• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

looks like some generic shit Target would bundle with the purchase of some paper towels
tumblr_m9slrrIJdQ1ry937io1_250.gif

So I've been listening to this Cole album during my trip up north. Strong opening track, Cole rhyming hard and "different" from his normal style. In fact he's rapping hard throughout the album, and it has a few stand out tracks. She Knows sounds like a hit, Chaining Day is a dope song, and Let Nas Down might be Cole's best song. Lyrically it's very impressive and not what I expected. That track is far from the stan shit I thought it would be, even if I still hate the title.

Overall the album is better than Sideline Story. But brehs, I decided to whip out GKMC to compare the albums back-to-back. It's amazing how small Born Sinner sounds when compared to GKMC, or Take Care. The live instruments on GKMC sound crisp, the basslines are great, the drums knock...and pretty much none of this applies to Born Sinner. It just sounds off, even. Villuminati is a great example...listen to those wack drums. The strings stand out but overall the track sounds very busy and not in a good way.

Or listen to Chaining Day, which sounds quite like Suit & Tie (including the mid song breakdown). Listen to that bassline and how deliberate it is, at the beginning. It just sounds awkward compared to most basslines you'll hear on...just about anything.

TLDR: This is Jesus Piece II, just with no guest verses. You can tell Cole tried for a theme but it's so generic and worn out that it never really feels cohesive. If this is his response to GKMC I think it's safe to say...he just doesn't have it, ladies and gentlemen. Until he gets with an exec producer (Just Blaze?) and more outside beats I just don't see him making a great album. This album doesn't suck, it's just forgettable.

6.8/10

DominoKid

So I've been listening to this Cole album during my trip up north. Strong opening track, Cole rhyming hard and "different" from his normal style. In fact he's rapping hard throughout the album, and it has a few stand out tracks. She Knows sounds like a hit, Chaining Day is a dope song, and Let Nas Down might be Cole's best song. Lyrically it's very impressive and not what I expected. That track is far from the stan shit I thought it would be, even if I still hate the title.

Overall the album is better than Sideline Story. But brehs, I decided to whip out GKMC to compare the albums back-to-back. It's amazing how small Born Sinner sounds when compared to GKMC, or Take Care. The live instruments on GKMC sound crisp, the basslines are great, the drums knock...and pretty much none of this applies to Born Sinner. It just sounds off, even. Villuminati is a great example...listen to those wack drums. The strings stand out but overall the track sounds very busy and not in a good way.

Or listen to Chaining Day, which sounds quite like Suit & Tie (including the mid song breakdown). Listen to that bassline and how deliberate it is, at the beginning. It just sounds awkward compared to most basslines you'll hear on...just about anything.

TLDR: This is Jesus Piece II, just with no guest verses. You can tell Cole tried for a theme but it's so generic and worn out that it never really feels cohesive. If this is his response to GKMC I think it's safe to say...he just doesn't have it, ladies and gentlemen. Until he gets with an exec producer (Just Blaze?) and more outside beats I just don't see him making a great album. This album doesn't suck, it's just forgettable.

6.8/10

i was surprised he put that on the album considering Suit & Tie just knocked it out of the parck w/ that same sample.

mooooose

As good as Old will probably end up being, I don't see Danny Brown selling shit.

Ace - that's some doo doo bruh. Sequencing is fine, it's just the sounds themselves. Don't use the presets.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

mooooose

Yo that Ye beat on the new Pusha/2Chainz/Big Sean is BONKERS. Not feeling the song as a whole as much tho.

Same, I wish it somehow could've been given to Danny Brown. Same with Numbers on the Board. He killed it. Though I've come around to Numbers on the Board a lot. It's a weird song but Pusha did something kinda exceptional with it.

PBY

Banned
Good stuff. A few things-
1- vary the key sounds. Right now they all have the same intensity. They also sound too "clean" and bright, throw some effects over em. Maybe play w arpeggiation
2- drums sound nice.
3- mix is surprisingly good, it's tough to do as a beginner but it's awesome.

Overall good stuff. Throw in more change ups and layers and you got a stew

Placeholder? The piano melody is fine, but played straight like that makes it sound too simple and clean, like a kid is playing it or something. Maybe chop up some more haunting or ethereal piano chords but use the same melody (which sounds fine to me).

And personally I'd go for a different 808 sound, but if the goal is to make something similar to current trap rap I guess keep it.

I met this gorgeous ass door to door salesperson the other day, but I don't know how to approach this. I know all they care about is selling me their shit, which is a good deal actually, but what do I do. I have her "personal" number for questions/concerns, but I don't want to mess this up since I still want the deal and to have sex with her, possibly multiple times.

iavi

I met this gorgeous ass door to door salesperson the other day, but I don't know how to approach this. I know all they care about is selling me their shit, which is a good deal actually, but what do I do. I have her "personal" number for questions/concerns, but I don't want to mess this up since I still want the deal and to have sex with her, possibly multiple times.

Did you ever broach the idea of calling her about something other than sales related questions/concerns?

Macca

Forget it man, she's probably banging some Soundcloud rapper.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ace - that's some doo doo bruh. Sequencing is fine, it's just the sounds themselves. Don't use the presets.

Well it is a rough first time mix.. But I will try to find a better sound in them

I'm not very well versed on the technical aspects of best making but when I eventually get to a computer I'll try to give some opinion on it.

Good looking

Good stuff. A few things-
1- vary the key sounds. Right now they all have the same intensity. They also sound too "clean" and bright, throw some effects over em. Maybe play w arpeggiation
2- drums sound nice.
3- mix is surprisingly good, it's tough to do as a beginner but it's awesome.

Overall good stuff. Throw in more change ups and layers and you got a stew

That makes sense.. I am of course planning to do some change ups but just wanted to see if it was working or not..

Placeholder? The piano melody is fine, but played straight like that makes it sound too simple and clean, like a kid is playing it or something. Maybe chop up some more haunting or ethereal piano chords but use the same melody (which sounds fine to me).

And personally I'd go for a different 808 sound, but if the goal is to make something similar to current trap rap I guess keep it.

Well, this is really the 2nd beat I have ever tried to make.. lol so guess it's all placeholder lol

Did you ever broach the idea of calling her about something other than sales related questions/concerns?
Nah man ur nuts

Lol he probably just stuttered while she gave her spiel. Did you at least flirt with her?!
Damn I'm not like a gaffer when it comes to females or anything. I just don't understand how salespeople work. My spaghetti was firmly in my pockets while I was talking to her.

Blackace

Damn I'm not like a gaffer when it comes to females or anything. I just don't understand how salespeople work. My spaghetti was firmly in my pockets while I was talking to her.

lol talk to her like you would anyone else

Yea I dont know what I expected from that question to be honest, but yo Verizon fios with no activation fee, no contract, no termination fee and at only 80 bucks a month sounds so good. I need to know what's wrong with it.

You're gonna call her pretending you're interested in the products she's selling aren't you?

Don't do that.

Fios is dope tho. Say you're not interested and then maybe down the road she can get you a hook up. Worst case you can still get that fios deal if she's not interested, I'm sure she has a quota to meet.

Set up a follow up, but make sure you set it up a couple days in advance. Cook a nice lunch or dinner, and when she shows up be like "ohhh hey I forgot you were coming. Well I made some food, would you like some?" Don't fuck this up by making some struggle sandwich either breh. Do something nice, like a wrap. Something quick and sexy.

Buy the product. Then be like "well since I'm technically not a customer anymore....want to go out sometime?"

Things is, I do want what's she's selling. Like that deal is great.
Oh and I have no Internet so I'm thirsty for something and here comes cheap ass fios knocking at my door.

CRS

Set up a follow up, but make sure you set it up a couple days in advance. Cook a nice lunch or dinner, and when she shows up be like "ohhh hey I forgot you were coming. Well I made some food, would you like some?" Don't fuck this up by making some struggle sandwich either breh. Do something nice, like a wrap. Something quick and sexy.

Buy the product. Then be like "well since I'm technically not a customer anymore....want to go out sometime?"

hahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahaha

Blackace

Listened to it. The only qualm I have is that like someone mentioned earlier theres no switch up. Also, I don't like the scale you're using on the piano. It's too low.

Nice! Thanks!

Beat switch ups don't really happen in the start of a track right?

LOLGoogle ads.

IyVySTZ.png

You don't need her Muddy. Avoid all Fios talk.
lmao
whelp, guess I'll call her tomorrow, but it looks like I can't make that Fios deal in time. Kinda disappointing.

err I actually don't know of I'm reading that deal right. w/e I'll worry about it later, but I'm hoping for both.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nice! Thanks!

Beat switch ups don't really happen in the start of a track right?
I don't believe it's common but I'm sure it happens. The fact that you said this is your second beat makes me want to start doing this too. I always have random melodies in my head.

Blackace

I don't believe it's common but I'm sure it happens. The fact that you said this is your second beat makes me want to start doing this too. I always have random melodies in my head.

It's much harder to get them out than you could imagine.. lol

Also doing it very bare bones at the moment... nothing but computer and mouse.. no midi..

I'm telling you, a man who can cook is impressive to chicks. The beautiful thing about wraps is that they make a girl think "wow, he made something this nice on such short notice. Imagine what he could do in an hour..." Trust me, it's food as a metaphor for sex shit that goes back hundreds of years.

Still, I can't see it working if you don't buy her product. She probably gets hit on all the time by dudes who just want to waste her time, you don't want to fall into that category.

Blackace

I'm telling you, a man who can cook is impressive to chicks. The beautiful thing about wraps is that they make a girl think "wow, he made something this nice on such short notice. Imagine what he could do in an hour..." Trust me, it's food as a metaphor shit that goes back hundreds of years.

Still, I can't see it working if you don't buy her product. She probably gets hit on all the time by dudes who just want to waste her time, you don't want to fall into that category.

Cooking is awesome way to seal the deal.. opening the deal with it is creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom