• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

In terms of technique on the title track specifically there is so much to digest...The flow is simply uncanny, dare I say even beyond any Yelawolf track.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, damn good opener i gotta say.

The beat for high five is hyyyyyype. and yea, i already like this dude way more than a yelawolf.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
JackEtc said:
This best of collection is great. Possibly the best "Best Of" CD(s, there's two of them) I've heard, there's not one track I don't like in this collection, which isn't the case with a lot of "Best Of" CDs. I am LOVING Hits From the Bong, and Break 'Em Off Some.

I am listening to a Public Enemy "Best Of" right now. It was called "Singles N Remixes". I bought it at a import shop because it was only released in Japan at the time. I totally forgot how good "Welcome to the Terrordome" is.

MMaRsu

HiResDes said:
You gotta be super blazed, lol...It's decent I guess

It's got a couple of good tracks on it man don't hate now. Especially the KRS/BDK track and the Pharrel Snoop track :p.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
In terms of technique on the title track specifically there is so much to digest...The flow is simply uncanny, dare I say even beyond any Yelawolf track.

Haha, no HiRes. I know you like to be contrarian but Rittz has long way to go before sounds as good or comfortable as Yela, on any track.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Rittz is pretty good, I enjoyed White Jesus, but yelawolf is better. I know signing with shady has put the taint on him for half of the people in here, so it's probably hard to look back on him without bias, but trunk muzik was incredible. One of the most ride ready worthy albums in years. Every track banged, and yet he had good variety to his songs as well. White Jesus doesn't even come close to Trunk Muzik, but it certainly is still a very enjoyable album.

And yes, KRIT reminds me of UGK over ATliens era Outkast beats. Which is fantastic since if he was just a straight up UGK or Outkast clone, I wouldn't like him as much, but the fact he seems to blend the styles and vibe of those two bands makes him unique and refreshing as fuck.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
Haha, no HiRes. I know you like to be contrarian but Rittz has long way to go before sounds as good or comfortable as Yela, on any track.

come-at-me-bro.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MMaRsu said:
It's got a couple of good tracks on it man don't hate now. Especially the KRS/BDK track and the Pharrel Snoop track :p.
The KRS track is sick. Brake Lights is consistently better though, Purp & Patron feels a bit all over the place, and The Hangover was kind of eh. The Kill >>> *

Oh and I enjoyed that one Rittz song off of siddx' compilation (high five), but not enough to check out the tape cause I had so much else on my plate. I got HiiPower on constant rotation too, exponentially better than any of the stuff on OD, IMO. Cautiously optimistic.

Oh and I know I had a average review of Covert Coup as a whole but god damn the beat on Double 07 is incredible.. Toku probably had to change his pants when he heard the production throughout the album, god damn.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
The KRS track is sick. Brake Lights is consistently better though, Purp & Patron feels a bit all over the place, and The Hangover was kind of eh. The Kill >>> *

Oh and I enjoyed that one Rittz song off of siddx' compilation (high five), but not enough to check out the tape cause I had so much else on my plate. I got HiiPower on constant rotation too, exponentially better than any of the stuff on OD, IMO. Cautiously optimistic.

Oh and I know I had a average review of Covert Coup as a whole but god damn the beat on Double 07 is incredible.. Toku probably had to change his pants when he heard the production throughout the album, god damn.

ALC > *

Vanilla Ice could announce that he's doing an album with entirely Alchemist production tomorrow and I'd be there day one for it. Anything with Kno or ALC production is automatic purchase for me.

As far as Covert Coup production goes, "Success Is My Cologne" and "BBS" beats are just...

mWp9m.gif

Ferryboat killaz flashbacks...

enzo_gt said:
Well yeah, thats what I said, 50/Wayne/Jay/Ye are in another league. Thats just obvious. And Wiz money all goes to papers and AmorAll for Amber's head, that shit don't come cheap. + the cut Atlantic gets. Using Columbus as a metric to compare to Wiz is some funny shit though. Let's see what he did in his London shows, probably considerably more than that. At the end of the day, I still think Ross is getting more money in his pocket in comparison to Wiz.

Who would you put inbetween Ross and Jay leagues anyways?

Rappers? hard to say....most of the older guys have a really hard time selling tickets unless they go overseas, Americans mostly go to see whoever spins on radio OR has a cult following.

at the absolute top would be eminem but he doesn't like to tour.

Then in the U.S Wayne, Kanye & Jay. Overseas 50 is bigger than all of them in most markets, but he isn't shit in America anymore so it evens out. Wayne is the dominate one in the U.S right now, his tour numbers shit on Jay-z, kayne, 50, and eminem's tour numbers in their prime in the states.

the next rung down would be like Drake, Nicki Minaj, Tech9, Wiz almost always sells out, the newer acts that tour colleges like mac miller, machine gun kelly, lupe does well.

Then the regional acts like dipset, lloyd banks, gucci, waka, etc. they do ok if they have a hit out or in dipset's case a cult hipster audience.

the b level rappers like jeezy, game, ross, don't do as well as you think, surprisingly. Game can tour the world though so he's good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Before I was really "into" hip hop, before I had my OCD of only downloading tagged up songs, and before I even cared about who did the production (read: 4ish years ago), a lot of songs would catch my ear based on the crazy production alone. I always will value production much more than rapping, a hot beat can carry a song with me, some hot rhymes over a garbage instrumental can't. Then getting into hip hop I'd find half of my favourite beats were produced by Alc, so I had mad respect for him.

Oh and Kendrick Lamar says he's feature for Detox is "confirmed." HRD to pick up Detox/on suicide watch confirmed.

Dre's "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait" Chrysler commercial. Lol, the beat is pretty ill though. Same commercial as before, Lamar cameo and all, but new track dubbed over.

know there are a few b.o.b. fans that linger here, wasnt a fan of his lp but his mixtapes are amazing, anyway heard this

Tech N9ne - Am I A Psycho? ft. B.o.B. and Hopsin produced by B.o.B.

a pretty good verse by all 3

HiResDes

I just bought and downloaded a bunch of stuff recommended by Shinobi over the past few days and I know have about 120 new ill rap/hip-hop songs in my library...So hyped to ride the bus, lol.

Edit: Hold on, Enzo likes The Kill?...Out of all the rappers to go over that beat (more than five) I think I like Game's version the least..And High Five wasn't enough to warrant a White Jesus listen? Man, I don't think our tastes could be more different. I would avoid listening to anything I recommend in the future.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
I just bought and downloaded a bunch of stuff recommended by Shinobi over the past few days and I know have about 120 new ill rap/hip-hop songs in my library...So hyped to ride the bus, lol.

Edit: Hold on, Enzo likes The Kill?...Out of all the rappers to go over that beat (more than five) I think I like Game's version the least..And High Five wasn't enough to warrant a White Jesus listen? Man, I don't think our tastes could be more different. I would avoid listening to anything I recommend in the future.
You mentioned this before, but I still like the song. I've only heard like 2 other versions, one by Jimmy and I forget the other. Nah I didn't listen to White Jesus because I already had like 5 other tapes/albums in my backlog. I still want to check it out in due time.

Psch, I'm still looking forward to your May wrap up. I only really get tapes off of the monthly wrap ups people do because there's like 10 tapes posted a day in this thread. Also I've had that Anti-Freeze on rotation for a long time now too from checking out Mania! months ago. That shit goes hard as fuck. Though yeah, my opinions clash with the majority of GAF-Hop often.
OB4CLII is trash no matter what you guys say.

Probably gonna hit up The Weeknd and Trunk Muzik next from the GAF love.

DominoKid

2zhmyrs.jpg

my body is not ready.

i think Waka saved all the heat *looks around* for this mixtape.

if Dallas won I wonder how he'd make a pun out of Dirk Nowitzki

Detox

Game has just announced the appearances on R.E.D: Dr. Dre, Pharrell Williams, Snoop Dogg, Tyler, The Creator, Wiz Khalifa, Trey Songz, Drake and Chris Brown that is just way too much. It's like he checking off a list of dicks he likes to suck, and guys who are hot at the moment. The song with Tyler is called Martians vs. Goblins...

In other news this version of Book of Rhymes is > than the original. Can anyone find a d/l link for it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Detox said:
Game has just announced the appearances on R.E.D: Dr. Dre, Pharrell Williams, Snoop Dogg, Tyler, The Creator, Wiz Khalifa, Trey Songz, Drake and Chris Brown that is just way too much. It's like he checking off a list of dicks he likes to suck, and guys who are hot at the moment. The song with Tyler is called Martians vs. Goblins...

In other news this version of Book of Rhymes is > than the original. Can anyone find a d/l link for it?
Man that's every youngin that's buzzin on one track, he just Blueprint 3'd the R.E.D. Album. If I was to thin it out a bit, I'd only keep Dre, Pharrell (okay he must have contributed 1 good beat somewhere in the process), Snoop and Drake (if I were to pick one of those to do the hook, certainly not Pharell).

Also, Kanye apparently performed at the Gil Scott Heron's Memorial service, he certainly was a huge fan himself. R.I.P. Gil.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
i can't tell if you guys like flocka ironically or not. people actually listen to this mong?

I don't study his lyrics like I would the Gza. His songs just get me pumped up. Kinda the same appeal those Euro DJs who talk over their techno a little bit. He just seasons the beat. And boy does he season. Case in point. Gun Sounds

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:
I don't study his lyrics like I would the Gza. His songs just get me pumped up. Kinda the same appeal those Euro DJs who talk over their techno a little bit. He just seasons the beat. And boy does he season. Case in point. Gun Sounds

Man i get that if you're just trying to get some subs blasting or a couple tracks on a workout playlist but all i'm saying is if I had to listen to this dude's music for more than 3 consecutive tracks i'd probably kill myself.

Edit: Bruno Mars? Really? Fuuuuck this whole project.

Detox

That felt like a soft version of When the music stops and Till I Collapse. :( Definitely not bad meets evil hope this album isn't Wiz meets Kanye: Fighting over Amber.

nns3d

hubes said:
Carter IV pushed back till August 29th
shit was originally supposed to drop last week lol.

Honestly, it's been really hard for me to get excited over Tha Carter IV. All the songs I've heard have ranged from average to just awful. Haven't bothered listening to How to Love, but I haven't heard anything great about it.

Just heard Pusha-T's tape the other day. It was alright, but I don't think that it'll be getting alot of replay from me outside of Raid.

The Em/Royce/Bruno song sounds pretty nice, but the amount of radio-play it's (probably) gonna get will make me grow tired of the song (just like the Em/Rihanna collab last year). Hoping for the best for Hell: The Sequel.

Can't wait for the new Odd Future video!

I'm actually not looking for to Bad Meets Evil..

this shit is meh.... and the snippets aren't giving me much hope.

too many fast lyrics just because while screaming and talking about how all women are bitches.

Gets old, bro.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
i'd be down for a budden royce eminem chris brown kanye collabo concept album about misogyny

Budden and Brown are the only OGs on that list though. Royce, Em, Kanye? pfft. Studio misogynists.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
kamspy said:
Budden and Brown are the only OGs on that list though. Royce, Em, Kanye? pfft. Studio misogynists.

Can't Stop (Bitch!) -Budden and Brown Ft. Morgan Freeman

hubes

Afrocentric-Asian said:
Honestly, it's been really hard for me to get excited over Tha Carter IV. All the songs I've heard have ranged from average to just awful. Haven't bothered listening to How to Love, but I haven't heard anything great about it.
i like 6'7' and john, but how to love is terrible. it's made for women and i would really question any male that wouldn't delete it or somehow physically scratch their cd so it skips when that song comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom