• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

I would have tried to sell the announcement of my wife's pregnancy if given the chance. Some of yall are salty as hell. Step your pimp games up.

Em n Royce snippets weren't really a shocker. It all kinda blends together as one song. Royce sounds like he really thinks he's gonna blow up. Man. You almost feel sorry for him. If it's priced like a digital EP I'll pick it up. (if they don't have it on Rhapsody)

I can see Wiz being broke. That chronic doesn't pay for itself. Plus all those c notes he handing out to Taylor Gang to watch the door(from afar, with the police on the phone) so him and Amber don't get robbed at the hotel. She was probably fucking his potential. It's the new Benz in today's music industry.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
Looks promising, but about expectations. Above The Law and Loud Noises.

Wiz is definitely broke, sold his soul to major label devil. Y'all make it sound like he was getting Ross money or something, considerable fractions I'm sure. Also knocking up Amber Rose? Already? Budden is sitting somewhere like really, you hit the first video chick you got? Seems like he saw the future and knew that her being Kanye's chick for a bit is enough to far outlast Wiz in terms of relevancy. Good luck with that homie. Spin said it best, she looks like she smells like fish. She's a C grade celebrity and D grade model. Wasn't even a good look for Ye.

Speaking of Budden: some of TorontoGAF may have heard of D-Pryde. Dude went to high school near me, and he's about my age. Shocked to see his song show up on NR today featuring Joe Budden. Damn, dude's blown up. The song isn't that great though, and he's sounding more like Drake by the day, but here it is for anyone who cares: D-Pryde ft. Joe Budden - No Sleep.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Looks promising, but about expectations. Above The Law and Loud Noises.

Wiz is definitely broke, sold his soul to major label devil. Y'all make it sound like he was getting Ross money or something, considerable fractions I'm sure. Also knocking up Amber Rose? Already? Budden is sitting somewhere like really, you hit the first video chick you got? Seems like he saw the future and knew that her being Kanye's chick for a bit is enough to far outlast Wiz in terms of relevancy. Good luck with that homie. Spin said it best, she looks like she smells like fish. She's a C grade celebrity and D grade model. Wasn't even a good look for Ye.

Speaking of Budden: some of TorontoGAF may have heard of D-Pryde. Dude went to high school near me, and he's about my age. Shocked to see his song show up on NR today featuring Joe Budden. Damn, dude's blown up. The song isn't that great though, and he's sounding more like Drake by the day, but here it is for anyone who cares: D-Pryde ft. Joe Budden - No Sleep.

I like his energy, but his voice annoys me for some reason. All in all, not bad.

How much did Atlantic give, Wiz in advance? By that, I could tell if the dude is making bank or not by comparing the soundscan's. Because the artist gets rape on every major aspect, even from the packaging of the CD or Vinyl(15-30% of your royalty rate, thats why major labels like to make the royalty rate look nice)If the contract he signed had a sales projection for his album and it didn't meet expectations, then homeboy is fucked.

kamspy

Yeah. I think the Lox still owe Puff money because they signed a bad deal. You'd like to think we got past that, as a species, but who knows.

I remember the worst deal I ever heard was Bone thugs. E.1999 Eternal, which sold 10 billion trillion records was on some fuck boy deal where as a group, all five rappers and DJ U Neek got to split something like $0.09 per CD sold.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
Ross is caking? Word?
Tour money. Feature money. Mostly tour money. Not Jay/Diddy bracket money obviously, but he's making a considerable amount I'd think, one tier below that kind of money. More than Wiz at least.

I don't care how much money he makes as long as he maintains the public facade for as long as possible really. He could cut costs some places and be in Diddy league though, cut a few shoes here, stop sending Cap'n Crunch to Wale's rent-a-car there. CAKIN.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
enzo_gt said:
Tour money. Feature money. Not Jay/Diddy bracket money obviously, but he's making a considerable amount I'd think, one tier below that kind of money. More than Wiz at least.

I don't care how much money he makes as long as he maintains the public facade for as long as possible really.

Rick Ross is the hottest, non-crossed over, rapper in the game right now..

In fact he is the only artist who gets drop his label's soundbite on other people's remixes

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Like the Bad Meets Evil snippets. I know some of ya'll will hate it regardless but other than one of the songs, I liked em all.

Wiz didn't knock up shit. You know she's went back to fucking real stars behind his back when she realized wiz is a scrub whose fame will never come for her to eat off of. Baby is Kanye's.

kamspy

The funny thing about Wiz's probable financial struggles is that Ross tried to sign him to MMG. Where's the damn lol emot when you need it.

I think Ricky shot waaaay too low with the people he signed outside of Wale. He could have built his own little 2011 G Unit / No Limit. Meek Millz is the second worst rapper I've ever heard, and Pill might as well be Slim Dunkin or YG Hootie.

Blackace

siddx said:
Like the Bad Meets Evil snippets. I know some of ya'll will hate it regardless but other than one of the songs, I liked em all.

Wiz didn't knock up shit. You know she's went back to fucking real stars behind his back when she realized wiz is a scrub whose fame will never come for her to eat off of. Baby is Kanye's.

Kanye likes the 808 area of Hawaii.. I don't think men can have babies..

Blackace

kamspy said:
The funny thing about Wiz's probable financial struggles is that Ross tried to sign him to MMG. Where's the damn lol emot when you need it.

I think Ricky shot waaaay too low with the people he signed outside of Wale. He could have built his own little 2011 G Unit / No Limit. Meek Millz is the second worst rapper I've ever heard, and Pill might as well be Slim Dunkin or YG Hootie.

The well is dry there.. no talent in his click.. Wale can flow but is odd with them..

ShinobiFist said:
General Monks (Planet Asia & TriState) Each Step Becomes Elevated (2011)
iJoCyl.jpg

12. We That Shit feat. Rogue Venom, Krondon & Phil The Agony

I just found out that my man Jansport J produced this track (he has a vocal spot on one of my albums, haha). Mad props to him.

kamspy

Blackace said:
The well is dry there.. no talent in his click.. Wale can flow but is odd with them..

Gibbs would have been a good fit. And I still say Tity Boy would fit really well. He does the exact same type of hooks Ross does. It would be a major improvement over Pill at least. Fred da Godson wouldn't have been a bad move either.

Wale is like that free agent wide receiver that you don't want to sign, but you kinda have to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
Yeah, I'd say Ross passed Weezy a while ago as #1 in the rap power rankings.
Power with what demographic? Sure Ross is hot on the streets.

Wayne did 900K in US, with an EP, while he was in PRISON. He comes out and Ross pretty much went to his feet and made I'm Not A Star more recognizably Lil Wayne's song now with the public. He just gave that shit away. You don't say no to Wayne. Even Ross understands the influential power Wayne holds, he used it to boost his own public perception by getting on tracks with him in the past.

6'7' is that new shit and Mack Maine has Bangladesh punk ass producers at his feet trying to get a soundbyte on Carter IV for free. Wayne isn't giving up the torch anytime soon.

DominoKid

kamspy said:
Yeah, I'd say Ross passed Weezy a while ago as #1 in the rap power rankings.

Ross cant pass Weezy until he has big artists (Drake/Nicki in Wayne's case) come up under him. And he knows that, hence the MMG efforts.

also, proof that some rappers wouldnt recognize a hot beat if it kicked them in the teeth.
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/0...als/its-all-about-the-benjamins-remix#gallery
Puff Daddy f/ The Lox, The Notorious B.I.G., & Lil’ Kim “It's All About the Benjamins (Remix)” (1997)

Produced by: Sean "Puffy" Combs & Deric "D-Dot" Angelettie for The Hitmen

Jadakiss: “[Puff] had the beat from The Hitmen. But the rhyme, his first intro, ‘Now, what y’all wanna do, wanna be ballers...,’ I wrote that. I was rhyming in the MIDI room amongst us, we were trading rhymes, me and Styles and whoever was there. He came in, heard me saying that, and was like, ‘I need that!’ Then he put that on the ‘Benjamins’ beat. He had laid it, but me and Sheek didn’t put nothing down yet. We didn’t really like the beat.

“So then the whole No Way Out was almost finished, and Diddy was like, ‘Yo, y’all gotta lay a verse on this beat.’ And that’s how ‘Benjamins’ came about. But we weren’t crazy about it, how it went all crazy. I didn’t personally [like it]. I thought the beat was garbage, from when it was raw. Then being in the club, the skating rink, and they’re playing it for thirty, forty minutes straight, that was crazy.

“That was part of why B.I.G. was in Cali. Working, and promoting Life After Death. Whatever he was doing, he was still working. He laid that verse in Cali if I’m not mistaken. I only heard it on the remix. And Kim was always around. She was family.”

siddx

kamspy said:

Ross isn't going to sign anyone who either outshines him (millz and pill) or does the same kind of music as him (wale). He's still an artist first and foremost and isn't going to have the rest of his C list "super" group take attention away from himself on tracks.

Plus finding a rapper that wasn't an inmate that might resent him for all those CO beatings he laid down must be hard.

Blackace

kamspy said:
Gibbs would have been a good fit. And I still say Tity Boy would fit really well. He does the exact same type of hooks Ross does. It would be a major improvement over Pill at least. Fred da Godson wouldn't have been a bad move either.

Wale is like that free agent wide receiver that you don't want to sign, but you kinda have to.

Glasses Malone would have been too good..

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
Power with what demographic? Sure Ross is hot on the streets.

Wayne did 900K in US, with an EP, while he was in PRISON. He comes out and Ross pretty much went to his feet and made I'm Not A Star more recognizably Lil Wayne's song now with the public. He just gave that shit away. You don't say no to Wayne. Even Ross understands the influential power Wayne holds, he used it to boost his own public perception by getting on tracks with him in the past.

6'7' is that new shit and Mack Maine has Bangladesh punk ass producers at his feet trying to get a soundbyte on Carter IV for free. Wayne isn't giving up the torch anytime soon.

Maybe 6'7' is the shit in the streets of Canada. But here, in merica, Self Made is pretty much the album of the summer.

Weezy still tops Ross in the pop sector, hence the album sales. Most people I talk to are done with Wayne.

Blackace

DominoKid said:
Ross cant pass Weezy until he has big artists (Drake/Nicki in Wayne's case) come up under him. And he knows that, hence the MMG efforts.

Actually Weezy became much less of a powerhouse himself once he found Drake..

siddx

I'd probably be a big Weezy fan if it wasn't for the voice. I think he writes some clever stuff, has good beat selection, and has charisma for days...but his fucking voice is so irritating.

Blackace

siddx said:
I'd probably be a big Weezy fan if it wasn't for the voice. I think he writes some clever stuff, has good beat selection, and has charisma for days...but his fucking voice is so irritating.

I started liking Weezy more once I heard Drake.. I thought to myself.. "Well Weezy wasn't so bad after all...."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
Maybe 6'7' is the shit in the streets of Canada. But here, in merica, Self Made is pretty much the album of the summer.

Weezy still tops Ross in the pop sector, hence the album sales.
Carter IV hasn't hit yet. But in terms of power, 6'7' will make more of a blip than anything from Self Made ever will. Weezy has the numbers, and he has the influence through Nicki and Drake. Nicki and Drake are exactly why Weezy is still powerful, and why Suge was still powerful in the 90s, no comparison beyond that intended.

Actual quality of music is another discussion, which would probably heavily lean in favour of Ross, but Wayne still holds the power. Like siddx said, Ross isn't going anywhere signing Pill. Wayne openly says he's out to find people who are better than him and would only want his apprentices to do better, now that's a powerful mentality. He's also not bad at paying those even less worthy, like Gudda Gudda and the such to keep their muzzle's on either.

DominoKid

Blackace said:
Actually Weezy became much less of a powerhouse himself once he found Drake..

maybe output-wise. but Drake's success gave him legitimacy from a business/mogul standpoint. Nicki furthered that. YM is now the legit power stable in hip-hop.

Blackace

DominoKid said:
maybe output-wise. but Drake's success gave him legitimacy from a business/mogul standpoint. Nicki furthered that. YM is now the legit power stable in hip-hop.

Yeah but as an artist himself.. I believe Ross is on top right now.. You can see it in how Lil Wayne is reaching to him now so much..

siddx

Blackace said:
I started liking Weezy more once I heard Drake.. I thought to myself.. "Well Weezy wasn't so bad after all...."

lol actually I feel somewhat the same way. Still not a fan of the voice but after drake, getting punched in your ear repeatedly would sound better.
I have nothing against Drake, I wish him all the success in world, but fuck I can't stand his music. WHO THE FUCK ARE YAAAAAWL

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
Carter IV hasn't hit yet. But in terms of power, 6'7' will make more of a blip than anything from Self Made ever will. Weezy has the numbers, and he has the influence through Nicki and Drake. Nicki and Drake are exactly why Weezy is still powerful, and why Suge was still powerful in the 90s, no comparison beyond that intended.

I'm sure Wanye had some crud buckets signed before he found Drake and Nicki. This is Ross' first draft. Give him some time.

Plus, lay off, he's making fat sexy again and I don't feel like treadmilling this gut off again.

Blackace

siddx said:
lol actually I feel somewhat the same way. Still not a fan of the voice but after drake, getting punched in your ear repeatedly would sound better.
I have nothing against Drake, I wish him all the success in world, but fuck I can't stand his music. WHO THE FUCK ARE YAAAAAWL

if Drake would make a normal chorus in his songs I could like him more..

siddx

Blackace said:
if Drake would make a normal chorus in his songs I could like him more..

What you don't like a mumbling autotuned attempt at singing in every single hook? We just lack the necessary vagina to be able to enjoy it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
I'm sure Wanye had some crud buckets signed before he found Drake and Nicki. This is Ross' first draft. Give him some time.

Plus, lay off, he's making fat sexy again and I don't feel like treadmilling this gut off again.
Where to start with duds that Wayne signed? Wale is the only pick I could see that gives Ross any power, and even still it's just Wale.. Affiliating with Drake was an incredibly powerful move that worked out for them both. Where's Ross' Drake?

the-new-drake-much.gif

...who will be the new Drake?

DominoKid

kamspy said:

YM hasnt really had a lot of turnover, he's basically still working with the same crew he's been working with. He had Curren$y in line around The Carter 2 to be his right hand man but the timing didnt work out right. Minaj has been around since at least Da Drought 3. People bust on Tyga and Chuckee/Twist but even they're more popular than any MMG artist.

Thing is, I dont doubt Ross can make his own empire, but I think he needs a Dame Dash type to identify talent, potential and handle the business side of things. Ross seems to have a good handle on artistic development and the music process.

JackEtc

So I've been listening to Straight Outta Compton some more, and it's slowly growing on me. sssssllloooowwwwwlllyyyy.

But I got Strictly Hip Hop: The Best of Cypress Hill, and am really liking it. I had only heard Insane in the Brain, I Want to Get High, and Tales from the Bong.

I love Cypress Hill's style of rapping, so good.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
Where to start with duds that Wayne signed? Wale is the only pick I could see that gives Ross any power, and even still it's just Wale.. Affiliating with Drake was an incredibly powerful move that worked out for them both. Where's Ross' Drake?
IMG]

...who will be the new Drake?

It took Wayne how many years to find his personal Robin? Also, never forget all that Squad Up garbage people listened through just to get to the Wayne parts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blackace said:
One

Two

KO.

The fucking fascination people have with the second song makes me want to stab someone. TWENTY NINE MILLION VIEWS? FOR WHAT?!

edited for proper display of how much it angers me: WHY DO PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS SHIT. FUCK.

siddx

JackEtc said:
So I've been listening to Straight Outta Compton some more, and it's slowly growing on me. sssssllloooowwwwwlllyyyy.

But I got Strictly Hip Hop: The Best of Cypress Hill, and am really liking it. I had only heard Insane in the Brain, I Want to Get High, and Tales from the Bong.

I love Cypress Hill's style of rapping, so good.

Cypress Hill have so many great tracks. First three albums are all must owns. And IV is a great attempt at moving forward with their sound without abandoning what made them unique. Things get a little iffy after that. Skull and Bones was so so but overall disappointing. And Stoned Raiders had some really great tracks but just didn't feel like a cohesive album. Haven't given Till Death or Rise Up much of a listen but what I heard wasn't good.

Cypress Hill was hands down my favorite group from about 93-98

siddx

Blackace said:
Tyga came to Japan and performed in a packed house of 75..

true story

75?! Damn, he must be moving up in the world!

The image of 75 gaijin with a handful of Japanese kids mixed in listening to Tyga play his set makes me laugh more than it should.

Blackace

siddx said:
75?! Damn, he must be moving up in the world!

The image of 75 gaijin with a handful of Japanese kids mixed in listening to Tyga play his set makes me laugh more than it should.

it was real bad..

even Fabo drew 300 or so..

siddx

Blackace said:
it was real bad..

even Fabo drew 300 or so..

You shoulda jumped on stage, knocked his ass out, and got behind the turntables to play a set.

Blackace

siddx said:
You shoulda jumped on stage, knocked his ass out, and got behind the turntables to play a set.

75 people in Bayhall looks like 15 in some of the hole in the wall clubs I play at sometimes..

I was depressed...

DominoKid

enzo_gt said:
One

Two

KO.

The fucking fascination people have with the second song makes me want to stab someone. TWENTY NINE MILLION VIEWS? FOR WHAT?!

edited for proper display of how much it angers me: WHY DO PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS SHIT. FUCK.

oh come on I Feel Like Dying is nice. thats like the only good drugtrip song he made.

Kaizer

Banned
Blackace said:
Tyga came to Japan and performed in a packed house of 75..

true story
Ouch. Should've linked up with someone like Zeebra or Verbal for a collabo performance to bring out more people.

siddx

Blackace said:
75 people in Bayhall looks like 15 in some of the hole in the wall clubs I play at sometimes..

I was depressed...

My buddy once spent a month setting up a gig with two other DJ's at a huge club. He spent tons of his own money and time to promote it, and helped pay to get a big name DJ to come play with them. Club had capacity for about 500 people.
3 showed up.
A lot of it had to do with some internal club politics where some employees were deliberately trying to sabotage the gig in order to convince the owner to stick with reggaeton music ("look, nobody came out for techno, clearly we need to stay with reggaeton only!")
But still, I could tell it was demoralizing as hell for my friend. He bounced back though and is making a good name for himself now and is getting tons of gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom