• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilBreak

Banned
Q-Tip signs to G.O.O.D. Music

Q-Tip has announced his signing to Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music/Def Jam.

According to a press release, Tip is working on his fourth solo album, tentatively titled The Last Zulu, due in 2013. More details regarding the LP will be announced in the forthcoming months.

The veteran rapper/producer shared his excitement for reconnecting with Barry Weiss, Chairman and CEO of Universal Republic and Island Def Jam, who worked with A Tribe Called Quest to release projects in the ‘90s. “I’m excited to be a part of the great iconic Def Jam label,” said Q-Tip. “I’m humbled to be a part of such a storied history. To reconnect with Barry Weiss is a great thing. As far as G.O.O.D. Music, I'm excited to solidify my working relationship with Kanye, and I look forward to all the opportunities that lie ahead in our partnership. I will do my best to present the most cutting edge music I can.”

Weiss shared similar sentiments. “I am thrilled to be working with Q-Tip once again,” said Weiss. “He is a respected voice in the music community as shown by his acclaimed solo albums and countless contributions to the work of other artists. His creativity continues to surpass all boundaries of hip-hop, R&B, pop, and jazz. We welcome Q-Tip to the G.O.O.D. Music / Island Def Jam family.”

ScHoolboy Q – Funkmaster Flex Freestyle

man those blurred out faces are really fucking unsettling. ruins the video imo

Drake has much higher quality control but you're talking apples and oranges. Wacka is the best at what he does(right now). No one can kill Guns Sounds and Hard in the Paint like Wacka. Sometimes you just want to get hype off a song. Rock music get's along just fine with 8 repeated bars. Same thing Wacka does.

You can call Drake's content garbage but his quality control is really good. I mean hot and cold on, never too far in either extreme. I either casually like him or dislike him. I like the first album fore than most people. I think 10 years from now if I bumped Drake (stuff he has out now obviously) I would go for Thank Me Later.

Shut it Down and Karaoke still his best two songs. Crooning Drake >>>> Rapper Drake. I wouldn't care if he stopped rapping altogether. Whole album of Houstonlantavegas, Shut it Down and Karaoke? Sounds good to me.

Better than more Underground Kings ( he doesn't get the 'z' damn it) and lord knows less Lord Knows. Great beat and good song but not what I want from Drake personally.

Get him out the Lil Wayne lane and more in the Frank Ocean, Novel, Weeknd lane. (they all bow to Lyfe and D')

personally, the reason i hate rapping drake is his weird accent that he puts on these days. on his older shit when he sounded more like himself, he sounded great. now its got some weird twanging lil wayny whatever the fuck hes doing and its really annoying.

shit like november 18th, fear, barry bonds freestyle, the calm, the winner, hell even on forever he was like "normal". that twangy shit is very off putting.

also, am i the only one who thinks "crooner" sounds negative? i always thought it was a mocking way to say singing or something

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Classified- Quit While You're Ahead

Never heard of this dude before, friend linked me this song and I really like it. Anyone have opinions on his albums?

Welcome back. And what a way to return!

RZZhS.jpg
*dead*

Q's Funkmaster Flex freestyles are hot. Also, Tip makes G.O.O.D. music team even stronger. That's a massive pick up, even if it's just Ye wanting to help artists he admires like Common and Pusha. If anything, you can't deny the production stable at G.O.O.D. is working up to something strong, and hopefully a bit more diverse.

I don't like the single choices for this album, mostly the Missy song. But I love this video, the song is fantastic too. Not one I come back to often, but great regardless.

CRS

also, am i the only one who thinks "crooner" sounds negative? i always thought it was a mocking way to say singing or something

a crooner to me a someone that sings emotional, sappy, etc. songs. I guess that's pretty textbook though and may have a negative meaning that I'm not aware of.

Jay Sosa

I don't like the single choices for this album, mostly the Missy song

Really? I especially love that Missy song, beat is awesome and I've always been a big fan of hers. Well at least of her first album, she or rather her music got a bit weird after that.

Has he released the Drake song as single yet? Cause if not I don't really understand why not.

Oh btw..I could swear that the chorus on Nobody's Perfect is sung by 'The Dream' yet he's not credited or am I just imagining things..

super late on this but that hodgy tape has some great production. didnt really give it a chance before cause of the OF affiliation but its got some good shit

a crooner to me a someone that sings emotional, sappy, etc. songs. I guess that's pretty textbook though and may have a negative meaning that I'm not aware of.

oh yeah, i know, i just felt that it sounds more like slang than a real word or something. it just sounds like something negative

Jay Sosa

The drake song was a single off friday night lights.

That song was on FNL? Didn't even know that. Still should've waited til the album was out.

super late on this but that hodgy tape has some great production. didnt really give it a chance before cause of the OF affiliation but its got some good shit

Ha! Listened to it for the first time today on my way home from work and have to agree, dude also is pretty nice on the mic.

Cole's singles flopping should be a red flag, but he seems arrogant enough to blame it on lack of push from the label. Yes, I was wrong about Work Out - it turned into a big hit. But the following singles have gone nowhere, including the Trey Songz one that sounded like a summer anthem to me.

I'm not sure Cole can replicate the success of his first album again by himself. It's time for him to realize he's not that good of a producer, and getting a big name producer to help out a bit isn't an admission of weakness. I'm not saying he should blow his budget on the biggest name, but it's time to work with people who can give his stuff a fuller sound. Sideline Story sounds so...empty and sparse especially when compared to the lush production on Take Care.

I think Cole - and KRIT - seem to have this weird mentality where they feel they're smarter and better than everyone, and therefore don't need help. Both constantly talk about graduating/being smart and it's like duuuude, chill. At least KRIT is a legit producer who has made some incredible stuff. Cole isn't bad obviously, but whereas KRIT's style translates to albums well I don't think Cole's production does.

If Cole wants to just be that guy who sells 300-500k records and tours the world a couple times, he'll keep his current "can't tell me nothing" attitude. If he wants to reach his max potential he'll start branching out. I'd love for Just Blaze to executive produce his next album. Not to fill it with Just Blaze beats, but to hone the sound and make it sound like an actual album.

iavi

zXR7w.jpg

Chill Bump - Back to the Grain

http://chillbump.bandcamp.com/album/back-to-the-grain

*If you were to take Yela and marry him off to a producer that he was down with on an almost telepathic level, you'd get Chill Bump, no joke. The synergy on this tape is one for the books. Do. Not. Sleep.

--Don't sleep on their previous tape either, Starting from Scratch.

ycZd0.jpg

The Seshen - The Seshen

http://theseshen.bandcamp.com/album/the-seshen

*Alt-Soul, like Janelle Monae or even Dessa, and just as fantastic, if not a bit tighter. Don't sleep.

5b77p.jpg

Chief Keef - Back from the Dead

http://www.datpiff.com/Chief-Keef-Back-From-The-Dead-mixtape.324584.html

*Easily the most ignorant shit I've heard this year--Hell, almost in the last two years, but infectious as fuck. And word: the beats do knock. That's that shit I do like.

I mean, just hear this shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcRXJ4piHg

HiResDes

The most ignorant shit award has to go to Mike Dece for 1996:

....But good looks no doubt, my mom is gonna love The Seshen I can tell.

DominoKid

i hate the sound of taylor swifts voice.
its sorta bad instead of completely terrible like i expected.
i guess thats a positive?

instantly unchecked in iTunes when i get the album
not looking forward to hearing this all summer either.

Recon

Banned
i hate the sound of taylor swifts voice.
its sorta bad instead of completely terrible like i expected.
i guess thats a positive?

instantly unchecked in iTunes when i get the album
not looking forward to hearing this all summer either.

Shit is gonna be like Airplanes x10.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shit is gonna be like Airplanes x10.
Not really. It's gonna be huge, but Airplanes sounded like a bigger hit when I first heard it compared to this. Beat ain't clean enough IMO.

Airplanes, Pt. 2 and Empire State of Mind are fantastic songs that I'll never listen to again. A shame.

DominoKid

i still like ESoM. its pretty perfect.

Airplanes annoyed the shit out of me even though I loved it at first. Especially once they started wearing out the Eminem remix.

Jay Sosa

B.o.B, ‘Both of Us’ Feat. Taylor Swift

This song will be fucking huge. I honestly like it too. I just know it will be played so much I will eventually hate it.

Mmh I dunno, the beat is imho not poppy enough (except the chorus and that godawful acoustic guitar).

But dudes gonna sell more than enough thanks to that other song on the radio I heard today..forget what it was called but it sounded a bit like that song about chicks form his last record.

Recon

Banned
Not really. It's gonna be huge, but Airplanes sounded like a bigger hit when I first heard it compared to this. Beat ain't clean enough IMO.

Airplanes, Pt. 2 and Empire State of Mind are fantastic songs that I'll never listen to again. A shame.

Taylor Swift factor man. Im not saying it is a better song, but the Swift factor is gonna drive this to a huge hit.

Ashhong

I agree, Airplanes sounded like a bigger hit upon first listen. But this one has Taylor...so I say it's about equal in the end. Airplanes was huge, so that's not really a bad thing.

The M.O.B

This shit is barely a step above a black eyed peas song.

Black eyed peas always remind me how promising will.I.am was before he got knee deep into autotuned electro club music. I liked some of his early stuff but his stuff now is just ear bleeding.

Can't say I hate that b.o.b song, but after I hear it 1000 times I'm gonna loathe it.

Is anybody else extremely surprised B.o.b and Hayley haven't done another song together? The amount of money another collab could get for them must be tempting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Black eyed peas always remind me how promising will.I.am was before he got knee deep into autotuned electro club music. I liked some of his early stuff but his stuff now is just ear bleeding.

Can't say I hate that b.o.b song, but after I hear it 1000 times I'm gonna loathe it.

Is anybody else extremely surprised B.o.b and Hayley haven't done another song together? The amount of money another collab could get for them must be tempting.
He knows better than to do that and make it obvious he's whoring that avenue out.

So he's doing one better by following the same popular female singer + rap formula as before. We'll see how long he can keep up this schtick before he's forced to do something different. The Taylor Swift thing will help his image more than it will his wallet.

Also: Joe Moses ft. Game & Snoop Dogg - I Do It For The Ratchets (Remix)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
After the twitter fuckery that went down, I'm surprised Prodigy decided to release a song called, "Gangsta Love" like a day after.

kamspy

Druggys With Hoes Again for real tho.

Mercy is good when you cut the Sean verse. Real easy in Audacity. Makes the song a lot more listenable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Druggys With Hoes Again for real tho.

Mercy is good when you cut the Sean verse. Real easy in Audacity. Makes the song a lot more listenable.
Honestly, the Big Sean verse adds a a lot to the vibe of Mercy. I really think it'd be a worse song if he tried to go super lyrical with that shit or if it was removed entirely. The Kanye verse isn't really savageable, and the beat switch ruins the vibe. The only good part about the Kanye bit is the transition back into 2Chainz.

Now we out in Paris, yeah I'm perrierin'. White girls politickin', that's that Sarah Palin.

Jay Sosa

Now we out in Paris, yeah I'm perrierin'. White girls politickin', that's that Sarah Palin.

He's what now?

I love when rappers make up words just for the sake of a rhyme..

btw: I know what he's referring to. Still not a word.

Niggas-In-Paris.png

Recon

Banned
Fucking christ, stop with the fucking kanye talk. Shit goes silent for a day and someone has to be the fucking dumbass and go all "mercy dat shit yo"...please for the love of fucking fuck stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom