• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
If we're going off recent performance Premier did a much better job on the year round records album then Pete did on that Smif-N-Wessun joint. If we're going off the Illmatic crew Q-Tip would be perfect as exec prod.
Seems like Vevo has uploaded most of the Nas SXSW show, damn Pete Rock was there too The World is yours one is dope:
One Time 4 Your Mind
Made You Look
NY State of Mind
Hate Me Now
Life's a Bitch
Nas Is Like
One Mic
The World Is Yours
Phone Tap
It Ain't Hard to Tell
Halftime
Memory Lane
One Love
Represent

Thanks for posting. Look, Nas will never duplicate Illmatic even if the same producers were brought on board. Sony went all out on that album, everyone involved was hungry and alot younger. No way to duplicate that again. We should just be happy we got that classic album.

anyone else going to sweetlife festival? gonna go for cudi, asap rocky, avicii and explosisons in the sky. hope cudi plays more MOTM/AKNC than WZRD but thats seems doubtful

Bishman

TheWeeknd_HouseOfBalloons.jpg

On the anniversary of the mixtape that blew up The Weeknd: the man who made him comes out with this story. Grab your popcorn folks!

And would it be fair to say that you basically conceptualized the Weeknd’s sound. Because the first three songs that leaked were “What You Need,” “Loft Music,” and— “The Morning,” the original version that didn’t make it onto House of Balloons. Which is much slower than the version that wound up on the mixtape.

Yeah, it’s slowed down and has a layered backwards beat on top of a forward beat, so it’s funky that way. The version that you get on House of Balloons wasn’t me. It was whoever, Doc or Illangelo [the officially credited and highly publicized producers of House of Balloons].

Right. When you two first met, was Abel’s creative direction heading in the same direction it has been over the past year?

No. When I met him I heard some of the stuff that he was doing. It was called the Noise. Remember that? It came out after he broke. It was this group, with him and another producer and it was called the Noise. They were a straight kind of R&B, just really light and kind of candlelight… [sings] “I wanna see you in your birthday suit”… And I was just like, “Aw, fuck that shit. No man, let’s talk about, fuckin’ and getting too high and trying to fuck bitches and it not working out. Let’s get really grimy about it.

IrishNinja

If we're going off recent performance Premier did a much better job on the year round records album then Pete did on that Smif-N-Wessun joint. If we're going off the Illmatic crew Q-Tip would be perfect as exec prod.
Seems like Vevo has uploaded most of the Nas SXSW show, damn Pete Rock was there too The World is yours one is dope:
One Time 4 Your Mind
Made You Look
NY State of Mind
Hate Me Now
Life's a Bitch
Nas Is Like
One Mic
The World Is Yours
Phone Tap
It Ain't Hard to Tell
Halftime
Memory Lane
One Love
Represent

nice! good looks man.

Yeah guys, its pretty much official. I get to drive around Memphis with Ghost, smoke blunts, and rail fishscale. Fuuuck.

what the fuuuuuuu
damn man, live that shit up

ps getting ready for my concert in a week or so, bumping this tonight:

PhrenologyMediumRes.jpg

kamspy

JUST BOUGHT YELAWOLF AND RITTZ TICKETS.

and they're playing some little ass college bar like 15 minutes from my house. Fucking college douchebags, but that's alright. I'll let them live so I can watch Rittz and Yela.

kamspy

I hope Yela and Rittz do nothing but their soft songs. It would be hilarious.

Doubt it. Show doesn't even start til 12:00AM and it's in a little drunken college town. Plenty of fine, rich ass 18-20 yr old bitches for me to creep on. Some Daddy's Lambo shit for real. This school is expensive as fuck.

Recon

Banned
Doubt it. Show doesn't even start til 12:00AM and it's in a little drunken college town. Plenty of fine, rich ass 18-20 yr old bitches for me to creep on. Some Daddy's Lambo shit for real. This school is expensive as fuck.

Haha just kidding. That concert sounds dope though. I am really pissed the Danny Brown and Gambino concert got cancelled next week. I havnt been to a show since Lupe last year.

DominoKid

sounds like paradise for me lol.

Tokubetsu

On the anniversary of the mixtape that blew up The Weeknd: the man who made him comes out with this story. Grab your popcorn folks!

To be fair, if you've followed Weeknd even somewhat closely, you're probably aware of most of this. Also, the original version of The Morning sucks.

Either way, shit like this is nothing new in the industry. The face always profits and those behind the scenes, if they're not smart, get left behind/fucked over. Guy sounds like if he had bided his time for a week longer, he would have been sitting pretty right now. Comes across as just bitter. The timing of the article is suspect as hell too. What happened to him blows but you gonna cry about it a year later to some blog/mag looking for hits? Get outta here. If you're talented and this shit happens, you use it to motivate you to work harder/become better.

The M.O.B

http://the-weeknd.com/images/TheWeeknd_HouseOfBalloons.jpg

On the anniversary of the mixtape that blew up The Weeknd: the man who made him comes out with this [URL="http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/how-the-producer-of-the-weeknds-breakout-tracks-got-majorly-screwed"]story[/URL]. Grab your popcorn folks![/QUOTE]

Never knew about this, dude got scrubbed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I feel bad for this dude, but Abel was a dick in this case, if this is indeed true.

The interviewer needs a kick in the nuts for how he words these questions though. And like Toku said, the timing of this is suspect.

I remember a while back someone posted a track, the intro was Snoop from the movie Baby Boy talking shit to that little boy. The song was basically about fucking some kids mom and disrespecting the kid.

It was totally fucked up and my google skills are failing me.

CRS

Some of this is mostly old. Honestly, out of those three tracks that he did, one's a great track, one's average, and the other's a shit track. The demo version of The Morning has nothing on the final version.

If he was smart, he could have used his connection with Abel/The Weeknd and spinned it towards his favor by producing for other artists. Instead he takes the petty route and acts bitter and jealous with this interview. Granted, he might have had taken some criticism for trying to use The Weeknd's name but it's better than the shit he's doing right now.

Recon

Banned
Here's one of my hometown that's actually pretty good.

9th Wonder on the beat.
2nd location in the vid is my high school lol.

another one from the same guy

It's A Wonderful World Music Group is the label 9th runs here in NC
Gotta say I dig what they're doing more than any of the other local acts I've heard.
All we have around here that actually gets noticed are a bunch of shitty Travis Porter clones.

Only good thing out of NC is Mike Posner and J.Cole. Yes I know Mike is not really from NC.

Point the Finga has gotta be one of Pac's best, most ignored bangers. aged extremely well too.
Represent and It Aint Hard to Tell are like musical crack to me at the moment, I been having that on loop for a minute now. Yall know the sample for Represent comes from some fucking soundtrack from a film from 1924? gattdamn, Premier.

Tokubetsu

Phrenology is dope. Can't listen to the second half anymore though. I was in a car crash while Quills was playing haha. Vague memories of ditching the scene to toss drug paraphernalia and the cop asking why I left. Fucking high school.

Represent is my favorite track off of Illmatic....one of the best beats of all time

Mine too.

The brutalizer, crew de-sizer, accelerator/ the type of nigga who be pissin' in your elevator

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some of this is mostly old. Honestly, out of those three tracks that he did, one's a great track, one's average, and the other's a shit track. The demo version of The Morning has nothing on the final version.

If he was smart, he could have used his connection with Abel/The Weeknd and spinned it towards his favor by producing for other artists. Instead he takes the petty route and acts bitter and jealous with this interview. Granted, he might have had taken some criticism for trying to use The Weeknd's name but it's better than the shit he's doing right now.

The article keeps insinuating he's "responsible" for Weeknd's sound. While three songs to the rest of his career is a stretch, if he did change his lyrical content after meeting this dude and switch to a darker tone, he's got an argument.

I be bumping that Balloons of Haus on the regular though. Both remixes of The Morning and The Party >>>

anyone else going to sweetlife festival? gonna go for cudi, asap rocky, avicii and explosisons in the sky. hope cudi plays more MOTM/AKNC than WZRD but thats seems doubtful

was thinking about it a lot. it's on my birthday too. For me, it mostly depends on how hyped up I get about these artists/bands and if any of my friends wanted to go. I used to be really into some them (Shins, Cudi, EitS), but haven't heard much of any of their newest so I'll probably give em a whirl this weekend on spotify. And probably while I'm at it give Asap Rocky a try again.

p.s. my first post in this thead since lurking regularly in OT3.

Tokubetsu

The article keeps insinuating he's "responsible" for Weeknd's sound. While three songs to the rest of his career is a stretch, if he did change his lyrical content after meeting this dude and switch to a darker tone, he's got an argument.

I be bumping that Balloons of Haus on the regular though. Both remixes of The Morning and The Party >>>

Thing is though, unless there some kinda signed document saying so, there is no arguement. He's just some bitter dude who made some beats. That's how things go. If he was responsible for Abels tone shift, he should have just rode it out. It's not like Abel has taken care of the other dudes in his crew/production team. He gave him the stems too which is another thing. You let it go, so why the fuck are you whining now?

Recon

Banned
Thing is though, unless there some kinda signed document saying so, there is no arguement. He's just some bitter dude who made some beats. That's how things go. If he was responsible for Abels tone shift, he should have just rode it out. It's not like Abel has taken care of the other dudes in his crew/production team. He gave him the stems too which is another thing. You let it go, so why the fuck are you whining now?

Giving someone the stems and not having any signed contract to give yourself credit is so damn stupid. It is giving someone free reign to call your beats their own. You lost any control you ever had, so bitching about it just makes you look even more stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom