• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just listened to Funk Flex talking about Pac bringing negative energy into the game and how people are already forgetting about him being legendary and shit. SMH at the dude being ignorant of the shit the East Coast talked in the Coast Wars back in the day. SMH at him even bringing up this shit.

Messi

Was on holiday in barcelona for a few days an look where I ended up. It was amazing :D

2mwcydy.jpg

2yyqau1.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gavarms said:
Reminds me of why Wu-Tang was so crazy to me.

In the late 80s, my brother and I became obsessed with kung-fu flicks. Then the Wu came out, sampling flicks that I'd watched so many times, it freaking blew my mind.

RZA was the ultimate architect of the 90s.
Prentice said:
Does anyone else think Wu-Tang is really underwhelming live?
Not the show I went to in 2000. Shit was beyond crazy.

RPS37

Elite - Judas
I like this video/song a lot.

I would suggest people stay on the lookout for Elite/Omen.
Elite produced Who Dat and See World. Omen produced a couple songs on Vizzy Zone and has the sick verse at the end of Relaxation.

Tokubetsu said:
So what's the final word on Hunger For More 2? I'm high and willing to listen to Banks again.

I've given it a couple of playthroughs and it's knockin. I skip a few singles that have already been released (Any Girl, sometimes BBoB) but other than that I absolutely love it the dude is on fire right now.

Prentice said:
Does anyone else think Wu-Tang is really underwhelming live?
90% of Hip-Hop shows are terrible. The whole block has mic's and there is always that dude in the crew who wants to start shit. The Roots, J5, Dilated Peoples, Common, Mos Def and De la Soul, are some of the few artist in Hip-Hop who could rock a show besides their mainstream counterparts(Jay-Z, Em..etc)

Haven't seen The Wu live but nearly every live vid I've seen of them looked awesome, and my friends who have seen them said they're awesome.

PhoenixDark said:
Haven't seen The Wu live but nearly every live vid I've seen of them looked awesome, and my friends who have seen them said they're awesome.
They suck LIVE....I guess the Roots ruined everything....Give it shot anyway....Live music is awesome :)

IrishNinja

Gavarms said:

shit, nice! thanks for this.

as for Wu live: seen them twice (meth + red on a seperate occassion), was quite pleased both times but then most of the crew actually bothered coming through, i can see being salty if you got gypped on attendance. not sure id pay $100+, i did a lot less for Rock The Bells to see them with blackstar, nas, etc to balance shit out...but if you've not seen them before (plus this is entirely their show), id be tempted, personally. then again, i find a lot of their stuff consistently good, hence why they're my #1.

wish they were coming down to MIA, looks like ATL is as close as they're getting...ah well.

PBY

Banned
watched a kanye interview today where he say bizarre ride II the pharcyde was his fav album of all time, so I decided to relisten. What a fucking album, so damn good

MickD

Tokubetsu said:
So what's the final word on Hunger For More 2? I'm high and willing to listen to Banks again.

I love it... easily in my top 10 this year. Didn't expect it to be as good as it was.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I still have way too many albums to listen to. Too many mixtapes and album releases plus way too much work. I still haven't gotten around to listening to the fucking Roots album yet.

Acid08

Banned
I want to see Wu fucking bad, just entered a contest to see if I can win tickets to their Dec 2nd show in SF. Got my fingers crossed.

Hartt951

OK, so after having giving up on Dre, I finally saw Kush on iTunes and I listened to it, and it's good, but after realizing that this song is fucking Dr. Dre and I've been waiting 11 years for it, the song sucks.

Bishman

HiResDes said:
DJ Green Lantern and Famous Stars & Straps present the latest project by Emilio Rojas, with features from B.o.B., Mike Bigga Killer Mike, Yelawolf, Mickey Factz, Big K.R.I.T., and Laws. Production is by DJ Green Lantern, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, Needlz, Illmind, M-phazes, Dante Ross and more. Tracklist and link down bottom.

CD-Cover.jpg
CD-Back.jpg

LINK
Oh. My. God.

This is so fucking good! Emilio Rojas made me a fan after hearing him on Laws's "Hold you down."

Tokubetsu

Pilot Talk 2 is good but just a slight down from Pilot Talk I. The whole album is a lot quieter, mellower. It kinda works if you through PT1 and 2 on together though. 2 is that low come down for the first half. Kinda like all those old albums with 17+ tracks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Acid08 said:
Listening to The Blueprint right now and goddamn its been a while. Fucking amazing album, I forgot how much I fucking love this song.

Top 5 beat for sure, IMO.
For me, easily the best beat Kanye has done.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hartt951 said:
OK, so after having giving up on Dre, I finally saw Kush on iTunes and I listened to it, and it's good, but after realizing that this song is fucking Dr. Dre and I've been waiting 11 years for it, the song sucks.
Pretty much exactly the confliction in my head.

I'm not sure I'm in the minority here, b honestly, I don't like Kanye's voice. He can't sing, IMO. The only song I like from his new album is So Appalled, and that's it. =\

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm not sure I'm in the minority here, b honestly, I don't like Kanye's voice. He can't sing, IMO. The only song I like from his new album is So Appalled, and that's it. =\
I'm a huge Kanye stan so I can't say I agree with you on any of this, but I understand the sentiments. There are some rappers I don't like because their voices are just annoying as fuck. Usually my dislike is paired with shitty lyrics though. Thankfully on MBDTF, every verse is at the top of it's game IMO. All the features came through and delivered. Overdelivered even in some cases (Fergie).

Game lol. Has anyone been exposed as being more untalented than this fool? Dude is working with a plethora of producers and can't put out a single decent song. Interscope must be shaking their head

Prentice

Neo Member
Hootie said:
elaborate

They were pretty bad when I saw them at Rock The Bells SF this year, but that might just have been a fluke.

ShinobiFist said:
The Roots, J5, Dilated Peoples, Common, Mos Def and De la Soul, are some of the few artist in Hip-Hop who could rock a show besides their mainstream counterparts(Jay-Z, Em..etc)

Yeah, Roots killed pretty much every Hip Hop show I've seen since. I just saw Slum Village in SF tonight, though, and they were almost on Roots level.

Okay guys, I'm doing a full review next week on my favorite Hip-Hop albums of 2010. Is going to be VERY detail. I'm including EVERYTHING! Music is music...By that I mean, even a MIXTAPE could be album of the year, nah mean. I think it will be a good Idea if everyone who's a regular on this thread should do one. I'm very curious on what you guys consider to be your top albums.

If I see the same albums on everyone's list, I'll make a list of that(no order on what's the number one album)And we could include it to the O.P. or a 2011 thread.....Let's see. But yeah, that Pilot Talk 2 is NOT what I expected..I don't hate it, but I didn't expect it to be that mellow.....Whatever...The track "Hold On" is fucking FIRE! Nuff said.

Tokubetsu

ShinobiFist said:
Okay guys, I'm doing a full review next week on my favorite Hip-Hop albums of 2010. Is going to be VERY detail. I'm including EVERYTHING! Music is music...By that I mean, even a MIXTAPE could be album of the year, nah mean. I think it will be a good Idea if everyone who's a regular on this thread should do one. I'm very curious on what you guys consider to be your top albums.

If I see the same albums on everyone's list, I'll make a list of that(no order on what's the number one album)And we could include it to the O.P. or a 2011 thread.....Let's see. But yeah, that Pilot Talk 2 is NOT what I expected..I don't hate it, but I didn't expect it to be that mellow.....Whatever...The track "Hold On" is fucking FIRE! Nuff said.

Started mine months ago man. :D

and yea, PTII surprised me. I had to burn a couple to start feeling it but god damn, it takes mellow to another (sub) level. Airborne Aquarium is my shit though.

Great radio interview? or GREATEST interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WFP9J8ng90

Yo Gotti

Banned
2 Huge hip hop sites, RapGodFathers and OnSmash.com taken down by the feds.

RGF may have deserved it with all the piracy that goes on there, but OnSmash? That really sucks.. wonder what it means for the rest of the world of hip hop blogs.

ShinobiFist said:

I'd make one but I haven't listened to too many 2010 albums.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yo Gotti said:
2 Huge hip hop sites, RapGodFathers and OnSmash.com taken down by the feds.

RGF may have deserved it with all the piracy that goes on there, but OnSmash? That really sucks.. wonder what it means for the rest of the world of hip hop blogs.
Damn. RGF had a lot of obscure single tracks artists put out for promotion catalogued. But all this means is more traffic to WorldStar I guess. I still can't believe some people check that shit religiously. Some girls were talking about it at my uni and I just smh.

Tokubetsu

dZ3nV.jpg

This album never gets old. Has to be in your top 10 of the decade. "Exploitation of Mistakes" I can just loop all day. That's what a perfect beat sounds like. A perfect loop, perfect drums, perfect fx. Perfect. Hard to think that this came out five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom