• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know it's an older song and would be old, but I'm hooked on the song All Summer.

I think I originally dismissed it because I sort of was meh about Best Coast at 1st, but I kind of warmed up to them. I really love Kid Cudi on this track though!

All Summer Video!

I gotta admit while I was hyped for Cudi's 1st album, and I enjoyed it. I never really spun it that much post release window. I think I've actually been more into him as of late with all his stuff coming out over the past few months be it stuff I assume is from the new album or tracks such as this. It makes me hyped for the new album drop this year!

see5harp

Tokubetsu said:
Or maybe, it's because everyone involved in "urban" culture in the 90s were wearing Fubu, Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger. If you were black, listened to rap and above the age of 6 in the 90s, you probably owned some Tommy or Fubu gear.

Seriously listen to the album. It could be a drinking game. You could polish off a bottle of Jim Beam on a single play. My Mom didn't buy me any Tommy Hilfiger but I did rock the shit out of Polo Sport.

I know both of these have been mentioned already but I just wanted to say that the Kno single is INCREDIBLE and I expect big things from the album. Secondly, the new Atmosphere EP's are great too. I was a little wary at first because the two leaked songs had a similar vibe, but the songs definitely maintain the uniqueness I've come to expect through out the EP.

Also, if you pre-order the deluxe edition of Kno's album on www.qn5.com you get all kinds of album-related swag.

I was a bit worried about Atmosphere's EP after the first two singles but after listening to it holy shit I'm so glad Ant and Slug are still Ant and Slug. They keep getting better. Can't wait for their next full length.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I knew there was something in this thread I wanted to listen to, and forgot. It was that Kno. So far so good with this one! Definitely gonna keep it on my radar!

That new Kno is NICE. I hope I like his his album even half as much as I love A Piece of Strange, which is a modern day classic IMO.

EDIT: Just because of my comment, I listened to A Piece Of Strange again and damn, what a fantastic album. I just never get tired of it. Really feels timeless.

Tokubetsu

Net_Wrecker said:
That new Kno is NICE. I hope I like his his album even half as much as I love A Piece of Strange, which is a modern day classic IMO.

EDIT: Just because of my comment, I listened to A Piece Of Strange again and damn, what a fantastic album. I just never get tired of it. Really feels timeless.

Yea, I don't mean to hype it up but Kno's production is just...on another level. It's kinda like Ant now. Ant uses live instruments now but Kno is somehow able to capture that sound with samples. It's fucking ridiculous. His shit is so good, it's subtle. He doesn't need to hit you over the head with it. Everynow and then I'll find a sample Kno used and it'll be like Christmas figuring out how he flipped it.

HiResDes said:
Skyzoo - Roc Marciano, Jream, JD Era, St Joe Louis (Good Morning = Incredible), Sha Stimuli

Not trying to be negative or unappreciative of your list, but I'm curious how you get those two from Skyzoo? JD Era is on the complete other side of the spectrum from my perspective. Comparing Era's lyrical content, style and delivery, it's far different, same with Marciano. However, Sha Stimuli is a very accurate comparison.

When I think of Skyzoo, I immediately think: Cormega.

Brettison said:
I know it's an older song and would be old, but I'm hooked on the song All Summer.

I think I originally dismissed it because I sort of was meh about Best Coast at 1st, but I kind of warmed up to them. I really love Kid Cudi on this track though!

All Summer Video!

I gotta admit while I was hyped for Cudi's 1st album, and I enjoyed it. I never really spun it that much post release window. I think I've actually been more into him as of late with all his stuff coming out over the past few months be it stuff I assume is from the new album or tracks such as this. It makes me hyped for the new album drop this year!
I fell in love with this when I first heard it, too.

HiResDes

Devil Theory said:
Not trying to be negative or unappreciative of your list, but I'm curious how you get those two from Skyzoo? JD Era is on the complete other side of the spectrum from my perspective. Comparing Era's lyrical content, style and delivery, it's far different, same with Marciano. However, Sha Stimuli is a very accurate comparison.

When I think of Skyzoo, I immediately think: Cormega.
JD Era/Sha Stimuli/Skyzoo - All Heavily Influenced By Jay-Z
Skyzoo/Roc Marciano - Cormega- Like Delivery
St Joe Louis - Skyzoo ft. on many of the songs, plus the members all share a similar style IMO.

Kimosabae

Banned
I am so giddy right now...

G4CD0050_QwelandMaker_Owl_web.jpg

This releases on the 14th.

Yay.

mileS

anyone read the Lupe Fiasco interview with Complex? He used to be one of my favorites but lately he's being a little bitch about the odd song leaking here and there. If you don't release an album within the next 6 months I'm done.. I don't care how good it might be I'm not waiting for you to grow a pair Lupe.

mileS said:
anyone read the Lupe Fiasco interview with Complex? He used to be one of my favorites but lately he's being a little bitch about the odd song leaking here and there. If you don't release an album within the next 6 months I'm done.. I don't care how good it might be I'm not waiting for you to grow a pair Lupe.
agreed. ioono wtf happpened to him but his two albums were favorites of mine. thank god for j cole

SoulPlaya

more money than God
dope4goldrope said:
I see you like a bunch of Rhymesayers artists, then you have to give Eyedea a shot. He's amazing.

edit: Joe Budden is also an incredible lyricist, his music often has a lot of problems with sound quality and whatnot but I have to admit he's capable of making a Denzel Washington-esque tear stroll down my face.

All of Me
Walk With Me
So Long, Goodbye
If I Die Tomorrow
Whatever It Takes
10 Minutes
Rest In Peace
Without question, Joey is my favorite rapper right now, simply because of the emotion he can inspire out of me.

HiResDes

Just listened to this, and thought it was quite decent...If you like West-Coast rappers with laid back styles check this out:

alextop.png

alextrack.png

1. He Said She Said
2. Our Time
3. Hella
4. Shades On feat. J-Billion & Casey Veggies
5. Ashes
6. We On
7. Beautiful or Bust
8. Frisco What Up feat. Jay Ughh
9. Blue Champagne feat. Young Murph (produced by Lou Koo)
10. Godspeed feat. Jams F. Kennedy
11. So I’m Cool feat. Young Murph
12. Slow It Down feat. Brian DaMert of Mata Léon

DL LINK

RPS37

HiResDes said:
Really your library already looks fairly robust. You definitely seem to have very refined tastes, and therefore I tried to generate this list quite meticulously.

In bold are the artists that you already have, and in italics are artists that I find similar

Skyzoo - Roc Marciano, Jream, JD Era, St Joe Louis (Good Morning = Incredible), Sha Stimuli
Blu - Sene,Blame One, Tanya Morgan, Versis (Basically they are the same person lol), ScienZe (might as well be Blu's protege),Danny!, Charles Hamilton (You'll either love him or hate him)
Nujabes - Bias, Afro Butterfly, J. Dilla, DJ Mark Farina, Madlib, Birdy Nam Nam, Emancipator, DJ Krush, Tsutchie, Bonobo
Blackmilk - Elzhi, Jake One, Grieves, Grynch, Strong Arm Steady
Lupe Fiasco - Add -2, Quest, Skewby, (My favorite right now probably),
Shad - Apollo Brown, SkuF'L, The Illz
Fashawn - U-N-I(A Love Supreme is flawless), Ayomari, TiRon, Freddie Gibbs (Is More Like Mixtape Fashawn)
Jedi Mind Tricks - Slaughterhouse, Vordul Mega, Cannibal Ox, Vinne Paz
J. Cole - Nero, Chiddy Bang, Phil Ade,Laws
MF Doom - MF Grimm, Asher Roth (Random Abstractness)
Aesop Rock - Qwel/Typical Cats, Wrekonize, Louis Logic, Picaso, Grouch & Eligh
Oddisee - X.O.
Nickelus F - Afu-Ra, Von Pea
Knaan - K-Os, K-Salaam & Beatnick
PackFm - K. Sparks, KidA, Emilio Rojas
DJ Honda - Melo-X, DJ K.O., Cookin Soul
Zion I - Planet Asia

...Man that was pretty exhausting.

Hires.

You're fucking awesome.

harSon

Banned
RPS37 said:
Hires.

You're fucking awesome.

Oh yeah, definitely. Thanks for taking the time to make me such an expansive list, forgot to give my thanks before hand. That goes for everyone else who pitched in with the recommendations.

Ashhong

Heres a strange question, anybody know what happened with Farnsworth Bentley and GOOD Music? He had a few verses on a mixtape or something, but I havent heard anything lately. I really liked his flow too

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
mileS said:
The reasons he gave for not doing mixtapes slash putting out albums was some real, serious bullshit. Dude is too self-important.

I'm off the wagon.

Tokubetsu

hie said:
Anyone going to this? I'll be at the Seattle show...

dzdu95.jpg

I want to make it to the Tampa date but realistically? I probably wont. Same with the Curren$y show. Life situation just isn't in a place where I'd want it to be to travel a couple hours to a show =/

HiResDes

Initial Impressions...Mediocre. I'm thinking about deleting it right now, and waiting for the no-dj release to really give it a proper listen. Maybe all this talk about disposable rap has gotten into my head. Deleted.

RPS37

I think when I posted that DatPiff link...the show mightve already been over...lmao

Fuggin East Coast/West Coast BS.

HiResDes said:
Initial Impressions...Mediocre. I'm thinking about deleting it right now, and waiting for the no-dj release to really give it a proper listen. Maybe all this talk about disposable rap has gotten into my head. Deleted.

Sarcasm lol?

Haven't listened yet. Didn't really like his last mixtape that much. Kinda curious on what Warner Bros will do with him, and Blu for that matter.

Linkhero1

HiResDes said:
Is it really that bad? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom