• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Jay Sosa said:
:lol It's official someone bodysnatched Eminem and used his status to make people believe he made an awesome record. Yes I know I'm repeating myself but whatever.

First single comes out:

Me: Wait a minute, weren't you guys saying he's back and the record is brilliant. This is some cheesy and awful shit.

GAF: Dude! It's just one single, the album is his best since the MMLP!

Me: Ah ok my bad..

NEXT is released, is even worse than the first one and comes with a cheesy video as well.

Me: Now what, this is even worse than the first track!

GAF: Well it's because of Rihanna, but all the other songs are all creative and shit!

NEXT single comes out and samples Haddaway...well tbh I'm at loss for words but I'm sure apart from maybe the 3 worst singles by an major artists I heard this year the album is contender for AOTY.

Yeah I know nobody cares and like the old Em I just don't give fuck

Wait your beef is the beat it samples? That is probably his strongest verse on the whole album in terms of lyrics, flow, and energy but your beef is that it samples Haddaway?

Why don't you listen to the actual album and stop listening to what GAF has to say.

Jay Sosa

Yeah my beef is with the sample/music so what? if the beat is as bad as this one I don't give a fuck what the fuck he says.

And I listened to all his angry rants on his shitty single before I'm pretty sure it's the same on this one. Waaah I'm all angry and hard all the misunderstood teenagers will love my shit!

Why don't you listen to the actual album and stop listening to what GAF has to say.

I heard 3 songs, all of them were completely horrible..why in the world should I listen to the album?

I mean yeah maybe all the Solja Boy tracks besides his singles are all real awesome but I think I'll take my chances and pass.

*sings* YOU'RE NOT ALONE UUUHUUU

effzee

Jay Sosa said:
Yeah my beef is with the sample/music so what? if the beat is as bad as this one I don't give a fuck what the fuck he says.

And I listened to all his angry rants on his shitty single before I'm pretty sure it's the same on this one. Waaah I'm all angry and hard all the misunderstood teenagers will love my shit!

I heard 3 songs, all of them were completely horrible..why in the world should I listen to the album?

I mean yeah maybe all the Solja Boy tracks besides his singles are all real awesome but I think I'll take my chances and pass.

*sings* YOU'RE NOT ALONE UUUHUUU

You keep waiting for Gaming-Age or whoever else you are listening to, to tell you how the album is. If you are that interested in finding out if its good or not you listen to the album. Its free. There are 17 tracks on the album. You heard 3 singles and think the album is garbage and thats cool but I don't get your point. And who's angry rants did you listen to? Who is all hard and misunderstood? Eminem? Who are you talking about? Most of the album is about drug addiction. Soulja Boy tracks? Honestly what are you talking about?

5122Qt6GBKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anybody got this? The production is entirely by UK Producer ENDEMIC who is from Nottingham.

Kimosabae

Banned
Recovery = *Thumbs Down*

Jay: I'm with the other guy. If you're gonna shit on Recovery, have the integrity to listen to the whole album first. You can't make worthwhile extrapolations about an album off 3 singles.

spindashing said:
a quote a few pages back which I missed at the time but now see it. I dig this. Anything from Cage that is similar because I can see myself bumping this shit for days. :lol :lol

'Hell's Winter' is great (IMO), but listening to it shows clear signs of Cage dulling his edge with tracks like "Shoot Frank", "Stripes" and "Scenester". 'Depart From Me' is aptly titled because it denotes the final transition. Though most hate DFM, you might like it, since you like Kudi, and you seemed to like that Cage & Kudi track.

So, no, AFAIK, as far as the edge and tone of 'Movies' it is unique in his discography.

Almost two weeks and I'm still bumpin' this shit all day every day.

Jay Sosa

effzee said:
You keep waiting for Gaming-Age or whoever else you are listening to, to tell you how the album is. If you are that interested in finding out if its good or not you listen to the album. Its free. There are 17 tracks on the album. You heard 3 singles and think the album is garbage and thats cool but I don't get your point. And who's angry rants did you listen to? Who is all hard and misunderstood? Eminem? Who are you talking about? Most of the album is about drug addiction. Soulja Boy tracks? Honestly what are you talking about?

I was talking about that I just can't believe that if 3 if 3 tracks I heard are terrible the other 14 will be brilliant that's all. So I said: All the Solja Boy tracks I heard are awful so I just assume his albums are terrible as well...all the Eminem tracks from this album I heard are horrible so I just assume the album is terrible as well. Not sure what's not to get with that comparison? Or is it just a big coincidence?

And on the tracks I heard thus far Eminem always sounds like he's mad, and that's not just me. An excerpt from the rapreviews page:
You either root for Eminem or rout him. Gone are the weird accents, and in comes a voice that occasionally sounds like Marshall Mathers, but mostly like an old deaf drill sergeant. Seriously, he shouts on "Recovery" - a lot. He even says at one point, "Why am I yelling at air?" and it's a fair enough question. Yet, though I find it annoying, another hails it as passionate/inspiring.

That's what I meant with angry rants, everytime I hear one of his new tracks he's making LOUD NOISES.

Kimosabae said:
Recovery = *Thumbs Down*

Jay: I'm with the other guy. If you're gonna shit on Recovery, have the integrity to listen to the whole album first. You can't make worthwhile extrapolations about an album off 3 singles.

How the times have changed..I remember people calling albums mediocre because they had one weak track on it and some fillers on it, now I should believe that a great album has 3 tracks on it that would put Wocka Flocka to shame? Nah, I ain't buying that.

Even the Roots album left a bitter taste in my mouth with the unbelievable mediocre last two tracks (well, one was a bonus joint).

Maybe it's because I'm one of few people that still listen to albums in their entirety not just the one two best tracks like most people seem to do nowadays.

effzee

Jay Sosa said:
I was talking about that I just can't believe that if 3 if 3 tracks I heard are terrible the other 14 will be brilliant that's all. So I said: All the Solja Boy tracks I heard are awful so I just assume his albums are terrible as well...all the Eminem tracks from this album I heard are horrible so I just assume the album is terrible as well. Not sure what's not to get with that comparison? Or is it just a big coincidence?

And on the tracks I heard thus far Eminem always sounds like he's mad, and that's not just me. An excerpt from the rapreviews page:

That's what I meant with angry rants, everytime I hear one of his new tracks he's making LOUD NOISES.

Well no offense but what you wrote in the post I quoted didn't make sense. Angry rants and Soulja Boy confused the shit out of me.

That's fair. The album is not a masterpiece and no where near level he used to be at. But tha is just one review. For the most its gotten really glowing reviews.

effzee said:
Wait your beef is the beat it samples? That is probably his strongest verse on the whole album in terms of lyrics, flow, and energy but your beef is that it samples Haddaway?

the only EM album worse Recovery was Encore

Jay Sosa

effzee said:
Well no offense but what you wrote in the post I quoted didn't make sense. Angry rants and Soulja Boy confused the shit out of me.

That's fair. The album is not a masterpiece and no where near level he used to be at. But tha is just one review. For the most its gotten really glowing reviews.

My english is kinda bad so I can see why I got you confused :lol

see5harp

effzee said:

Who is giving Eminem's latest stinker a good review? Surely it's like a "Weezer releases best album since Pinkerton-6 out of 10."

effzee said:

Glowing reviews? It's at 62% on metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/music/recovery

The album has been extremely successful and spawned big hits, but ultimately it's not a good album. Eminem shows some glimpses of his former self, like on the last verse of Not Afraid, but ultimately the stutter flow featured throughout the album is weak. Lyrically his punchlines are weak, and it just doesn't sound like the same rapper who once could destroy just about anyone head-to-head.

Production wise it's quite disappointing considering how hyped I was to hear Em over Just Blaze beats.

effzee

PhoenixDark said:
Glowing reviews? It's at 62% on metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/music/recovery

The album has been extremely successful and spawned big hits, but ultimately it's not a good album. Eminem shows some glimpses of his former self, like on the last verse of Not Afraid, but ultimately the stutter flow featured throughout the album is weak. Lyrically his punchlines are weak, and it just doesn't sound like the same rapper who once could destroy just about anyone head-to-head.

Production wise it's quite disappointing considering how hyped I was to hear Em over Just Blaze beats.

TES is at 75% at Metacritic too and that to me is his best album. Glowing might be too much but from the reviews I trust it got really good reviews. Besides its pretty subjective. No one called it a 5 mic masterpiece.

A lot of other reviewers went back and re-rated his earlier albums after giving them pretty low scores. The whole point was the album has been received more positively than negative, especially compared to his last two so one negative review is not a good indication of the majority of the reviews. He does yell a lot, his flow is different, and his lyrics are not as not as witty as his early career so of course I can see people not liking it or not being into it.

Tokubetsu

I'm a pretty big Em fan but I still think Relapse > Recovery. I like a few songs on Recovery, I like the beats but his flow is just off on almost every song. As much as I was eh on his weird ass accents in Relapse, at least he tried to go with the beats.

DominoKid

PhoenixDark said:
I can name 10 hip hop albums from 2010 better than Recovery, which is the definition of average on every level. And that's being generous considering just how shitty his flow and lyrics are throughout the album.

Recovery was laughably shitty.

it does my fucking head in that all my friends think its a classic.

Ashhong

Jay Sosa said:
Maybe it's because I'm one of few people that still listen to albums in their entirety not just the one two best tracks like most people seem to do nowadays.

What? You are going on and on about how you refuse to listen to anything but the singles. How does this make sense?

Recon

Banned
DominoKid said:
Recovery was laughably shitty.

it does my fucking head in that all my friends think its a classic.

Not to bring up an old topic, but you like Gucci, im pretty sure your opinion regarding quality hip-hop is useless.

Jay Sosa

Ashhong said:
What? You are going on and on about how you refuse to listen to anything but the singles. How does this make sense?

Because I already know the album is shitty because it has 3 awful songs on it. There is no way I could make it through the entire album without skipping it and when I have to skip tracks on an album it ain't good. WTF is so hard to understand?

I don't know why hip-hop fans even keep discussing eminem. He's become the Sonic the Hedgehog of rap. The first three were good and everything after that has gone from terrible to average. I mean, he hasn't released a truly great album in eight years. EIGHT. YEARS. If any other rapper did the same, they would be on XXL's milk carton by now.

The M.O.B

Jay Sosa said:
Because I already know the album is shitty because it has 3 awful songs on it. There is no way I could make it through the entire album without skipping it and when I have to skip tracks on an album it ain't good. WTF is so hard to understand?

:lol

HiResDes

I think Gucci is great for parties too...But I like a lot of shit, some of you guys seem too stuck in your little comfort zones, confined in little spaces.

Kimosabae

Banned
Jay Sosa said:

I see your point, but you're acting on a (hazy) principle that's going to cost you in the future - assuming it hasn't already.

Singles very, very often do not represent an album fairly. When I first heard "My Name Is" and "Guilty Conscience", I wanted Eminem dead and buried. It wasn't until someone forced me to sit down and listen to the whole album that I realized how good Em was.

Just seems to me people shitting on the album is just reconfirming your suspicions that its garbage. That's fine, but when you start mouthing off critical opinions on the album - you haven't heard it! You only heard 3 singles!! You don't see how people could have a problem with that.

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:
I think Gucci is great for parties too...But I like a lot of shit, some of you guys seem too stuck in your little comfort zones, confined in little spaces.

Maybe, but cats that tend to be that open-minded tend to be some truly scatter-brained motherfuckers. :D

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ReconYoda said:
Not to bring up an old topic, but you like Gucci, im pretty sure your opinion regarding quality hip-hop is useless.

Seriously, can you let it go?

This thread is alot better with a mixture of tastes. We get it, you don't like Gucci and you will shit on everyone who does. Let it go. That kind of shit has killed every other hip hop thread here. It starts to become one big argument about opinions and less about new music. Then people just leave the thread all together.

HiResDes

I don't think skipping songs means an album is awful...Well it depends on how many songs you have to skip of course. But Eminem's album is a perfect example of an album in which I love almost exactly half of the songs, and pretty much detest the other half. I thought I was going to end up scrapping it entirely like I did the B.O.B album after a while but I still really like half of it.

The M.O.B

shadowcomplex said:
you know there are many albums i don't listen to anymore because i have to skip songs. i don't see anything funny. =/

The fact that he refuses to even listen to the whole album is funny. The phrase "Don't knock it till you try it" comes to mind.

I too have albums that force me to skip songs, so I just remove the bad ones and keep the ones I like. What is wrong with just doing that? A couple of bad songs should never stop you from enjoying the other good ones. :D

dskillzhtown

The M.O.B said:
The fact that he refuses to even listen to the whole album is funny. The phrase "Don't knock it till you try it" comes to mind.

I too have albums that force me to skip songs, so I just remove the bad ones and keep the ones I like. What is wrong with just doing that? A couple of bad songs should never stop you from enjoying the other good ones. :D

Another benefit of digital media. Erasing/skipping mp3s is alot easier than fast forwarding a cassette!

Recon

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Seriously, can you let it go?

This thread is alot better with a mixture of tastes. We get it, you don't like Gucci and you will shit on everyone who does. Let it go. That kind of shit has killed every other hip hop thread here. It starts to become one big argument about opinions and less about new music. Then people just leave the thread all together.

I have maybe mentioned it only a few times. I just find it funny that anyone can listen to Gucci/Flocka/OJ, if you want hype music, there are a lot of better artists out there.

And i respect others opinions, i personally dont like Common, yet i know why others like him. There is nothing redeeming about Gucci, except for a few beats, but its not like he produced them.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The M.O.B said:

Ok yea I see what your getting at and I agree, but I never delete the bad songs beacuse sometimes they start to grow on me. But other than that I agree 100%

Tokubetsu said:
Opinions are assholes, they're full of shit.

it hurts me so much inside knowing that I ve heard this line many times but don't where it's from. :lol

Jay Sosa

Kimosabae said:
I see your point, but you're acting on a (hazy) principle that's going to cost you in the future - assuming it hasn't already.

Singles very, very often do not represent an album fairly. When I first heard "My Name Is" and "Guilty Conscience", I wanted Eminem dead and buried. It wasn't until someone forced me to sit down and listen to the whole album that I realized how good Em was.

Just seems to me people shitting on the album is just reconfirming your suspicions that its garbage. That's fine, but when you start mouthing off critical opinions on the album - you haven't heard it! You only heard 3 singles!! You don't see how people could have a problem with that.

Yeah I know, but it's not only principles, it's that there is sooooo much excellent (and free stuff) getting released every other week (I mean LES, Krit, DZA, Quest all released FREE mixtapes where I don't feel like skipping even one track) that I simply don't want to invest any time listening to an album that I know I won't like no matter how good all the other tracks are.

And I do give albums a chance when I don't LIKE a single (like TIPs Paper Route, hated that fucking Rihanna song) but it isn't like I just dislike the singles, to me they're honestly on the same level as what Solja Boy or Lil'B release.

It may be because I put more emphasis on a good production and the voice (that's why I love me some old Flip or CMR stuff) so bad beats and shouting ruins any good verse or rhyme Eminem spits.

I loved Guilty Conscius btw(love concept song and the beat is outstanding), My name at first not so much but it was atleast funny and well produced.

A couple of bad songs should never stop you from enjoying the other good ones.

Well we agree do disagree then. Of course I enjoy the good tracks if there are any BUT I won't enjoy the album If I have to skip 3 songs at least. And my point is that if 3 out of 3 songs are utterly horrible there will be most likely more bad songs on it.

And yeah I'm gonna listen to the album in the next few days...

HiResDes

abstract alien said:
Buddin is a damn monster. Can't wait.

And do we have a devin the dude force on gaf? If so, someone induct me.
He's one my top ten favorite rappers of all time...As ridiculous as that sounds....What do you want to know?

HiResDes said:
He's one my top ten favorite rappers of all time...As ridiculous as that sounds....What do you want to know?
It doesn't sound ridiculous at all, but that is probably due to him being in my top 10 as well. I love his themes and different personalities he portrays, as well as his story telling ability and relaxed/blues-ish sound. Such as awesome artists. I didn't really want to know anything in particular, just wanted to support "the dude" :D

Tough Love

Right Now

His sound just never gets old to me, which is pretty rare since I tend to get tired of things pretty quickly.

dskillzhtown

abstract alien said:
Buddin is a damn monster. Can't wait.

And do we have a devin the dude force on gaf? If so, someone induct me.

I used to see him alot back in the DJ-ing days. Mostly when he was in the Odd Squad. Cool dude, but he is high 24 hours a day.

Odd Squad jams -

I Can't See it
Fa Sho

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Recovery was an average album worth a few listens, far from classic, far from awful
I am convinced Gucci Mane is mentally handicapped
Devin the Dude is awesome. I love rappers with unique voices.
Charles Hamilton is whiny little bitch who won't ever have a hit album and will fade into obscurity.
Royce>Budden
Jay Sosa keeps wandering into this thread on accident and contributing exactly nothing to the discussion.
yo mama's got a peg leg...with a kick stand

There we go, now I'm caught up on the all the latest hip hop gaf topics.

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
It's Charles Hamilton. I should've consulted you first, shouldn't I?? :lol
YES! :D

siddx said:
Recovery was an average album worth a few listens, far from classic, far from awful
I am convinced Gucci Mane is mentally handicapped
Devin the Dude is awesome. I love rappers with unique voices.
Charles Hamilton is whiny little bitch who won't ever have a hit album and will fade into obscurity.
Royce>Budden
Jay Sosa keeps wandering into this thread on accident and contributing exactly nothing to the discussion.
yo mama's got a peg leg...with a kick stand

There we go, now I'm caught up on the all the latest hip hop gaf topics.
Masterful :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom