• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grzi said:
I always tried to get more bang for my buck, so if a CD had a bunch of songs, I'd buy it (did anyone else do this lol?).
Haha, ya, I totally did that. This was before listening stations so all you had to go on was if you'd heard them before or if someone said they were good, and then how cool the album cover was and how long it looked for the price.

overcast said:
At what age did you guys start listening to hip hop? Did somebody push you towards hip hop?
In the early 1980s popping and locking was very popular, so electro was introduced early, and from there, older kids got into hip hop. My cousins would put on a tape and we'd try to break dance in the living room. I didn't start buying stuff myself until 6th grade though, and I didn't have much money, but most of my extra money went to music.

dskillzhtown said:
I think my first rap tape was Whodini - Back in Black. I used to love "Funky Beat".
Oh shit, I had that too, but I think I bought it later in high school. But still on cassette.

kamspy

HiResDes said:
I originally had Mecca & The Soul Brother in my top ten, but then it would have really been safe.

Your lack of obscure, eccentric rap albums in your top ten makes you a bad hip hopper Des.

Shame.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
dskillzhtown said:
Atleast he gave us "Soul on Ice". He will never top that, and never even come close.
Hey Rasassination was a sick album.

The only problem was that it was follow up to a historic, all time effort.

We're doing Top 10s? Hmm, I'll have to cook one up.

MThanded said:

bN6r2.png

Tokubetsu

kamspy said:
Then you missed the Young Guru interview where he said he was working on it and heard most of it.

BELIEVE

Don't. Don't do this kamspy. Don't.

EDIT: You know, no matter how I look at it, I just don't see how Gibbs signing with Jeezy was a good play. Jeezy is having a hell of a time staying relevant right now. That trap sound is on it's way out.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:
EDIT: You know, no matter how I look at it, I just don't see how Gibbs signing with Jeezy was a good play. Jeezy is having a hell of a time staying relevant right now. That trap sound is on it's way out.

The hood still loves Jeezy. All he needs is one single and he's back. Look at Rick Ross. He was popular, got kinda lukewarm and bounced back higher then ever. I don't know if Jeezy is going to do the amount of work Ross did to step his game up. Officer Ross really put a ton of effort into improving his craft. You don't see that very often in this sub genre of hip hop.

As for Gibbs on Jeezy's label=
JQY87.jpg

Hopefully. At least that's what Curren$y used the majors for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I skipped listening to the stream online, and just picked up the new Beastie Boys actual release. Shit is dope. That is all.

exarkun

@ Kampsy: I thought I was alone in noticing how much different/better officer ricky has gotten. Dude just improves his flow, makes a better rhyme. Jeezy on the other hand, has made the same song for a looooong ass time.

Acid08

Banned
Brettison said:
I skipped listening to the stream online, and just picked up the new Beastie Boys actual release. Shit is dope. That is all.
Fucking finally some of you getting on this shit. LISTEN TO IT GAF-HOP.

IrishNinja

Vik_Vaughn said:
I remember going to the store in 6th grade to get the "Whoomp there it is" tape and getting 95 South's "Whoot there it is" on accident. That really bummed me out.

ahahaha, another victim of my local scene swaggerjacking! you've gotta be miami-GAF too though, right? i cant imagine that shit made it north of ATL.

Zep said:
Why have I never heard of Funky DL? Im now just listening to "Classic was the day" and this is just pure win. Whats better than jazz and rap?!

from my tastes: nothing. be sure to check out nujabes, uyama hiroto, sound providers....there's a great thread for instrumental and jazz rap about.

TheOddOne said:
First hiphop song I ever heard? They Reminisce Over You. My pops said it was his favorite song from back in the day.

one of my first as well, still one of the best ever.

enzo_gt said:
Then, after that, Game can release his R.I.P. Osama Bin Laden track he's had stashed off in his archive of R.I.P. tracks for the past 4 years.

haha, this is sad. its like when KRS-1 says he has a diss track every year for every top 10 artist just to stay on his game, i wonder if Game has a R.I.P. track for every rapper/celebrity/etc going, and sometimes says "FUCK! how long is clint eastwood gonna live anyway?! verse 2 is dope, but it's not gonna be as relevant if people stop fuckin' with Tivo by then..."

TheOddOne said:
The Main Ingredient > Mecca and the Soul Brother

its close sometimes, but...nah. we can/should go track for track on this, though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
kamspy said:
Whoomp there it is made it to Cincy hard. And uh, 95 South > Tag Team

95 South had a better overall catalog, but man Whoomp there it is was the fucking jam.

kamspy

Pretty sure that's a song off the upcoming Yelawolf album that Tech got salty about and leaked with his partners on it.

Maybe someone could clarify, but I'm pretty sure it's part of Yela's paid, retail album and Tech didn't foot the production or studio bills on it. Kinda weak/desperate of him to leak his version of it...

Download at your own moral peril. If it pops up on Yela's twitter I'll download it.

Grind Date is pretty amazing. Though the Bonz Malone rants get a little tiring sometimes, lol

"I'm a fuck the shit out of you, and that's word!"

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Pretty sure that's a song off the upcoming Yelawolf album that Tech got salty about and leaked with his partners on it.

Maybe someone could clarify, but I'm pretty sure it's part of Yela's paid, retail album and Tech didn't foot the production or studio bills on it. Kinda weak/desperate of him to leak his version of it...

Download at your own moral peril. If it pops up on Yela's twitter I'll download it.
The song is off of techs upcoming album "all 6s and 7s" and the rumor was that yelas camp was hesistant to clear it.

siddx

kamspy said:

Yeah from what I read and figured, Yela's camp thought it was going to be a yela, twista, tech 9, busta song. And then Tech threw a bunch of his weed carriers on the track at which point someone whose job it is to make mountains out of molehills thought it might make yela look bad to be on a track occupied by a bunch of guys nobody outside of tech himself has heard of.

big ander

Shiiiiit people are getting Goblin. Leak should go wide soon.

EDIT: Or they're not? I dunno, there are definitely pictures from people with the final CD out there, but all the leaks are the ones tyler put out on purpose that just have Celine Dion and Shaq on them :lol

siddx

big ander said:
Shiiiiit people are getting Goblin. Leak should go wide soon.

EDIT: Or they're not? I dunno, there are definitely pictures from people with the final CD out there, but all the leaks are the ones tyler put out on purpose that just have Celine Dion and Shaq on them :lol

Uh oh, a leak might affect album sales, they could end up selling 3 copies instead of 7.

They certainly seem to be confident in their fan base spending their lunch money on this album.

siddx said:
Uh oh, a leak might affect album sales, they could end up selling 3 copies instead of 7.

They certainly seem to be confident in their fan base spending their lunch money on this album.

Think you're underestimating OF here and the popularity of people supporting a group they'd love to see grow.

big ander

Hahahaha there aren't any people with the physical copy either. Tyler faked the whole thing himself on 4chan.
siddx said:

I don't know how sales will be but they do have a ton of hype, could end up pretty damn successful. If Goblin and the Blackendwhite rerelease both tank I'll agree with you that they won't sell. For now I don't really care, I just want to hear the fuckawesome music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom