• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabiz

You tell em Siddx. Even though I would rather re-live pac and biggie days 10 times over then listen to this hip-hop nowadays. Not to take anything away from it I just like the sound back then more. Sorry but, Hip-Hop just can't compare to what it used to be. That's why they call it the golden age.

Hip Hop's been whored out.

hip hops been whored out. naw son. RAP has been whored out.

There is more 90's sounding shit now, then in the last 15 years. There is a huge resurgence of that sound. Why? Cause the kids from that time are making the music now.

The golden age might change. Its only called the golden age now, because Hip Hop/Rap has only been around for 25-30 years. In 15-20 years will those albums still be considered classics?

Maybe its time you put some effort in and find shit you like. Instead of continuously saying stupid shit, like nothings good now. Hip Hop/Rap crossed a boundary in the late 90's which we are now seeing the rewards from. There is tons of really interesting shit, that could only come with time. If you dont let the genre grow and expand, it will kill itself.

CRS

You tell em Siddx. Even though I would rather re-live pac and biggie days 10 times over then listen to this hip-hop nowadays. Not to take anything away from it I just like the sound back then more. Sorry but, Hip-Hop just can't compare to what it used to be. That's why they call it the golden age.

Hip Hop's been whored out.

Only reason why the 90's was called the golden age was because of E. 1999 Eternal. Hip-hop today is just as good as the 90s'. Maybe even better since it's so much easier to obtain.

Edit: Basically everything thabiz said.

Macca

Eminem's like the ONLY rapper with real talent and actually saying something. He's a modern day Shakespeare and bends the English language to his will.

I don't really listen to rap-hop music, but Eminem is clearly the best.
Check out Macklemore. Similar style, and doesn't rap about like killing people and stuff, he's like Eminem and is one of the only hip hop rappers to speak the truth.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Check out Macklemore. Similar style, and doesn't rap about like killing people and stuff, he's like Eminem and is one of the only hip hop rappers to speak the truth.

Only rapper rapping over the best instrumental every made too

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It's like someone created my perfect white girl: an impressionable face, long pony tail, long legs, fat ass, moderate boobs, and most importantly FUCKS BROTHAS.

HLm62G3.gif

codhand

Hip-hop today is just as good as the 90s'. Maybe even better since it's so much easier to obtain.

"Easier to obtain" is a reason why hip-hop is better today than it was in the 90s? Not sure where to start with this one. I like modern hip-hop or else I wouldn't post here, on some swagjeebus shit, but look at any idolized genre of music, it really only had a ten year window, before a decline in quality happened,

Take Dopplegangaz, while good, im not sure why i shouldnt just throw on some old 90s hip-hop instead, i want innovation, not regurgitation.

thabiz

"Easier to obtain" is a reason why hip-hop is better today than it was in the 90s? Not sure where to start with this one. I like modern hip-hop or else I wouldn't post here, on some swagjeebus shit, but look at any idolized genre of music, it really only had a ten year window, before a decline in quality happened,

Take Dopplegangaz, while good, im not sure why i shouldnt just throw on some old 90s hip-hop instead, i want innovation, not regurgitation.

because there were hundreds of artists that are great that you never heard. Internet allowed everyone to be heard.

iavi

Not just does it make it to our hands faster, but promote an almost natural curation, I think. That'd tie it into the idea that hip-hop is better now than it was in the 90s (which it is). Stuff will be better across the board because just that much more of it is available, heard, and studied.

PBY

Banned

Take Dopplegangaz, while good, im not sure why i shouldnt just throw on some old 90s hip-hop instead, i want innovation, not regurgitation

I totally agree. Thats why Kanye's the GOAT.

codhand

so rock music today is better than it was in the late sixties, because it's easier to obtain and there's more of it being made and studied

I totally agree. Thats why Kanye's the GOAT.

The views expressed here are not that of the original poster. Reader discretion is advised.

It's like someone created my perfect white girl: an impressionable face, long pony tail, long legs, fat ass, moderate boobs, and most importantly FUCKS BROTHAS.

Minus the fat ass part--which is questionable to begin with--this could be describing lana del rey too

CRS

It is. The amount of music today compared to the 90s is exponentially greater. There is no doubt about that. The ease of accessing all of that music being a click away is amazing. There is enough music with enough variety that almost everyone can get what they're looking for. And with Bandcamp blowing up like it has the last 3/4 years, you're a tag away from discovering hours of music.

If it wasn't for music blogs and ESPECIALLY GAF-Hop, I wouldn't listen to maybe 75% of what I listen to now. My music tastes have changed since I first joined here and am grateful for it.

Saying the quality of hip-hop has declined is bullshit. And if you want to stick to your 90s records, that's fine, but don't say that music was better back then. It's all subjective to your tastes. The amount of easily attainable music out there for everyone and every situation out there makes today better than the 90s, and that isn't opinion, it's fact.

Will do. Great to see there are at least 2 rappers not rapping that "gangstah rap" crap. I can't relate to all that nonsense, and misogyny, and glorification of violins.

codhand

Saying the quality of hip-hop has declined is bullshit. And if you want to stick to your 90s records, that's fine, but don't say that music was better back then. It's all subjective to your tastes. The amount of easily attainable music out there for everyone and every situation out there makes today better than the 90s, and that isn't opinion, it's fact.

dont say opinions are subjective, and then say your subjective opinion is fact.

The amount of music today compared to the 90s is exponentially greater. There is no doubt about that. The ease of accessing all of that music being a click away is amazing. There is enough music with enough variety that almost everyone can get what they're looking for. And with Bandcamp blowing up like it has the last 3/4 years, you're a tag away from discovering hours of music.

I can agree with all this.

I just have different criteria than your meta approach for judging the current state of hip-hop,

Esch

Banned
no the 90s were better but you shouldnt be complaining about having nothing to listen to. tons of good out there for everyone.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Personally, I can't bump to Mackrelmore or Slim Shady or even Hopsin. They're not rapping about the streets or drugs or parties, so what are they about? Call me when they can reach the heights of a Lil B or Action Bronson or hell, even a Young Jeezy. They're keepin it one hundred.

iavi

so rock music today is better than it was in the late sixties, because it's easier to obtain and there's more of it being made and studied

It is

Personally, I can't bump to Mackrelmore or Slim Shady or even Hopsin. They're not rapping about the streets or drugs or parties, so what are they about? Call me when they can reach the heights of a Lil B or Action Bronson or hell, even a Young Jeezy. They're keepin it one hundred.

#cantrelate

CRS

I guess Kanye wasn't paying Q-Tip enough.

Seriously, how much money does Tribe today get in regards to music sales of their albums? I would imagine their contract was shit back then unless they signed a new contract down the line which gives them a bigger percentage of every album sold.

it was so terrible even peterb0y hated it

abysmal.

Except for the album cover.

SwagJesus

Banned
Yall need some help Quality > Quantity forever. Some of these "New Artists" shouldn't even have a platform to put shit out. Back in the day most of these new artists woulda got passed up hella quick.

Most of these new rappies are groupies and can't be original to save their lives.

Pavaloo

Yall need some help Quality > Quantity forever. Some of these "New Artists" shouldn't even have a platform to put shit out. Back in the day most of these new artists woulda got passed up hella quick.

Most of these new rappies are groupies and can't be original to save their lives.

A lot of people rapping today who have huge platforms would be considered complete jokes back in the day. That was a huge disconnect for me for a while.

thabiz

so major label deal = quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom