• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lionheart1337 said:
Sure is oldhead in here.....

Where the heck is Exhibit A?

Strictly beats... maybe I'll come back with my top 5 tracks he was behind.

HiResDes said:
Take off Breathe, that shit is seriously corny as fuck
I don't like the song that much, but has to be one of his top 5 beats.

That beat is incredible though, which is only what I was really judging here. Too bad he gave it to Fab. :-/

HiResDes

Yes and Diamonds and Macs is indeed fire, so is Exhibit A...Those are probably all in my top five. PSA would probably take my top spot

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lionheart1337 said:
I honestly don't know how a Fab can stay relevant but a Joe Budden can't.

is it the singles?

Fab figured out early on how to make songs that will get radio play and club play. Budden is too busy bitching at his ex to learn how to get some mainstream appeal.

Lionheart1337 said:

is it the singles?

I think a big part of it is Joe is really cheap. He'll spend $10,000 making an album and pocket the rest of his advance, recording in shitty studios, constantly fucking with soundclick beat makers for freebies, etc. For a while he didn't really invest in the overall product and it really showed. Play a MM1 - Escape Route era song and then play one from his MM4-era days. That said, he still two-tracked a few songs there and almost got strangled by Just Blaze for rapping over an unfinished beat of his and not having it mixed properly.

tl;dr most people can't look past music with shitty sound quality

Lionheart1337 said:

is it the singles?

Budden can't make another Pump It Up. Every "mainstreamish" sounding record he's made since then he was either forced to make by the label (and wasn't good), or was made by choice and just wasn't good.

I think he's pretty much stopped trying since then. Not like he's desperate for money so why bother.

kamspy

Lionheart1337 said:

is it the singles?

Fab didn't turn into a mad rapper. Well, Budden was mad on his debut, so I dunno. Guess he was doomed from the start. Joey's also a fiend.

I hear you guys, it's a shame I think dude really could have been great. He supposedly used some advance money from Amalgam to put a down payment on a car for Tahiry. Bargain bin beats all day I guess.

Lionheart1337 said:
I hear you guys, it's a shame I think dude really could have been great. He supposedly used some advance money from Amalgam to put a down payment on a car for Tahiry. Bargain bin beats all day I guess.

I don't know where this "bargain bun beats" thing comes from though, especially recently. J Cardim has given him some GREAT beats IMO. Whether they were mixed down properly or not is another thing, but they were good beats.

Net_Wrecker said:
I don't know where this "bargain bun beats" thing comes from though, especially recently. J Cardim has given him some GREAT beats IMO. Whether they were mixed down properly or not is another thing, but they were good beats.

Cardim has given him some of his best stuff admittedly but I feel like the bulk of it is meh.

Net_Wrecker said:
Those are pretty recent, though. And to my knowledge he's gotten the bulk of them for free. Sort've related, but my favorite J. Cardim and Budden collaboration is probably Downfall.

btw: Snapple fact. It cost Joe Budden $20k to make Mood Muzik 3. $10k was for Fabolous's guest verse on Family Reunion.

dope4goldrope said:
Those are pretty recent, though. And to my knowledge he's gotten the bulk of them for free. Sort've related, but my favorite J. Cardim and Budden collaboration is probably Downfall.

btw: Snapple fact. It cost Joe Budden $20k to make Mood Muzik 3. $10k was for Fabolous's guest verse on Family Reunion.

Amalgam paid game 90k for the Game verse on Escape Route I think it was?

WTF.

Lionheart1337 said:
Amalgam paid game 90k for the Game verse on Escape Route I think it was?

WTF.

Padded Room, but yeah. Hahahahahahhahaha. Shit got so bad with Amalgam that Just Blaze was offering them free beats if they let Joe appear on Recovery. (Session One was going to make the retail album but was moved to iTunes bonus when Amalgam wouldn't clear Joe)

Also, don't know if anyone heard this indie rap album (probably have, few years old now) but I thought it was VERY impressive, especially considering that no samples were used. Somobe - The Great Communication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfcz4l-KtkA

dope4goldrope said:
Padded Room, but yeah. Hahahahahahhahaha. Shit got so bad with Amalgam that Just Blaze was offering them free beats if they let Joe appear on Recovery. (Session One was going to make the retail album but was moved to iTunes bonus when Amalgam wouldn't clear Joe)

And Just Blaze trolled people by playing like 3 seconds of Budden's verse on Session One right after that whole ordeal too. :lol

Tokubetsu

Budden needs to just stop trying to wife up these video hoes. You wouldn't help put a down payment on a car for a stripper would you?

You would have think he woulda learned the first time with that Spanish one from like 03. The one that had a video of her eating out some other chick in Uncle Luke's Spring Break 99 video...

kamspy

Net_Wrecker said:
Alright man, you done went too far.

No one deserves that.

wiz-budden-o.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lionheart1337 said:
Could have been great? WTF? Joe Budden is incredible, and I'd rather hear more of his "emo" rap than half the generic garbage out there today.

The Mood Muzik series are classics, and he essentially pioneered his lyrical subjects in contemporary hip-hop, along with utilizing the internet to get awareness.

The reason why his mainstream career fell apart was due to Def Jam refusing to do anything with him for years.

HiResDes

SoulPlaya said:
Could have been great? WTF? Joe Budden is incredible, and I'd rather hear more of his "emo" rap than half the generic garbage out there today.

The Mood Muzik series are classics, and he essentially pioneered his lyrical subjects in contemporary hip-hop, along with utilizing the internet to get awareness.

The reason why his mainstream career fell apart was due to Def Jam refusing to do anything with him for years.
Mood Music 4 is really good, 2 is good, I don't really care about the rest...And it's hard to gauge how a good a guy is when he's constantly rapping over beats that sound like unaltered Rocky themes with added drums.

SoulPlaya said:

Aye, forreal he doesn't get enough credit for the bold. he was staying afloat in 2004 through his website and AllHipHop's forum before a lot of these rapper caught on. There are interviews from back then where he pretty much called exactly how the internet was going to give exposure to people who wouldn't normally get any on the radio.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
HiResDes said:
Mood Music 4 is really, 2 is good, I don't really care about the rest...And it's hard to gauge how a good a guy is when he's constantly rapping over beats that sound like unaltered Rocky themes with added drums.
I'll be honest, and it's probably obvious from my earlier posts in this thread. I don't care about beats, relative to lyrics. If being underground (even though he's signed to Shady, as a part of Slaughterhouse) means he gets to rap about whatever he wants, even if it's over garbage beats, then I'd rather he stay independent.

HiResDes said:
Mood Music 4 is really, 2 is good, I don't really care about the rest...And it's hard to gauge how a good a guy is when he's constantly rapping over beats that sound like unaltered Rocky themes with added drums.

This. Also, I`m not saying Joey isn't great. He's not really living up to his full potential as far as production and his songs get redundant. I think he could gotten legendary acclaim.

Rocky themes lol

HiResDes

The beats are at least a third of the equation, and don't feed into the hype that great beats cost a lot of money to make or receive...They don't

Let's just say it straight up, Budden doesn't have a great ear for beats. Every now and then he gets a gem, a couple good ones, but the majority of em are usually average/boring or pretty meh. And that's coming from a longtime fan.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Lionheart1337 said:
This. Also, I`m not saying Joey isn't great. He's not really living up to his full potential as far as production and his songs get redundant. I think he could gotten legendary acclaim.

Rocky themes lol
I think he enjoys the freedom of being away from a major label solo wise. His time being mistreated at Def Jam has probably scarred him.

The guy lives in a big house (it's a got a damn elevator in it), and he gets plenty of money from shows (which do sell outs in smaller venues), and he makes profits off his albums because of the cheap beats. He knows that no matter what beat he has on it, his shit isn't going to sell as long as he raps about what he raps about. Plenty of guys get incredible beats, pay a lot for them, and don't sell shit.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Net_Wrecker said:
Let's just say it straight up, Budden doesn't have a great ear for beats. Every now and then he gets a gem, a couple good ones, but the majority of em are usually average/boring or pretty meh. And that's coming from a longtime fan.

a lot of east coast rappers suffer from this.. Nas comes to mind...

HiResDes

Economically it makes sense, artistically not so much...It would be like taking the time to craft great poetry, and then writing it in Comic Sans.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
HiResDes said:
Economically it makes sense, artistically not so much...It would be like taking the time to craft great poetry, and then writing it in Comic Sans.
Artistically, it makes perfect sense, if it means that he would have sacrifice some of his artistic freedom to afford more expensive beats.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, i just spun Goblin and I'm with Phoenix and siddx on this one. It's average to me- the whole shock value element of it is kinda weak. Look at who these kids are. They're not gangbangers or particularly poor. Their shock value is all bark and no bite. They're a couple of kids who can turn a phrase pretty well, and are solid producers given their experience. But as of right now this odd future shit is the marilyn manson of hip hop to me. Don't get it. Or why people dig it.

Detox

Blackace said:
a lot of east coast rappers suffer from this.. Nas comes to mind...
Nas is the worst. Premier said NY state of mind when Nas actually rhymed over it was nothing like the finished product. Basically Nas spat all his bars on mostly ok - good beats. The competition between all the legendary producers on illmatic made them work more on their beats after everything had been recorded to turn them into classic beats. I have to say guys like Preem and other producers do watch Nas's back and whenever he needs a beat they always bring the best with them. I just wish someone like Large Professor would exec prod all of Nas's albums to keep the production tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom