• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
K.Jack said:
Not yet.

Bring some to the table.
I'll see what I can do :)

A cross section (not necessarily a fan of all of em but try to be representative)

Briggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQBCJIEnQJM
ge-briggs-xmas1.png

Urthboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gNHDZn9H30
urthboy.jpg

HorrorShow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPcdtt66tY
Horrorshow.jpg

Drapht
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki6YTXyITaQ
drapht.jpg

Justice & Kaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz_RCAfZwpU
theme_music_justice_kaos_album.jpg

Hilltop Hoods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xu8CcamT4
Hilltop_060331082301667_wideweb__300x375.jpg

The Herd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQnGqdFO9EY&feature=related
180609123424_herd455.jpg

Bliss n Eso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzrCp17a9k
Bliss+n+Eso+bne_pic2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PqfnN8d8rU
360-rapper.jpg

Pez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tczH283SwkA
190209040025_pez_festival2.jpg

Def Wish Cast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4Om51H1o8
Def_Wish_Cast.jpg

1200 Techniques
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXj8L4U4hQ
1200Techniques007.jpg

Astronomy Class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkhYG5hRC1E
120609034518_astronomyclass_main.jpg

Brad Strut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCq32KsXko
bradstrutphoto.gif

The Last Kinection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSAIiDXHLD0
The-Last-Kinection.web_.jpg

Chopper Read (yeah.. that Chopper lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv9QXkL4Deg
chopper_wideweb__470x308,0.jpg

Spit Syndicate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xHBd86Rk6E
667071_thumbnail_280_Spit_Syndicate_Spit_Syndicate_Starry_Eyed_National_Tour.v1.jpg

Hyjak n Torcha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5prK5aQbwA
l_95e92ca97f044e5bbfef1318f9287ccc.jpg

Tokubetsu

coldvein said:
The House of Gucci, better known simply as Gucci (Italian pronunciation: [ˈɡuttʃi]), is an Italian fashion and leather goods label, part of the Gucci Group, which is owned by French company PPR.[1] Gucci was founded by Guccio Gucci in Florence in 1921.

it's fucking ridiculous to me that this word is part of our vernacular as fans of hiphop. this is french/italian fashion nugget bullshit. any rapper that associates his name with it, or names a song after it, is instantly worthless. in my opinion. just my opinion.

Nas used to rap about Guess jeans my dude...Just let it go.

coldvein

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Nas used to rap about Guess jeans my dude...Just let it go.

i'm generally pret ty okay with popular culture references in rap. that's how it is. my adidas, etc. guess jeans? okay. dudes could afford that shit. british knights? sure. GUCCI? fucking GUCCI? you can't walk into a GUCCI store without some houseboy opening the door for you. and you're not walking out of there without spending a grand. on a bag. or shoes. and you shouldn't either. if there was a glitz rapper called LOUIS VUITTRON, would you love and worship him, too? i hope not. these people deserve RIDICULE, not props and salutations.

OttomanScribe said:
Yeah, 360 is a hilarious battle rapper.
This one is freaking hilarious... not necessarily because it was a good battle, but because in the third round he reads a letter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFdJoSHgcw

60 does charisma really well, though sometimes he makes up for average rhymes with it.
This is the battle rap I was talking about
coldvein said:
i'm generally pret ty okay with popular culture references in rap. that's how it is. my adidas, etc. guess jeans? okay. dudes could afford that shit. british knights? sure. GUCCI? fucking GUCCI? you can't walk into a GUCCI store without some houseboy opening the door for you. and you're not walking out of there without spending a grand. on a bag. or shoes. and you shouldn't either. if there was a glitz rapper called LOUIS VUITTRON, would you love and worship him, too? i hope not. these people deserve RIDICULE, not props and salutations.
I actually see guys wearing gucci stuff here more than girls. They be saving up for that stuff and they get it because rappers wear it and talk about it lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
The V-nasty/Kreayshawn thing is just idiocy. Gucci Gucci is a decently catchy song with a great beat and worthless lyrics, but everything else these two put out has been complete garbage. HHgaf just likes to be weird as fuck sometimes and jump on selfmade bandwagons, even if those bandwagons are covered in horseshit and on fire.
Just like the fanwagon for OB4CLII.

Bad Meets Evil leaked?

Uh, brb.

OttomanScribe said:
Yeah I've seen it, Madness used his 'letter reading' thing in a battle against this female mc recently.
Lol this Keynote guy is a joke, I can't take him seriously at all. That letter reading is hilarious, it's like 360 analyzed the hell out of this guy and told his whole life story. You can tell Keynote was pretty pissed about that.

illadelph said:
Loud Noises is straight up bananas. SLAAAUUGHTERHOOUUUUSSE

The piano + effects that kick in during Budden's verse are too nice. Joell fuggin spazzed too.

EDIT: Havoc brought the heat with that Welcome To Hell beat. Gotdamn.

coldvein said:
which is a total fucking joke. and (to me) is the anti hiphop.

Swagger jacking????? Welcome to Hip-Hop, we take shit and make it are own. Is been like that since day one. From the fashion and music.

Tguy said:
Lol this Keynote guy is a joke, I can't take him seriously at all. That letter reading is hilarious, it's like 360 analyzed the hell out of this guy and told his whole life story. You can tell Keynote was pretty pissed about that.
Yeah, their battle was personal, they've been having this weird internet beef for a while.

60 can be kinda gimmicky but it is worth it for the troll value. The media reaction to this song was hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZSeZ5SeHA

Bec Cartright is a 'famous' actor and Leyton Hewitt is a tennis player. They are one of those lame celebrity couples. There were all these morning radio stations attacking him all offended, not getting that he is taking the piss.

coldvein

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Swagger jacking????? Welcome to Hip-Hop, we take shit and make it are own. Is been like that since day one. From the fashion and music.

the first thing you need to take and make your own is the english language. that will be your bling.

hiphop isn't about "swag-jacking" (???). i don't even know this term.. somebody help.. hiphop isn't about brand names. it never has been.

coldvein said:
the first thing you need to take and make your own is the english language. that will be your bling.

hiphop isn't about "swag-jacking" (???). i don't even know this term.. somebody help.. hiphop isn't about brand names. it never has been.
When have you started listening to hiphop/rap? Because this has been going on for at least 15 years now.....I'm sure much longer than that

Notorious BIG - "Living better now, Coogi Sweater Now"

Damn Grzi lol

coldvein said:

You have to be joking...Dude, is been like that since day uno, wtf. Motherfuckers talking about their Kango hats and Fila's and shit in the 80's and shit. And what's the deal with this "English" Language remark?

Tguy said:
When have you started listening to hiphop/rap? Because this has been going on for at least 15 years now.....I'm sure much longer than that

Notorious BIG - "Living better now, Gucci Sweater Now"
Biggie isn't hip hop! He talks about Gucci!

coldvein

Banned
Tguy said:

since i was old enough to get tapes for my birthday. so.. err.. 22 years ago?

i dig the lyric. i dig biggie. but that dude is dead. and i'm quite certain that in his heart all he wanted was good times for his friends and family. gucci sweaters or not. to me, hiphop has always been a people's movement. it's blue collar. it's (at its best times) about raising your community up. helping your neighbor. alot of people apparently disagree with that.. but that's my story and i'm gonna stick with it.

if you walk down my poor ass block with a gucci hat on i'm gonna pull it off your head, take a shit in it and then put it right back.

coldvein said:

i dig the lyric. i dig biggie. but that dude is dead. and i'm quite certain that in his heart all he wanted was good times for his friends and family. gucci sweaters or not. to me, hiphop has always been a people's movement. it's blue collar. it's (at its best times) about raising your community up. helping your neighbor. alot of people apparently disagree with that.. but that's my story and i'm gonna stick with it.

if you walk down my poor ass block with a gucci hat on i'm gonna pull it off your head, take a shit in it and then put it right back.
Hmm..

coldvein

Banned
OttomanScribe said:

stop it, hodor.

edit: you got me. angry male over here.

further edit: my community is mine. all of it. my block is mine. motherfuckers walking by thinking theyre fly with a gucci cap on aren't welcome here, and have nothing to do with me or my people.

coldvein said:

And Gucci sweaters....And helping your neighbor.....WTF, you think Hip-Hop is State Farm insurance? Hip-Hop Is about one thing only, having a good time. Ask Puffy.

coldvein said:

I'm not sure what does Biggie being dead has to do with anything, but I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying fashion has been part of hiphop/rap, whatever you call it, as long as that other stuff. Wearing big chains and shit, showing off, and bragging.

You can stick with that story and believe hiphop isn't about fashion just as much as being broke, going from rags to riches, or helping your community out, but you'll be wrong if you do.

coldvein

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
And Gucci sweaters....And helping your neighbor.....WTF, you think Hip-Hop is State Farm insurance? Hip-Hop Is about one thing only, having a good time. Ask Puffy.

ask puffy? that's a joke, right?

coldvein

Banned
Tguy said:
I'm not sure what does Biggie being dead has to do with anything, but I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying fashion has been part of hiphop/rap, whatever you call it, as long as that other stuff. Wearing big chains and shit, showing off, and bragging.

You can stick with that story and believe hiphop isn't about fashion just as much as being broke, going from rags to riches, or helping your community out, but you'll be wrong if you do.

so we disagree. that's fair. to me the big chains and bullshit have always been and should always be just a bonus of the fact that creative cats can get themselves out of rags and come to riches (through their music). yeah, i suppose alot of the time what rappers are concerned with talking about is how bad they are, how good they are..i dig that, that's part of the culture..competition makes people rugged. that's respectable. saying "i have a more itialian shirt on than you" doesn't. or "i have more expensive shoes on than you" doesn't. that's piss in the wind. and that's alot of what rap is today. i'm just saying i don't like it.

I think that hip hop isn't just one thing. It means lots of different things to lots of different people. I mean some parts will appeal more than others, depending on who listens. I mean I like people like Kweli and the Narcysist because they talk about things that interest me. Some people like that swagger stuff, or the big noting, 'bullsh*** ice-rap' or whatever.

Doesn't mean it isn't hip hop, just means it is a different part of a broad thing. While I think that it is easy to idealise the roots of it all as being a movement with principles and meaning and stuff like that, since the beginning not everyone has seen it that way. Not that I was there at the beginning, but thats how it seems to me.

Kimosabae

Banned
I think Vein just wants to hold the culture to what he feels is a higher standard. No doubt, materialism has been intrinsic to hip hop since the beginning, but that doesn't mean it can't be seen as a blemish on the culture. I see the unsolicited corporate pandering in a lower-class movement as askew, also. It's really just about lower-class people expressing excitement about their capacity to move up the class-ladder, which, depending on your perspective, can be seen as reasonable, pathetic or reasonably pathetic.

Grzi

Tguy said:

It's Coogi sweater, dude. Coogi.
Don't misquote Biggie.

Kimosabae said:
I think Vein just wants to hold the culture to what he feels is a higher standard. No doubt, materialism has been intrinsic to hip hop since the beginning, but that doesn't mean it can't be seen as a blemish on the culture. I see the unsolicited corporate pandering in a lower-class movement as askew, also. It's really just about lower-class people expressing excitement about their capacity to move up the class-ladder, which, depending on your perspective, can be seen as reasonable, pathetic or reasonably pathetic.
Said it better than me.

coldvein

Banned
OttomanScribe said:
I think that hip hop isn't just one thing. It means lots of different things to lots of different people. I mean some parts will appeal more than others, depending on who listens. I mean I like people like Kweli and the Narcysist because they talk about things that interest me. Some people like that swagger stuff, or the big noting, 'bullsh*** ice-rap' or whatever.

Doesn't mean it isn't hip hop, just means it is a different part of a broad thing. While I think that it is easy to idealise the roots of it all as being a movement with principles and meaning and stuff like that, since the beginning not everyone has seen it that way. Not that I was there at the beginning, but thats how it seems to me.

ottamanscribe: totally on point and agreed. hiphop to me is what it is to me. it's an artform that expresses itself in many ways. some of them i'm down with, some of them i'm not. it is and will be interpreted by a bunch of different people in a bunch of different ways. that's the nature of art - and dare i say it in this context - the nature of POETRY.

kimosabe: thanks for giving me a little bit of back, here.

i come from a certain place and a certain lifestyle. there are things about "rap" that i despise, and i think i've made them mostly known here..don't want to fuck with yall and your enjoyment of the music TOO much. maybe just a lil bit.

fact is that i'm personal friends with a bunch of kids who have quit their dayjobs (bagging groceries, washing dishes, flipping burgers) to spend all of their time writing rhymes and touring america with em, and making enough money with it to do JUST THAT THING. and if you were to look any of these motherfuckers in the eye and talk about gucci or shirts or fashion whatsoever they would laugh in your face.

just where i'm comin from. peace and love.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man is that Lighters song out of place on the EP or what, the fuck is it doing there.

Halfway through, Above the Law is incredible.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
coldvein said:
ottamanscribe: totally on point and agreed. hiphop to me is what it is to me. it's an artform that expresses itself in many ways. some of them i'm down with, some of them i'm not. it is and will be interpreted by a bunch of different people in a bunch of different ways. that's the nature of art - and dare i say it in this context - the nature of POETRY.

kimosabe: thanks for giving me a little bit of back, here.

i come from a certain place and a certain lifestyle. there are things about "rap" that i despise, and i think i've made them mostly known here..don't want to fuck with yall and your enjoyment of the music TOO much. maybe just a lil bit.

fact is that i'm personal friends with a bunch of kids who have quit their dayjobs (bagging groceries, washing dishes, flipping burgers) to spend all of their time writing rhymes and touring america with em, and making enough money with it to do JUST THAT THING. and if you were to look any of these motherfuckers in the eye and talk about gucci or shirts or fashion whatsoever they would laugh in your face.

just where i'm comin from. peace and love.

That's nice. I have friends who are buying new cars every 3 months, touring the world by rapping about what they have and what you don't. Doesn't make my opinion any less or more valid than yours.

Rap and hip-hop is made up of a shitload of flavors. One day fans of those flavors are going to stop hating on each other and realize it's music. This thread is sooooo much better when people are shitting on each other's opinions. It is one thing to say, "I like this, don't like this" but when you go on a campaign against a style, then it becomes lame as hell. Calling a style of rap "Anti-Hip Hop" is a fucking joke too.

I guess you were hating on Run DMC when they did 'My Adidas' too, huh?

coldvein said:
so we disagree. that's fair. to me the big chains and bullshit have always been and should always be just a bonus of the fact that creative cats can get themselves out of rags and come to riches (through their music). yeah, i suppose alot of the time what rappers are concerned with talking about is how bad they are, how good they are..i dig that, that's part of the culture..competition makes people rugged. that's respectable. saying "i have a more itialian shirt on than you" doesn't. or "i have more expensive shoes on than you" doesn't. that's piss in the wind. and that's alot of what rap is today. i'm just saying i don't like it.
I'm confused really. How do we disagree? I just said I'm not disagreeing with you and even if we were, you just agreed with me by saying it's part of the culture lol.

I don't really care what hip hop is to you honestly, I'm just letting you know that fashion has been a big part of the culture for a very long time. Whether or not you accept that is up to you really.

enzo_gt said:
Man is that Lighters song out of place on the EP or what, the fuck is it doing there.

Halfway through, Above the Law is incredible.

It's not even a bad song (soft as fuck though) but man it's out of place on an CD called Hell the sequel.

Em should saved it for His or Royce's solo album. That shit has hit written all over it.

lol.

Recon

Banned
Knux-Future said:
It's not even a bad song (soft as fuck though) but man it's out of place on an CD called Hell the sequel.

Em should saved it for His or Royce's solo album. That shit has hit written all over it.

lol.

I have a hard time understanding why being "soft" is negative in music, only in hip-hop do i ever hear that complaint. Make a song that expresses some real emotions or about a female, then you soft...Not everything thing has to "bang" nor be "grimey".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I have a hard time understanding why being "soft" is negative in music, only in hip-hop do i ever hear that complaint. Make a song that expresses some real emotions or about a female, then you soft...Not everything thing has to "bang" nor be "grimey".
(not specific to Lighters but:) Hearing Royce rhyme about introspective or emotional stuff is just weird, it doesn't suit him very well at all. Same with Em sometimes, because the really emotional lyrics are delivered with an angry tone. And it just sounds weird. This is different from when he delivers frustrated emotions with an angry though, just to be clear.

Usually it's a joke, but there is validity to something sounding way soft for your tastes, like if Too $hort started rhyming on some Drake wine-and-dine shit. That shit would be negatively soft.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
(not specific to Lighters but:) Hearing Royce rhyme about introspective or emotional stuff is just weird, it doesn't suit him very well at all. Same with Em sometimes, because the really emotional lyrics are delivered with an angry tone. And it just sounds weird.

Usually it's a joke, but there is validity to something sounding way soft for your tastes, like if Too $hort started rhyming on some Drake wine-and-dine shit. That shit would be negatively soft.

Oh i know, but em isnt a stranger to introspective rhymes. Its just Royce gets so much shit about talking about his dick or gun, and when he doesnt, someone calls him out on it. I just hate calling out someone as soft, when i think its such a bullshit label for music. Saying he was out of his range makes more sense to me.

Knux-Future said:
Joey fucking spazzed on Loud Noises...

jesus christ.

also Yoda, I was joking about the soft remark...it's almost a meme in here.

I know, im pretty much a regular in Gaf-Hop, i just dislike it because its such a easy insult and doesnt make sense half the time(except for Wiz).
I would say that Lighters is way out of place on this album though. The tone throughout this album just doesnt gel with Lighters.

Edit: Lmao @Royce joking about always talking about his Big Dick, its like he reads gaf. " Did i almost go four bars without talking about my big dick"...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom