• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Lol I haven't either. Pretty sad.

Cudi sounds like he would have been really good in his MOTM 1/2 days. Too much WZRD shit now maybe.
Prob. I saw him right before MOTM 1 dropped so all the shit was new.

Conversely, I saw lupe right after lasers, and wow at that show...

PBY

Banned
I saw lupe right after lasers, great show, with a live backing band.
We prob saw the same tour. He had a live band too, which I loved. What killed the vibe was that he stopped the show to lecture for 10 minutes about how our taxes fund wars and to rebel etc.

hubes

The Roots must be amazing live. Which of the newer rappers do you guys like live? Some vets seem to know their shit, but it seems like younger dudes don't know what they are doing.

ive only seen kendrick, jcole and krit all 3 were really good. i'm going to the roots picnic this summer, absolutely can't wait to see them.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
GFK was aite, never seen Busta, but totally agree on the roots. Questlove djing was also sick.

Yeah agreed I just give him more points for having his people bum rush a guy off stage and into an ambulance... Raekwon's show was better than GFK if all things were equal... I need to see them together though. That's on my rap bucket list. Also questlove is an amazing DJ.

The Roots must be amazing live. Which of the newer rappers do you guys like live? Some vets seem to know their shit, but it seems like younger dudes don't know what they are doing.

I like curren$y's show this was post pilot talk 2 but he was really energized and barely needed a hype man.

Seen Masta Killa, GZA, Raekwon and GhostFace last year on the Wu legends tour.

GZA : Asleep
Masta Killa : Rocked it
Raekwon : Not as hype as he usually is
GFK : Stole the show

Its like Ghost knew RZA and Meth are usually there to keep shit live, and them not being there he stepped up. He needs to take the lead more, dude was great.

codhand

roots are goat live. i love hiphop (obviously), but a good chunk of it is not good live,

of the younger dudes, wiz put on the best show ive seen

Nope, I wouldn't waste money to see Kanye rap out of breath while 2x4 thin women waltz around the stage.

i mean the shit is...

overcast

My friend seemed like he enjoyed Currensy live too. Wouldn't have thought Wiz would get this praise. What are the most important aspects of rap concerts for you guys? Can hype men be as bad as they seem when I see streams?

iavi

Crowd Control,
Crowd Control,

Crowd Control.

Basically. They don't have the spectacle of live instrumentation, and the low end is always cranked to heaven--sound quality being bunk, so crowd control really is all they have to work with.

CRS

I think Curren$y was on time when I saw him. He had the entire Jet Life crew (+ Styles P) with him as well and they performed before him so I didn't really realize it if he was late.

Esch

Banned
Basically. They don't have the spectacle of live instrumentation, and the low end is always cranked to heaven--sound quality being bunk, so crowd control really is all they have to work with.

This, also surprises. I love getting some new shit at a show like

44-KRS-One-LOL.gif

CRS

My favorite act I've been to might be Black Star. Mos didn't act a fool and actually performed. Played their album in its entirety and that night as a whole was super awesome. Warm California night, still high, front and center of the crowd, and as soon as Respiration started playing, there was a light mist/rain that fell on the crowd. Shit was magical.

codhand

busta is pretty great live, saw him during the spliff star days, also speaking of krs, he might be the best live solo act

i saw a krs show where some drunk dude threw a bottle at him and he told the crowd, not to use violence on him, and that he would never learn that way, he then proceeded to finish a shortened set.

crazy part was the next day the local paper said he actually received a broken hand from the incident which had to be treated at the hospital, respek +10

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
tru dat

im looking at you NAS/Curren$y

Yeah curren$y was madddd late but the promoter had things set up to bide time so that it wasn't like the stage was empty for an hour.

Nas show wasn't that good but I was drunk off my ass so I might be wrong. Also this show was post distant cousins but he really just did a set of his classics.

Oh man yeah Mos Def did a great show too. That song he has "cream of the Planet" sounds spectacular over concert speakers. Same for Auditorium. I don't think he did one song off of black on both sides or black star though which sucked.

Jitters

My favorite act I've been to might be Black Star. Mos didn't act a fool and actually performed. Played their album in its entirety and that night as a whole was super awesome. Warm California night, still high, front and center of the crowd, and as soon as Respiration started playing, there was a light mist/rain that fell on the crowd. Shit was magical.

That sounds amazing.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
He exceeded my expectations.

Expected an entourage of weed carriers. Backing vocal track and poorly rapped lyrics.

...But I'll be damned if he didn't rock it like a true school MC.

He was the only one on stage and killed it for 3 hours.
I saw him with Freddie Gibbs like two summers ago? He and Freddie were both great. I was genuinely surprised. Slick Pulla was in Jeezy's entourage, but he only stood on stage at the end of the show. That sorta bummed me out.

It was an outdoor show, and there were some kids standing by a fence trying to listen. Between songs he asked security to go over and let them in and he'd pay for their tickets. I was pretty damn impressed.

Oh shit, Paid Dues?!

I was there with a friend, definitely an awesome experience.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
My friend seemed like he enjoyed Currensy live too. Wouldn't have thought Wiz would get this praise.

What are the most important aspects of rap concerts for you guys? Can hype men be as bad as they seem when I see streams?

I have a few pet peeves for rap shows -

Not having 33 people with mics on stage turned up higher than the featured performer.
Rapping to an instrumental or live band, not the same freaking song I play on iTunes.
Actually knowing the lyrics to the songs, not stumbling and mumbling through the show.
Having some energy and actually performing, not sleepwalking through the show.

As much as I think he is mailing it in currently, Bun B might have been the best show I have been to. It was the album release show for his last album. Live band, only he and the band on stage, really good time. I went to Jay/Kanye also, and I really didn't like the show. It was cool with the set, lighting and screens, but their was no personality to the show. The exact show that Miami got, the same show Las Vegas got, etc. No special guests, same setlist, just the greatest hits played at loud volume.

mehhhh. sorry dipset fans...eli porter still owns that beat. sounding like a broken record right now but mac and cheese 3 is gonna stay being his best project for a little while. should have just made that the album and thrown pop that and freaks on it.

oh and blackace you workin on a summer mix right now? peterboy did a pretty good job and i'd love to hear more. hopefully we get something from ryan hemsworth too

was listening to regulate and fuuuck i love when the beat kicks in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom