• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'd say kobashi is Canibus's weed carrier the way he's hyping him up, but Canibus can't even afford to have a weed carrier.

Esch

Banned
siddx said:
I'd say kobashi is Canibus's weed carrier the way he's hyping him up, but Canibus can't even afford to have a weed carrier.
Canibustans are a rare specimen indeed

broke ass second rate emcee IMO

Detox

Who wrote Bis's wiki entry?
Canibus is well-known for his extensive vocabulary and vivid imagery, as well as creating intricate rhyme schemes, complex phrases and concepts that he uses in order to provide an artistic depth to his music.
Fuck me, that makes him sound like a god.

Detox said:
Who wrote Bis's wiki entry?
Fuck me, that makes him sound like a god.
0064_qaev.gif

exarkun

Heard from a friend who works/manages an indie label that Tyler and Co were created by a label, given their backstories, and then they let them work. He didn't deny that they had talent, but said that was why a bunch of indie labels wouldn't give them deals cause, well, they had their indie/hipster label status to keep up.

That, and their parents are rich as fuck which is how they got the studio to put them together in the first place. He prefaced this by saying the album is dope though. So theres that.

Tokubetsu

exarkun said:
Heard from a friend who works/manages an indie label that Tyler and Co were created by a label, given their backstories, and then they let them work. He didn't deny that they had talent, but said that was why a bunch of indie labels wouldn't give them deals cause, well, they had their indie/hipster label status to keep up.

That, and their parents are rich as fuck which is how they got the studio to put them together in the first place. He prefaced this by saying the album is dope though. So theres that.

Would not be surprised if true. The way the current entertainment industry is, you literally cannot get anywhere without a lot of money or knowing people or both. Especially rap where people steal from you wholesale, from your swag to your actual music, before you get the chance to get anywhere.

big ander

exarkun said:

I won't believe this for now, but the cynic in me knows it's possible.

Recon

Banned
exarkun said:

While i think its entirely possible, and makes sense in a weird way, i dont want to believe it. I want to believe a group of hip hop artists can make it big on their own without conforming to typical mainstream bullshit.

DominoKid

exarkun said:

your friend sounds like a hater.

LOZLINK

exarkun said:

Well, there goes yonkers out of the window.

Tokubetsu

LOZLINK said:
Well, there goes yonkers out of the window.

I don't think ALL their parents are rich as fuck. I think it's more particularly Syd/Taco's since they're the ones that basically have a studio in their fucking house.

exarkun

DominoKid said:
your friend sounds like a hater.

Yea, thats what I thought. He was saying that oddfuture was THE buzz at SxSW. Some big label dudes and people basically tripping over themselves to get at them. Actually kind of awkward when he told me, cause I like them alot and hadn't thought of this possibility. Not that it really takes away from anything I guess, just kind of meh.

I kind of thought this friend was abrasive and that nothing would come out of our relationship. But he invited me once to their studio when Bun came through. Was real tight, and they seem to know their shit about the hip-hop world so I dunno. He could be for real.

Edit: Is it true there was some funny or die video of them talking about how they wouldn't sell out and one of the instances they made fun of is having a cartoon? He said they have a cartoon now, I didn't know that.

mooooose

exarkun said:

I can vouch that this is 100% incorrect. Tyler met a bunch of dudes through connections and ended up meeting Syd and Taco, two kids who are really well off with a studio. That's that. Things blew up from there, but they weren't given anything explicitly except some opportunity.

exarkun

mooooose said:
I can vouch that this is 100% incorrect. Tyler met a bunch of dudes through connections and ended up meeting Syd and Taco, two kids who are really well off with a studio. That's that. Things blew up from there, but they weren't given anything explicitly except some opportunity.

YESSSSSSSSS. Thank you. Faith restored. I can now still call my friend a douche.

siddx

exarkun said:
YESSSSSSSSS. Thank you. Faith restored. I can now still call my friend a douche.

Not saying mooooose is incorrect because he very well could be right, but why believe him over your friend who works in the hip hop industry and seems to be in position to have more knowledge of what may be true or not?

big ander

exarkun said:
Edit: Is it true there was some funny or die video of them talking about how they wouldn't sell out and one of the instances they made fun of is having a cartoon? He said they have a cartoon now, I didn't know that.
The joke in the FOD video was that they would be in a Disney Channel cartoon. I believe at that point they were already planning their Adult Swim cartoon/sketch show.
mooooose said:
Cool.

siddx

kobashi100 said:
few lines aimed at Bis. Most of the track aimed at Arsonal.

wondering if Bis will respond with another track to this.

Probably, it's not like he has much else to do these days but try to stay relevant by trying to maintain beef with other rappers.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
Not saying mooooose is incorrect because he very well could be right, but why believe him over your friend who works in the hip hop industry and seems to be in position to have more knowledge of what may be true or not?

Anonymous Internet Guy> Over His friend with Connections...lol.

mooooose

HiResDes said:
I'm pretty sure they all met on Hypebeast
Tyler met some people on Hypebeast, but no one from OF. He met Taco on Fairfax, started hanging out with him, met Syd, then met Hodgy through Syd, who then introduced them to Left Brain. Things snowballed from there.

But Tyler did meet people from HB, like one of their photographers, Julian.

Jay Sosa

exarkun said:
who cares? dre never was a g, ross is a police officer, the clipse probably never sold more than a few gram and cam is most likely gay (n/h)

i dont give a fuck as long as the music is good..

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
who cares? dre never was a g, ross is a police officer, the clipse probably never sold more than a few gram and cam is most likely gay (n/h)

C'mon Cam's not gay, didn't you see him screwing that chick in Paid in Full while doing The Dougie.

siddx

On a side note, for the other 2 people who downloaded or were interested in that Mac Lethal tape a few pages back...it's disappointing as fuck. Really unpolished, terrible hooks, boring beats, and it's basically just song after song of him complaining about or pining over his ex. He's capable of so much more. Really really disappointing.

exarkun

Jay Sosa said:

Ross was a corrections officer. Biiiig difference. Kinda. lol.

I guess you guys are right. Someday though, I will find out for certain. Its like when lil flip was feuding with ti a few years ago. I'll never know if lil flip did really start to cry when ti's entourage shot at them at a jack-in-the-box in flip's neighborhood. If he's soft, then he's soft, doesn't change the fact that he's a rapper from houston with a decent rap game.

mooooose

You know OF is taking off when the conspiracy theories start (beyond Free Earl). All of their shit is just jokes, which is why it sucks that Tyler is considered "satanic cool". He's just being funny. He's being a rapping Jason Dill.

You don't need to believe me, but whatever. Just putting the truth out there.
Jay Sosa said:

I mean...

http://www.sohh.com/2010/01/the_clipses_ex-manager_sentenced_to_32_y.html

I can't say for certain, like with OF... but I think Clipse has been in the game a little longer than given credit.

DominoKid

Jay Sosa said:

explain!

siddx

DominoKid said:

Can't speak for Sosa, but anytime someone says no homo and aren't being sarcastic or joking about it, all I hear is "I am closeted as fuck and so insecure I have to constantly make sure people don't think I am gay because facing the fact I like men is too hard for me...cause i'm a fucking tool".

mooooose

siddx said:
Can't speak for Sosa, but anytime someone says no homo and aren't being sarcastic or joking about it, all I hear is "I am closeted as fuck and so insecure I have to constantly make sure people don't think I am gay because facing the fact I like men is too hard for me...cause i'm a fucking tool".
You mean... Cam somehow turned NYC temporarily gay in 2002 through 2006 (roughly)???

Double D

kamspy said:
After Can I Bus and 2000BC I had to stop buying dudes records. Dunno if he made anything good after that. Canibus needs to take a shot at the leather hats. That's the glowing orange weak spot in Royce's frame.

EDIT: Props to Adrian Brody.
If you like fantastic beats/production you owe it to yourself to listen to Rip the Jacker.

Also, agree with you about the aotl beat. Shit does absolutely nothing for me.

siddx

The first version of AOTL was nice. It was simple, the drums didn't sound like they were programmed by an autistic child on speed, and it sounded like it would end up being a great touch the sky type beat.

siddx

HiResDes said:
See that's why I don't understand the dislike of Devil in a New Dress, which is a very clean and economical soulful beat.

It's a great beat...that goes on 2 minutes too long. It should have faded out around 3:30.
And Kanye ruins it with his meaningless nonsense. Would have loved to see either Ghostface take it in one direction, or someone like Common take it another. But Kanye is just blathering with his subpar lyrics and horrid delivery.

siddx said:
It's a great beat...that goes on 2 minutes too long. It should have faded out around 3:30.
And Kanye ruins it with his meaningless nonsense. Would have loved to see either Ghostface take it in one direction, or someone like Common take it another. But Kanye is just blathering with his subpar lyrics and horrid delivery.

Here you go...

I only go back to the Kanye version cuz Ross' verse was pretty good.

HiResDes said:
See that's why I don't understand the dislike of Devil in a New Dress, which is a very clean and economical soulful beat.

ive never heard that word used to describe a song

exarkun

HiResDes said:

Ross>Kanye on his own track.

Catchin feelins, never stumblin, retracing my steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom