• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
its not so bad when dudes keep putting out 15+ song albums doe
Not imo. Give me 12 good songs of YOU (maybe one or two features). I shouldn't have to search through your albums to listen to you. It also sucks when most guest features sound like filler to just pad album length.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm listening to the new E-40 albums, and I have to say, guest features are really becoming a plague on Hip-Hop (or at least, have been for a while). It's just annoying to hear so little of the guy you actually paid to hear.

couldn't agree less..

filler

Banned
How can you not be getting enough e-40, when he releases 3 discs worth of content on the same day? The features were very necessary.

Esch

Banned
I agree that albums from a single artist should have balance in features.... But I just dont think that balance is a constant for every artist.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How can you not be getting enough e-40, when he releases 3 discs worth of content on the same day? The features were very necessary.
A lot of it is just filler (lol), though. Give me one album, mainly focused on you. I think on all 3 albums, there are a combined 15 solo songs.

I understand why he did it, though. BTW, my point wasn't just about him, just a point in general.

EDIT: I just think the majority of the songs on a solo album should be solo joints by the artist, and a few features, not the other way around.

Ace, you said that wrong. You're supposed to say, "You're right. When I buy an e-40 album, I expect to hear e-40. Right again, Soul." And I would be like, "Damn right, Ace. Anytime, buddy." : )

Come on soul..For a Kane mark you should know Kane wouldn't say stuff like that either..

j/k :)

Been hearing alot of good songs with Wale. Any particular tracks besides ones mention in her to check out or stay away from his tracks?

Blackace

I think you start to get to parlay after a few albums. Most solo artist hit the ground hard their first few albums.. And then start to feature out..

If you want to look at 40 water he was very balanced his whole career.. But the dude has been making albums for over 20 years..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I agree that albums from a single artist should have balance in features.... But I just dont think that balance is a constant for every artist.
Well said. Not even that some need others as a crutch, sometimes it's just nice seeing artists that go well with collaborations and produce some of their best music that way.

Jadakiss, Busta, most NY rappers are better with a larger balance of features.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think you start to get to parlay after a few albums. Most solo artist hit the ground hard their first few albums.. And then start to feature out..

If you want to look at 40 water he was very balanced his whole career.. But the dude has been making albums for over 20 years..
Yeah, he has, which is why I really don't like the direction he's gone with all these multiple album releases. Oh well, I understand why he does it. "I Practice Looking Hard" was the first rap song I heard when I came to this country. He's got a place with me.

Blackace

Yeah, he has, which is why I really don't like the direction he's gone with all these multiple album releases. Oh well, I understand why he does it. "I Practice Looking Hard" was the first rap song I heard when I came to this country. He's got a place with me.

As fan of his, I have always wanted to hear him do stuff with a lot of artist.. As his career winds down a bit, seems that is what he is doing.

There is a difference in being made by features and paying your dues and then parlaying later IMO

Kad5

Hey guys I just thought up some verses for a song i'm working on.

Can you guys give me an opinion if it's ok or is that not allowed for me to post rap verses?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
As fan of his, I have always wanted to hear him do stuff with a lot of artist.. As his career winds down a bit, seems that is what he is doing.

There is a difference in being made by features and paying your dues and then parlaying later IMO
Winds down? He's releasing more albums than ever, lol.

Just hearing how old they are now and just shake my head because I can just remember not that long ago them in their teens, early 20's making me head nod with hit after hit.

IrishNinja

Ghostface has already said he's planning on doing that.

Like he had a choice, lol.

man i will fucks with an 80 year old ghostface if he's still doing his thing.
buddens was right, the way hip-hop treats its older/classic members is kinda shameful, i hope jay and other dudes turn that around.

RJT

Come on now son..same was said about rock.. But your fans grow old too..

Just have to change your content

Can't wait to hear old people rap. Honestly, there's a whole range of subjects (like impotence) that are not touched by current rappers.

man i will fucks with an 80 year old ghostface if he's still doing his thing.
buddens was right, the way hip-hop treats its older/classic members is kinda shameful, i hope jay and other dudes turn that around.

Even Jay only remains relevant by catering to 20 year old white people; when he tries to do anything else it fails (Kingdom Come). There is no market for mainstream "old rap" because rap is disposable music - it's quickly consumed and spat out to make room for the next guy on top, like a fad. Right now Drake is dominating, but in a few years there will be some new dude and Drake will be what 50 Cent is today.

Rock fans follow bands for decades. Old rock bands retain old fans and gain new fans constantly, whereas if a rapper doesn't have a hit song they're considered irrelevant. They're forced to diss new rappers or say stupid shit to get any attention. The rappers who have managed to reach longevity do so because they transcend the genre - Jay Z, Wu Tang, etc. I'd imagine Kanye will do the same in a decade or so

Most genres tackle a broad variety of subjects, hell even mainstream pop can have some subtlety and depth beyond "I'm sexy and I know it." It hurts having some of the dumbest fans of any genre, plus the music is completely aimed at consumerism

Recon

Banned
Even Jay only remains relevant by catering to 20 year old white people; when he tries to do anything else it fails (Kingdom Come). There is no market for mainstream "old rap" because rap is disposable music - it's quickly consumed and spat out to make room for the next guy on top, like a fad. Right now Drake is dominating, but in a few years there will be some new dude and Drake will be what 50 Cent is today.

Rock fans follow bands for decades. Old rock bands retain old fans and gain new fans constantly, whereas if a rapper doesn't have a hit song they're considered irrelevant. They're forced to diss new rappers or say stupid shit to get any attention. The rappers who have managed to reach longevity do so because they transcend the genre - Jay Z, Wu Tang, etc. I'd imagine Kanye will do the same in a decade or so

Most genres tackle a broad variety of subjects, hell even mainstream pop can have some subtlety and depth beyond "I'm sexy and I know it." It hurts having some of the dumbest fans of any genre, plus the music is completely aimed at consumerism

There are only a few bands that people follow for decades. It will be the same for rap, only the true big stars will command a following after decades. For every big band that has sustained a following, there are hundreds of other bands that cling to backwoods carnivals and run down clubs. No reason to think any different for rap.

Esch

Banned
late on this, but...how is it? i loved the old flick and NES games, i heard queen bee was kinda weak but wanted the series to do duke justice.

duke togo is cold as ice; its like bond and bourne had a baby but he was even more of a g

so essentially yes recommended, AAA+, etc

its on netflix

SoilBreak

Banned
anRNV.jpg

Jay Sosa

I'm listening to the new E-40 albums, and I have to say, guest features are really becoming a plague on Hip-Hop (or at least, have been for a while). It's just annoying to hear so little of the guy you actually paid to hear.

Where have you been the last 15 years?

Ever since AEOM it has been a plague, especially when everyone just tries to get the same big/popular names on their records.

I never had a problem with dudes trying to put their own guys on, only if they're reeeeally bad.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have my doubts about old rappers actually having an audience. Historically old rap and R&B acts don't gain new fans as they get older. I mean, at a Springsteen/Rolling Stones, etc. show you see young people who became fans of the older music. Rap moves so fast and is so different, it is hard for that to happen. I mean, not many youngsters are jamming to Dougie Fresh or Slick Rick. The styles are just too different.

Locally the oldie rap shows are relagated to small venues and limited promotion. They are also marketed as oldie shows, while old rock groups are just promoted as rock shows. Maybe Jay-Z and Kanye will change that if they are interested in performing for 20-30 more years. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, why does everyone hate on Khaled? Dude makes some good bangers for the summer and seems to be having the time of his life doing it.

You just showing ignorance by saying that. Dre is almost 50 and if he dropped a good album in the next few years, it would be hype no matter his age.

I highly doubt that. It will be hype from the people who remember exactly who Dre is, but most rap fans wouldn't give a fuck unless they brand it with a new line of Beats. There has just been too much time, too many new rappers coming up to replace him in people's minds. Hell, as much pub Snoop gets, he could drop an album as good as Doggystyle and not get even close to the same reaction.

That was a great time for Dre, Snoop, all of them. They were sitting in the same chair Cash Money is sitting in now. The same chair that someone else will be sitting in later. The longevity of Jay-Z is amazing to me, almost the exception and not the rule. Even with his fake retirement gimmicks, his career is just amazing and hasn't been seen in rap before. Sure people keep rapping, but to keep being as popular as he has been is amazing to me. Run DMC didn't have the kind of legs he has. Beastie Boys maybe, but they switched up thier style and more of an alternative group now. Maybe it is because Jay is selling more of an image and style. I don't know.

Recon

Banned
I have my doubts about old rappers actually having an audience. Historically old rap and R&B acts don't gain new fans as they get older. I mean, at a Springsteen/Rolling Stones, etc. show you see young people who became fans of the older music. Rap moves so fast and is so different, it is hard for that to happen. I mean, not many youngsters are jamming to Dougie Fresh or Slick Rick. The styles are just too different.

Locally the oldie rap shows are relagated to small venues and limited promotion. They are also marketed as oldie shows, while old rock groups are just promoted as rock shows. Maybe Jay-Z and Kanye will change that if they are interested in performing for 20-30 more years. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, why does everyone hate on Khaled? Dude makes some good bangers for the summer and seems to be having the time of his life doing it.

I highly doubt that. It will be hype from the people who remember exactly who Dre is, but most rap fans wouldn't give a fuck unless they brand it with a new line of Beats. There has just been too much time, too many new rappers coming up to replace him in people's minds. Hell, as much pub Snoop gets, he could drop an album as good as Doggystyle and not get even close to the same reaction.

That was a great time for Dre, Snoop, all of them. They were sitting in the same chair Cash Money is sitting in now. The same chair that someone else will be sitting in later. The longevity of Jay-Z is amazing to me, almost the exception and not the rule. Even with his fake retirement gimmicks, his career is just amazing and hasn't been seen in rap before. Sure people keep rapping, but to keep being as popular as he has been is amazing to me. Run DMC didn't have the kind of legs he has. Beastie Boys maybe, but they switched up thier style and more of an alternative group now. Maybe it is because Jay is selling more of an image and style. I don't know.

Rap is still very new compared to Rock. Give it time. Also, everyone hates Khaled because he literally does nothing but say "we da best" on tracks. He has a stable of producers, but does jack shit himself.

Esch

Banned
Rap is still very new compared to Rock. Give it time. Also, everyone hates Khaled because he literally does nothing but say "we da best" on tracks. He has a stable of producers, but does jack shit himself.

exactly, the question is what functional purpose does he serve? I just dont get it. Plus his bangers are always super forgettable, never cohesive, never themed in any way. theyre the type of shit you hear for 3 months at parties and clubs and then never think about again. theyre just random ballaballagarbage, and not even entertaining or unique to boot.

Dre and Snoop are still respected by younger folk. It seems whenever someone hits 15 or 16 they stumble onto 2001 and/or The Chronic after hearing the singles for years.

And if Snoop dropped an album as good as Doggystyle everyone would go crazy, as much as Snoop tries to soil his name everyone still likes him to a certain extent.

Esch

Banned
idk wtf people are talking about with the new gen not buying into old rappers, all the freshmen i know are rocking nas, big l, three six, pac, dre, all that shit. I think thats a myth. I cant speak for kids still in high school, but thats that. Where old rappers are falling short is integrating themselves into a key part of cutting edge hip hop- party music.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

You are probably right. I read interviews from old timers like Whodini who complain about having to do tiny venues because no one is interested. But to be honest, given the number of rock groups there have been, the percentage of ones that can draw old fans and create new ones is small.

exactly, the question is what functional purpose does he serve? I just dont get it. Plus his bangers are always super forgettable, never cohesive, never themed in any way. theyre the type of shit you hear for 3 months at parties and clubs and then never think about again. theyre just random ballaballagarbage, and not even entertaining or unique to boot.

That is what a summer jam is supposed to do. Be jamming for the summer and forgotten, like old Jay-Z songs. That is what pop music is all based on. Khaled makes summer pop rap jams. He is good at that and I am not going to hate on him for it. I realize he is nothing more than a brand, but nothing worth hating on. I don't get the hate.

Blackace

Can't wait to hear old people rap. Honestly, there's a whole range of subjects (like impotence) that are not touched by current rappers.

Yeah, because Iggy Pop does that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom