• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
Oh i know, but em isnt a stranger to introspective rhymes. Its just Royce gets so much shit about talking about his dick or gun, and when he doesnt, someone calls him out on it. I just hate calling out someone as soft, when i think its such a bullshit label for music. Saying he was out of his range makes more sense to me.
This is true but compare something like Stan to screamy Em talking about the same shit. It's different sounding based on the delivery alone, despite the same kind of content.

Royce said though that on the Slaughterhouse album on shady, he's going to do more introspective stuff because they're doing more of those kinds of songs (which they can now because of no more time restrictions). So we'll see if he can hone his craft a bit.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
This is true but compare something like Stan to screamy Em talking about the same shit. It's different sounding based on the delivery alone, despite the same kind of content.

Royce said though that on the Slaughterhouse album on shady, he's going to do more introspective stuff because they're doing more of those kinds of songs (which they can now because of no more time restrictions). So we'll see if he can hone his craft a bit.

I agree, im a bit tired of Screaming Em, but i will take it over Accent Em. He just needs to calm down because his wordplay is still there IMO.

Termanology - Cameo King II (2011)
G8c5M.jpg

TRACKLIST:

01. DJ Premier Intro
02. I’m The King
03. Another Level (Feat. Sean Price & Ghetto)
04. This Hip Hop (Feat. Sheek Louch & Joell Ortiz)
05. Face Off (Feat. Reks)
06. Crazy (Feat. M.O.P.)
07. 82-92 (Feat. Mac Miller)
08. Say It (Remix) (Feat. Joell Ortiz, Bun B, Saigon & Freeway)
09. Come Around (Remix) (Feat. Talib Kweli & Royce Da 5’9″)
10. ST. Salute (Feat. Ea$y Money & H Blanco)
11. Race Against Time (Feat. Bun B & Josh Xantus)
12. You Take Her (Feat. Freeway & Havoc)
13. Stick Up (Remix) (Feat. Masspike Miles, Sheek Louch & Quest Tha Young’n)
14. Soundoff (Feat. Oh No & Ea$y Money)
15. Ayy (Feat. Joell Ortiz)
16. Duffle Bag Brothers (Feat. Checkmark)
17. RockSTarr (featuring Kali)
18. Keys To The City (Feat. Ea$y Money & Lou Armstrong)
19. Serious Rappin (Feat. Inspectah Deck & Planet Asia)
20. Jealosy & Envy (Feat. Slaine)
21. Fallin (Feat. Freddie Gibbs)
22. Can’t Stop My Shine (Feat. Krumbsnatcha)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PZic05K21k

Not a fan of him at all, never liked his stuff. But this album is tight, just look at the cameos, Jesus! It looks like a Fat Joe album.

Someone asked about how to get into IRC chat earlier, I can't remember, but I'm too lazy to read back.

Easy way(Or at least the way I prefer since I don't want to download anything):

Go to http://02.chat.mibbit.com/

Where it says Connect scroll down all the way until you see Moofspeak[webirc] and click that.

Then where it says Nick enter the name you prefer to use

and where it says Channel put #GAF-HOP in there, then just click connect

illadelph

ReconYoda said:
Lmao @Royce joking about always talking about his Big Dick, its like he reads gaf. " Did i almost go four bars without talking about my big dick"...lol.
I laughed at this, Royce is self aware haha. Also I was listening to Above the Law thinking "holy shit, Em is screaming his face off, he needs to chill the fuck out." What does he do? He ends his verse with "I'd holler at this ho, but now my throat is sore." hahaha it's like they know what we don't like but they do it anyway

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
LMAO, you are an expert troll.

The irony is that the Kreayshawn song is about not wearing designer labels. Right over old coldvein's head. Proof that backpack rap rots your brain.

Real impressions of BME aren't much better than my troll impressions. It's exactly like I said before it released. I'd already heard all the songs without even having to listen. The lyrics are on point, and marshall has a couple standout bars. I just can't stand Royce. One of the bigger douche bags in rap. Come to think of it, he may be Rap Douche Bag #1.

This is coming from a guy who bought his first two solo CDs day 1 with great fury. I wasn't always a Royce hater. He turned me into one.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
The irony is that the Kreayshawn song is about not wearing designer labels. Right over old coldvein's head. Proof that backpack rap rots your brain.

Real impressions of BME aren't much better than my troll impressions. It's exactly like I said before it released. I'd already heard all the songs without even having to listen. The lyrics are on point, and marshall has a couple standout bars. I just can't stand Royce. One of the bigger douche bags in rap. Come to think of it, he may be Rap Douche Bag #1.

This is coming from a guy who bought his first two solo CDs day 1 with great fury. I wasn't always a Royce hater. He turned me into one.

I think its funny you gave it that much of a listen. Kreayshawn and V-Nasty annoying and talentless, but i guess if Flocka and lil B get fans, they can too.

kamspy

Anyone ever heard of these guys?

Dayton Family - What's on My Mind
Dayton Family - Goin' Through a Thang
Dayton Family - Flint Town

This might be a little too real for GAF tho.....

ReconYoda said:
I think its funny you gave it that much of a listen. Kreayshawn and V-Nasty annoying and talentless, but i guess if Flocka and lil B get fans, they can too.

It says it clearly in the opening hook....Like, 5 seconds into the song. Ironically, it's better than anything on BME. Annoying and talentless... well. Kreayshawn probably already has more money than Immortal Tech, Canibus and Royce pre Shady combined.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kamspy said:

He would have to f up pretty bad to screw up the pass I give him for his songs on the GTA3 soundtrack.

Recon

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
He would have to f up pretty bad to screw up the pass I give him for his songs on the GTA3 soundtrack.

Royce is fine on BME, Kampsy is just old and Royce doesnt "Go Hard In Da Paint"

coldvein

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
That's nice. I have friends who are buying new cars every 3 months, touring the world by rapping about what they have and what you don't. Doesn't make my opinion any less or more valid than yours.

Rap and hip-hop is made up of a shitload of flavors. One day fans of those flavors are going to stop hating on each other and realize it's music. This thread is sooooo much better when people are shitting on each other's opinions. It is one thing to say, "I like this, don't like this" but when you go on a campaign against a style, then it becomes lame as hell. Calling a style of rap "Anti-Hip Hop" is a fucking joke too.

I guess you were hating on Run DMC when they did 'My Adidas' too, huh?

alright, dude. i'm going to attempt to respond to this. thanks for letting me know how you feel, i'm really not trying to be a dick.

as i've tried to say, and as you pointed out specifically, rap has alot of flavors. i like them all, but only one really resonates with me. i don't know what that color is, let's say it's blue. much of what exists that is ANTI that. i don't see why you've got a problem with that. maybe i stepped over the limit a bit to call certain artists "anti-hiphop".. but the said people are anti-what i like about hiphop. what i think is good about it. why i think it has redemptive qualities. you can dig what i'm saying.

and as for your friends who rap? who buy too many cars? who don't give a shit about anything but their money? good on them. they're doing their thing and i respect the motivation. i know where they're coming from. but rapping about how many cars they have, and how much fur is lining their gucci jackets, is only making problems WORSE. again, you can say it's just music. i'd say it's even less than music, it's fluffy bullshit. that's just my taste.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kamspy said:

Did you like his last mixtape?

Here are a shot from a music festival down here in Houston today. Big Boi, Bun B, and Trae were the only rappers there, IIRC. Weezer and Bun were the headliners. This is Bun on-stage. I heard Bun and Big did International Players Anthem together.

http://lockerz.com/s/107724437

No I didn't go. Too freaking hot and I was not going to sit through 30 rock and alternative acts that I had no idea who they were to see Big Boi.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gucci Gucci has ya'll that far on tilt?

Kreayshawn clearly won.
coldvein said:
as i've tried to say, and as you pointed out specifically, rap has alot of flavors. i like them all, but only one really resonates with me.
Which "one" is that? Who are your favorite artists?

IrishNinja

Kimosabae said:
I think Vein just wants to hold the culture to what he feels is a higher standard. No doubt, materialism has been intrinsic to hip hop since the beginning, but that doesn't mean it can't be seen as a blemish on the culture. I see the unsolicited corporate pandering in a lower-class movement as askew, also. It's really just about lower-class people expressing excitement about their capacity to move up the class-ladder, which, depending on your perspective, can be seen as reasonable, pathetic or reasonably pathetic.

this was a great post.
i remember dudes riding the bus around town with me down south, rocking new air jordans and jerseys and shit, before getting off to work at mc D's. yeah, you know it's a problem of priorities (then again, my broke ass mighta gotten more tail if i wasnt there to get to a comic book store, haha) but a) its partly that shit jay-z and dudes talk about, about dressing the part/seeing yourself where you wanna be, and even if that's a fucked up approach b) it would exist in the hood if hip-hop never did. its culturally intertwined, sure, but it was also there before the genre.

if it bothers you, go listen to some introspective shit, there's a lotta quality to be found - i dig when MC's do anti-materialistic shit like one mic and go against the grain too, when im in the mood for that. but if that doesn't work? go volunteer at a shelter or take a puff and read a philosophy book, shit works for me and its good to have more than just hip-hop in your life.

Kimosabae

Banned
ReconYoda said:
" Did i almost go four bars without talking about my big dick"...lol.

Seems much of the EP has self-aware quotables such as this. I've been noticing this about the media in general a lot, lately, in fact. Social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and forums seem to be making media personalities self-conscious and they're constantly addressing the most seemingly obscure criticisms.

Not sure if that's good or bad.

IrishNinja

i say if it gets dudes to talk about more than their junk, or tired coke game raps, etc, it could be good.

if it just makes them more sensitive/whiny/faux-conscious like ye gets with some of his tracks, it's bad (for me).

Kimosabae

Banned
IrishNinja said:
i say if it gets dudes to talk about more than their junk, or tired coke game raps, etc, it could be good.

if it just makes them more sensitive/whiny/faux-conscious like ye gets with some of his tracks, it's bad (for me).

Agreed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listened to that House of Balloons, it's pretty good. Since I don't prefer more of the smangin' kind of songs (or R&B that much as a whole) anyways, Frank Ocean's LP was much more enjoyable because it was less laid back. Still very good.

Got me to thinking, is there one artist that all of GAF-Hop actually agrees on and likes? I would say J. Cole, but I'm not even sure of that.

GrapeApes

enzo_gt said:
Got me to thinking, is there one artist that all of GAF-Hop actually agrees on and likes? I would say J. Cole, but I'm not even sure of that.
I would doubt it. But I think we can agree Birdman is horrible. I've never met anyone who is an admitted Birdman fan.

kamspy

GrapeApes said:
I would doubt it. But I think we can agree Birdman is horrible. I've never met anyone who is an admitted Birdman fan.

Just to prove that you can be a connoisseur of awesome rap, I love Gucci Mane, Flocka, OJ, Tity, and hate Birdman.

coldvein

Banned
K.Jack said:
Which "one" is that? Who are your favorite artists?

vast.
m1.
pos.
el-p.
cudi.
sage.
cecil otter.
mac lethal.

yeah!!!!!

edit: pardon me, i forgot some of the men of the hour...installed upwards.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
Listened to that House of Balloons, it's pretty good. Since I don't prefer more of the smangin' kind of songs (or R&B that much as a whole) anyways, Frank Ocean's LP was much more enjoyable because it was less laid back. Still very good.

I can name two regulars who aren't big Cole fans.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I doubt I'm one of the "two", so up your count to three.

I don't get that dude's hype, at all.

IrishNinja

siddx said:
The V-nasty/Kreayshawn thing is just idiocy. Gucci Gucci is a decently catchy song with a great beat and worthless lyrics, but everything else these two put out has been complete garbage. HHgaf just likes to be weird as fuck sometimes and jump on selfmade bandwagons, even if those bandwagons are covered in horseshit and on fire.

a lotta truth this page, a lot from my man siddx.

HiResDes

(CLICK ARTWORK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS)

*(From Left To Right, now in Ranking Order)*

1. Astronote - Weapon of the Future LP - One of my top ten favorite releases retail or otherwise released this year. It's melodic, it's soulful, it features an afro-beat track and the rapping never at any point lags behind. It's consistently aggressive, and each bar is always delivered with a passionate fervor reminiscent of rap in its golden-era. It's a hypnotic head-banger, boom bap shit for sure.
2. Skeme- The Statement - Dare I call this smartly crafted nonsense, hype rap over soulful beats. Skeme has an extremely raspy voice that may turn some people off, he almost sounds like an intellectual version of Plies...But I enjoy it. It really adds a sort of southern sounding bravado to the west-coast MC's delivery. If you don't try to think about it too much you will greatly appreciate this release. Just sit back or get in your whip and blast this shit.
3. ScienZe- Simply Aesthetic EP - I used to call this guy the east-coast version of Blu, but honestly his flow might be even smoother and more reminiscent of the spoken-word poets from the area. Multiple syllabic words are child's play for this guy, and there's definitely something scientific about the way he crafts his downtempo soul-rap masterpieces. I just wish the EP was longer.
4. C-San- Game Time - Reminds me of Dom Kennedy, but with more overall aggression, and a less articulated delivery. This is also largely weed-rap I guess, but it's more concealed and features a larger variety of ancillary topics. It also features a few upcoming soulful singers that really add a lovely element to the tracks.
5. Wais P- It's in the Game - Some gangsta mixtape shit reminiscent of D-Block in it's heydey. Turn this shit up and ride around mean mugging motherfuckers.

IrishNinja

^excellent as always, res. good looks man, and just when i was working on my backlog too .____.

GAF-HOP that's somehow not on IRC right now: what's your favorite Redman album? going through a reggie kick, realized i need more than just Dare iz a darkside in my life.

HiResDes

Doc's Da Name 2000...I had that shit when it first dropped and I blasted it everywhere around my catholic elementary school in this little boombox I had right after the final bell rang.

IrishNinja

that's the one with "ill bee dat!", yeah? if so, i loved that album, video for that was great too..time to go grab that album again.

this is what happens when i didnt keep a list back in the day, shit would get loaned/jacked and there i was buying low end theory for like the 3rd fucking time. also, get into the IRC if youre not, res.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Doc's Da Name 2000...I had that shit when it first dropped and I blasted it everywhere around my catholic elementary school in this little boombox I had right after the final bell rang.

Join the chat man.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GrapeApes said:
Oh there are plenty that we could name that everyone hates (Plies, Soulja Boy, etc.), but I'm wondering if there is someone that everyone unanimously agrees is good, and there isn't that one person who is too hip for them. We've got Jay haters, Em haters, Ye haters, Nas haters, fuck I think I've even read someone spill some nonsense about Pac once in this thread or another.

KRIT? CunninLynguists? Cube? Joell Ortiz? Shad? Haters stand up.

Also, props for the list as usual HRD. I think this time around I'll check out the ScienZe EP since I haven't heard anything from him. Better late than never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom