• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
This is a serious. List like 10 albums you would consider BBQ worthy. You can list more if you want.

Real talk- I've come to realize that Rolling Papers is one of my fav albums of all time, like top 10, maybe 5.

And thats fine.

I didn't even put in my top 10 that year, despite stanning for it, and I don't care anymore. Why? Because music is only as good as the emotions and experiences it conveys and recalls. And for me, Rolling Papers dropped at the happiest point in my life. It was senior year of college, I had just met my gf, and it was the soundtrack to that spring/summer. Every time I listen to this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guzJD6Ymmc
or really anything off that album I recall the friends that I no longer get to see on a daily basis, the first concert that I went to w/ my gf, the final days of college when schoolwork was just a faint thought and all we were concerned with was just fun and friends. So of course, when I take a hard look at myself and my musical preferences, I have to pick Rolling Papers over albums even like 36 Chambers or Illmatic, because despite my appreciation for their brilliance, they don't recall any sort of deeper emotion within me, nor do they link me back to a certain time of my life.

illadelph

2848250565-1.jpg
Jazzmatic

Nas should do his next album with beats from this dude, holy shit

PBY

Banned
you had to post the most justin bieber-ish track of his album.

Its a pop song from a pop album. And thats a strength, not a weakness. It was such an inclusive album, people who like so many diff genres got into it, I remember blasting this during long all-day chill sessions, with huge groups of people and everyone would get into it. And thats the value of accessible music- its basic, easy and disposable. It only leaves a lasting impression when you attach a personal experience to it.

Real talk- I've come to realize that Rolling Papers is one of my fav albums of all time, like top 10, maybe 5.

And thats fine.

I didn't even put in my top 10 that year, despite stanning for it, and I don't care anymore. Why? Because music is only as good as the emotions and experiences it conveys and recalls. And for me, Rolling Papers dropped at the happiest point in my life. It was senior year of college, I had just met my gf, and it was the soundtrack to that spring/summer. Every time I listen to this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guzJD6Ymmc
or really anything off that album I recall the friends that I no longer get to see on a daily basis, the first concert that I went to w/ my gf, the final days of college when schoolwork was just a faint thought and all we were concerned with was just fun and friends. So of course, when I take a hard look at myself and my musical preferences, I have to pick Rolling Papers over albums even like 36 Chambers or Illmatic, because despite my appreciation for their brilliance, they don't recall any sort of deeper emotion within me, nor do they link me back to a certain time of my life.
I actually did want you to list 10 albums you felt fit into that BBQ worthy category lol. Was curious.

Esch

Banned
Sorry Peter. I understand that you love the album, and yea, you might have great reasons to. Pilot Talk and Abandoned Language are in my top 10, and most people dont feel that. That's what a top 10 is supposed to be. personal.

But it's a Wiz Khalifa album man. You know who else was bumping that your senior year? 13 year old white girls. Middle schoolers discovering weed. DominoKid. The frat boys that NeoGAF loves to hate. I can't even remember any tracks on that except Black and Yellow. Shit has like a 12 on metacritic.

Shit sucked, even for Wiz. I could maybe even give you a Kush and Oj or Cabin Fever or Something. Naw.

PBY

Banned
Sorry Peter. I understand that you love the album, and yea, you might have great reasons to. Pilot Talk and Abandoned Language are in my top 10, and most people dont feel that. That's what a top 10 is supposed to be. personal.

But it's a Wiz Khalifa album man. You know who else was bumping that your senior year? 13 year old white girls. Middle schoolers discovering weed. DominoKid. The frat boys that NeoGAF loves to hate. I can't even remember any tracks on that except Black and Yellow. Shit has like a 12 on metacritic.

Shit sucked, even for Wiz. I could maybe even give you a Kush and Oj or Cabin Fever or Something. Naw.

I don't think you're getting me- its not about personal feelings, its about hitting a communal chord that sticks with you. And yeah, most of my friends were in frats and my gf was in a sorority, so it might be just a small cross-section that enjoyed it, but it was the soundtrack to that time period. Its not about rationally analyzing whether something is objectively good or bad- its about what the album or music connotes.

I can break it down, and say yeah, K and OJ or CF were "better"- but they didn't strike that communal chord that made it be appreciated by a whole range of people. If I played K and OJ at a party people wouldn't vibe to it, same w/ Cabin Fever. Rolling Papers was special in that regard for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Finally Famous is that album for me. It's just easy listening for whenever, and the variety of songs on there is just excellent. Shame Big Sean doesn't like this album at all and Hall of Fame won't be the same. I don't know how to fill in this lane now that he's moving away from it.

Esch

Banned
I get it perfectly peter, i was poking fun.

What frat universe do you live in where people fuck w/albums at parties though. I seriously don't get this. In fact, I don't think ive ever been to a single party in my entire life where anyone rocked a single album just like that. Always playlists, mashups, remixes etc etc.

PBY

Banned

What frat universe do you live in where people fuck w/albums at parties though. I seriously don't get this. In fact, I don't think ive ever been to a single party in my entire life where anyone rocked a single album just like that. Always playlists, mashups, remixes etc etc.

Oh its def always playlists. I'm saying tho, that Rolling Papers had like 6 or 7 songs that would make it on there. Push come to shove it could have been played straight. Like I also said, Wiz was the first concert I went to w/ my girlfriend, and it was actually a great time. Shared experiences mang.

In other news, I'm feeling the new Tyga.

caesar

Banned
parties are for busting out the TRAP, i don't wanna hear anything that ain't gonna make the ladies twerk/slow dance to unahmean

PBY

Banned
parties are for busting out the TRAP, i don't wanna hear anything that ain't gonna make the ladies twerk/slow dance to unahmean

Agree and disagree. Trap doesn't do much for sorority girls imho. Day sessions are better served by chiller/happier music. A lot of boy bands, etc.

Esch

Banned
Agree and disagree. Trap doesn't do much for sorority girls imho. Day sessions are better served by chiller/happier music. A lot of boy bands, etc.
Yea they hate that shit

lmao @ being at a frat party and some trap plays and everyones like
scusthov.gif
except like the 20 black people there on some
youngsabu.png
shit

Esch

Banned
Me and PD were arguing at the other place and as a result i found this video

Top 15 Kool G Rap Verses

that Executioner Style verse, mother of god

As I steps inside the playground
I lays down my laws at the door
And any n**** that's lookin for trouble
Gotsta face these silver double-four's
That I be packin on my hip, hollow-tips inside the clip
Ready to rip a n****z shit and make his wig slip
To the side as a homocide's commited
I gets rid of n****z quick cause ain't no bullshit permitted
I'm a outlaw, the motherfuckin villain doin killings, I won't stop
Until the morgue got bodies stacked up to the fuckin ceiling
And ain't no drivebys, a mag and a bag lady, disguised and surprise
You got a hole between your fuckin eyes
Niggaz is grazed, catchin strays from the blaze
Amazed by the ways I lays em down when my shit sprays
Crazy brains hangin, and n****z veins are swingin
Bangin and gunslingin, even my own fuckin ears are ringin
Cause what I carry's much bigger than Dirty Harry's
Do a Hail Mary, I make Bloody Mary's out of your capillaries
Pieces of flesh, hangin off a n****z chest, cause the vest
That he dress, couldn't FUCK with the Smith and Wess'
Motherfuckers runnin for miles, bodies stacked up in piles
I'm killin executioner style

possibly GOAT or top 5 verse

CRS

This is a serious. List like 10 albums you would consider BBQ worthy. You can list more if you want.

One of the few occasions when I listen to mixes/playlists.

Depending on where I go, it would be an iPod with nothing but classic rock/funk/etc. and other times it'd be someone's iPod on shuffle filled with top 40 hip-hop tracks of the past decade. i.e. Mercy would come on followed by Country Grammar.

CRS

Omarion.

hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahhahaahhahaaa.

Whale would be the blue ranger with his depressed-lookin' ass.

Esch

Banned
Naw cuz the green ranger metamorphosed into the white ranger on some beautiful butterfly shit, and the only thing stalley is going to morph into is broke.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If they cast those 5 in a new power rangers show, I'd watch the fuck out of it. Only to see Wale take an L every episode and Omarian get 7 seconds of screen time. Ross in a power rangers outfit tittie slapping the fuck out of bad guys? now thats boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom