• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dskillzhtown said:
Did you listen to the mixtape as well? I liked a few of those tracks more than some of the ones picked for the album.
I thought you said Trunk Muzik was the mixtape and 0-60 was the album? Listened to the mixtape and it was entertaining. Gonna give it a few days to sink in but really liking Love Is Not Enough, Trunk Muzik and FU. Already heard I Wish/Pop The Trunk already, which I thought were dope.

Haven't listened to 0-60 yet.

Damn this is like the 8th bandwagon I've jumped on in the past month.

CRS

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Oh really. 0-60 right? That's what I was talking in my previous post, lol.
"Trunk Muzik" is the mixtape.
"Trunk Muzik 0-60" is the retail album.

To those that liked Trunk Muzik, try Rittz' latest album. I kinda prefer him over Yela.

m3k

DominoKid said:
tumblr_lmlezmmTP31qgv0d4.jpg

so did people actually like The Renaissance? cause i thought it was just average.

it had a few really good songs on it... im not a deity, im far from perfect see...

HiResDes

I like Rittz's concept better, but I must say I love Yelawolf as well and that he had the better release overall...I concede, but damn if White Jesus isn't compelling

enzo_gt said:
I thought you said Trunk Muzik was the mixtape and 0-60 was the album? Listened to the mixtape and it was entertaining. Gonna give it a few days to sink in but really liking Love Is Not Enough, Trunk Muzik and FU. Already heard I Wish/Pop The Trunk already, which I thought were dope.

Haven't listened to 0-60 yet.

Damn this is like the 8th bandwagon I've jumped on in the past month.

Kendrick Lamar is next...C'mon you know you want to download The EP and give him another chance

HiResDes said:
SOrry I missed this, but yes The Renaissance was so fucking dope!

Yessir, I agree. The Renaissance was a pleasant surprise. I couldn't find the music video for Gettin' Up on Youtube yesterday which was disappointing, I remember it being a good video.

Tokubetsu

"i don’t wanna spoil too much for you, but.. you’re on a plane right now to the east coast to work with kanye west & jay-z. it’s all working out kid. you made it. "

Part of a blurb Frank Ocean wrote on his tumblr.

CRS

Tokubetsu said:
"i don’t wanna spoil too much for you, but.. you’re on a plane right now to the east coast to work with kanye west & jay-z. it’s all working out kid. you made it. "

Nice. I've had Acura Integurl on repeat this past week. Wish it was on the release for nostalgia, ULTRA.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:

Frank Ocean + Kanye West seems like an awesome combination.

Oh and WTT July 4th, hype.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:

Ugh. Not Ye n Jay.

Happy for Frank though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Kanye/Frank Ocean Collabo is going to be great. Great because it has a great artist like Kanye West behind it's greatness.

HiResDes

Yeah I think it's ridiculous for anybody to think that Frank Ocean is above Conway West, no matter how good his single mixtape was...Shit is crazy, ya'll are bonkers

IrishNinja

siddx said:
I am looking forward to Detox.

siddx said:
Currency is boring as fuck.

i am so conflicted @ you sometimes, man. *edit: that currensy track was indeed kinda boring.

damn, i think i somehow missed the renaissance, copping now...the frank ocean one you guys are on about, that's nostalgia yeah?

ps hip-hop backlog now < 10 GB finally

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
i am so conflicted @ you sometimes, man. *edit: that currensy track was indeed kinda boring.

damn, i think i somehow missed the renaissance, copping now...the frank ocean one you guys are on about, that's nostalgia yeah?

ps hip-hop backlog now < 10 GB finally

Let me help you with that. Delete anything HiRes tells you to listen to that siddx, jekki, pheonixdark, myself or kamspy have not personally verified. There, now you only have like two things in your backlog!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Tokubetsu said:
Let me help you with that. Delete anything HiRes tells you to listen to that siddx, jekki, pheonixdark, myself or kamspy have not personally verified. There, now you only have like two things in your backlog!

looool.

IrishNinja

verbally throwin dudes off buildings again

couldnt get into deltron or busdriver, so those were fast. a few are just placeholders since i realized i lacked digital copies & need to check the quality, but...still a long way to go. @ 1GB of oddfuture discography alone.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
Check

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
IrishNinja said:
verbally throwin dudes off buildings again

couldnt get into deltron or busdriver, so those were fast. a few are just placeholders since i realized i lacked digital copies & need to check the quality, but...still a long way to go. @ 1GB of oddfuture discography alone.

I'll help you out some more

Listening to Mayday is like listening to a bunch of people who don't know what the fuck they want to do musically. Wreckonize is dope as hell though, get his album.

9th wonder just keeps making the same beat over and over so just listen to some of his older shit instead.

E 1999 Eternal is a fucking classic

Deliverance is very under-appreciated, Bubba stepped his shit up for this one.

Copywrite is a great emcee who suffers from the same disease so many other underground artist do, "noearforgoodinstrumentalexia"

De La Soul is one of the greatest hip hop groups of all time goddamnit, everything from their debut up to Mosiac Thump are classics, and Bionix is very solid too.

Muggs vs. GZA features two talented people who suck outside of their group setting in 90% of cases.

Premo needs to stop giving his beats out to every bum with a half stick of gum to pay him with. It's diluting his status in the top 5 producers of all time.

El-P is like anal sex and bondage, an acquired taste some people either immediately love or hate, but with an open mind, you can grow to appreciate it.

Halo's album is very dull, he's got talent, and there are a few good songs, but very little stands out.

Blu makes me want to stab a fucking baby in the face.

Hi Tek is a very solid but unremarkable producer. Chances are you'll like the beat, but it wont blow you away.

Jada is annoying as fuck. One dimensional boring as stereotypical new york rapper.

Jay Electronica is destined for "remember that one dude?" status

If you like Jay Z you'll like american gangster. You probably also like getting punched in the eye.

Jean Grae is one of the few female rappers I don't want to throw something heavy at.

Mood Muzik, featuring 100% more Budden being an emo bitch

K-Os is good enough, whether thats a good or bad thing I dont know.

Krit Wuz Here is brilliant, but seeing as how Krit is my ex's favorite new artist and I just dumped her for cheating on me, I am on a Krit blackout for a while.

Large Professor never really impressed me, but he's got some decent stuff

Madlib is madlib is madlib

MFDOOM is a love it or not really care either way for it type of dude

Supa Dupe Fly is where her worthwhile shit begins and ends

Nas is coming...to do liquor commercials to pay for child support.

Ghostface and I Can't Believe It's Not Ghostface!

RZA lost his touch when Quentin Tarintino started giving him handjobs for movie scores

Scarface is the fucking man when it comes to music, but i'll never forgot watching an interview with him where he was slouched so far down in his chair he looked like a fucking idiot.

Shad has a lot of potential, half of TSOL was amazing, and the other half was a mix of good and boring.

Slaughterhouse is Kamspy's favorite band in the whole world

Talib Kweli is a vampire who needs Mos around to feed off of, otherwise he's boring as hell.

DOC needs to get that surgery so he can get his damn voice back and show these west coast rappers how its done.

The Illz needs to hurry the fuck up with his full length before I lose interest. The pursuit is brilliant.

Magoo is the discount wal mart version of Q-Tip, and proof that anyone can be a rapper with the right connections

Waka Flocka makes baby jesus want to kill himself

When I listen to Wale, I always say afterwards "I think I liked it...but I don't remember a damn thing about it."

HiResDes

Recently I've been really feeling the latest Edo G, Zeroh, and Black Cobain a bunch...But I must admit this new Shabazz Palaces is growing one me, although nothing could ever quite live up to Of Light.

IrishNinja

you're my dude siddx, but these killed me:

siddx said:
Nas is coming...to do liquor commercials to pay for child support.

Ghostface and I Can't Believe It's Not Ghostface!

hahaha, fuckin clown. i love it.

Shad has a lot of potential, half of TSOL was amazing, and the other half was a mix of good and boring.

i agree (liked old prince better) but that's some weird b-side i found called zaman? meant to check it out.

Talib Kweli is a vampire who needs Mos around to feed off of, otherwise he's boring as hell.

i really have given up on his solo work, its just gutter rainbows and the one he did with madlib.

im gonna assume the other stuff wasnt worth mentioning...really wanna have this cleaned up this month, i hate not downloading shinobi/etc recommendations for fear of adding to this.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Recently I've been really filming the latest Edo G, Zeroh, and Black Cobain a bunch...But I must admit this new Shabazz Palaces is growing one me, although nothing could ever quite live up to Of Light.

Speaking another language right now.

overcast

Damn. I've been gone for some days gaf-hop. I had to do all my fun graduation activities. Tell me what's up. How is hell the sequel? Any news about good artists?

zychi

Banned
Saw someone post that Bubba Sparx Deliverance was underrated. I loved that album, any word on where the hell Timbaland has been? I haven't head a good beat(that i know of) or a chorus from him in a few years. Did he just give up music or is he just producing shit lately? My google-fu is failing me.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
"Long ass post"

I pretty much agree with every single thing you posted. Except i think Kampsy's favorite group is Bad Meets Evil, i hear he likes those guys.

Edit: Its also funny that Toku says to have himself and kampy verify something like they are the harbinger of good taste. Wacka.Flocka.Flame. Wocka.Flocka.Flame.

Tokubetsu

ReconYoda said:
I pretty much agree with every single thing you posted. Except i think Kampsy's favorite group is Bad Meets Evil, i hear he likes those guys.

Edit: Its also funny that Toku says to have himself and kampy verify something like they are the harbinger of good taste. Wacka.Flocka.Flame. Wocka.Flocka.Flame.

Says the Lupe Fiasco fan.

IrishNinja

what a weird choice to make binary.
you saw flockaveli in the backlog, i wanna try shit for myself before picking a side. hopefully it'll go better than what ive heard of gucci mane so far.

ps Diverse is pretty fun so far. what ive got of primo here is mostly old crooklyn cuts which can be cool but i never got into his adlib on em.

LOZLINK

kamspy said:
hk49T.jpg

EDIT: and some old school West Coast shit. Gotta give him points for that.
I'm way too high for this, I saw this and was like, fuck, siddx likes Jansport backpacks?
m3k said:
ill letchu know when i go for tickets, i think im obliged to go haha friends of mine went to the last one and they all said it was crazy

i missed out on lauryn hill that year as well, not a great year for shows haha
Sweet, I'll let you know as well. This year has been pretty lackluster for good rap concerts tbh

coldvein

Banned
i know i don't have many friends in here.. but i'm still listening to el-p's "ILL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD". anybody else? production is twisted, lyrics are dark and awesome. sad for us that homeboy puts out one album every six years..

Tokubetsu

coldvein said:
i know i don't have many friends in here.. but i'm still listening to el-p's "ILL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD". anybody else? production is twisted, lyrics are dark and awesome. sad for us that homeboy puts out one album every six years..

Love Habeas Corpses and most of that album really. You have no idea how right my head is screwed on...

That first track is amazing too, especially if you're a smoker/recreational drug user.

coldvein

Banned
glad that someone has their eyes open to it. rock. prolly the best rap record in the last 7-ish years? i'd like to hear a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom