It had to be something else. It's not like he couldn't roll around in a Lambo and fuck any piece of ass he wanted. I think it was on some other shit.
i don't think that matters at this point. infact i don't think gucci matters at this point or at any point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
Didn't we know about Cudi learning the guitar like a few weeks before MoTM2 released? I bet I posted about it in the MotM2 thread, I apologize. It was around the time of his Jimmy Fallon MANIAC performance. The only new part was Emile and Plain Pat possibly still working with Cudi even if Dream On is ax'd.

I'll give it a listen of course. If his sobriety makes it even more listenable, then sure. Rock elements/production with Cudi vocals isn't so farfetched.

Edit: There were two tracks that Dot Da Genius and Cudi previewed on Ustream awhile ago. One was entitled Rocket (if I remember correctly) and another one. I remember the two of them vaguely; I can only recall only liking one of them...
Yeah, but building the album from the guitar first to the rest of the song is something I never heard of before. I appreciate him trying to go for some sort of alternative sound to his albums.

I'll always give CuDi a shot, it's just worrying when an artist you love is making changes everywhere in their lifestyle and musical direction. You never know if it'll work out or not.

The only thing that I thank Gucci for is Lemonade.

Otherwise, keep his EA Sports neck tattoo havin', Ice cream on face sportin, doo doo stain under his eyes cornball punk ass in jail.

Edit: Yeah, enzo. We can only wait and see. Supposedly Cudi has a lot planned for the summer, so I guess it is something to look forward to. How to Make It In America + A Kid Named Scott + Wizard = damn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom