• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

You don't have to be poor to be feel like an outcast or to feel jaded with life psychologically speaking. They've also never claimed to have gangbanged so that's just irrelevant. Tyler and Earl are too focused on being funny to be considered pure shock rappers IMO...Like have you ever heard Bitches Brewin?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I dont really have an issue with the subject matter, although I tend to prefer rappers to make an attempt at being a little more varied. I feel like Tyler has backed himself into a corner subject matter wise in that if he ever wants to try for a more serious song or something with a softer subject matter, its going to be hard to take him serous. Although he is talented enough he could pull it off.

Nas, Joe Budden, Canabis (sp), Eminem, 50 post Massacre, Raekwon before OBFCL2 and a few others qualify for deaf ears when it comes to beats.

I'd say Ghostface, Rick Ross, Game, Master Ace and a few others know how to pick diamonds in the rough (ie cheap, no name producers).

kamspy

Rick Ross didn't pick good beats. He paid for good beats. He used all of the money DefJam gave him for the album, on the album. Justice League, Kanye West, Lex Luger, Swizz, etc. It banged. Now he's indie and about to make real paper.

The rappers yall are mentioning, as far as common sense goes (the thing, not the rapper), are dumbasses. You know Nas buys some shit with those advances. Canibus buys those crazy speaker covered rollcage things. Those can't be cheap. Nas buys wives. I know from personal experience that ain't cheap. Joe Budden buys oxy/boy and wives. That's why he has to buy his beats on MySpace and record in his apartment on Audacity.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
kamspy said:
Rick Ross didn't pick good beats. He paid for good beats. He used all of the money DefJam gave him for the album, on the album. Justice League, Kanye West, Lex Luger, Swizz, etc. It banged. Now he's indie and about to make real paper.

The rappers yall are mentioning, as far as common sense goes (the thing, not the rapper), are dumbasses. You know Nas buys some shit with those advances. Canibus buys those crazy speaker covered rollcage things. Those can't be cheap. Nas buys wives. I know from personal experience that ain't cheap. Joe Budden buys oxy/boy and wives. That's why he has to buy his beats on MySpace and record in his apartment on Audacity.
Joe Budden was picking "bad" beats, even when he was totally clean and was only dating Tahiry (and she had a job). Nas had a bad ear for beats before he ever met Kelis. Canibus gets money from no one to buy beats.

BTW, probably just my own "bad ear" for beats, but I thought the production on Distant Relatives and Nas' untitled album were pretty good. Like I said earlier, I also like a lot of Budden's beat selection.

kamspy

Well Nas had that deal with Trackmasters for It Was Written and I Am. Look at God's Son and Street's disciple. Those albums did not cost shit to make. LES is his boy and isn't gonna bang him price. Salam Remi worked at pizza hut. Hip Hop is Dead had more big name producers, I'll give it that. Untitled, yeah. DJ Toomp. More Salam Remi. You know the budgets were waaaay bigger then what those cost. Outside of Hip Hop is Dead.

Canibus was signed. At one point. IIRC, Wyclef was his manager, and that was during 'Clef's cocaine and machete days. lol.

Esch

Banned
HiResDes said:
You don't have to be poor to be feel like an outcast or to feel jaded with life psychologically speaking. They've also never claimed to have gangbanged so that's just irrelevant. Tyler and Earl are too focused on being funny to be considered pure shock rappers IMO...Like have you ever heard Bitches Brewin?

I'm just saying that the "threat" in their music feels too much of a paper tiger for them to be captivating. Not feeling the comedy too much in their raps, not that it's not there; just that it's a chuckle rather than a genuine laugh.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
I'm just saying that the "threat" in their music feels too much of a paper tiger for them to be captivating. Not feeling the comedy too much in their raps, not that it's not there; just that it's a chuckle rather than a genuine laugh.

Have you listened to it really loud on headphones?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
Why do people even rhyme over that AotL beat?
This is what I've been saying for months.
HiResDes said:
Honestly, I'm not seeing the humour. It's obscene and shock humour, and I've never really laughed at swearing or creating the most ludicrous combinations of twisted and sick shit out of em.

kamspy said:

I lol'd

you just described me exactly haha

Rick Ross is not indie. And yes, he picked good beats and payed for them. Lots of people buy expensive beats, but they don't have albums that sound like Teflon Don or Deeper Than Rap. Dude has taste.

Nas could get beats from most producers for basically free if he wanted; that's how bad people want to work with him. Instead he'd rather stick with his dudes. Dude is such a god damn clown. I'm glad Distant Relatives has been such a massive hit for him, and hope he realizes he could be so much greater if he just sat down with Premier and some other good producers.

Joe Budden is a joke. I'm a hater, and my soul burns seeing him signing to Shady/getting paid. Dude makes good music but is such an asshole I can't tolerate it. He'll snort his fame away eventually.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
Rick Ross is not indie. And yes, he picked good beats and payed for them. Lots of people buy expensive beats, but they don't have albums that sound like Teflon Don or Deeper Than Rap. Dude has taste.

Nas could get beats from most producers for basically free if he wanted; that's how bad people want to work with him. Instead he'd rather stick with his dudes. Dude is such a god damn clown. I'm glad Distant Relatives has been such a massive hit for him, and hope he realizes he could be so much greater if he just sat down with Premier and some other good producers.

Joe Budden is a joke. I'm a hater, and my soul burns seeing him signing to Shady/getting paid. Dude makes good music but is such an asshole I can't tolerate it. He'll snort his fame away eventually.
For a Joe Budden hater, you missed the obvious suicide joke. I think he's pretty good, and a smart guy, despite having a bit of an ego.

kamspy

I thought Ricky was off Def Jam as an artist after Teflon? I know he's got a distribution deal for MMG, but I coulda swore I heard that he wasn't signed to DefJam as an artist after TD.

If you're only working with a distribution deal you might as well be indie. Indie doesn't have to mean that you have to sell your records on your own website.

As for Joe Budden suicide attempts, that's just another example of his incompetence to get shit done. I fuck with some Joey tracks. I bought his first album and tried to get a lot of people hip to it. Then he got on that mad rapper shit, but in his case it was funny because he pissed snorted it away himself. He wasn't fucked by any outside influence. Def Jam didn't want to leave him on the shelf. He couldn't provide them anything to sell.

Nabs

PhoenixDark said:

He'll find a way to fuck that up.

DominoKid

T-Pain - prEVOLVEr mixtape (fucking finally)
20110505-TPAIN.jpg

hope its got some dope songs on it like Thr33 Ringz

edit: most people dont enjoy T-Pain's rapping but i do. he does some funny stuff w/ his delivery. pretty good mixtape. the track w/ Field Mob is raw.

surprised he didnt put the YM on the back cover since he's on Young Money now.

kamspy

PhoenixDark said:
Ah I thought Ross signed to Warner Bros., but it's just a distribution deal for his Maybach label. hmmm

Well, I can't tell you 100%, but that's what I gather from random blog posts.

DominoKid

Hey Lil B I heard you like video games?

lil-b.jpg

"Young Based God and I'm buying all the Xbox games.
Used PS2 on my dick swaggin on you lames."

flbxnk.jpg

i love being friends w/ Lil B on facebook. he posts the dumbest shit

brilliant lyrics by myself btw.

CRS

Full Metal Jacket said:
Anyone else watching Son of A Gun? Juice remake starring Soulja Boy is going to be a disaster.
Wait. The remake is actually happening?! Is Soulja Boy paying this with his own money? I couldn't see anyone with a sensible mind paying for it.

IrishNinja

PhoenixDark said:
I'm glad Distant Relatives has been such a massive hit for him, and hope he realizes he could be so much greater if he just sat down with Premier and some other good producers.

i dont follow your example here.
primo + nas = shit you, i, and most of this thread (dudes with taste, anyway) would eat up, but as much as i adore premier's sound, how would that bank in a scene of house beats? id be happy to see a radio hit, but then again, nas pays baby momma vampire with tours anyway i guess.
joey's good, but he talks too much, and belongs running in the lane he's in. that said, a few vids posted here show he was mainstream for a minute long enough to kinda know how it works, telling me he's ok with where he's at. could be wrong.

Blackace said:
a lot of east coast rappers suffer from this.. Nas comes to mind...

you say stuff like this that i back 100%, but then you go saying swizz > blaze and lose me...

Tokubetsu said:
Soulja Boy, eat your heart out

haha...my thoughts, these are them.

Jay Sosa

exarkun said:
Ross was a corrections officer. Biiiig difference. Kinda. lol.

I guess you guys are right. Someday though, I will find out for certain. Its like when lil flip was feuding with ti a few years ago. I'll never know if lil flip did really start to cry when ti's entourage shot at them at a jack-in-the-box in flip's neighborhood. If he's soft, then he's soft, doesn't change the fact that he's a rapper from houston with a decent rap game.
the entire flip situation was shady as fuck..especially that notorious video that showed ti beating up flip..especially considering ti looked like he got hit by a bus a few days after that..

kinda funny that at that time flip was the way more sucessful and popular guy. now he's even more irrelevant than canibus and ja rule. funyy coincidence that you mention him cause i wanzed to post that i forgot to put undaground legend in my top 10. dude made me a screw fan and for that im forever thankful to him. also introduced me to ro and banner...anyway where we?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Full Metal Jacket said:
Anyone else watching Son of A Gun? Juice remake starring Soulja Boy is going to be a disaster.
Wait.. seriously? This is actually happening? There are no adequate words to express my distaste of this.

Jay Sosa

siddx said:
Can't speak for Sosa, but anytime someone says no homo and aren't being sarcastic or joking about it, all I hear is "I am closeted as fuck and so insecure I have to constantly make sure people don't think I am gay because facing the fact I like men is too hard for me...cause i'm a fucking tool".
exactly..the more someone mentions he's not gay the more likely he is.

TheOddOne

As much as I love Premo beats, the dude really has to change it up once in while. Its getting annoying when you hear the same thing every 4 bars.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
PhoenixDark said:
Ah I thought Ross signed to Warner Bros., but it's just a distribution deal for his Maybach label. hmmm

Can someone explain to em what Diddy is doing for Ross? Is that his management now or some shit?

Jay Sosa

Finally bought Apollo Kids and Chico Dusty, they were only 5€ brand new on amazon..

Not the biggest GFK fan (like every other member in the Clan his album are so goddamn inconsistent, for one of the supposedly best groups in rap they sure put out a lot of awful solo records) but the production sounded (when I previewed it) so brilliantly soulful..

Also bought an album from some Ryan Leslie..never ever heard of dude but It kinda reminded me of Frank Ocean and I listened to his album religiously (while yelling "I'm about to drive to the ocean" out of the car) my top 2 this year is already decided.
I really doubt anything can top this or Krits record.

I downloaded every mixtape from HiRes' roundup. Can't complain about having nothing to listen to now! Thanks hires
Today 01:36 PM

Sheeeeeeeit..completely forgot I wanted to do that too. Thanks for reminding me.

Recon

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
Finally bought Apollo Kids and Chico Dusty, they were only 5€ brand new on amazon..

Not the biggest GFK fan (like every other member in the Clan his album are so goddamn inconsistent, for one of the supposedly best groups in rap they sure put out a lot of awful solo records) but the production sounded (when I previewed it) so brilliantly soulful..

Also bought an album from some Ryan Leslie..never ever heard of dude but It kinda reminded me of Frank Ocean and I listened to his album religiously (while yelling "I'm about to drive to the ocean" out of the car) my top 2 this year is already decided.
I really doubt anything can top this or Krits record.

Sheeeeeeeit..completely forgot I wanted to do that too. Thanks for reminding me.

Ghost is one, if not the most, consistent rapper out there with albums. Every album is quality.

PBY

Banned
I'm ehhh on Oddfuture, they strike me as gimmicky, but there are a few decent tracks on Goblin...

Also, everyone should check out North Korean BBQ, such a great mixtape

Jay Sosa

ReconYoda said:
Ghost is one, if not the most, consistent rapper out there with albums. Every album is quality.

Well we agree to disagree then, I only like Iron Man and Fishscale and even that not entirely.

Most consistent imho is definitely Ace, even though Arts and Entertainment wasn't that good but I blame that entirerly on ED OG.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, so I'm just gonna say a couple quick things about the Aesop/Rob Sonic/DJ Big Whiz 'Are You Gonna Eat That?' album to the few that might be interested:

142x142_hmm_cover_900.jpg

If you can get over the fact that it's a rap group comprised of 3 fat, white guys that resemble WoW addicts more than your idealized, stereotypical rappers; Mallon is some undeniably ill shit.

Production is synth/bass heavy and quite varied. Aesop and Rob kill it, lyrics wise, with varied deliveries and subject matter. Whiz is a scratch God. Still trying to break down the theme of the album - a lot of the song titles remain beneath the umbrella of kitchen/food/dining icons and symbols:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_Mary

That's why.

Only problem I have with 'Hail Mary Mallon" as a group, is that Rob Sonic has become an Aesop stan over the years, it seems (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he never seemed this obtuse in the past). Their styles have become so similar, they don't compliment each other at all. Even though I like Sonic, I often want him to shutup so I can hear Aesop rap.

Basically, I just want an Aesop album because I'm an Aesop stan. But this is definitely the next best thing. Aesop's ability to allow his multisyllabic enjambment to ride a beat gets better and better. This is just 3 dudes trying to make a fun album.

Despite the excellent production, if you hate Aesop/Rob Sonic/ fat, bearded guys that rap, this album won't win you over.

Couple of my favorite tracks:

'Garfield'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPlv0jAhBkQ

'Meter Feeder'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7BHpzdZLM&feature=related

'Plagues and Bacon'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uwp8m-6jmo

*Cot damn this is way longer than I wanted*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom