• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
Fuck. Been meaning to listen to his discography for a while. Now I def need to get on that. My heart goes out to his friends and fam.

Prentice said:
Too much in one year. Damn. He was way too young. R.I.P.

I don't think he was even 30 yet. He was making a name for himself at 16 and won just about every battle there was to win before he turned 20. Man, this sucks. Totally unexpected.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
OrangeGrayBlue said:
I don't think he was even 30 yet. He was making a name for himself at 16 and won just about every battle there was to win before he turned 20. Man, this sucks. Totally unexpected.
thats just too cruel. man life is just not fair. rip.

Kimosabae said:
Where do you guys recommend I start?

Each of his albums is very different. First Born is very concept heavy with skeletal beats, E&A borders on being straight battle raps except for a few songs, and By The Throat is a sort of experimental blend between garage punk and hip-hop, in some ways. E&A is probably the most accessible, easy to digest album. I would start there and then move forward or backward in his catalogue. Also, he released an album under the pseudonym of "Oliver Hart" which is essentially just Eyedea without Abilities. It's fairly similar to First Born, you should check it out at some point also.

bart jr

Neo Member
OrangeGrayBlue said:
Each of his albums is very different. First Born is very concept heavy with skeletal beats, E&A borders on being straight battle raps except for a few songs, and By The Throat is a sort of experimental blend between garage punk and hip-hop, in some ways. E&A is probably the most accessible, easy to digest album. I would start there and then move forward or backward in his catalogue. Also, he released an album under the pseudonym of "Oliver Hart" which is essentially just Eyedea without Abilities. It's fairly similar to First Born, you should check it out at some point also.

^^^ I agree with his recommendation. Here is a track from E&A called Now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIcuDQ2uwkE

More JOE BUDDEN off of Mood Muzik 4

2guh98h.jpg

NO IDEA

Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick.

crops55

Tokubetsu said:
So apparently Eyedea (Eyedea & Abilities) is dead. No details but his father updated his facebook page saying so.

:( Picked up their first CD a few years ago at Scribble Jam. I need cigarettes. Going to the store and playing this at obscene volume the entire way there.

PBY

Banned
just bought my tickets to see ghostface next week, pretty excited since i've never seen a wu/ wu affiliate show

Anyone seen him live/ how is he?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Damn I just remembered Apache died in Jan. I need me a gangsta bitch!!! Truly has been a bad year for losing rappers.

PBY

Banned
yeah, bad year for losing rappers... still hasn't sunk in for me that Guru's gone :(

fuck, forgot nujabes also died earlier this year.. shit

zon

It still hits me that Guru is dead everytime I hear his voice in a song, sampled or otherwise. We lost one of the best MCs ever when he passed. :(

RIP to all the dead rappers.

m3k

i only listened to one of eyedeas cds but i liked it well enough

especially these two

kept
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNGgtNtkiE&feature=related

star destroyer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-tKKOiVtw&feature=related ... lol i like xzibit samples

RIP, you did hiphop well.
Respect to the family, friends and friends.

zon said:
It still hits me that Guru is dead everytime I hear his voice in a song, sampled or otherwise. We lost one of the best MCs ever when he passed. :(

i know its like that for me too, i liked him, that hit me hard :(

zon said:

Yeah Guru's death really hit me. Loved the Jazzmatazz series as well as his Gangstarr material. He also mentored one of my favorite rappers: Jeru the Damaja.

zon

Jeru is one of my favorite MCs too. A really knowledgeable man. Airplay from his latest album is so sad but true (I won't be getting no airplay 'cus I'm speaking the truth).

Something more positive for now, I stumbled upon this yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Wqhu0JmBc

The "I got 5 on it" for the 2010s maybe? I don't smoke but even I find it catchy as hell. :lol

Slizz

peterb0y said:
just bought my tickets to see ghostface next week, pretty excited since i've never seen a wu/ wu affiliate show

My experiences with Wu/Wu affiliated shows, prepare to wait at least 2 hrs past the time hes supposed to perform. I remember when Wu-Tang was at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale show was at like 10pm, they didn't get on till 2 am.

MMaRsu

zon said:
Jeru is one of my favorite MCs too. A really knowledgeable man. Airplay from his latest album is so sad but true (I won't be getting no airplay 'cus I'm speaking the truth).

Something more positive for now, I stumbled upon this yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Wqhu0JmBc

The "I got 5 on it" for the 2010s maybe? I don't smoke but even I find it catchy as hell. :lol

Damn never heard of the dude, but RIP. Just checked out his video Smile and it's really good.. damn sucks losing mc's this year man they takin all our stars away :<

And that song you just linked sucks dude :p.

PBY

Banned
Slizz said:
My experiences with Wu/Wu affiliated shows, prepare to wait at least 2 hrs past the time hes supposed to perform. I remember when Wu-Tang was at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale show was at like 10pm, they didn't get on till 2 am.
damn, whatever- i'm willing to wait for ghostface, ill just keep drinking til he shows up

and yeah, what the hell is that jackie chan song? He sounds like a shitty asian version of Roscoe Dash...

zon

MMaRsu said:
Damn never heard of the dude, but RIP. Just checked out his video Smile and it's really good.. damn sucks losing mc's this year man they takin all our stars away :<

And that song you just linked sucks dude :p.

No way man, I'm rarely able to enjoy tracks by newer artists so this one must be good. :D

I tried to listen to another of his tracks (cadillacs and diamonds or whatever) but it was so bad I had to stop after a minute. But the Haze song is nice. Listened to it over a dozen times already. :lol

siddx

So Ludacris and J.Cole are performing at my University next month. Has anybody been to a ludacris concert before? Is he any good live?

zon said:

it was weird looking at Big Pun's "Still Not A Player" video the other day and seeing Guru in it dancing around and active :/

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
siddx said:
So Ludacris and J.Cole are performing at my University next month. Has anybody been to a ludacris concert before? Is he any good live?

I saw Luda a few years ago, alot of props and such. Good, fun time, he has a ton of charisma with thought put into the show. I think at this point he is geared more towards a female audience. One thing really stood out for me during the show, about 75% of Ludas songs are exactly the same. It was like a hip hop Nickelback. I like Luda, but not the most varied catalog.

You should check it out. I am sure it will be a fun night.

Hellion said:
Soooo 2pac dropped another track?...

I know, right? I guess there are more unreleased tracks still out there. I actually like the new one. Remixing the old songs in previous released was one of the dumbest moves ever. Thank goodness I found most of the old tracks in original forms.

Kimosabae said:
Aiight, so all the Cage talk that happened a few pages back inspired me to check out his first two albums proper. People introduced me to him years ago when Hell's Winter dropped, but I dismissed him due to criticisms of him sounding like Em - just seemed to be too much of that going on at the time. Plus, the Def Jux appearances I heard him on never impressed me - his voice annoyed the piss out of me.

Damn, that was ignorant.

1233879858487_f.jpg

GODDAMN I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO THIS. 'Agent Orange' plays in my sleep! I'm obsessed with Cage right now. This is becoming one of my favorite albums ever. 'Hell's Winter' is dope as fuck too, BUT I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO 'MOVIES FOR THE BLIND'. AHHHH this shit is sick.

a quote a few pages back which I missed at the time but now see it. I dig this. Anything from Cage that is similar because I can see myself bumping this shit for days. :lol :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
siddx said:
Damn I just remembered Apache died in Jan. I need me a gangsta bitch!!! Truly has been a bad year for losing rappers.

Apache is dead too? Gangsta Bitch was my Friday anthem for years when going out. I have no idea if he did anything else in the past 10 years though.

Jay Sosa

:lol It's official someone bodysnatched Eminem and used his status to make people believe he made an awesome record. Yes I know I'm repeating myself but whatever.

First single comes out:

Me: Wait a minute, weren't you guys saying he's back and the record is brilliant. This is some cheesy and awful shit.

GAF: Dude! It's just one single, the album is his best since the MMLP!

Me: Ah ok my bad..

NEXT is released, is even worse than the first one and comes with a cheesy video as well.

Me: Now what, this is even worse than the first track!

GAF: Well it's because of Rihanna, but all the other songs are all creative and shit!

NEXT single comes out and samples Haddaway...well tbh I'm at loss for words but I'm sure apart from maybe the 3 worst singles by an major artists I heard this year the album is contender for AOTY.

Yeah I know nobody cares and like the old Em I just don't give fuck

I can name 10 hip hop albums from 2010 better than Recovery, which is the definition of average on every level. And that's being generous considering just how shitty his flow and lyrics are throughout the album.

see5harp

peterb0y said:

Him and Rae are horrible, but you'll still have fun if you know the songs.

siddx

dskillzhtown said:
I saw Luda a few years ago, alot of props and such. Good, fun time, he has a ton of charisma with thought put into the show. I think at this point he is geared more towards a female audience. One thing really stood out for me during the show, about 75% of Ludas songs are exactly the same. It was like a hip hop Nickelback. I like Luda, but not the most varied catalog.

You should check it out. I am sure it will be a fun night.

:lol I can see his songs being somewhat repetitive. His production has never impressed me much. But I love his flow. He's one of those rappers who can turn even the most boring line into something entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom