• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
What is 2%??

Whole milk is fantastic, couldn't have cereal without it.

in the late 80s early 90s, americans were convinced due to some misleading medical studies that fat is critically bad for your diet, especially in regard to heart disease, so low fat versions of everything came out, including milk with tiered fat percentages.

Shit sucks.

Whole milk.

The percentage of fat in the milk.

Also called "reduced fat milk".

in the late 80s early 90s, americans were convinced due to some misleading medical studies that fat is critically bad for your diet, especially in regard to heart disease, so low fat versions of everything came out, including milk with tiered fat percentages.

Shit sucks.

Whole milk.

Ahhh thanks. Always hear it in TV shows and movies and never understood it.

Just called Low fat or Light milk here.

But yeah Whole milk is the way forward.

Esch

Banned
Ahhh thanks. Always hear it in TV shows and movies and never understood it.

Just called Low fat or Light milk here.

But yeah Whole milk is the way forward.

Its ironic because those years saw a huge spike in heart disease. Arguably a lot of the satiating fat in foods got replaced by sugar (lol) and well, you see what happened there. The worst thing is that Cholesterol and fat were really demonized, but kids need that for proper sexual and neural development. Might help explain why us 90s babies are a little..

well.

PBY

Banned
Its ironic because those years saw a huge spike in heart disease. Arguably a lot of the satiating fat in foods got replaced by sugar (lol) and well, you see what happened there. The worst thing is that Cholesterol and fat were really demonized, but kids need that for proper sexual and neural development. Might help explain why us 90s babies are a little..

well.
U seen Sugar: the bitter truth?

Esch

Banned
U seen Sugar: the bitter truth?

Yep. Lustig is a smart guy. Now im not for completely eradicating all sugar from a diet (environmentally unsustainable, its cheap calories), but there is a lot to be said for controlling that shit. Or at least not dealing with the lobbies

I like what I've heard from 12 Reasons to Die but I have a feeling I might like Apollo Brown's version more. So far none of the Younge tracks are hard. It's very mellow, dark stuff with quiet drums. I want to hear Ghost over some crazy organs, awkward piano loops, break beats, hard drums, etc.

PBY

Banned
Younge says he hasn't really listened to hip hop since 1997...
http://www.npr.org/2013/03/12/174017895/adrian-younge-looking-back-to-move-hip-hop-forward

Hype deflating. I could tell from the tracks given the lack of energy; live instrumentation is hard to do with hip hip without sounding boring. At least the Alollo Brown version should be dope
Couldn't disagree with you more actually. I love that this project is different, Apollo Browns version is going to be forgotten in 2 months like Apollo Kids was. Younge is a beast, and despite gfk not really impressing me so far, the music will be on point.

CRS

Wassup GAF-Hop

Have you guys seen the video for Iggy Azalea's debut single "Work"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zR6ROjoOX0

Once you guys take care of your situations down south I'd love to hear what you think. *.*

noah.png
noah.png
noah.png
noah.png

But seriously, ehh, not bad. It was pretty tolerable and don't find her voice grating. Hook is trash though. Can't stand that one bit. The Gwen Stefani look was hilarious.

noah.png

Alternate 12 Reasons To Die produced by Apollo Brown?

!!!!

I like what I've heard from 12 Reasons to Die but I have a feeling I might like Apollo Brown's version more. So far none of the Younge tracks are hard. It's very mellow, dark stuff with quiet drums. I want to hear Ghost over some crazy organs, awkward piano loops, break beats, hard drums, etc.

This. All of this.

codhand

Younge says he hasn't really listened to hip hop since 1997...
Hype deflating. I could tell from the tracks given the lack of energy; live instrumentation is hard to do with hip hip without sounding boring*. At least the Alollo Brown version should be dope

His whole quote in context describes a lot of hip-hop fans. It's only in the last four/five years hip-hop has found its new lane.
I was really raised on hip-hop, and hip-hop introduced me basically to all the music I listen to now," he tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross, "and what's sad to me is I can't really listen to hip-hop that much anymore. You know, I mean, there's a lot of great hip-hop out there, but I'm not an avid fan of hip-hop. I always say to people that I left hip-hop in '97, meaning that I departed from listening to predominantly hip-hop and just started really getting into records from the late '60s, early '70s. Once I made that change, I realized how much great music was made back in the day, and it started to become apparent how much we'd lost in music. And that's why I don't listen to much modern music anymore, because it just doesn't stimulate me anymore.

I agree though; Ghost is best over some hard ass breaks and dusty samples. Wouldn't 1997 be an ideal source for that type of rap?

*Live-instrumentation for hip-hop shows is the goat performance method. I saw Rakim and Ghost with a ten piece band backing, it was amazing. Ghost admits the early Wu--due to Rza's inexperience with more sophisticated music engineering techniques--lacks bump factor.

Basically I wouldn't write off the project for either the quote you mentioned, or the live band factor, especially when I already know the date and time of the GFK 12 Reasons Tour. If it's anything like the aforementioned Rakim tour, it will be the shit. Gotta remember, the bread is gonna be made on the tour not the album. You should at least shift any hype towards the tour.

Hip hop has definitely branched me out to a variety of music. I first found Portishead due to hip hop, became a Fiona Apple fan after a rapper co-signed her years ago, etc. So my taste has certainly branched out due to hip hop, but I am VERY sensitive to insinuations that somehow hip hop isn't all that, or used to be good but is now trash, etc. I used to go to the library and listen to hip hop albums as a kid based off which album had the dopest cover; didn't know much about anything outside of 2pac and Nas, plus all the classic stuff my dad would bump when I was young (Run DMC, Juice Crew shit, Whodini, etc).

So while I respect that aspect of Younge's argument at the same time brehs, that whole "my music palette is too wide for hip hop now" shit can't stand, man. And back to Ghost, the classic thing about his music wasn't simply that he rapped over soul beats. It's how the beats sounded, were chopped, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HM-bvBYq88

That shit bumps. That's Ghost to me.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
When I get that chance to throw a brick at Nicki's face, I hope it bounces off her her skull and takes out Iggy Azalea too.

There is so much variety in hip hop now, with so many more artists getting a chance to be heard through the internet, if anyone says there is no good hip hop out there or that they don't like modern hip hop, they are fucking idiots.

SwagJesus

Banned
When I get that chance to throw a brick at Nicki's face, I hope it bounces off her her skull and takes out Iggy Azalea too.

There is so much variety in hip hop now, with so many more artists getting a chance to be heard through the internet, if anyone says there is no good hip hop out there or that they don't like modern hip hop, they are fucking idiots.

You tell em Siddx. Even though I would rather re-live pac and biggie days 10 times over then listen to this hip-hop nowadays. Not to take anything away from it I just like the sound back then more. Sorry but, Hip-Hop just can't compare to what it used to be. That's why they call it the golden age.

Hip Hop's been whored out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom