• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
Sarcasm lol?

Haven't listened yet. Didn't really like his last mixtape that much. Kinda curious on what Warner Bros will do with him, and Blu for that matter.
No not being sarcastic sadly.

RPS37

Fuck it. I'm already starting to dig it. The first few songs basically bored me because they weren't new or were leaked a few weeks ago, but these last few actually NEW songs...

I'm loving Familiar...I just played Gears of War with him the other day...!

The M.O.B

Vizzy Zone is Solid!

I really wish he would "ride" the beat a little more if that makes sense. Because the production is great, I wish he would just chill on a couple of the songs.

Oh, and Mirror's Edge is definitely going to go to the Radio. He added a more up-tempo beat a put mike posner on it.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
Shouldn't take much convincing that you're a better person because of it.
All I can say is that that Vizzy Zone sounded like shit afterwards. I really don't know if I'll ever bother listening to it again. Especially with the slew of raw releases coming up. Rah Digga's Classic is going to eat up a lot of my time I have a feeling.

i have a weird thing that with every new XV tape I hate it at first then it grows on me then gets constant rotation, everything other then square in the circle and 40 days/nights when that was going

not sure iff this will be the same,after 2 listens there are at most 5 tracks that i want to listen to again...and im one of the biggest vizzy fans on this board and been a fan since complex experiment vol 2

ill give it another listen tomorrow night, but now its back to atmospheres eps

GodfatherX said:
i have a weird thing that with every new XV tape I hate it at first then it grows on me then gets constant rotation, everything other then square in the circle and 40 days/nights when that was going

not sure iff this will be the same,after 2 listens there are at most 5 tracks that i want to listen to again...and im one of the biggest vizzy fans on this board and been a fan since complex experiment vol 2

ill give it another listen tomorrow night, but now its back to atmospheres eps

lol, I used to suspect that you actually were XV

pistolpete2940 said:
lol, I used to suspect that you actually were XV

lmao I must admit I thought GodfatherX was some type of XV street team member lol. I remember him sending me some PMs ages ago about checking out XV, he's so cool, etc :lol

ain't mad though, XV is pretty damn good when he's on the ball

Grzi

HiResDes said:
Initial Impressions...Mediocre. I'm thinking about deleting it right now, and waiting for the no-dj release to really give it a proper listen. Maybe all this talk about disposable rap has gotten into my head. Deleted.

Isn't his the NODJ release? I haven't heard the DJ once since I started listening. :/

I'll wait a bit before I give my opinion, but yeah... :/

2010's been a great year. What are you guys' favorite albums so far?

For me its The Roots - How I Got Over. I feel like its one of their first albums that has maintained very high quality from start to finish as opposed to a few stand-out tracks. I haven't come across many other albums where I enjoy every track as much as I do on this release.

Following that I would probably say The Black Keys - Brothers, but its not hip-hop.

If we count EPs, Grieves' "Confessions of Mr. Modest" is definitely up there as well.

Tokubetsu

AosiU.jpg

JmOjE.jpg

Deadly Cyclone said:
Speaking of Lupe, where the fuck is that album?

Also, who else should I check out if I like J Cole, Lupe, Wale, etc?
Try Fashawn and Blu. As far as Lupe's album is concerned, I've given up hope, honestly. It won't get released anytime soon...

In the Rolling Stone interview he did yesterday, Rae said the album is coming out next year. Can't wait.

He's definitely looking like the smartest Wu member right now. CLII was well received, sold well, and made him relevant again. Now he's getting more tour invitations and mingling with more people. CLII is a damn good album, but the production was pretty thrown together: lots of recycled beats. Now Rae is hanging out with Kanye, 9th Wonder, etc.

Too bad it seems like Ghost has kinda given up. Fishscale was his CLII, but it didn't seem like he capitalized off it as well or smart as Rae has. Rae has 120,000+ followers on twitter, everything he does gets attention on hip hop blogs, etc. He's giving fans what they want, constantly keeping in touch with them, and keeping his name out there. Whereas Ghost sits around complaining that no one buys his albums.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
In the Rolling Stone interview he did yesterday, Rae said the album is coming out next year. Can't wait.

He's definitely looking like the smartest Wu member right now. CLII was well received, sold well, and made him relevant again. Now he's getting more tour invitations and mingling with more people. CLII is a damn good album, but the production was pretty thrown together: lots of recycled beats. Now Rae is hanging out with Kanye, 9th Wonder, etc.

Too bad it seems like Ghost has kinda given up. Fishscale was his CLII, but it didn't seem like he capitalized off it as well or smart as Rae has. Rae has 120,000+ followers on twitter, everything he does gets attention on hip hop blogs, etc. He's giving fans what they want, constantly keeping in touch with them, and keeping his name out there. Whereas Ghost sits around complaining that no one buys his albums.
"More Fishscale" doesn't seem like capitalization to you...Ghostface Killah already has made more quality albums than just about every lone MC in hip-hop/rap history...

HiResDes

Deadly Cyclone said:
Speaking of Lupe, where the fuck is that album?

Also, who else should I check out if I like J Cole, Lupe, Wale, etc?

HiResDes said:
Artists Like Lupe - Shad, SkuF'L, Skewby, Fashawn, Quest, Cobe Obeah, Add-2, Nero, B.O.B., STS, and Jay Electronica

Artists Like Wale - Laws, J. Ferb, Feroz, Ayomari, Tiron, Neako, Donnis, and Nickelus F

...Posted this a while ago.

HiResDes said:
"More Fishscale" doesn't seem like capitalization to you...Ghostface Killah already has made more quality albums than just about every lone MC in hip-hop/rap history...

Ghost is my favorite rapper, so I agree there. More Fish kinda goes to my point of him not capitalizing as smartly as Rae has. More Fish was basically a collection of b-sides and unreleased stuff. In a sense, Ghost has been trying to re-create Fishscale over and over again with worst production and guest spots. So many producers want to work with him, yet he uses the same boring soul sample producers stuck in 2002. He complains about money and doesn't put his name out there, tour a lot, etc.

Rae has gone in the complete opposite direction. Touring non-stop, creating relationships with producers, connecting with fans, etc. As a big Ghost fan I wish he'd go independent and just grind like that.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
Ghost is my favorite rapper, so I agree there. More Fish kinda goes to my point of him not capitalizing as smartly as Rae has. More Fish was basically a collection of b-sides and unreleased stuff. In a sense, Ghost has been trying to re-create Fishscale over and over again with worst production and guest spots. So many producers want to work with him, yet he uses the same boring soul sample producers stuck in 2002. He complains about money and doesn't put his name out there, tour a lot, etc.

Rae has gone in the complete opposite direction. Touring non-stop, creating relationships with producers, connecting with fans, etc. As a big Ghost fan I wish he'd go independent and just grind like that.
Hmm...you have a point. Though I thought The Big Doe Rehab was a fantastic album, now he after making his laid back soulful album for the ladies he needs to get back to the grimy shit...Hopefully with some new producers behind him. Think if he hooked up with a producer like El-P or Kno, holy shit.

HiResDes said:
Hmm...you have a point. Though I thought The Big Doe Rehab was a fantastic album, now he after making his laid back soulful album for the ladies he needs to get back to the grimy shit...Hopefully with some new producers behind him. Think if he hooked up with a producer like El-P or Kno, holy shit.

Yea I really liked BDR too. Unfortunately Ghost used the album's commercial failure as an excuse not to do anything else.

Production wise Ghost is like Nas in the sense that EVERYONE wants to work with him, but he never seems to get in the studio with them.

Tokubetsu

In a way, Rae has kinda stepped upt to RZA dictator levels haha. You can hear his influence all over War Report 2 and CnN benefit from it a LOT. He seems to be doing the samething with Wu Tang vs Shaolin (that is STILL a wu record just minus RZA right?)

RPS37

I really like Vizzy Zone now. :lol

Hires: A friend has been trying to get me into Immortal Technique for a while.
Is there anywhere where you would suggest I start?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
RPS37 said:

Anywhere, he is dope as fuck but comes across like a pissy little girl sometimes and I don't find much variety in his music.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ashhong said:
Heres a strange question, anybody know what happened with Farnsworth Bentley and GOOD Music? He had a few verses on a mixtape or something, but I havent heard anything lately. I really liked his flow too

You mean puffy's slave/umbrella holder?

I thought people got tired of his no talent ass and puffy put him back into the mcdonalds drive through window where he belongs.
Unless I'm thinking of someone else.

edit: in typical fashion, vizzy zone has great beat selection but I can't stand XV's voice. So damn obnoxiously generic.

HiResDes

RPS37 said:

Revolutionary Vol. 1, then Vol. 2 immediately if you like it. I would only advise checking out Immortal Technique if you like rappers like Vinnie Paz, Killah Priest, or Rass Kass. Although, I think I may like IT better than all of them.

The transition from someone like Vizzy to IT is day and night...Like bubblegum to glass shards.

edit: XV's voice sounds worse now on that tape to me. And I absolutely loved Everybody's Nobody instantly.

kamspy

G.O.O.D. mixtape is great.

GLC completely stole the show. Hope his album is half as good.

Also, I'm oddly in love with Wil'n cuz I'm Young. Probably the only person. :lol Just something about it.

HiResDes

I like Nipsey Hussle. I've heard four tracks off his upcoming album and the production is fucking amazing...Good rapper + great production = Solid album usually.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't even think the comparisons Hires is making are even fair to Technique. As far as socio-political insight in rap goes - Immortal Technique is in a class of his own. No one even comes close to matching his accuracy,poignancy, and passion when it comes to those issues. Tech should be on everyones playlist.

kamspy said:
G.O.O.D. mixtape is great.

GLC completely stole the show. Hope his album is half as good.

Also, I'm oddly in love with Wil'n cuz I'm Young. Probably the only person. :lol Just something about it.
Whylin Cuz I'm Young isn't so bad. I usually am a favorite of anything Cudi. So far the only track I don't like from Cudder was Enter Galactic on MOTM. I like the beat but I dunno, I just hate the track.

IrishNinja

Tokubetsu said:
He seems to be doing the samething with Wu Tang vs Shaolin (that is STILL a wu record just minus RZA right?)

which one was war report 2? and yeah, im hoping its still a Wu record. Deck, Golden arms etc still gotta eat.
Rae's not my favorite but yeah, i cant argue with CL2 as one of the best wu efforts in years. Ghost...Doe rehab was good, not as good for me as fish/more fish but at least a step up from ghostini, ugh.
nothing new on Liquid Swords 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom