• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Dre and Snoop are still respected by younger folk. It seems whenever someone hits 15 or 16 they stumble onto 2001 and/or The Chronic after hearing the singles for years.

And if Snoop dropped an album as good as Doggystyle everyone would go crazy, as much as Snoop tries to soil his name everyone still likes him to a certain extent.

idk wtf people are talking about with the new gen not buying into old rappers, all the freshmen i know are rocking nas, big l, three six, pac, dre, all that shit. I think thats a myth. I cant speak for kids still in high school, but thats that. Where old rappers are falling short is integrating themselves into a key part of cutting edge hip hop- party music.

Agreed. Another thing I would add is if anyone drops a classic and I mean on the level of Illmatic, Chronic, Doggystyle etc then it will go platinum regardless of the age or image of the artist.

Detox

Oh shit just saw that
Mobb Deep's Havoc Lashes Out At Prodigy, Engages In Twitter Beef

@prodigymobbdeep we got a meeting, lets see if u built to show ur face. prodigy abitch and I’m gonna show it, follow!! ground breaking new. i got niggas in the jail system to to back up that prodigy was fucking homes in jail. prodigy prove me wrong! please. i have a big announcement…. and niggas that was locked wit him know the truth. now i will silence…. and let the jails take care of the rest. thats on everything, i had to smack P ask him. prodigy u pussy! u long island ass bitch. I’m about to expose u! i can’t wait till niggas in jail that was wit u back my shit up!! next time i see u , u getting layer out, on camera!! i can’t wait! how u say u live in jersey, but right there in queens??? I’m on top of u… pause… foot on thy neck!!! in a minute…. niggas that was in the jail wit him gonna blow him up first hand.!!!! prodigy a hider not a rider. nothing hacked P homo y’all. no hack this havoc. P IS HIDING!!! IM GONNA SHOW U P GETTING KNOCKED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! WATCH HE TRY TO DODGE ME!! THINK ABOUT IT… HOW COULD HE SAY,,, QB MURDERERS ??? LETS DO A ONE ON ONE!!!!! ME AND P!!! HE SO BUTTTT HE WILL AVOID!!!! OH, ONE MORE THING, HE THINK HIM AND RIHANNA GETTING MARRIED!!!! LMFAOOOOOOOO. THIS50…. HOLLA AT ME XXL HOLLA AT ME P A FAKE JAY Z HOLLA BACK!!!!!

They mention that Sway confirmed it was Havoc. Lol @ he wants to marry Rihanna this shit has to be fake.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't know the full extent of it, but Havok is acting like a real bitch. Him and P put out a legendary song, and placed themselves in the high ranks of hip hop, "back in the day." Now you have Havok "exposing" P for being bi/gay and this that and the third. That's supposed to be your fucking man.

Rap fuckery at it's finest / worst.

There are only a few bands that people follow for decades. It will be the same for rap, only the true big stars will command a following after decades. For every big band that has sustained a following, there are hundreds of other bands that cling to backwoods carnivals and run down clubs. No reason to think any different for rap.

Eh that's not true. I can name countless bands from the 80s and 90s who still have fans filling venues to see them - not just clubs. That cannot be said of hip hop. Think of all the big to huge bands from the 80s and 90s - AC DC, The Who, Metallica, Van Halen, Smashing Pumpkins, Guns N Roses, Rush, etc etc etc. Many are still still touring, still making good money, and there are popular radio stations that play their stuff all day. There is no comparison for hip hop. Who from the 80s has a career today, or can do a big or even medium sized tour? Most are considered busted today, and looked upon with a sense of revilement or disinterest by many young hip hop fans today. Whereas with rock that old music never dies, and many young people learn how to play instruments by learning songs from those bands. Then there are films that use the music prominently, and videogames like Rock Band or Guitar Hero that further revive said music.

Let's look at the 90s. Jay-Z, Nas, Wu, DMX, and some others who sold well back then are still popular in terms of being able to fill venues; if it wasn't for the drugs and jail shit, DMX would be much bigger than he is now btw. Then there are acts like Mobb Deep who weren't "huge" back then but are still popular/relevant.

This is because, as I said, the music is disposable - or treated as such by fans and many "artists" who's sole interest is making money and shilling products, or making references no one will get in a few years.

Macca

There's a hell of a lot of 90's hip hop that still holds up today. Production moved so far forward in the 90's that it's still relevant now.

80's stuff, while still being good is A LOT harder to get into. It's very very dated.

There will definitely be artists from the 90's doing successful shows later on in life, as long as they can still put on good performances.

Recon

Banned
Eh that's not true. I can name countless bands from the 80s and 90s who still have fans filling venues to see them - not just clubs. That cannot be said of hip hop. Think of all the big to huge bands from the 80s and 90s - AC DC, The Who, Metallica, Van Halen, Smashing Pumpkins, Guns N Roses, Rush, etc etc etc. Many are still still touring, still making good money, and there are popular radio stations that play their stuff all day. There is no comparison for hip hop. Who from the 80s has a career today, or can do a big or even medium sized tour? Most are considered busted today, and looked upon with a sense of revilement or disinterest by many young hip hop fans today. Whereas with rock that old music never dies, and many young people learn how to play instruments by learning songs from those bands. Then there are films that use the music prominently, and videogames like Rock Band or Guitar Hero that further revive said music.

Let's look at the 90s. Jay-Z, Nas, Wu, DMX, and some others who sold well back then are still popular in terms of being able to fill venues; if it wasn't for the drugs and jail shit, DMX would be much bigger than he is now btw. Then there are acts like Mobb Deep who weren't "huge" back then but are still popular/relevant.

This is because, as I said, the music is disposable - or treated as such by fans and many "artists" who's sole interest is making money and shilling products, or making references no one will get in a few years.

Hip hop is still young and has had less time to cultivate huge followings. There are a lot of reasons as to why you are wrong, but I'm on my phone so I cannot go into detail.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well get off your phone and tell me what's good, ninja

I will tell you what I know.. That the 80s 90s rock bands are selling to almost the same crowd they were back then... In 80s hip-hop was still very young and almost like video games, thought to be a fad.. Almost like 50s rock, whose artist died out unlike the ones who followed them..

Early 90s was the shuck and jive era, while good fun was very MTV friendly and therefore like the 80s outgrown by even it's original target market..

Guys like Jay-Z, Nas, Snoop, will draw crowds and be able to carry their acts into their 50s if they wish to... They are pretty much the Rolling Stones of rap.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
There's a hell of a lot of 90's hip hop that still holds up today. Production moved so far forward in the 90's that it's still relevant now.

80's stuff, while still being good is A LOT harder to get into. It's very very dated.

There will definitely be artists from the 90's doing successful shows later on in life, as long as they can still put on good performances.

Time will tell. We won't know until later. But history has proven younger rap fans not really giving a crap about older artists unless they are featuring on a song with the hottest artist around.

Tupac was going to try and bring back Big Daddy Kane before he was killed. Very interesting to see how that would have turned out. Even now older rappers usually have to be paired with some R&B artist from back in the day to do a show. Atleast locally they perform in a 5000 seat arena at max.

Macca

Time will tell. We won't know until later. But history has proven younger rap fans not really giving a crap about older artists unless they are featuring on a song with the hottest artist around.

Tupac was going to try and bring back Big Daddy Kane before he was killed. Very interesting to see how that would have turned out. Even now older rappers usually have to be paired with some R&B artist from back in the day to do a show. Atleast locally they perform in a 5000 seat arena at max.
What exactly is a younger rap fan?

Recon

Banned
Well get off your phone and tell me what's good, ninja

I will tell you what I know.. That the 80s 90s rock bands are selling to almost the same crowd they were back then... In 80s hip-hop was still very young and almost like video games, thought to be a fad.. Almost like 50s rock, whose artist died out unlike the ones who followed them..

Early 90s was the shuck and jive era, while good fun was very MTV friendly and therefore like the 80s outgrown by even it's original target market..

Guys like Jay-Z, Nas, Snoop, will draw crowds and be able to carry their acts into their 50s if they wish to... They are pretty much the Rolling Stones of rap.

Blackace pretty much said it all.

Edit:

bob-strange-clouds-tracklist.jpg

Track list is out for BoB's Strange Cloud. Looks to be a great summer album. Every single so far has been pretty good.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Nicki feature gives the album an auto -3 on the score without hearing a single track from it. Chris Brown and Taylor swift another -1 each, and Morgan Freeman adds another +2 back (provided it's that morgan freeman)
So he's starting at a 7 out of 10 right out the gate.

Recon

Banned
Ugh at those features, ill stick to his mixtapes.

That BoB tracklist leads me to think his album will suck again, and maybe even harder than his first.

Nicki feature gives the album an auto -3 on the score without hearing a single track from it. Chris Brown and Taylor swift another -1 each, and Morgan Freeman adds another +2 back (provided it's that morgan freeman)
So he's starting at a 7 out of 10 right out the gate.

The only features I dont like would be Nicki/Trey. I think Taylor Swift is fine for a hook, and there isnt that many features. Every single so far has been great pop-rap. BoB makes good, fun summer music.

Novid

Banned

that the big if. it would show the game reached a mature stage.

I don't see the selfish, entitled opinion of young hip hop fans changing anytime soon. You honestly think Drake will be making grown and sexy hip hop when he's 40, touring for fans who liked him in 2012?

There WILL be classic mainstream hip hop stations eventually, just not anytime soon.

SoilBreak

Banned

Here's the tracklist.

1. Customized Greatly (Intro) (Prod. Uncle Dave)
2. Garden (Prod. Preme Beats)
3. Toe Tag (Prod. Woody)
4. Roses (Prod. Roosevelt)
5. Swag Worth A Mill (Prod. Preme Beats)
6. Go Crazy (Prod. J Poundz)
7. When You See The Kid (Prod. Fly Union)
8. Life Rhymes (f/ Jhene Aiko) (Prod. freshchuck)
9. Nobody (Prod. Krysshun)
10. PNCINTLOFWGKTA (f/ Tyler, The Creator, Domo Genesis, Hodgy Beats x Earl Sweatshirt) (Prod. Tyler, The Creator)
11. You Got It (Prod. Wes Dees) / Fantasy (Prod. Beats4Clothes)
12. Sex Sells (Prod. Polyester & S.O.T.U)
13. Get That $ (Prod. Polyester)
14. Verified (Prod. J-Hawk)
15. Thoughts Weigh (f/ Raheem DeVaughn) (Prod. Tha Bizness)
16. Euphoria III (Prod. Sha Baby)
17. Maybe, I Should Go (Prod. freshchuck)

Recon

Banned
I don't see the selfish, entitled opinion of young hip hop fans changing anytime soon. You honestly think Drake will be making grown and sexy hip hop when he's 40, touring for fans who liked him in 2012?

There WILL be classic mainstream hip hop stations eventually, just not anytime soon.

But that is the point, that hip hop will become like rock is now. You cannot compare hip hop now with rock now because rock has had a hell of a long time to cultivate fans of the genre. We are just seeing the biggest stars of hip hop get old, so this is really early to say the whole genre is disposable and the aging stars of the 90's will not have any fans. That thinking is foolish and the staying power of certain 90's acts continues to disprove that notion.

But that is the point, that hip hop will become like rock is now. You cannot compare hip hop now with rock now because rock has had a hell of a long time to cultivate fans of the genre. We are just seeing the biggest stars of hip hop get old, so this is really early to say the whole genre is disposable and the aging stars of the 90's will not have any fans. That thinking is foolish and the staying power of certain 90's acts continues to disprove that notion.

But even rock fans didn't drop 50s acts, there was simply a generational shift. People who grew up listening to Jerry Lewis and Elvis might not have been completely on board with The Beatles, but their kids were. And it's not like the parents simply dropped interest in past acts either, as most people who liked hip hop in the 80s did. Even if we compare the 50s-70s for rock to the 80s-10s now, there's no comparison.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But even rock fans didn't drop 50s acts, there was simply a generational shift. People who grew up listening to Jerry Lewis and Elvis might not have been completely on board with The Beatles, but their kids were. And it's not like the parents simply dropped interest in past acts either, as most people who liked hip hop in the 80s did. Even if we compare the 50s-70s for rock to the 80s-10s now, there's no comparison.

Disagree.. 50s to 70s was basically the same thing as 80s to 00 in hiphop the 50s crowd was not really into 60s nor 70s rock.. It changed too much and they "grew up"

Recon

Banned

There is no comparison because the sheer amount of Rock fans dwarf the amount of hip hop fans. Compared to Rock, the hip hop genre is tiny. Again, hip hop had a weird birth, and did not become a serious and legitimate genre to the mainstream public until recently. It isnt fair the compare each genre directly. The big artists and groups from the 90's are the best barometer for what we are talking about, and Wu/Jay/Nas etc. are all still very popular. It is too soon to start proclaiming the things you are saying. If anything, the evidence is against you.

Esch

Banned
music overall has changed now though, you cant draw the same parallels with fandom when the record structure has changed so much and everything new is a constant shuffle in and out the door due to internet hype and hate

"old and dusted" is a meme for a reason, but old rappers can still stay alive by cooperating with and HELPING their younger counterparts.... But basically they look at those guys and see soft *******s, and the younger dudes who get popular dont recognize legends

shit man shit

DominoKid

addressing a few things on the last page
- lupe stans rejoice?
- BoB tracklist looks godawful. i'll stick to EPiC.
- surprised (disappointed) there isnt a TDE track on the Casey Veggies tape.
- that mobb deep shit is fake but it was fucking hilarious to watch unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom