• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Tyler needs to give in to the call of the samples. It's limiting him. I also heard hes gonna stop rapping. Thats a mistake IMO, he has a very charismatic voice and delivery and while sometimes he falls short content wise i think he has a bright future on the mic

more than KRIT anyway

Izick

Just listened to Stillmatic. Eh, it was okay. Not as bad as I Am or Nastradomus, but not as good as Illmatic or It Was Written, not even close. Listening to The Lost Tapes, and hoping for something better.

Oh, and The Take Over is better than Ether too.

Detox

Tyler, the Creator
DJ Quik
Whoever does TDE beats (if they'd release a fucking real CD with linear notes I might know)
I don't know who does the beats but MixedByAli does a great job on the engineering side of things. I heard Kendrick passes all his features by him will be interesting to see if Dre completely takes over his role for Kendrick's album.

This aint bad either. Like i siad though, good songs from them are few and far between.

Just listened to Stillmatic. Eh, it was okay. Not as bad as I Am or Nastradomus, but not as good as Illmatic or It Was Written, not even close. Listening to The Lost Tapes, and hoping for something better.

Oh, and The Take Over is better than Ether too.

Ether had a bigger impact overall.

Takeover is a better song. No childish namecalling, real rapping. And Kanye killed it with the production.

kamspy

It's worth digging in their crates 36.

Grab both the OF tapes. Both the Tyler joints. Earl and all the Mellowhype. The Hodgy Beats EP is also dope as hell.

Izick

Ether had a bigger impact overall.

Takeover is a better song. No childish namecalling, real rapping. And Kanye killed it with the production.

Yeah, but only because of how vicious and name-calling it was though. At least that's why I think it did. It was so fucking low-down and dirty, that it just kind of shocked people. Takeover did it a lot more cleaner, and grown-up, and it's just a better song, like you said.

Esch

Banned
My Melody still the most underrated diss track in existence

Takeover was like Jay's hit em up, that shit was vicious, and he hit several targets with it. All of em hurt.

I wish Ether had a less shitty beat.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
My Melody still the most underrated diss track in existence

Takeover was like Jay's hit em up, that shit was vicious, and he hit several targets with it. All of em hurt.

I wish Ether had a less shitty beat.

Ether's beat was really bad.... Funny that it launched dude's career

Esch

Banned
Ether sounds like a 12 year old wrote it. and made the beat.

The first verse is kinda wack, but that 2nd verse dropped some bombs... He shat on Jay's entire persona, i thought it was pretty vicious. Probably the strongest verse in the beef.

Bishman

http://api.ning.com/files/tna-h7vgF...mplaintPrinceetalv1.AspireMusicGroupetal..pdf

Drake is leaving YMCMB / CM.

Contract all fucked
Explain up, I guess that means you all fucked up
You signed to one Nigga that signed to another Nigga that’s signed to three Nigga’s

Now that’s bad luck

tumblr_m4tqjc8OHE1qee5oyo1_500.gif

rap-up-in-2012-drake-screwed-for-millions-thank-pusha-t-&-j-prince-later-2.jpg

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
5 hot producers from the west huh?

DJ Fresh
DJ Mustard
AK-47
Squadda B
Young L

And if i'm allowed to mention a production duo i'd throw in The Mekanix as well. Of course the west isn't really in it's heyday at the moment, but couldn't you say that about every coast?

Blackace

Prince is suing for royalties... Nothing about Drake leaving.

Blackace

5 hot producers from the west huh?

DJ Fresh
DJ Mustard
AK-47
Squadda B
Young L

And if i'm allowed to mention a production duo i'd throw in The Mekanix as well. Of course the west isn't really in it's heyday at the moment, but couldn't you say that about every coast?

Production wise? No you cannot say that about every area...

Bishman

Prince is suing for royalties... Nothing about Drake leaving.

excerpts from Exhibit F (the letter written by drake's lawyer back in april)

Dear Messrs. Bryant and Roberson:

We have been retained as litigation counsel by Aubrey D. Graham p/k/a “drake.” Reference is made to the Exclusive Recording Artist Agreement, as amended on February 11, 2011 (hereinafter the “Aspire Agreement”) and the tri-party distribution agreement dated as of June 16, 2008 between Mr. Graham, Aspire, and Cash Money Records, Inc./Young Money Entertainment, LLC (hereinafter “CM/YM”) (the “Cash Money Agreement”).

As you may know, Mr. Graham’s long-time counsel, ChrisTaylor, has been in discussions with Ron Sweeney concerning a possible renegotiation of the relevant agreements, discussed below. Those negotiations, ending in Mr. Sweeney’s last counteroffer from April 10, have not resulted in an acceptable resolution. Please consider this formal notice that Mr. Sweeney’s counteroffer is rejected.

In addition, and for the reasons explained in further detail below, please consider this formal notice that (1) the Aspire and Cash Money Agreements are terminated by the self-effectuating terms thereof, and (2) the respective terms of such agreements have otherwise expired and/or our client’s album commitment has been satisfied

Aspire has not paid Mr. Graham any of his 80% share of Aspire’s Share at any time during the Term of the Aspire Agreement , and at least three Albums and one EP have been commercially released which have sold in excess of 5 million units without so much as one royalty check flowing to Mr. Graham. Thus we believe that at least one such accounting/payment omission by YM/CM occurred more than 9 months ago.

nder the Aspire Agreement, Mr. Graham is only required to deliver an aggregate of forty (40) masters, or the equivalent of four “Albums” 2 containing at least ten (10) Masters each with a total duration of at least forty (40) minutes per Album. By these standards, inclusive of tracks that YM/CM and Aspire chose to package on a series of EPs, mix tapes, and formal album released, Mr. Graham has already delivered more than an aggregate of forty (40) tracks totaling over one hundred and sixty (160) minutes, thus satisfying his commitments.

Neither Aspire nor CM/YM have accounted to or paid Mr. Graham the artist royalties that are due and owing to him. Therefore, Aspire and CM/YM are in material breach of their obligations under paragraph 8 as well […] Aspire has never accounted to or paid Mr. Graham any royalties received from the sales of his records in Canada. This constitutes an additional material breach of the Aspire and Cash Money Agreements

Accordingly, both Aspire and CM/YM have wholly failed or refused to properly account to and pay Mr. Graham the amounts due to him from the sale of his recordings. As discussed in further detail below, for all royalty periods beginning in 2009 and continuing to the present, Aspire and/or CM/YM have either failed to render accounting statements, or have rendered inexcusably delayed, incomplete, confusing and misleading statements of account. In addition, Aspire’s and CM/YM’s continuous thwarting of Mr. Graham’s efforts to perform a formal audit – primarily through the unwarranted and dilatory interference of their common attorney Ronald Sweeney – have rendered the precise amount due and owing to Mr. Graham impossible to determine at this time. Worldwide sales of Mr. Graham’s EPs, albums or album equivalents are in excess of 5 Million units. It is inconceivable that Mr. Graham’s royalty account has not been recouped

Mr. Graham has authorized us to accord you five (5) days from the date hereof to schedule a meeting to discuss a resolution and settlement of the above-referenced warren of contractual breaches and business abuses[…]In the absence of an acceptable prospective restructuring of the now terminated business relationship, Mr. Graham will be forced to pursue all applicable rights and remedies to their decisive conclusion, including without limitation, the filing of litigation against Aspire, CM/YM, and any other parties as we may deem appropriate

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Production wise? No you cannot say that about every area...

I kinda meant all round from a whole music coming out of each region standpoint but fair enough, which area do you feel has better production nowadays than before? I realise the word 'before' is pretty vague in this context but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Blackace

excerpts from Exhibit F (the letter written by drake's lawyer back in april)

word is that they are still on the fence for suing... I am sure Birdman will cash out before then.. unless he just pulls a Suge Knight..

Blackace

I kinda meant all round from a whole music coming out of each region standpoint but fair enough, which area do you feel has better production nowadays than before? I realise the word 'before' is pretty vague in this context but hopefully you understand what I mean.

I think the east of a whole has really tightened up their production

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
word is that they are still on the fence for suing... I am sure Birdman will cash out before then.. unless he just pulls a Suge Knight..

Let me get this straight, Rap-A-Lot and Drake are suing YMCM because neither have seen a dime from Drake's record sales? Rap-A-Lot suing for royalties is kind of poetic justice in itself.

Blackace

No, the royalty situation. Sounds like he'll at least challenge it, unlike Wanye. Remember there were rumors back in late 2011 that Drake was leaving YM over this

Still hasn't done anything.. This lawsuit is Prince Jr's

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Birdman NEVER loses. He is the grandmaster of stiffing muthafukkas out of money. Belee dat plehboi.

I think the east of a whole has really tightened up their production

Well i've certainly been loving Harry Fraud's production this year. Clams is still doing his thing wherever and some good shit has come out of the east this year but I don't know if I could claim the production has tightened up since people such as DJ Premier, Prince Paul, RZA, Pete Rock, J-Zone etc. were in their primes.

HiResDes

On the real tho, drake has got to be in the top 10 GOAT just cause of how well he sings and does hooks, plus he's a real good rapper
No one got baited by this except me, really.

Also this is the correct order of rap havens:

1. West
2. East
3. Midwest
4. South
5. Canada

Everyone is hip to that southern sound and seems be able to replicate it decent success, making the south less essential. Canada has dope ass rappers like Shad, Kos, Danny!, and that other guy

Esch

Banned
I dont see how the east can't be #1.The classics, the role as a foundation for the genre, the overall emcee level... The east is gonna come back soon, hard, once it fully realizes that its OK to devour and incorporate sounds from the other scenes instead of trying to recreate the glory of the old days. It's already happening.

The South is essential, theyve been running shit for pretty much the entire 2nd half of the naughties and are still commercially on top now.

Blackace

what you saying... he recently produced Currensy's fast cars faster women:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fkeQ3_TnKA
but yeah he doesn't produce much anymore, but by this track you can tell he's still got it.

Before that he made another track for Snoop in 2010... But really isn't doing much.

Making a decent beat every 5 or 6 years doesn't make one a dope producer...

Blackace

Birdman NEVER loses. He is the grandmaster of stiffing muthafukkas out of money. Belee dat plehboi.

Well i've certainly been loving Harry Fraud's production this year. Clams is still doing his thing wherever and some good shit has come out of the east this year but I don't know if I could claim the production has tightened up since people such as DJ Premier, Prince Paul, RZA, Pete Rock, J-Zone etc. were in their primes.

Harry Fraud and Lee Beats are a couple young producers... And along with the other semi young producers like Ron Browz DJ Webster Swizz Beatz, and so..

And the legends you just said..I say yeah they aiight

Blackace

I dont see how the east can't be #1.The classics, the role as a foundation for the genre, the overall emcee level... The east is gonna come back soon, hard, once it fully realizes that its OK to devour and incorporate sounds from the other scenes instead of trying to recreate the glory of the old days. It's already happening.

The South is essential, theyve been running shit for pretty much the entire 2nd half of the naughties and are still commercially on top now.

It's been happening, but I don't think the overall MC level is anything special now compared to rest of the states...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom