• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
First tape?
MC Hammer : Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em

yup...lol

After that I believe it was NWA's efil4zaggin, but I feel like there was another album in between that my shitty memory is forgetting. I know I got a Jungle's Brothers album that at the time I didn't appreciate, and Slick Rick's Great Adventures of Slick Rick.
Sir Mix-Alot's Mack Daddy and The Chronic was next. But by then I was buying every single cassette I could find that even looked remotely like hip hop.

I got into music at a later age, so my first "tape" was Outkast's Stankonia, followed by Timbaland and Magoo's Indecent Proposal.
I still didn't REALLY get into music until Kanye's College Dropout opened my eyes.

parrotbeak said:
Someone please me older than me. :(

I was in 6th grade in 1986 and I think I bought them at Sears of all places with birthday money.
im 29, and i think there are a few a little bit older then me, but i think you might be the oldest on gafhop

siddx

GodfatherX said:
im 29, and i think there are a few a little bit older then me, but i think you might be the oldest on gafhop

Kamspy is like 40 something. Maybe in his early 50's. And he dives a minivan.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Kamspy is the hood soccer dad. He's the one person who still buys clean versions of albums.

Fuck candy paint, he's got melted candy between the cushions. That clean version of Ridin' Dirty bumps through the stock stereo system as he ghost rides out the sliding door.

IrishNinja

fuck all ya'll, i meet up my man kams for that dennys early bird special every tuesday, with that mad sampler swag.

Res' list was cool, i only dont know # 7. my first tape was ripping off BMG or whoever in the day for the Juice soundtrack cause i loved "know the ledge" by Eric B & Rakim when i heard it in the flick, got that with the House of Pain album.

@ Rae: if he didn't run that that angle, Nas was gonna. im gonna agree with Kams here about Lil B taking the most truly christian attitude to the whole thing - even if by accident, and me admitting im not a big enough person to see shit that way - and ill take it a step further and say i like having opposing perspectives in hip-hop even when i don't agree with them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
Fuck candy paint, he's got melted candy between the cushions. That clean version of Ridin' Dirty bumps through the stock stereo system as he ghost rides out the sliding door.
Kamspy sounds softer than Jibbs.

18 GAF represent. YOUNG! My taste in music is the future. Raekwon ain't there. Deal with it.

Follow up tapes I bought around 6th-8th grade:

Run DMC up till Tougher than Leather
Fat Boys up till Coming Back Hard Again
King T - Act a Fool
Kid n Play - 2Hype
Tone Loc - whatever his 1st tape was called, Loc'ed After Dark?
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

My cousins were all into rap earlier than me in the early 80s so they had other stuff like Stetsasonic and Grand Master Flash, etc, but I only heard it when I was at their house.

I haven't listened to most of this stuff in years. Curious what you kids think of this older stuff. I've met people not too much younger than me who said Run DMC was too old sounding to get into.

Fat Boys - Sex Machine

Kid N Play - Rollin With Kid N Play
King T - Ko Rock Stuff

PBY

Banned
juciy-lex-front.jpg
http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/13643/juicy_j_lex_luger_rubba_band_business_2.html

siddx

I feel ashamed to have left Cypress Hill's Black Sunday of my greatest albums of all time list. I'm listening to it right now before I go to bed and man it brings back memories. There was a time when I was obsessed with Cypress Hill. The first 4 albums are all fantastic imo. Temples of boom took a long time to grow on me but I see it as genius now.

man...listening to temples of boom real quick as well...black sunday is "more fun" to listen to, but the production on Temples is fucking brilliant.

Grzi

My first rap tape was MC Hammer - Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em.
I was a five year old white kid, my dad was a sailor, he pretty much sailed through most of the world, so I always had shit other kids in my country only dreamed about. He would always bring back a lot of music, mostly R&B stuff, but Hammer's album was the first rap CD.

The second album I got was 36 chambers, and it is by far still my favourite album of all time. I was 8 when I first listened to it.
The third rap album I listened to (my cousin bought it, I still have that CD) was Luniz - Operation Stackola.
Then came Biggie's Life After Death (my favourite MC), 2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. and All Eyez On Me, Puffy with No Way Out and Forever.
Those were all albums I got as a present, but the first two rap albums I bought as a kid were Meth & Red's Blackout and the compilation Irv Gotti presents... The Murderers. I was 13 years old. I still remember the excitement of coming home and listening to those albums for the first time. I loved the Murderers album, although I think it's pretty bad now, but I was a huge Ja Rule fan back then. But the reason I bought the album (besides having heard We Murderers Baby on the Next Friday OST) was the fact it had like 25 songs. I always tried to get more bang for my buck, so if a CD had a bunch of songs, I'd buy it (did anyone else do this lol?).
Anyway, after that, I would buy a CD every week, sometimes even more, I'd spend most of my time listening to music, comparing albums and whatnot.

overcast

Wow. I feel young here. First Hip Hop album I really bought was Marshall Mathers LP. Good times. Back when I was 7. Although my older brother bought it, not me. I wasn't exclusively listening to Hip Hop back then (nor am I now). But I seperated completely for afew years. Came back in middle school to shitty poppy hip hop. Changed at the end of middle school.

At what age did you guys start listening to hip hop? Did somebody push you towards hip hop?

Jay Sosa

siddx said:
I feel ashamed to have left Cypress Hill's Black Sunday of my greatest albums of all time list. I'm listening to it right now before I go to bed and man it brings back memories. There was a time when I was obsessed with Cypress Hill. The first 4 albums are all fantastic imo. Temples of boom took a long time to grow on me but I see it as genius now.

man...listening to temples of boom real quick as well...black sunday is "more fun" to listen to, but the production on Temples is fucking brilliant.
temples of boom is so amazing when you're in a certain mindstate..when sober not so much.

first album i bought was og by ice t..still love that record especially 5 in the morning..or was it 6 in the morning?b

Zep

Banned
Why have I never heard of Funky DL? Im now just listening to "Classic was the day" and this is just pure win. Whats better than jazz and rap?!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
parrotbeak said:
My first rap cassettes were Run DMC's King of Rock and Fat Boys' Big and Beautiful. You feeling old for having a Ghostface tape makes me feel really old.

I think my first rap tape was Whodini - Back in Black. I used to love "Funky Beat".

dope4goldrope said:

He is being a bitch on twitter today having an argument with is ex for the world to see. Hard to believe dude is 30+ acting like he is in high school.

Double D

I remember going to the store in 6th grade to get the "Whoomp there it is" tape and getting 95 South's "Whoot there it is" on accident. That really bummed me out.

siddx

overcast said:
Wow. I feel young here. First Hip Hop album I really bought was Marshall Mathers LP. Good times. Back when I was 7. Although my older brother bought it, not me. I wasn't exclusively listening to Hip Hop back then (nor am I now). But I seperated completely for afew years. Came back in middle school to shitty poppy hip hop. Changed at the end of middle school.

At what age did you guys start listening to hip hop? Did somebody push you towards hip hop?

I was 8...man has it really been 21 years? Scary to think i've been listening for longer than half of gaf has been alive. Some kid in my class asked me if I had heard of Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. I thought he was talking about ice cream flavors. They mocked me for my ignorance so I went out and found the albums during a trip to India.

kamspy

siddx, I'm fucking stuck on the chick from Karmin now. I wanna bang every ounce of innocence out of that pussy and leave in a hot, sweaty pile of semen.

EDIT: I really hope she's >18 after posting that...

dskillzhtown

Actually I think one of the moments in life that was a turning point not only in music, but life was a trip to Washington D.C. while in high school. I brought Public Enemy - "It Takes a Nation of Millions..." with me. I remember wearing that tape out during that week. I still bump PE every now and then.

siddx

kamspy said:
siddx, I'm fucking stuck on the chick from Karmin now. I wanna bang every ounce of innocence out of that pussy and leave in a hot, sweaty pile of semen.

EDIT: I really hope she's >18 after posting that...

hahaha I'm pretty sure she is, and I agree. God damn her sexy ass.

Double D

Shit really clicked for me in about sixth grade. One of my current best friends had just moved from another state and entered my school. I listened to hip-hop before that, but when he showed me his collection of 'Explicit' cds, I about shit myself. Unedited rap had been unreachable for me until then. I remember blasting The Chronic at a school dance and getting in trouble once the teachers caught on. Good shit

overcast said:

Like I said, I got into hip-hop at a later age than what I think most people do. It was around 12-13 when I first started listening. Until then music was mostly just background noise I listened to but didn't really care too much about. The first album that was MINE was Outkast's Stankonia, but hanging around my brother and trying to be cool n shit exposed me to the Hypnotize Mind Camp Posse and Eminem and all sorts of other gangsta rap.

kamspy

WTF is Rass even talking about? I couldn't really get anything out of the cut.

Also, the Rae song was apparently done like 2-3 years ago for Scram Jones album (per 2dopeboyz). Just releasing it now for maximum hype.

dskillzhtown

Tokubetsu said:
Oh man! I thought I was gonna have to wait at least a week for a ras kass bin laden track!

Atleast he gave us "Soul on Ice". He will never top that, and never even come close.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
WTF is Rass even talking about? I couldn't really get anything out of the cut.

Also, the Rae song was apparently done like 2-3 years ago for Scram Jones album (per 2dopeboyz). Just releasing it now for maximum hype.
I think Game needs to slap him up a few more times.

Then, after that, Game can release his R.I.P. Osama Bin Laden track he's had stashed off in his archive of R.I.P. tracks for the past 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom