• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShinobiFist said:
They started working on it since last year. It should be out by early next year.

Thought they've been working on it for a couple years, but made progress this year with DOOM finally finishing his verses. Either way I'm excited.

The most recent leak, a snippet of Travis 911, sounds alright. Pretty hard to find though - whenever I google it I see less references. I think ST shitcanned their own forum to halt the leak lol

IrishNinja

ShinobiFist said:
They started working on it since last year. It should be out by early next year.

as amazing as 2010 has been, i can say that if this + Liquid Swords 2 open up next year, 2011 is gonna be like my new '93.

PhoenixDark said:
Thought they've been working on it for a couple years, but made progress this year with DOOM finally finishing his verses. Either way I'm excited.

The most recent leak, a snippet of Travis 911, sounds alright. Pretty hard to find though - whenever I google it I see less references. I think ST shitcanned their own forum to halt the leak lol
Technically, they've been working on it for a couple of years. But finally got a theme going last year and a lot of tracks were reproduce.

BTW, awesome fan-made vid of "The Mask" from the Danger DOOM album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQakz9-kvfI

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
Potential New J.Cole FreEP or mixtape soon?

JM97C.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSS

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
IrishNinja said:
as amazing as 2010 has been, i can say that if this + Liquid Swords 2 open up next year, 2011 is gonna be like my new '93.
But how good can LS2 be, without a '93 minded RZA's beats?

I mean, I hope he finds his classic form, but I have a lot of doubts.

K.Jack said:

Not only that, GZA hasn't sounded particularly great recently either. He was never an uber hype sounding rapper, but there's just no energy in his voice throughout his last album. I'm not expecting much from this. More excited about Rae's next album, dropping either this year or next year

stuff I'm still hoping for this year

-next Blu and Exile album
-anything else from Blu (solo album, Johnson&Johnson)
-J Cole's album
-new Y Society album
-ADaD's album with Exile
-Johaz's album with Exile
-new Blame One album
-Kanye West album
Jay Electronica - Act II....lol

soultron

Banned
Cunninlynguists-Dirty_Acres_b.jpg

Just started listening to this. I love both "versions" of CunninLynguists, the young fierce version, and the modern-day though-provoking version. I mean this in that I love A Piece of Strange and am really digging Dirty Acres, but I'm always left yearning for that early CunninLynguists sound at the same time.

So, is there any group/duo/etc. that sounds like CLs did back on Will Rap For Food and Southernundergound?

JEKKI

soultron

Banned
JEKKI said:
CL are rather unique, which is what makes them awesome. u wont really find a group like them,

but QN5 in general always tends to put out top tier music. u should definitely check out Pack FM - I Fucking Hate Rappers which came out this year.
Kno on The Support Group, "I make beats!" :lol

It's not quite my style from listening to the previews, but damn, songs like Tough Talk are unreal. I'll pick it up anyway.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
PhoenixDark said:
Not only that, GZA hasn't sounded particularly great recently either. He was never an uber hype sounding rapper, but there's just no energy in his voice throughout his last album. I'm not expecting much from this. More excited about Rae's next album, dropping either this year or next year

GZA's been sounding straight bored off his ass, for like the last two years. Last time he had a lick of energy (off the top of my head), was what Ras Kass pulled out of him on the Think Differently album.

MMaRsu

PhoenixDark said:

-J Cole's album
-new Y Society album
-ADaD's album with Exile
-new Blame One album
-Kanye West album

Good stuff on the way indeed <3

PhoenixDark said:

-J Cole's album
-new Y Society album
-ADaD's album with Exile
-new Blame One album
-Kanye West album

lol @ Jay Elect. Also new Kid Cudi album.

harSon

Banned
soultron said:
Cunninlynguists-Dirty_Acres_b.jpg

Just started listening to this. I love both "versions" of CunninLynguists, the young fierce version, and the modern-day though-provoking version. I mean this in that I love A Piece of Strange and am really digging Dirty Acres, but I'm always left yearning for that early CunninLynguists sound at the same time.

So, is there any group/duo/etc. that sounds like CLs did back on Will Rap For Food and Southernundergound?

You've probably listened to them but Cyne is quite similar and equally prolific.

The M.O.B

Vizzy Zone!

Tracklist

1. Theme To Vizzy Zone (produced by Seven)
2. The Flying V (produced by Seven)
3. Tunnel Vision (produced by Omen)
4. Gettin' Bizzy (produced by Seven)
5. We Zonin' (produced by Seven)
6. Reset Button ft. Talib Kweli (produced by Woody)
7. Nevermind (produced by Seven)
8. She Go, I Go ft. Chiddy Bang (produced by Seven)
9. Falling Awake (produced by Omen)
10. Mirror's Edge ft. Mike Posner (produced by Seven)
11. Vizzy Zone ft. Kid CuDi (produced by Emile)
12. Passport (produced by Woody)
13. Isn't It Awesome (produced by Woody)
14. May The Force Be With You ft. Killer Mike & Mac Miller (produced by Seven)
15. Familiar (produced by Seven)
16. Best Is Yet To Come ft. Colin Munroe (produced by Colin Munroe)
17. Ending Credits (Interlude)
18. Talk My Shit (produced by The Awesome Sound)
BONUS: Mirror's Edge (Remix) ft. Bun B, GLC & Mike Posner

Coming September 9th!

The M.O.B said:
Vizzy Zone!

Tracklist

1. Theme To Vizzy Zone (produced by Seven)
2. The Flying V (produced by Seven)
3. Tunnel Vision (produced by Omen)
4. Gettin' Bizzy (produced by Seven)
5. We Zonin' (produced by Seven)
6. Reset Button ft. Talib Kweli (produced by Woody)
7. Nevermind (produced by Seven)
8. She Go, I Go ft. Chiddy Bang (produced by Seven)
9. Falling Awake (produced by Omen)
10. Mirror's Edge ft. Mike Posner (produced by Seven)
11. Vizzy Zone ft. Kid CuDi (produced by Emile)
12. Passport (produced by Woody)
13. Isn't It Awesome (produced by Woody)
14. May The Force Be With You ft. Killer Mike & Mac Miller (produced by Seven)
15. Familiar (produced by Seven)
16. Best Is Yet To Come ft. Colin Munroe (produced by Colin Munroe)
17. Ending Credits (Interlude)
18. Talk My Shit (produced by The Awesome Sound)
BONUS: Mirror's Edge (Remix) ft. Bun B, GLC & Mike Posner

Coming September 9th!
Two days. Looks pretty cool.

IrishNinja

K.Jack said:

@ this and the GZA comment: yeah, both are true. i'm hopeful between a) live shit (still sad Rock The Bells passed us by, but it looked grand), and b) Tao of Wu just made me feel RZA's in a place to either channel some of that '93 magic or get it together in another direction.
i mean, you read how he wanted to go really out there with some Space Opera shit that supposedly the clan wasn't down for? 8 diagrams was like a mismatch of styles/ideas that i appreciate what was behind it but the execution fell apart, mostly. kinda why i wanted to see that alleged wu vs the abbot project..rae's not the only one who can channel some energy when he wants.

but that said, GZA may've been live on group albums, but listening to liquid swords & beneath the surface again recently, while not bored/monotone, he's never really struck me as being mad passionate like say starks. i wanted to like D.A.R.T.S. and pro tools more than i have so far, but you can't go naming some shit part 2 and not come with it; Raekwon knew that and stepped up from his lex diamonds bullshit. without picking any fights with my fellow wu-heads here, i think GZA > Rae any day of the week, so i'm hopeful here.

that said, i'm not expecting LS1 or OB4CL2 either, so that might be helping. :lol

Jay Elect, Blu, id be down for stuff here as well. trying to think what else...i guess holding out for new tribe/even q-tip shit might be done at this point, id be happy just to see him do shit with slum village again. oh yeah, is that talk about a Nas/Primo album done with? i argue this all the time with my boy, but he doesn't have an ear for production most times, and i haven't felt it was "on" for him since like stillmatic/half of god's son.

also, fucka Detox, for real.

Kimosabae said:
I'm curious as to what it is you find strange regarding his delivery. If you don't mind elaborating..

It's not a particular thing I can explain, as if there is a large and unnerving negative aspect that I could focus on, simply a combination of his voice, speed, volume, and variety (or lack thereof) made it rather difficult for me to really get into his music at first. I would come across his album several times and progressively become more attuned to it and enjoy it a little each more, instead of just right off the bat saying "this is great."

Hey guys, I've known about this artist John Regan and I feel obliged to share now that his first single has been released. I've known about him for some time but he's finally gearing up to release his album on October 12th. Give his stuff a listen, I guarantee you'll come away impressed.

John Regan ft. Pack FM - Paint the World (prod. YZ)

You can also listen to the two bonus songs from the album here.

Tracklist and snippets for his debut album releasing October 12th titled 'Sorry I'm Late'.
Sorry I'm Late (YZ)
Air (YZ)
Yesterday ft. Joell Ortiz (YZ)
She Loves Me...Not (Dub B)
Nobody's Somebody (88-Keys & Nottz)
All I Got ft. Marsha Ambrosius (YZ)
Paint the World ft. PackFM (YZ)
She & H.E.R. (Needlz)
9:57 (YZ)
Suicide ediciuS (Needlz)
Heaven ft. Skyzoo (YZ)
Stars (Needlz)

* Bonus Tracks
Devil's Eye ft. Ill Bill (YZ)
Up There with You ft. Sha Stimuli & Naledge (YZ)

harSon

Banned
Found some new stuff I liked while searching yesterday:

DJ Mitsu The Beats
re:plus
Skyzoo
Dela
Fashawn
Blackmilk
DJ Deckstream
Reks
Packfm
Kooley High

Artists already on my MP3 Player:

Aesop Rock
Asheru
Atmosphere
The Beat Junkies
Binary Star
BK-One
Blackmoon
Black Star
Blu (Blu and Exile, Johnson and Johnson)
Blue Scholars
Cradle Orchestra
Cunninlynguists
Cyne
Damu the Fudgemunk
Deltron/Del the Funkee Homosapian
DJ Honda
DJ Tonk
Edan
Mf Doom
Gang Starr
Group Home
Guru
Hieroglyphics
Himuki
Immortal Technique
Inverse
J. Cole
J. Period
Jay Electronica
Jazz Addixx
Jazz Liberatorz
Jedi Mind Tricks
Jeru the Damaja
Kenn Starr
Knaan
Living Legends
Lupe Fiasco
Nickelus F
Nomak
Nujabes
Oddisee
Panacea
People Under the Stairs
The Procussions
Shad
Shin-Ski/Shinsight Trio
Sound Providers
Strange Fruit Project
Tonedeff
Y Society
Blacroc
Zion I

Would appreciate if someone could fill in some blanks that are similar to what's posted above.

harSon said:
Found some new stuff I liked while searching yesterday:

Would appreciate if someone could fill in some blanks that are similar to what's posted above.

I'm sure you've already heard of some of these guys, but I'll still recommend:

El-P
Rob Sonic
Murs
Brother Ali
The Illz (Free albums posted earlier)
Louis Logic (especially Misery Loves Comedy)
P.O.S.

harSon

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I'm sure you've already heard of some of these guys, but I'll still recommend:

El-P
Rob Sonic
Murs
Brother Ali
The Illz (Free albums posted earlier)
Louis Logic (especially Misery Loves Comedy)
P.O.S.

I know the bolded and will have a listen to the rest.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Tkawsome said:
The new Atmosphere album dropped today

Anybody check it out yet?

Just bought it, only gave it a once through but I am loving it so far

see5harp

You should revisit Only Built 4 Cuban Linx so you can laugh every time Rae says "Tommy Hill niggas." Dude was obsessed with dressing like an old white man.

Tokubetsu

see5harp said:
You should revisit Only Built 4 Cuban Linx so you can laugh every time Rae says "Tommy Hill niggas." Dude was obsessed with dressing like an old white man.

Or maybe, it's because everyone involved in "urban" culture in the 90s were wearing Fubu, Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger. If you were black, listened to rap and above the age of 6 in the 90s, you probably owned some Tommy or Fubu gear.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
siddx said:
Just bought it, only gave it a once through but I am loving it so far

I correct myself, this album is balls out awesome. "The number none" is on repeat. "Scalp" is dope as fuck too. "The Best Day" "The Major Leagues" "americareful" "The Loser Wins"...Hell the whole thing is fantastic.

Tokubetsu said:
Or maybe, it's because everyone involved in "urban" culture in the 90s were wearing Fubu, Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger. If you were black, listened to rap and above the age of 6 in the 90s, you probably owned some Tommy or Fubu gear.

*Raises hand.* Guilty. Glad I dipped out of that wannabee gangsta phase of mine. But now ... I'm trapped in the hipster phase.

=( Damn it, Kid Cudi.

HiResDes

harSon said:
Fantastic artists

Really your library already looks fairly robust. You definitely seem to have very refined tastes, and therefore I tried to generate this list quite meticulously.

In bold are the artists that you already have, and in italics are artists that I find similar

Skyzoo - Roc Marciano, Jream, JD Era, St Joe Louis (Good Morning = Incredible), Sha Stimuli
Blu - Sene,Blame One, Tanya Morgan, Versis (Basically they are the same person lol), ScienZe (might as well be Blu's protege),Danny!, Charles Hamilton (You'll either love him or hate him)
Nujabes - Bias, Afro Butterfly, J. Dilla, DJ Mark Farina, Madlib, Birdy Nam Nam, Emancipator, DJ Krush, Tsutchie, Bonobo
Blackmilk - Elzhi, Jake One, Grieves, Grynch, Strong Arm Steady
Lupe Fiasco - Add -2, Quest, Skewby, (My favorite right now probably),
Shad - Apollo Brown, SkuF'L, The Illz
Fashawn - U-N-I(A Love Supreme is flawless), Ayomari, TiRon, Freddie Gibbs (Is More Like Mixtape Fashawn)
Jedi Mind Tricks - Slaughterhouse, Vordul Mega, Cannibal Ox, Vinne Paz
J. Cole - Nero, Chiddy Bang, Phil Ade,Laws
MF Doom - MF Grimm, Asher Roth (Random Abstractness)
Aesop Rock - Qwel/Typical Cats, Wrekonize, Louis Logic, Picaso, Grouch & Eligh
Oddisee - X.O.
Nickelus F - Afu-Ra, Von Pea
Knaan - K-Os, K-Salaam & Beatnick
PackFm - K. Sparks, KidA, Emilio Rojas
DJ Honda - Melo-X, DJ K.O., Cookin Soul
Zion I - Planet Asia

...Man that was pretty exhausting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom