• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
This past week my Christian, no premarital sex, marrying his gf of 6 months coworker has really shown his true colors.

I have my headphones on and I'm listening to Kendrick Lamar. Someone starts talking to me so I take them off and put them around my neck. This motherfucker tells me "turn that off, nobody wants to hear that" and then proceeds to tell me he "doesn't speak section 8".

boy oh boy was he about to get lifted.

Fast forward to today and AGAIN he tells me he "doesn't speak section 8" when me and my other supervisor are talking about rap. He even had the audacity to openly tell us that he "ties ignorance to rap music". me and my supervisor immediately called him out on his shit about how ignorant of a statement that was. i just stood there like wow and kept telling him he needs to stop talking that bullshit before I get even more pissed at his useless self.

you got sonned tho
igEdTh8.png

studyguy

gafhop collectively thinks you should've kept it real, gone upside his head & gotten fired (for the culture)

If I fought every bigoted client I had from the Central Valley I'd have no time for anything else during my work hours. You can't fight old ignorance sometimes.

Courage

Crosspost from the voting thread

2015 was definitely one of the most exciting years in hip-hop. Drake vs. Meek, Future's 4peat culminating with DS2, solidifying himself as ATL legend, Tyga and his Ls, DJ Khaled's 🔑s to success, Young Thug showing us what rap, as a form, can do with Barter 6, plus a shitload of other releases, from high profile and underground rappers alike. We may have never gotten SWISH, but we did get a shitload of great music. Here's to 2016 being just as good, with its music and its fuckery.

And now my personal picks for 2015:

Artist/Group of the Year - Future
Producer of the Year - Metro Boomin
Rookie of the Year - Jazz Cartier
Feature Killer of the Year - Future
L of the Year - Meek Mill
Biggest Disappointment - Jay Rock’s album and the buildup to its release
Intro of the Year - Thought It Was a Drought

SONGS OF THE YEAR

1. Future - March Madness ; 4 points
2. Dalek - Masked Laughter (Nothing’s Left) ; 3 points
3. Kendrick Lamar - How Much A Dollar Cost ; 3 points
4. Young Thug - Halftime ; 2 points
5. Death Grips - On GP ; 2 points
6. Jamie xx - I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times) ft. Young Thug, Popcaan ; 2 points
7. Earl Sweatshirt - Grief ; 1 point
8. Vince Staples - Norf Norf ; 1 point
9. Action Bronson - Actin Crazy ; 1 point
10. Freddie Gibbs - Fuckin’ Up the Count ; 1 point

ALBUMS OF THE YEAR

1. Future - Dirty Sprite 2 ; 4 points

I never imagined that 2015 would be Future’s year. After the lukewarm Honest, I expected him to stagnate with sappy, syrupy ballads. Monster releasing late last year corrected that assumption, and started his hot streak of albums that’d continue on to this year. On DS2 Future brings together his elite team of producers, which contributed to his recent output, and make one of the most memorable trap releases thus far. Southside, Metro and Zaytoven’s beats set a dark, sinister tone that permeates throughout the album. This is coupled with Future’s typical nihilism and bravado, dialed all the way up to eleven, as if he’s been possessed by lean after his breakup with Ciara and does not regret it one bit: Bitch, I’ma choose the dirty over you/ You know I ain't scared to lose you. It’s an album of Future overindulging in all his pleasures, whether when he’s fucking his groupies, blowing a bag a day, or fucking his cash up on a new toy. DS2 may seem like an endorsement of Future's lifestyle, but there’s also an undercurrent of depression and pain in its lyricism that does not paint a pretty picture. It’s a gut-wrenching, potent album and the perfect way to end his run this year.

2. Death Grips - The Powers That B ; 3 points

Death Grips once again pushing rap to its limits, with a fantastic combination of glitchy, industrial production and MC Ride’s aggressively relentless roars.

3. Billy Woods - Today, I Wrote Nothing ; 3 points

Billy Woods continues to improve in Today, I Wrote Nothing, where his vivid, thought provoking lyricism continues to shine via his off-kilter delivery and bitesized track lengths, both ostensibly inspired by MF Doom.

4. Young Thug - Barter 6 ; 2 points

Thugga’s most consistent project yet; a subdued canvas in which he flexes his technical aptitude and eccentricity, while also making some of the catchiest songs of the year. s/o to Slime Season 1 and 2, which are just as good.

5. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside ; 2 points

Earl continues to mature as an artist with IDLS, IDGO, ditching the monotony of Doris and providing darker soundscapes, solely produced by him, along with denser, harder hitting nihilist raps.

6. Denzel Curry - 32 Zel / Planet Shrooms ; 2 points

Psychedelic rap done right. Take notes ASAP Rocky.

7. Dr. Yen Lo - Days With Dr. Yen Lo ; 1 point

Ka builds on his signature style, with a more nuanced and complex album than Night’s Gambit. Preservation's eerie production is intentionally understated, in order to highlight Ka’s incredible rapping.

8. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt ; 1 point

Exactly what I wanted from Gibbs after Piñata. He goes back to his melodic trap sound, as he flows seamlessly on a variety of beats. It’s as catchy as BFK with none of the weed carriers that held back ESGN.

9. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly ; 1 point

This has grown on me throughout the year. Although I was initially apathetic towards the jazzy production and Kendrick’s surreal delivery, I ultimately couldn’t resist this album's warmth.

10. Milo - So the Flies Don't Come ; 1 point

Atmospheric but not boring like Toothpaste Suburb. In fact, Milo improves his rapping and the album remains engaging yet easy going during its 32 mins.

BlackJace

Good list, I wholeheartedly agree that Denzel Curry really embarrassed A$AP Rocky with his take on Psychedelic rap. L$D is so fucking pathetic.

Eos

imma relisten to a few Ashley Olsen tracks or some DYlan

ain't headphones good enough to make that sound not trash. GOnna give that new Ferg track a few more listensa dn see if it grows on me
I'm loving that track tbh. The beat is ridiculous and Future kills his verse, he sounds demonic. I was surprised to find out that the the guy who made the beat (Da Honorable CNOTE) also made M'$ for Rocky. Definitely gonna look out for his beats from now on.

HiResDes

What'd you think of that Lil Ugly Mane?
I don't think it flows all that well and though I love most of ugly manes work I've never felt like his noise shit was very well integrated with everything else. It's like there are a bunch of tracks that I like well enough but I'm not sure they complement each other sonically though there are parallels in the overarching theme. Sonically it's an aural cluster fuck at times, but I'd still give it probably a very strong 7 because there are so many tracks I like individually on it. I think the best moments of the album are the ones that are the least abrasive, the four song section from Achilles Heel to onwards possesses this sort of depression that's kind of serene and chill,had that been an EP I'd think it was perfect. The somber mood just sort of washes over you and I feel that's the most brilliant part of the album and possibly the best representation of its theme.

BlackJace

DS2 has to be the most divisive album on here this year, right? I mean, besides TPAB, what other album has been discussed this much (and with such varying opinion)?

Bacon

DS2 has to be the most divisive album on here this year, right? I mean, besides TPAB, what other album has been discussed this much (and with such varying opinion)?

Anything thugga is way more divisive. DS2 seems pretty well loved for the most part to me.

HiResDes

Race Music people just love talking about Armand Hammer, so much that I personally get kind of sick of it like damn I know it's a masterpiece but shut up about it already.

BlackJace

Actually, yeah you're correct. The Lupe wars never seem to die down for long round here. Personally it's in my list, albeit low on it.
Anything thugga is way more divisive. DS2 seems pretty well loved for the most part to me.
Idk man, we all seem to be all bout that dick talk, that dick talk Thugga lately --- including myself, he's a really interesting dude. SS1 and 2 were entertaining.

Rodeo imo

Ehh, sort of. It seemed like the thread agreed on the standout tracks.

injurai

Banned
from codhand to gafhop

xoxoxoxo

Skip starter packs, go straight to the booster packs. A lesson I picked up when my mom refused to buy me a starter back, and I ended up with the most lit pokemon cards on the playground. Japanese Holographic 1st Edition Charizard > your favs.

just came back from watching Chi-raq. Mama Spike be like "subtlety, what's that?"

I still have no idea what to think of that movie. Teyonah Parris though...

HiResDes

Basically finished a basic version of the rapup, just waiting to see if Retch will really deliver Lean and Neck. It's looking iffier every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom