• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

nope. Bieber wasn't a doucher yet so everybody would've felt sorry for him, then again Kanye actually likes Bieber so he wouldnt have ruined his moment.

i wont deny that Kanye has a bit of a persecution complex, but i can't blame him for it. i can somewhat relate although i just bottle it up and try to forget about it for the sake of harmony.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
nope. Bieber wasn't a doucher yet so everybody would've felt sorry for him, then again Kanye actually likes Bieber so he wouldnt have ruined his moment.

i wont deny that Kanye has a bit of a persecution complex, but i can't blame him for it. i can somewhat relate although i just bottle it up and try to forget about it for the sake of harmony.

Okay. Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Nobody would've given a shit if Kanye was mean to Bieber. Or hell, probably anybody that wasn't Taylor Swift.

Kanye got shat on for being an asshole to a petite teenager on live television. If Robin Thicke, Pitbull, etc had done that to her they would have been shat on too. It was worse for Kanye because he's already seen as a selfish, arrogant, entitled POS with limited talent. Race played some part in it, simply due to the "black guy harassing innocent little girl girl" thing, but overall the response was appropriate and predictable.

She was "America's Sweetheart" or whatever. It's the same if some white actor were do something shitty to Jennifer Lawrence, they'd get crucified too.

kamspy

Okay? Lmao so random

I think of A Prince Among Thieves, Deltron 3030 or Dr. Octagon when I think of concept albums. GKMC was just a rap CD with too many slow songs. Good Kid, Sing About Me, Real, Black Boy Fly, Now or Never, Peer Pressure, Splinter's Daughter.... so many Ambien bombs on that piece.

Shoulda been an EP

Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
Backseat Freestyle
Money Trees
The Recipe
Swimming Pools

Backseat Freestyle was the only real flash of brilliance on the thing. When that leaked right before the album I thought Dre pulled another GRoDT. Then the album came out and that was the song everyone didn't like. I felt super disconnected from the general reception of that album. When people call it a concept album it get's me going and I make posts like this. It's a good solid 4 mics album and a good tier below Section 80.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
CGVIkLY.jpg
Fucking amazing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And thus, the kamspy rule was discovered. Had always been lurking among us, right under our noses, but a moment of clarity hath brought it to light.

DominoKid

So I'm down at the lake at a cookout and these people are bumping that Drake cover of Say My Name. This is BBQ approved?

Backseat Freestyle was the only real flash of brilliance on the thing. When that leaked right before the album I thought Dre pulled another GRoDT. Then the album came out and that was the song everyone didn't like. I felt super disconnected from the general reception of that album. When people call it a concept album it get's me going and I make posts like this. It's a good solid 4 mics album and a good tier below Section 80.

I see...

Wtf? Why did this dude cut out 2chainz on Upper Echelon? Kind of funny he didn't bother cutting him out correctly because you hear 2Chainz scream his name then the song cuts out

Edit: Travis Scott I mean

DominoKid

That bbq sounds pretty sleepy-time\pillow-fights. needs some bangers.

I'm posting on GAF lol, that should tell you how great it is. It aint the most entertaining cookout to me because everyone is either <16 or >33. But I'm waiting on the food before I slide out. The women loved it though.

Wtf? Why did this dude cut out 2chainz on Upper Echelon? Kind of funny he didn't bother cutting him out correctly because you hear 2Chainz scream his name then the song cuts out

Edit: Travis Scott I mean

the full one is gonna be on the iTunes release, which i dont get because he already put the full one out for free a month ago.

DominoKid

Ah, I guess label saw single potential *shrugs*

Been listening to that Chuck Inglish - Droptops and shit is hot. You listen to The Dream album yet?

yeah. he's chasing that commercial recognition a bit too hard for my liking, but i dig it. Pussy & Turnt (ratchet) back to back is too sick. Love King is still tops though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listening to this Chance The Rapper for the first time and it's pretty smooth and varied. I kinda hate the whininess in his voice though, I think that will be stopping this tape from having replay in the future.

Just got to the Ab-Soul feature :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Well, at least it's becoming sliiiiightly clearer to most that Ab-Soul can be downright bad more often than not. But that shit was on another level.

IrishNinja

missed a page of pop-gaf shade and people crying about kendrick's AOTY back there

mooooose 59327721 said:
I think you could give ANYONE the Wu catalog, have them start from the beginning and they will eventually love rap and Wu.

36 Chambers > Tical > Return to 36 Chambers > Only Built 4 Cuban Linx > Liquid Swords > Ironman > Wu-Tang Forever

Has there ever been a crew that had such an IMPECCABLE run? All 7 albums are 10/10. I don't know if it was talent + control of the crew, but after Forever it all went to shit. Since then we had Blackout, The W, Supreme Clientele, Bulletproof Wallets, and that's about it for 10/10. And The W is a stretch/personal preference.

I just think Wu is such a waste because they could be The Beatles of rap is a GOOD way. The way they treat their legacy makes them seem so... classless. I guess it's hard to say they had class considering they are all former dust heads but they definitely just said fuck all to trying to quality and innovation when they saw they could make money by shitting out indie LPs and touring to colleges and countries that just got Iron Flag off whatever the local Kazaa alternative.

edit - Also this was the best song on OB4CL 2. No question.

We Will Rob You

A) Raekwon storytelling WASN'T CORNY. He didn't repeat words to rhyme, he had swagger, and the story WENT SOMEWHERE, partially thanks to...

B) GZA! This verse is old, but JESUS he KILLED IT. Supreme alphabets, great imagery, some great vocab. Just science dropped. Has GZA ever had such a straight forward storytelling verse? It was amazing.

C) Slick Rick! Sadly on the chorus. It was a great chorus. I have no idea why he didn't just get a verse because the only downside of the song was...

NEGATIVE) Masta Killa. What the fuck. The song is so thematically straight forward, how did he fuck this up? Just total shit. If it ended with GZA it would've been great.

D) The beat! Produced by GZA's son and RZA! Dude has talent. Sounds like a classic Wu beat to me and fit the song perfectly.

OB4CL 2 was a big disappointment but I guess it wasn't horrible compared to all the absolute shit Wu put out from 1999 to 2008.

not bad, i'd put LS > OB4CL but it's a close call & others would disagree...also We will Rob you is good but hands-down the best track there is House of Flying Daggers, can't believe dilla out-RZA'd RZA with that beat

Let it go moose. You beating a dead horse. No one gives a shit anymore.

fam you thinkin bout your paula absoul or whoever here

IrishNinja

+1, he really did a bang-up job there - plus it'd prolly stay updated too which is always cool

ya'll gonna have to work to top this one's title though

Liquid Swords>36 Chambers>OB4CL>Supreme Clientele>Wu-Tang Forever>Ironman>Fishscale>Tical>Bulletproof Wallets (OG)

(I haven't heard Tical in years though, so maybe I'm underrating it)

IrishNinja

man, i keep hearing you guys say that, but i don't feel it at all

1. "Tical"
2. "Biscuits"
3. "Bring the Pain"
4. "All I Need"
5. "What the Blood Clot"
6. "Meth vs. Chef" (featuring Raekwon)
7. "Sub Crazy"
8. "Release Yo' Delf" (featuring Blue Raspberry)
9. "P.L.O. Style" (featuring Carlton Fisk)
10. "I Get My Thang in Action"
11. "Mr. Sandman" (featuring RZA, Inspectah Deck, Streetlife, Carlton Fisk, Blue Raspberry)
12. "Stimulation"
13. "Method Man (Remix)"

i think ive skipped 10, maybe 12? the rest of it just goes, for me - meth is mad consistent and i liked the grimy production here. it's a whole different feel than his other albums, holds up really well for me. i know what PP's saying is true, and i'd love to hear what was originally there, but what we got didn't strike me as rushed either, just not RZA's best is all.

but then again, i liked Tical 2000: Judgment Day, dude's one of my favorite MC's. was just arguing that Lux track with my boy, how Red's still good but kinda falling off/lacking energy, where Meth just stays on point, i typically like even his lazier verses.

what don't ya'll like off here?

Don't get me wrong, Ive played the shit outta that album. Ive bought the CD twice cause the first one got fucked up from getting swapped out so much.

Just the production overall. PP nailed it, it sounds so unpolished or something. Obviously that last minute scraping to replace all the beats.

I know its ironic to call it unpolished when 36s whole sound is built off that raw unpolished sound, but in comparison to that album it just sounds off.

Its still a classic to me but when you think of what it could of been it puts in perspective of how much the production is lacking.

Fuck it I need to throw it on now

You guys do this just to feed 36 Chambers don't you?

Your right, lets go back to talking about Kendrick

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who's got the next GAF-Hop OT? If no ones called it Enzo should do it. That Kanye OP looks sick
I was gonna ask to do one of them eventually! And now that my job hunt has reached a standstill I've got more time than ever!

We'll see. I want a great idea and a theme though, and some time to make it special.

IrishNinja

oh yeah...36, ready to die, midnight marauders, there's albums ive had to buy 3-4 times cause of scratches, theft, ex's jacking etc

I know its ironic to call it unpolished when 36s whole sound is built off that raw unpolished sound, but in comparison to that album it just sounds off.

exactly, i recall taking that minimal/dank sound as very deliberate at the time, maybe it was a source piece where RZA was talking about the different sounds for each member (chef was getting strings/a sort've epic crime cinema piece etc). learning that we missed something bigger is always sad, but i try to judge it on what's here, and like you, i'm currently spinning it so

YO MOMMA DONT WEAR NO DRAWS....I SAW WHEN SHE TOOK THEM OFF

Your right, lets go back to talking about Kendrick

shit's like a game of tennis right here

DominoKid

Man in a perfect world, The-Dream would be a fucking megastar. If only Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Frank Ocean, Miguel and a few other folks didn't exist...

I'm honestly fucking baffled he doesn't have more solo hits. Like...I can't even put my friends onto him. Shit just doesn't work. IDK what it is that folks don't like about him. Maybe it's because he looks like a mole or something. No wonder he's always talking shit on his records. I'd be salty as hell too.

He came down to the simpletons level w/ most of this album, albeit w/ them special flourishes he always puts on his shit. So if he doesn't have any hits off of this album then I fucking give up trying to understand how this shit works. I fully expect to hear Turnt (w/ Beyowulf and 2 CHAAAAINZ) get ran into the ground, and yet I know it won't. I don't understand...

At least he can always fall back on the assload of hits he's given to other people. But I want my dude to get some shine.

IrishNinja

maccas you're like that tamagotchi i forget to feed, so you just make weird beeping noises and shit everywhere until i pay attention

clearly, it works

Tokubetsu

Man in a perfect world, The-Dream would be a fucking megastar. If only Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Frank Ocean, Miguel and a few other folks didn't exist...

I'm honestly fucking baffled he doesn't have more solo hits. Like...I can't even put my friends onto him. Shit just doesn't work. IDK what it is that folks don't like about him. Maybe it's because he looks like a mole or something. No wonder he's always talking shit on his records. I'd be salty as hell too.

He came down to the simpletons level w/ most of this album, albeit w/ them special flourishes he always puts on his shit. So if he doesn't have any hits off of this album then I fucking give up trying to understand how this shit works. I fully expect to hear Turnt (w/ Beyowulf and 2 CHAAAAINZ) get ran into the ground, and yet I know it won't. I don't understand...

At least he can always fall back on the assload of hits he's given to other people. But I want my dude to get some shine.

Honest to god, all the people I know that love the-dream aside from myself and handful of gaffers are female. That's the only thing I can add to this. Most dudes just don't fuck with him at all and don't care to.

I still don't know how Dope Bitch didn't blow up and he had to fight label to get IV Play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom