• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

I can see that only because Danny and Q kinda overlap. Mac brings something different. Not better, just different.
He's more like Soul and Q combined IMO. He's better than both, if we're being honest.

Danny has more connections outside of hip hop than anyone else (maybe DOOM?) and is pushing the electronic sound hard, which is luckily a popular thing. He's perfect on his label, doing what he's doing.

TDE's management is typical of successes in rap, they are tenacious and aggressive. But they give me the impression that they would restrain their artists to get there. That's just the impression I get.

DominoKid

I dont see that at all from TDE. So far theyve had great success by letting the artists do what got them this far. I see no reason to change until it stops working.

Recon

Banned
How they and Aftermath handled Kendrick shows you they are open to taking risks. A concept album for your debut studio album is not exactly playing it safe.

Revisited this album.
theolondon-roseisland.jpg

So good.

overcast

Didn't see the TDE/Chance signing coming at all. Good for him though. I really liked Acid Rap; Pusha Man is one of my favorite tracks of the year.

I wouldn't want Danny switching labels. Fool's Gold has done extremely well with him.

RJT

I'm excited for the whole album. Yeah, his debut was disappointing, but he had some nice tracks, and at least he's trying something different.

Also, Power Trip is decent.

RJT

Guys, I need your help.

I'll be going to visit America for the first time in early June, and I'll be staying in New York for a week. Is there any hip-hop related thing I shouldn't miss?

I'll be going with my girl, which basically hates hip-hop, so I probably won't be going to shows, but is there anything touristy I can easily convince her to do?

Recon

Banned
Guys, I need your help.

I'll be going to visit America for the first time in early June, and I'll be staying in New York for a week. Is there any hip-hop related thing I shouldn't miss?

I'll be going with my girl, which basically hates hip-hop, so I probably won't be going to shows, but is there anything touristy I can easily convince her to do?

Go to Nas.

Esch

Banned
i mean if you wanna see a show go see a show and she can peel off and do something you might dislike. shouldnt be a problem unless youre whipped

hubes

Guys, I need your help.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/25/rap-quotes-by-street-artist-jay-shells-enlivens-nyc-streets_n_2950382.html

i dont know how many of these have been stolen yet, but i think this would be kinda cool to see.

kamspy

How they and Aftermath handled Kendrick shows you they are open to taking risks. A concept album for your debut studio album is not exactly playing it safe.

teh concept album o teh concept album.

I still haven't read an explanation as to how or why GKMC is more or less a concept album than pretty much any other rap album with consistent skits.

RJT

Go to Nas.

Governor's Ball? Oh shit, Nas and Kendrick on the same day? Fuck, I can't miss that.

i mean if you wanna see a show go see a show and she can peel off and do something you might dislike. shouldnt be a problem unless youre whipped

It's our honeymoon, and I speak much better English than she does... That festival sounds like a plan, she'll probably like other shit there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/25/rap-quotes-by-street-artist-jay-shells-enlivens-nyc-streets_n_2950382.html

i dont know how many of these have been stolen yet, but i think this would be kinda cool to see.

I remember seeing that article, but forgot about it. Thanks.

DominoKid

PopGAF is impenetrable. I don't even bother posting in those threads. Jesus.

It's great reading though except when they get all sales/numbers obsessed. I guess that's the point of pop music but I'd rather argue about who makes more enjoyable music.

Plus there's tons of great reaction gifs.

PBY

Banned
RJ, I'm guessing you're gonna check out times square. Whatever. But try and branch out, walk thru the west village check out brooklyn.

Recon

Banned
teh concept album o teh concept album.

I still haven't read an explanation as to how or why GKMC is more or less a concept album than pretty much any other rap album with consistent skits.

You mean besides almost every damn track being part of the narrative? Other than that, I have NO IDEA.

It's good to be back, but I gotta say shit's been weak brehs. I saw J Cole's struggle cover and just gave up on his album. It's like he's been watching all the illuminati obsession and decided "hey, I can just do something like that too!" Stop following, Jermaine, god damn.

I was initially excited when I saw Kanye projecting nubian beauty on museums, JC Pennies, libraries, and other buildings of western oppression. But then I heard the song and I'm like...eh? Ninja thinks he's Spice-1 now? It's quite different from the typical "fuck white people" militant stuff. Kanye seems legit butthurt over the "white power structure" that runs music, entertainment, etc. To him, losing to Taylor Swift was a sign that white people run shit and he's just a black man - whereas everyone else looked at that and thought "who fucking cares."

Basically he likes white people but he doesn't like The Man, who is stealing Grammys and MTV Video awards from him. He couldn't care less about the prison industrial complex or Trayvon Martin, but whoever ghostwrites for him throws that shit in alongside the MTV/radio/Grammys/etc griping.

I've never witnessed someone with such thick skin, who pretends like he "doesn't give a shit." If you don't give a shit stop complaining, chipmunk muthafucka

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm with you PD, but libraries are a sign of Western oppression? The only source of free education in urban areas and a concept invented by Africans?

DominoKid

maybe i'm too cynical but you're not gonna convince me that the reaction Kanye got after the Swift incident wasn't largely race based. he just had to go and be the mean scary black guy to America's little white princess. whatever though, he's better for it now.

WanderingWind

maybe i'm too cynical but you're not gonna convince me that the reaction Kanye got after the Swift incident wasn't largely race based. he just had to go and be the mean scary black guy to America's little white princess. whatever though, he's better for it now.

Again, white people love Kanye. It had to do with America's sweetheart, no doubt, but more about a 30+ year old acting like an asshole to teenage girl. People are protective about girls. It it had Justin Beiber instead, nobody would've given a shit.

DominoKid

Again, white people love Kanye. It had to do with America's sweetheart, no doubt, but more about a 30+ year old acting like an asshole to teenage girl. People are protective about girls. It it had Justin Beiber instead, nobody would've given a shit.

i just don't have that much faith in America when it comes to matters of race, even w/ a black president shit aint really got better. it's just morphed into different forms. like i said, i'm too cynical.

WanderingWind

i just don't have that much faith in America when it comes to matters of race, even w/ a black president shit aint really got better. it's just morphed into different forms. like i said, i'm too cynical.

So you think the reaction wouldn't have been different if it had been Bieber? I don't doubt that a very, very small portion of people don't like Kanye because he's black, but he's not exactly Marcus Garvey. He's a guy who made songs with Lady Gaga, Adam Levine, Daft Punk and Fergie.

Pretty sure even the KKK likes College Dropout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom