• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
They wont sell. Their lyrical content makes them a niche group. That has nothing to do with quality, they just don't ave the kind of broad appeal that makes selling CD's a viable option for them. They are better off releasing free music and just touring medium/small sized venues to their hardcore fanbase who will pay anything to see them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
siddx said:
They wont sell. Their lyrical content makes them a niche group. That has nothing to do with quality, they just don't ave the kind of broad appeal that makes selling CD's a viable option for them. They are better off releasing free music and just touring medium/small sized venues to their hardcore fanbase who will pay anything to see them.

...like Atmosphere?

WanderingWind said:
...like Atmosphere?

evaRA.jpg

Still, siddx I think you're underestimating OF here. I suspect them to sell at least 200k.

siddx

WanderingWind said:
...like Atmosphere?

Atmosphere has varied enough content that they can appeal to a slightly broader audience. But somewhat yes.
OF is somewhat limited to the "we are crazy and will murder and rape your dead body" gimmick that got them the attention in the first place.

Tokubetsu

Yea, I think siddx is lowballing, a lot. The market they appeal to still buy records and a lot of them will be buying more than once. Out of the people I know buying Goblin, most of them are buying twice, myself included. Cd & Vinyl.

siddx said:
Atmosphere has varied enough content that they can appeal to a slightly broader audience. But somewhat yes.
OF is somewhat limited to the "we are crazy and will murder and rape your dead body" gimmick that got them the attention in the first place.

Just like Eminem right?

big ander

siddx said:
I'd disagree. Frank Ocean is far different from the rest of OF, Mike G's stuff isn't as rapey, Domo mostly just raps about weed.
Earl and Tyler and MellowHype, the best of the collective, definitely focus on shock rap but I don't know yet if it'll keep them from becoming mainstream. Their performance on Fallon got a ton of mainstream love.

kamspy

I see Tyler doing big numbers on the Eminem/ICP fanbase. Or at least I did before I heard the snippets. Now I'm not as high on it being a commercial success. But snippets are snippets. Maybe I need more context for the tracks to work. I'll be picking it up when it comes out. Hopefully Amazon has the mp3 for <$10.

Tokubetsu

big ander said:
I'd disagree. Frank Ocean is far different from the rest of OF, Mike G's stuff isn't as rapey, Domo mostly just raps about weed.
Earl and Tyler and MellowHype, the best of the collective, definitely focus on shock rap but I don't know yet if it'll keep them from becoming mainstream. Their performance on Fallon got a ton of mainstream love.

It's still really Tyler that does the shock rap stuff. On Hodgy/Mellowhype's weirdest night, they get only a slight more offensive than someone like Waka or Gucci.

WanderingWind

Tokubetsu said:
Just like Eminem right?

Dammit.

Honestly though, rap albums aren't pushing what they used to. They're not going to sell that great, because they are niche. Touring really is their best option. Well, either that or pen a love song.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Just like Eminem right?

You know damn well Eminem is a completely different case. There were far more factors to his success than his lyrical content.

Tokubetsu

WanderingWind said:
Dammit.

Honestly though, rap albums aren't pushing what they used to. They're not going to sell that great, because they are niche. Touring really is their best option. Well, either that or pen a love song.

They'll do at least as well as dudes like Gucci and Flocka are doing (60k-100K+) and thats pretty good for the way things are going in the industry right now. Especially considering a large portion of that audience are dudes who probably still buy bootlegs. At best, they're gonna be looking at around slighly worse than Kid Cudi numbers (250kish).

The factors that I think are helping OF.

1) People want to relate to OF. Not the music necesarily, but the fact the Tylers a kid from the suburbs and made this crew by his goddamn self really draws a lot of people in.
2) OF is coming at the perfect time. Theres a backlash right now against all this softcore pop-rap thats filling the airwaves and OF is the damn polar opposite that people are looking for
3) 4chan loves him. OF is all /mu/ talks about. Whether you want to admit it or not, 4chan can and will help him move records.
4) Plenty of big ups from some HUGE NAMES.

I think its mostly the whole pseudo grassroots thing that people like. They're gunna buy him so they can have the satisfaction that they helped this kid reach the top. That they were in on the ground floor.
Watch.

WanderingWind

Tokubetsu said:
They'll do at least as well as dudes like Gucci and Flocka are doing (60k-100K+) and thats okay for the way things are going in the industry right now. At best, they're gonna be looking at around slighly worse than Kid Cudi numbers (250kish).

Maybe. Guess we'll see. But Gucci and Wacka had pop singles and Cudi had the Kanye connection.

siddx

Wacka didn't even have an album. It was a Lex Luger album featuring Wacka. Without Lex he would have sold negative albums.

WanderingWind

siddx said:
Wacka didn't even have an album. It was a Lex Luger album featuring Wacka. Without Lex he would have sold negative albums.

Triple wood, no doubt. I'm expecting some Wale like numbers

siddx

Lionheart1337 said:
Damn, the hate is strong on this page :lol

there isn't a single bit of hate towards OF on this page. Look a little harder. The argument is whether they can appeal to a large enough audience to have decent sales, not whether they are any good or not.

Pinko Marx said:
Still, siddx I think you're underestimating OF here. I suspect them to sell at least 200k.

Don't let the internet momentum fool you. I don't think those numbers are impossible. But idk how internet fame (Yonkers' 7-8 million views, and OF as a whole) will translate to sales, there are also many other factors, like how many stores are going to carry the record? And if they are leaning on digital sales (especially with their demographic), it will probably underwhelm. Time will tell I guess.

siddx said:
there isn't a single bit of hate towards OF on this page. Look a little harder. The argument is whether they can appeal to a large enough audience to have decent sales, not whether they are any good or not.

"3 copies instead of 7" sounds salty as hell, I`m not knocking your logic though. I`m pretty indifferent towards the group.

Detox

Not a big fan of OF either.They are a weird bunch and the core 3 rappers who I think are Earl, MellowHype and Tyler don't even deserve the comparisons to Wu, they're more similar to the Gravediggaz albeit much less talented. Frank Ocean seems like he could do something, his stuff is better than most mainstream RnB. Anyway I still wish them luck as you guys said they're just a bunch of guys doing their thing which is awesome.

Technique's article on XXL once again proves he knows his stuff, the ending is particularly powerful. Even though I don't agree with everything he says in it, he does raise some interesting points.

Detox said:
Not a big fan of OF either.They are a weird bunch and the core 3 rappers who I think are Earl, MellowHype and Tyler don't even deserve the comparisons to Wu, they're more similar to the Gravediggaz albeit much less talented. Frank Ocean seems like he could do something, his stuff is better than most mainstream RnB. Anyway I still wish them luck as you guys said they're just a bunch of guys doing their thing which is awesome.

Technique's article on XXL once again proves he knows his stuff, the ending is particularly powerful. Even though I don't agree with everything he says in it, he does raise some interesting points.
I've been saying that, but people tell me otherwise.

As for OF, I like them. Nothing to scream about, though. Props to them getting big names talking about them and shit of that nature.

siddx

Lionheart1337 said:
Don't let the internet momentum fool you. I don't think those numbers are impossible. But idk how internet fame (Yonkers' 7-8 million views, and OF as a whole) will translate to sales, there are also many other factors, like how many stores are going to carry the record? And if they are leaning on digital sales (especially with their demographic), it will probably underwhelm. Time will tell I guess.

"3 copies instead of 7" sounds salty as hell, I`m not knocking your logic though. I`m pretty indifferent towards the group.

3 copies instead of 7 is still just talking about their ability to sell records as a group of kids who have no interest in making the kind of song that will get them enough airplay to nail the oh so important teenage girl demographic. Young white girls make the world go round. How else do you think Wiz Charmin Ultra Khalifa managed to sell so many copies with that weak as fuck album? He "Rolled up" (and yes, THAT is hate, deserved hate.)

siddx said:
3 copies instead of 7 is still just talking about their ability to sell records as a group of kids who have no interest in making the kind of song that will get them enough airplay to nail the oh so important teenage girl demographic. Young white girls make the world go round. How else do you think Wiz Charmin Ultra Khalifa managed to sell so many copies with that weak as fuck album? He "Rolled up" (and yes, THAT is hate, deserved hate.)

Charmin Ultra....lmao

OFs got the young white bois on lock. They even got some girls. Just the other day I was gaming with this white chick who's name was "earl sweatshirt". OF has that youth appeal overall. It's really due to their subject matter. They are just kids not giving a shit and rebelling against everything just for the hell of it. They might not have the beiber bopper fans (no amount of tyler playing buddy buddy with him will change that, lol @ the idea of that crossover), but they got that eminem/hipster crowd thingie going.

FUCK
http://rapradar.com/2011/05/03/lil-b-talks-joint-ep-with-jay-electronica/

HiResDes

Being such a young group and getting compared to the Gravediggaz is still a compliment...Sure maybe they aren't as monumental or even as outrageous as the average OF fan perceives, but to use that as a detractor just seems ridiculous to me. I'd much rather see them enjoy whatever mild success they will probably endure than 80 percent of the rappers currently active in the industry. Tyler might not sell enough records to go gold, but he will sell enough to make an impact and a statement. Even an effort to try and be different is more noteworthy in my eyes than an effort to compromise one's artistic integrity. Get it fucking straight.

LOZLINK

OF are probably the most overhyped group ever, aside from Frank Ocean. They'll die out in a year or two, and doubt they'll ever touch the mainstream. Comparisons to Wu is just detestable. My 2 cents

HiResDes

It's not their fault they get compared to Wu-Tang, that's what you guys don't get...Tyler disses people who try to compare OF to Wu on Twitter daily, and it's not like there is any group that really compares to the sheer power of Wu-Tang....Even the Boot Camp Clik isn't quite on the same level. Calling them the most over-hyped group ever is just as ridiculous though, for example Young Money still exists.

LOZLINK

HiResDes said:
It's not their fault they get compared to Wu-Tang, that's what you guys don't get...Tyler disses people who try to compare OF to Wu on Twitter daily, and it's not like there is any group that really compares to the sheer power of Wu-Tang....Even the Boot Camp Clik isn't quite on the same level. Calling them the most over-hyped group ever is just as ridiculous though, for example Young Money still exists.
Who the fuck gives a damn about young money though? Fuckng gouda gouda cheese? Jae millz? When was the last time you heard their names lol. If it wasn't for one song that blew up, Odd future wouldn't have blown up. Shame tyler blew up more than Frank Ocean, since he's easily the best out of the group in terms of talent and long staying power.

HiResDes

Again they're not comparable, but I wouldn't rate one over the other either. Why doubt Goblin before hearing it? I think Bastard the title track reveals some of the most promising aspects of OF. Fucked up people like me can relate to their angle more so than any current rap group. People forget how young they are too, so much potential for growth

SUPREME1

Banned
So, I'll go ahead and assume that everyone in GAF-HOP has heard of DJ Quik. If so, skip to below the line for the goods. If not, and would like to learn a little about him, here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Quik

What Wiki does not mention is that Quik is a pioneer of rap music and coined the term banging on wax. Here is probably his most notable diss track (aimed at MC Eiht) for reference:

Dollaz + Sense

Wiki said:
On June 21, 2006, DJ Quik was convicted of assault of his sister and sentenced to five months in prison.[53] The incident occurred in 2003 when he allegedly "pistol-whipped" her for extorting him, according to police reports. DJ Quik was released early in October 2006

On his just recently released album, he disses
his sister!

Anyway, forgive the hook (big mistake Quik) and focus on his flame:

Ghetto Rendezvous

Check out his newly released album Book of David

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How did Spindashing, MThanded AND Pinko get banned? Osama thread? What did I miss? So many people banned when I come back on.

big ander

enzo_gt said:
How did Spindashing, MThanded AND Pinko get banned? Osama thread? What did I miss? So many people banned when I come back on.
Past PSN threads supposedly. Mods took a while to catch up. I don't know what got every person banned, but there are a TON of members grayed up now.

Uhh awkward first post um golf wang and uh I’m just rotating my tires, rotating my tires, rotating my tires, rotating my tires just because every has heard them but this post needed to be hip hop related.

WanderingWind

big ander said:
Past PSN threads supposedly. Mods took a while to catch up. I don't know what got every person banned, but there are a TON of members grayed up now.

Damn. Does grayed mean pema'd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom