• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Ashton looking!
2rer6eh.gif

I cant blame him. That's that "let me take a mental snapshot for posterity" look.

HiResDes said:
(CLICK ARTWORK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS)

5. Wais P- It's in the Game - Some gangsta mixtape shit reminiscent of D-Block in it's heydey. Turn this shit up and ride around mean mugging motherfuckers.

Boom! I posted this album a while back, good stuff. Love the energy behind it as you pointed out, solid album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IrishNinja said:
man, i love me some res + siddx but that's gonna be one...eclectic-ass mix to have in the new op.
We need to get Shinobi drunk again to do his portion of the OP. Or at least to get another post of the year from him.

kamspy said:
Nah, I'm just scared everyone at the Lupe show is gonna be wearing shades in a dark venue bumping into everyone and shit. Easy way to roll an ankle.
Last Lupe show I went to was full of either bogan white people or Muslims. Was weird.

enzo_gt said:
We need to get Shinobi drunk again to do his portion of the OP. Or at least to get another post of the year from him.
I'm drunk right now, just got of my dj gig. Heather B was there :) What truth you want?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ShinobiFist said:
I'm drunk right now, just got of my dj gig. Heather B was there :) What truth you want?
Speak some knowledge on what recommendations from the year so far, or must listens you'd give to people if they were to enter the new GAF-HOP thread.

I think CRS's idea of "if you like this artist you will like these." I can certainly see myself using that.

enzo_gt said:
Speak some knowledge on what recommendations from the year so far, or must listens you'd give to people if they were to enter the new GAF-HOP thread.

I think CRS's idea of "if you like this artist you will like these." I can certainly see myself using that.
Okay, let me wright that shit on Notepad.....You asking for some truth beyond light, nah mean. Give me a sec.

The OP should be sponsor by 4loko, Colt45 Blast and Old E. Should I film my ass typing this shit while drunk and ranting on my DJ Spot? Let me know..

HiResDes

As for the OP I wouldn't do it like it that, if you wanna link to link to mixtape review posts or single mega-Shinobi posts that's cool, but including another favorite artist list seems a bit much. Nobody is really gonna read it, so I probably wouldn't even bother with any of it really. Just my two cents.

DominoKid

why not just do it like the Black Culture thread where there's some basic questions that you answer when you come in so people know a little about you/what to expect, except tailor the questions for rap music (favorite artist, favorite album, etc)

HiResDes said:
As for the OP I wouldn't do it like it that, if you wanna link to link to mixtape review posts or single mega-Shinobi posts that's cool, but including another favorite artist list seems a bit much. Nobody is really gonna read it, so I probably wouldn't even bother with any of it really. Just my two cents.
True, bvut should I rant and film random shit drunk? I'm down for being quoted, but we need a 4loko logo up in there.

HiResDes said:
BTW, I shamelessly copped and downloaded about 10 total albums from you admittedly one day.
Glad you like the stuff, same form everyone. People come through all the time here. Ya got me into Danny Brown, J.Cole and shit. And Toku comes through with the science.

LOZLINK

Man, I just listened to Monster for the first time in a few months and I really forgot how good Jays verse was.

Sasquatch, Godzilla, King Kong
Lochness, Goblin, Ghoul, a zombie with no conscience
Question what do all these things have in common
Everybody knows I’m a muthaf-cking monster

(what he's trying to say is that all feared creatures fear him since he's THE monster)

Conquer, stomp ya, stop your silly nonsense- He'll fuck you up if you don't stop
None of you n-ggas know where the swamp is- Swamp is the ghetto
None of you n-ggas have seen the carnage that I’ve seen- He grew up a very tough life
I still here fiends scream in my dream- Double entendre, I don't even know how though
Murder murder in black convertibles- Possible Ja rule diss?
I kill a block I murder avenues- He doesn't give a fuck
Rape and pillage a village, women and children- He's a monster
Everybody wanna know what my achilles heel is- No one knows his weakn...
LOVE I dont get enough of it- loooove. He blatantly gives out his weekeness to his enemies
All I get is these vampires and blood suckers- Most people that come to him want cash
All I see is these n-ggas I’ve made millionnaires- people he brought up....
Milling about, spilling there feelings in the air- getting all touchy with him and shit
All I see is these fake f-cks with no fangs- soft monsters, ie Wiz khalifa
Tryna draw blood with my ice cold veins- he does Heroin
I smell a massacre- He's coming raw
Seems to be the only way to back you bastards up- beware of jay

Quick rundown for people not getting the genius of the verse

Detox

Life is Good is almost done and the first single is called Nasty. He is returning to nasty Nas for his first track. Music for survivors:
“I look at a lot of us like survivors. This is music for survivors. This is the keep your hope, to change your mind state when you don’t think it’s good. It is, man, no matter what. So when they get a taste of it, they gon’ feel exactly what it’s coming from and they gon’ know what it is. Take it from a man who experienced it.”

Nas is coming back to dominate hiphop.

Oh and everyone jump on the IRC channel, I hope we're all watching E3.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So Big KRIT is going to get a release for $$$ on iTunes.

5 tracks from his free album for sale. What kind of sense does that make? You can go to his site and get the album for free, or you can pay for 5 tracks from the same album.

tracklist -
01 Sookie Now f. David Banner
02 Time Machine f. Chamillionaire
03 Country Shit Remix f. Ludacris and Bun B.
04 The Vent
05 Moon & Stars (rmx) f. Devin The Dude, Curren$y & Killa Kyleon

20110524-KRIT.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:
Sarcasm? LOL, I've written better shit

C'mon. Not to discount the latter half, but I'll never get the hate for that verse. It's legit .

And it's not like you're a snob when it comes to lyrics, either. 90% of the shit I've listened to that you've suggested, isn't even close to the caliber of that verse.

Tokubetsu

dskillzhtown said:
So Big KRIT is going to get a release for $$$ on iTunes.

5 tracks from his free album for sale. What kind of sense does that make? You can go to his site and get the album for free, or you can pay for 5 tracks from the same album.

tracklist -
01 Sookie Now f. David Banner
02 Time Machine f. Chamillionaire
03 Country Shit Remix f. Ludacris and Bun B.
04 The Vent
05 Moon & Stars (rmx) f. Devin The Dude, Curren$y & Killa Kyleon

20110524-KRIT.jpg

To support an artist you enjoy who gave you two albums for free? Also better quality than the mp3s he dropped.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Tokubetsu said:
To support an artist you enjoy who gave you two albums for free? Also better quality than the mp3s he dropped.

You could have supported him by buying the CD, the T-shirt, or going to a show already. Just don't see how this makes any sense at this point. Meaning I can't see many people buying this, unless they knew nothing about the free album.

I am just being real. I love me some KRIT and bought the shirt, downloaded the album, spread the word about him, but I am not compelled in the slightest to buy this.

Might be a symptom of getting so much free too. The dollar value of rap is close to nothing nowadays because everything is freaking free.

Got my Rock the Bells tickets for SF show.... It's gonna be insane!!

They just added Common too, he's gonna be performing all of Be. Not his best album but really f'in great nonetheless

Natural

RBelong2Us said:

They just added Common too, he's gonna be performing all of Be. Not his best album but really f'in great nonetheless

My cuz over in the states went to a Rock the Bells a few years ago, said it was amazing, so jealous.

Out of interest, what do you reckon Common's best album is?

Jay Sosa

IrishNinja said:
every now and then, my boy (huge pac stan) gets me to say this when we do the old-ass biggie vs pac as GOAT argument... then i go home, listen to some shit like All eyez on me and realize what foolishness i was talking.

Because AEOM shits all over everything Biggie has ever done right? And it's not even his best work (it's my favorite but I'd say that MATW is "better")

Rofl@the Krit EP: The fuck is that supposed to be? Why not release the 5 track fro free and charge for R4 IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm a fan of Jay's verse too on Monster, but really, WTT won't have trouble topping that. So Appalled is the bar that needs to be raised, and it'll be really hard to.

Even CyHi came hard on that song. One of my favourite songs from last year.

MATT LEINART

CRS

RBelong2Us said:

Nice. Hopefully mine are arriving soon then. I'm a little skeptical on the location though. There's supposed to be 4 stages and I don't know how they're gonna pull that off. Was also surprised that there was no pit section and all seating in the front.

Where'd you find out about Common?

Hey Hip Hop Gaf. I have been kicking around an idea in my head for a while now....

Basically I want to take my wife on a hip hop tour of the US. I don't think it will be for a while (gotta save up) but what do you think would be some must-go-to places? Like if you had to choose just a few? I am talking hip hop landmarks...

I would try and organise to go see some performances (missed Mos when he came to Sydney, haven't seen Common or Jay etc.) but it would be too difficult to try and organise the whole trip around that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOZLINK said:
You guys actually like that jay verse? I was just fucking around :lol
It still gets way more shit than it deserves.

spindashing said:
Jay's So Appalled Verse >>>>>> Jay's Monster Verse
Word. Last time I ever heard Jay sound hungry on a track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Been listening to that T&A too, it's really, really good. I can't even describe the sound in words really. Its a mix of so many things, and this weird balance between BS rap and some real life topics as well. Enjoying it a lot.

IrishNinja

Jay Sosa said:
Because AEOM shits all over everything Biggie has ever done right? And it's not even his best work (it's my favorite but I'd say that MATW is "better")

agreed about MATW, you crazy @ BIG though man.

ps LOZLINK needs to break more verses down to the molecules for me, that was great.

Detox

OttomanScribe said:
Hey Hip Hop Gaf. I have been kicking around an idea in my head for a while now....

Basically I want to take my wife on a hip hop tour of the US. I don't think it will be for a while (gotta save up) but what do you think would be some must-go-to places? Like if you had to choose just a few? I am talking hip hop landmarks...

I would try and organise to go see some performances (missed Mos when he came to Sydney, haven't seen Common or Jay etc.) but it would be too difficult to try and organise the whole trip around that.
I have no idea what those areas are like now but they are probably dangerous for tourists. Personally I've always wanted to visit Queensbridge one day so many of my favourite MC's come from there. Not sure if it would be good to visit places like that I would assume they are just housing blocks. I've agreed with some friends that one year we will go to New York and visit some hiphop clubs and try to get tickets for Rock the Bells, that would probably be a better hiphop orientated trip. Unless there is a hiphop museum or something, I know KRS always wanted something like that.

Detox said:
I have no idea what those areas are like now but they are probably dangerous for tourists. Personally I've always wanted to visit Queensbridge one day so many of my favourite MC's come from there. Not sure if it would be good to visit places like that I would assume they are just housing blocks. I've agreed with some friends that one year we will go to New York and visit some hiphop clubs and try to get tickets for Rock the Bells, that would probably be a better hiphop orientated trip. Unless there is a hiphop museum or something, I know KRS always wanted something like that.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100520/en_ynews/ynews_en2165

So close, so close......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom