• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

Those are the rappers who were most relevant and had the most power in hip hop, in that order. They weren't the best, my favorite, or most deserving of being on a top list, but for a MTV list, those are the answers, in that order.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Those are the rappers who were most relevant and had the most power in hip hop, in that order. They weren't the best, my favorite, or most deserving of being on a top list, but for a MTV list, those are the answers, in that order.

but they weren't... They were relevant but as far as what I saw from clubs to radio play Drake was no where near the most relevant rapper last year

2chainz was everywhere. Didn't care for him when I first heard him a while back as tittyboi but this past year made me make a total 180 on him.

Reminds me of Snoop, not in style or flow or anything like that, but in the ability to go on almost any track and make it more fun and exude good vibes.

Detox

MTV mention LiG went gold, dope year for Nas. Apparently the Hennessy deal is a good one too and he should drop his next album this year. Nas' putting in work, he's touring Europe again with Meek supporting him.

Feeling like there going to snub Kendrick Lamar and put 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne as the top two for the MTV list. Would be satisfied with K.dot and 2 Chainz in the top two spots though.

thabiz

Even though I love K.dot and GKMC and he's had a big presnece this year 2 Chainz literally BLEW THE FUCK UP memorable feature verses, gold album, hit singles he more than deserves the top spot in terms of hotness.

dude was on a primetime sitcom. EVERYONE knows who he is.

codhand

if you want next level shit check that cult favorite.

robinh.gif

i take that gif back, i thought cult favorite was the thing you posted earlier today, this is good though, got my band camp bands mixed up

A logical list would be as follows

DISCLAIMER: I am not a fuck ninja or soulja girl. This is just a list based on the "hottest" rappers, ie who has dominated the last 12 months in terms of sales, radio play, buzz, clubs, etc.

1. 2Chainz

It seems like every year there's a new southern dude who blows up on the internet, does a bunch of big features, has a radio hit...then releases their album and it semi flops. 2Chainz did all that except his album easily went gold. I can't think of many mainstream rappers with more memorable lines than him, and from what I understand the ninja has a Bachelor's degree or something. He found his niche and is just winning. Every fucking day.

2. Drake

Yes, that corny motherfucker is still arguably the biggest rapper in the US outside of Wayne and Eminem. Every song he's featured on becomes a radio staple, and every track he puts out becomes a hit. Remember when Headlines came out and niggas was like "that shit is wack, not going anywhere..." Well yes it was wack but still became a hit and has 40m views on youtube. I can't see anyone toppling Drake's future.

3. Kendrick Lamar

Had a huge year so I put him here. That being said I don't think he has the potential of Drake in terms of mainstream longevity. It's hard to imagine Kendrick dominating the feature game for instance

4. Wayne

Every song he puts out shoots up the charts, end of story

5. Big Sean

Can't deny what he did, even I'm disgusted this cheesy motherfucker is from my city. Some of the biggest feature verses of the year, and Guap made some waves

6. Kanye West

Cruel Summer was meh but let's not pretend like it didn't have three or four of the biggest records of the year, the Mercy video was pretty big too.

7. ASAP Rocky

Huge hit song (largely due to Drake and 2Chainz to be fair) and his album has sold surprising well despite the leak. I thought his "movement" was just some internet oceans but it seems real so far.

8. Rick Ross

Oh how the mighty have fallen. GFID was supposed to be the album that secured Ross as here to stay. Instead it was delayed multiple times due to singles flopping (including a criminally wasted Just Blaze beat) and siezures. Sure the album went gold but it just didn't...matter much. I still put him here because he's still on a bunch of big features.

9. Meek Mill

His album sold well by 2012 standards, Amen was a big record, and he got into a publicized battle with whats-his-face.

10. TI

His album is guaranteed to go gold after quite a comeback. The dude also had a couple hits and has more stashed away (that record with Pink will be big).

A logical list would be as follows

DISCLAIMER: I am not a fuck ninja or soulja girl. This is just a list based on the "hottest" rappers, ie who has dominated the last 12 months in terms of sales, radio play, buzz, clubs, etc.

1. 2Chainz

It seems like every year there's a new southern dude who blows up on the internet, does a bunch of big features, has a radio hit...then releases their album and it semi flops. 2Chainz did all that except his album easily went gold. I can't think of many mainstream rappers with more memorable lines than him, and from what I understand the ninja has a Bachelor's degree or something. He found his niche and is just winning. Every fucking day.

2. Drake

Yes, that corny motherfucker is still arguably the biggest rapper in the US outside of Wayne and Eminem. Every song he's featured on becomes a radio staple, and every track he puts out becomes a hit. Remember when Headlines came out and niggas was like "that shit is wack, not going anywhere..." Well yes it was wack but still became a hit and has 40m views on youtube. I can't see anyone toppling Drake's future.

3. Kendrick Lamar

Had a huge year so I put him here. That being said I don't think he has the potential of Drake in terms of mainstream longevity. It's hard to imagine Kendrick dominating the feature game for instance

4. Wayne

Every song he puts out shoots up the charts, end of story

5. Big Sean

Can't deny what he did, even I'm disgusted this cheesy motherfucker is from my city. Some of the biggest feature verses of the year, and Guap made some waves

6. Kanye West

Cruel Summer was meh but let's not pretend like it didn't have three or four of the biggest records of the year, the Mercy video was pretty big too.

7. ASAP Rocky

Huge hit song (largely due to Drake and 2Chainz to be fair) and his album has sold surprising well despite the leak. I thought his "movement" was just some internet oceans but it seems real so far.

8. Rick Ross

Oh how the mighty have fallen. GFID was supposed to be the album that secured Ross as here to stay. Instead it was delayed multiple times due to singles flopping (including a criminally wasted Just Blaze beat) and siezures. Sure the album went gold but it just didn't...matter much. I still put him here because he's still on a bunch of big features.

9. Meek Mill

His album sold well by 2012 standards, Amen was a big record, and he got into a publicized battle with whats-his-face.

10. TI

His album is guaranteed to go gold after quite a comeback. The dude also had a couple hits and has more stashed away (that record with Pink will be big).

Good List I'd just swap T.I. with Future.

Kwixotik

I'm really liking what I've heard from Main Attrakionz so far. I just listened to 808s & Dark Grapes II, about to check out the first one.

Edit: I can't find the first one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom