• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Jay Sosa

They'll like it when it comes out, then hate it 3 months later.

The cycle.

Second thought, maybe not with Kanye lol

I'll hate it at first and then I'll hate it even more. And then I'll actually hear some songs (too old to have friends that listen to stuff like that and stopped listening to radio a long time ago) and finally my hate will reach it's peak.

Recon

Banned
I liked MBTDF at first, but once the hype died down, I was left with a shallow album that was almost half filled with GOOD friday tracks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I liked MBTDF at first, but once the hype died down, I was left with a shallow album that was almost half filled with GOOD friday tracks.
If MBDTF is shallow, the rest of Ye's discography -bar 808s- is pretty much a barren desert. Pretty much the most thought he's ever put into a narrative, and it's just as personal as 808s.

G.O.O.D. Friday tracks were still good, semantics or a different release schedule for singles from the norm doesn't prevent me from enjoying the music any less. In an age of leaks and people listening to the entire thing before they buy it anyways, I've always found that an odd complaint.

You just willingly started the Kanye cycle damnit

coldvein

Banned
i will say that i posted "ready for Yeezus" as a status update on fb and at least seven people liked it.

so i think the nation is ready. triple platinum

Recon

Banned
What songs on that album are shallow aside from the posse cut songs?

The whole album was shallow. It was like Kanye had this great idea for an album, but instead of doing it right, he over produced the shit out of it and had baby's first nursery rhymes as content. Dont get me wrong, it was catchy at first. But jesus, his rhymes were somehow worse than his debut. Kanye was never deep, but on MBDTF he pretended he was Nas, but what we got was Lil B.

If MBDTF is shallow, the rest of Ye's discography -bar 808s- is pretty much a barren desert. Pretty much the most thought he's ever put into a narrative, and it's just as personal as 808s.

G.O.O.D. Friday tracks were still good, semantics or a different release schedule for singles from the norm doesn't prevent me from enjoying the music any less. In an age of leaks and people listening to the entire thing before they buy it anyways, I've always found that an odd complaint.

You just willingly started the Kanye cycle damnit

TCD and LR were personal. MBDTF was him trying to be personal without much substance to back it up. Big difference. Either way, I know I will enjoy Yeezus, as my tastes have changed dramatically since MBDTF. And fuck the Kanye Cycle, I am just dropping Truthfacts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i will say that i posted "ready for Yeezus" as a status update on fb and at least seven people liked it.

Will only go triple platinum if they count the streams. Otherwise, I don't see Ye hitting platinum.

The whole album was shallow. It was like Kanye had this great idea for an album, but instead of doing it right, he over produced the shit out of it and had baby's first nursery rhymes as content. Dont get me wrong, it was catchy at first. But jesus, his rhymes were somehow worse than his debut. Kanye was never deep, but on MBDTF he pretended he was Nas, but what we got was Lil B.
This is absurd. There's no way Kanye's lyricism isn't at it's peak at MBDTF.

I think you need to listen to College Dropout again and see how basic those rhymes are.

EDIT: With regards to your edit, MBDTF is definitely personal. I don't know how you can miss the deterioration of his ego and the reality/fantasy(ies) duality that shifts in balance as the album progresses.

Jay Sosa

He would go triple platinum if he releases a blank disc. He's this generations MJ.

Kanye was never deep, but on MBDTF he pretended he was Nas, but what we got was Lil B.

I know that Lil'B isn't exactly a very great rapper but come on..compared to Kanye he's Nas mixed with Common with a little bit of Rakim on top.

already getting warmed up for when the album drops

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye's brand is too damaged for him to do insane numbers again.

I know a ton of people that will go around screaming THAT SHIT CRAY but still hate Ye's guts.

I put his top end at 650k and even still I think he'll be brought down further by the lack of proper packaging etc. The only good thing about that album art decision is that Ye is still feeling himself hard, which is good to know.

Jay Sosa

Kanye's brand is too damaged for him to do insane numbers again.

I know a ton of people that will go around screaming THAT SHIT CRAY but still hate Ye's guts.

I put his top end at 650k and even still I think he'll be brought down further by the lack of proper packaging etc. The only good thing about that album art decision is that Ye is still feeling himself hard, which is good to know.

650?

you're cray.

Detox

Let me put it in simple terms, Mac going to burn Ye's soul on the 18th. Ye says fuck the corpororations when he is shackled in bed with them. Meanwhile Indie Mac can do whatever he wants, shit he will probably make more money than Ye does off his album.

DominoKid

lol Ye don't give a fuck about how much money he makes off an album. he aint never been on that scoreboard shit like big brother. besides he gets his money other ways.

cdyhybrid

Let me put it in simple terms, Mac going to burn Ye's soul on the 18th. Ye says fuck the corpororations when he is shackled in bed with them. Meanwhile Indie Mac can do whatever he wants, shit he will probably make more money than Ye does off his album.

Ye doesn't need to make money off the album though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Call back when Mac Miller makes Forbes list consistently. Also Ye completely understands his corporate restrictions. You really can't criticize a dude for being "shackled" who can tell a label he wants an album with no album art, doesn't want to do interviews, and will promote his album however he pleases and they do it all. Ye has maximum free reign and makes the most of what Def Jam/Rocafella can offer. Also Ye sorta acknowledges this duality too on New slaves.

Detox

Call back when Mac Miller makes Forbes list consistently. Also Ye completely understands his corporate restrictions. You really can't criticize a dude for being "shackled" who can tell a label he wants an album with no album art, doesn't want to do interviews, and will promote his album however he pleases and they do it all. Ye has maximum free reign and makes the most of what Def Jam/Rocafella can offer. Also Ye sorta acknowledges this duality too on New slaves.
Yasiin Bey did the cover under Jimmy Iovine. How is he doing promotion however he wants? He pulled off an expensive publicity stunt, you think Def Jam were dragging their feet screaming noooo don't do it we want to debut your song on big boys neighbourhood? He doesn't do interviews because his ego can't handle it and he will say some dumb shit, the label probably prefers it this way. Kim's publicity is bigger than anything Def Jam couldmhustle up for him. Just remember If Kanye really goes against his label he'll be twiddling his thumbs for the rest of his life not able to release anything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Watching the Blaze/Guru part 2, and Keep It Real Wednesdays sounds like it should be done today via live stream, and it seems like a concept that's sort of done en masse with blogs today.

Yasiin Bey did the cover under Jimmy Iovine. How is he doing promotion however he wants? He pulled off an expensive publicity stunt, you think Def Jam were dragging their feet screaming noooo don't do it we want to debut your song on big boys neighbourhood? He doesn't do interviews because his ego can't handle it and he will say some dumb shit, the label probably prefers it this way. Kim's publicity is bigger than anything Def Jam couldmhustle up for him. Just remember If Kanye really goes against his label he'll be twiddling his thumbs for the rest of his life not able to release anything.
So what are the shackles you speak of? This shit to go against when he's pretty much already done it all, and they didn't flip their shit on him when he crashed an award show the first time? Or these label disadvantages that hurt a pop, larger than life artist that wouldn't hurt Miller should he be in the same position? The push is good for Ye. The dumb shit is good for Ye. Ye is in complete control.

Ye can go to Def Jam with his Shower Singing LP and Def Jam will trust that shit will sell, marketed or not.

tumblr_mbzs8xeO361rd9sfuo1_500.jpg

dug out my vinyl copy of this. listening to it right now, this album is still as dope as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom