• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

I sometimes have to wonder if some MCs are deaf. Just listening to "Starkology" that has to one of the most annoying beats I've heard in a long time. I mean the basic beat is kinda nice but who came up with the genius idea to have a feature from R2D2 on this track?

Overall the album is ok..glad I didn't pay more than 5€. Why does GFK always have like a million people on his albums?

Oh god..I just read the back cover..Jim fucking Jones? Are you kidding me?

Anyone have any suggestion for Aesop Rock album/tape I should check out? Liked what I've heard so far but have no idea where to start between all his releases.

Kimosabae

Banned
FilthyLies said:
Anyone have any suggestion for Aesop Rock album/tape I should check out? Liked what I've heard so far but have no idea where to start between all his releases.

I envy you.

His most digestible album is his 2007 "None Shall Pass". The album focuses more on production and Ace settling into his niche as an obtuse emcee, growing older (this is the album, thematically).

His fan favorites are 'Float' and 'Labor Days'. Float is his independent label, introspective debut album and a must listen. Labor Days is more extrospective, Marxian-style social commentary (in Aesop's own, obtuse fashion) and is also required listening.

That's where you should start. Dude has a discography that spans 11 years. 4 albums, 3 EPs, 1 collabo album and numerous side projects in regards to rapping and production (imo, he's quickly becoming one of the best beat makers in the genre. Check Felt 3). If you end up liking him; you've got a ton of music on your plate.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
FilthyLies said:
Labor Days and the Daylight EP is the best place to start.

Double D

Kimosabe, thanks for doing that. If I had the motivation to type up a HMM post, it would read extremely similar (Aes stan and all).

Also, FilthyLies - 'Float' is probably the best place to start. Just go chronological after that. I adore Float and Labor Days, and was disappointed with Bazooka Tooth when I first heard it, but have since come around and some of those tracks are some of my favorite Aes songs.

If you're still trucking after all that, you can find his earlier stuff, Appleseed and Music for Earthworms.

Edit: Aes fans unite!!

kamspy

FilthyLies said:

I can tell you where not to start. Bazooka Tooth. I'd heard of Aes. Was at a record store (yeah, old as fuck) and didn't really have anything to buy, so I was shopping. Saw Bazooka Tooth and decided, hey, this guy wears a backpack, I'm an advanced hip hopper these days, gonna try it out. Well, the thing is fucking unlistenable. And I'm forever disenchanted to his music. Maybe I wouldn't have liked any of it. I dunno.

If you want to get into that stream of conscious crazy rap, I'd steer to towards Kool Kieth's album, Dr. Octagon.

EDIt: Aes fans suck it! ;)

Kimosabae

Banned
Old men, suck it!

Bazooka Tooth is good, it's definitely the weakest link, but I think you have to be an Aesop fan to appreciate what he's attempting with the album. Basically, None Shall Pass is what Bazooka should have been.

Jay Sosa

kamspy said:
I can tell you where not to start. Bazooka Tooth. I'd heard of Aes. Was at a record store (yeah, old as fuck) and didn't really have anything to buy, so I was shopping. Saw Bazooka Tooth and decided, hey, this guy wears a backpack, I'm an advanced hip hopper these days, gonna try it out. Well, the thing is fucking unlistenable. And I'm forever disenchanted to his music. Maybe I wouldn't have liked any of it. I dunno.

If you want to get into that stream of conscious crazy rap, I'd steer to towards Kool Kieth's album, Dr. Octagon.

EDIt: Aes fans suck it! ;)

Substitute Bazooka Tooth with Fast cars and something and this post could be mine.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
peterb0y said:
I'm ehhh on Oddfuture, they strike me as gimmicky, but there are a few decent tracks on Goblin...

Also, everyone should check out North Korean BBQ, such a great mixtape

You actually like NK BBQ? I posted a little while back, I was wicked dissapointed. Really piss poor sound quality, the hooks are downright awful, the production is uninspired and boring, and Mac spends the entire time talking about his ex. It's the same damn song over and over. I am a Mac Lethal fan and was really disappointed because I know he can do so much better.

Also, just bought Hail Mary Mallon. I knew I'd be picking it up eventually but since it's my birthday and I got a little birthday money I figured nows the time.

siddx

K, first listen through, Hail Mary Mallon is fucking great. Production is nuts, whole album reminds me of why I became a Aesop fan in the first place.

Also on a semi related note (also Rhymesayers release) Grieves' album Together/Apart may be my most anticipated album of the year. Everything I've heard so far is phenomenal and the exact kind of hip hop I love.

Jay Sosa said:
I sometimes have to wonder if some MCs are deaf. Just listening to "Starkology" that has to one of the most annoying beats I've heard in a long time. I mean the basic beat is kinda nice but who came up with the genius idea to have a feature from R2D2 on this track?

Overall the album is ok..glad I didn't pay more than 5€. Why does GFK always have like a million people on his albums?

Oh god..I just read the back cover..Jim fucking Jones? Are you kidding me?

I lost it there. Hahahahahaaaaa.

I never noticed those sounds until now. Now I'll never be able to hear past them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
Whoever wins, we lose. =[
It could've been worse. It could've been Luger up there.

And that's what Alex Da Kid looks like? I even like his sound but I want to punch him in the face right there.

Detox

kamspy said:
Whoever wins, we lose. =[
Don't worry all that negativity will be mitigated by the DJ Premier vs Pete Rock album. They better go on tour together for that album, the Nas is like mix was dope.

I have no idea why I haven't heard of Grieves until now but just this track sold me on him. So where do I start with Grieves? I can't find anything about him.

DominoKid

TheOddOne said:

Boi-1da by far. He actually has style. fuck ADK and his interchangeable songs.

Drake - Forever, City Is Mine, Replacement Girl, Dont U Have A Man, Still Fly, Uptown
Smoke DZA - Ralph Lifshitz
Birdman - Mo Milli, 4 My Town
Big Boi - Lookin 4 Ya
Bun B - Put It Down, Been A Pleasure
Das Racist - hahahaha jk
etc.

siddx

Detox said:
Don't worry all that negativity will be mitigated by the DJ Premier vs Pete Rock album. They better go on tour together for that album, the Nas is like mix was dope.

I have no idea why I haven't heard of Grieves until now but just this track sold me on him. So where do I start with Grieves? I can't find anything about him.

He has an album called 88 keys and counting released a few years ago
He also had a 10 track EP last year called The Confessions of Mr.Modest
His new album comes out in June and the first two singles are
Lightspeed
Blood Poetry

It's all fantastic, get it.

Blood Poetry is especially sick. I like that he is one ugly motherfucker that you would never expect to be a dope ass rapper.

Detox

I just bought Grieve's entire discography. I have no idea how I have never heard of him before. I don't know if you forgot siddx or if it is generally not good but he also has an album called irreversible and judging from the itunes preview it sounds really good.

siddx

Detox said:
I just bought Grieve's entire discography. I have no idea how I have never heard of him before. I don't know if you forgot siddx or if it is generally not good but he also has an album called irreversible and judging from the itunes preview it sounds really good.

Ah yeah, I was rushing to post a response and totally forgot it.

Yeah I only got clued into him a few months ago and with his album coming out relatively soon I just started going back to his older catalog. He has been pretty low key over the years so its understandable most people haven't heard of him, but he seems to be getting a big push from Rhymesayers right now.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Killer Mike/Mike Bigga's mixtape just dropped.

62798_ha1m0iqm093gq_al.jpg

http://livemixtap.es/bangx3 and all the regular spots.

9 tracks featuring T.I., Big Boi, and Young Jeezy

dskillzhtown

kamorra said:
umm, that's not the Big Mike from the Geto Boys right?

DAMMIT! Trying to work and post at the same time.

Last I heard Big Mike from Rap-A-Lot was in jail and coked out.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
dskillzhtown said:
DAMMIT! Trying to work and post at the same time.

Last I heard Big Mike from Rap-A-Lot was in jail and coked out.

Oh, shit. Really? So Scarface and Willie D are both in jail and Bushwick faces possible deportation. Now Big Mike is in jail too? What kind of curse is this?

dskillzhtown

kamorra said:
Oh, shit. Really? So Scarface and Willie D are both in jail and Bushwick faces possible deportation. Now Big Mike is in jail too? What kind of curse is this?

That was years ago when I heard about Big Mike. He was outside some club in Louisiana high as a kite, naked as a baby, dancing. They found dope in his clothes that were on the ground and he went straight to jail.

Seems like he is out now, he put something out in 2009 -

http://www.hiphoprx.com/2009/02/13/...le-animals-feat-rick-ross-and-producer-chops/

dskillzhtown

Master Milk said:
It's called being Black in America.

No, it's called being famous as hell and being broke as a joke because you signed a terrible contract. All of their problems are with money. It has been known for over 2 decades that signing to Rap-A-Lot means you won't make any money. J Prince is going to screw you for every penny he can. Which makes me wonder how Bun B's money situation is at the moment.

exarkun

Dling the Killer Mike tape right now. People never talk about him, but I think he does well for the type of market that he goes after. Better than most actually. Both him and TI do their best then they are on each other's tracks, like that about them alot.

DominoKid

Acid08 said:
Does anyone actually really like Mike G or Domo Genesis? They seem like such superfluous members of Odd Future.

Mike G is cool for guest appearances. His mixtape is aight.

Domo Genesis is so chill though. I cant wait for his next mixtape. Rolling Papers was dope.
Drunk, Basic Bitch, Rolling Papers and Super Market are some on my favorite OF songs.

AntiTout

I don't know as much as you all about this today's garbage hip-hop, but this is the kind of Ace shit I like: Good Ol' Love , please can you share the same kind of HH (if it's still exists, I'm sure there is). Thanks. ;)

HiResDes

roosters93 said:
I downloaded every mixtape from HiRes' roundup. Can't complain about having nothing to listen to now! Thanks hires
I don't recommend doing that or you'll end up unhappy, definitely heed to the descriptions and don't download anything that you don't think will be within your cup of tea.

Jay Sosa

AntiTout said:
I don't know as much as you all about this today's garbage hip-hop, but this is the kind of Ace shit I like: Good Ol' Love , please can you share the same kind of HH (if it's still exists, I'm sure there is). Thanks. ;)

Just be glad I'm no mod.

I don't recommend doing that or you'll end up unhappy, definitely heed to the descriptions and don't download anything that you don't think will be within your cup of tea.

Eh..the only mixtape you posted I regret dl and listening to was this Young L "Domo Kun" tape. God was that awful. Sou you're like 1076 for 1077. Maybe that's because you seem to like a lot of stuff I like too especially when it comes to the new guys in rap like Quest or K.Dot.

Speaking of Mr. Lamar, today I listened to the entire KL EP for the first time while chilling in my garden and I just love that track:

Let me be me

And I love the line on the album where he talks about being afraid that his clutch goes out when he's driving..THAT'S something I can relate too :)

And I just saw this:

Kendrick Lamar x RZA In The Lab

rofl at the guy on the left...

TheOddOne

exarkun said:
Dling the Killer Mike tape right now. People never talk about him, but I think he does well for the type of market that he goes after. Better than most actually. Both him and TI do their best then they are on each other's tracks, like that about them alot.
I Pledge Allegiance to the Grind I and II are fantastic.

Tokubetsu

TheOddOne said:
I Pledge Allegiance to the Grind I and II are fantastic.

Pledge 2 was one of my most listened albums of 08. Crazy that he just gave it away for free. Funny thing with Mike is that I can't even remember how I got into him. I just started listening to him one day.

TheOddOne

Tokubetsu said:
Pledge 2 was one of my most listened albums of 08. Crazy that he just gave it away for free. Funny thing with Mike is that I can't even remember how I got into him. I just started listening to him one day.
I remembered him from a Outkast song. Heard Pledge 1 and was like WHOA, this dude can spit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom