• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

deal+with+it.gif

Nah but really only one good song and 2 aight songs compared to 7 good songs equals a win in my book for Fraud (second half of Aligator is amazing). Bronson Fierce lyrics compared to Kanye's psuedo miltant pause rap equals a win for Bronson too.... I can't add it up any other way

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeezus > Watching movies with the sound off > Born Sinner

Seriously I am a huge jcole fan. But someone needs to say this.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
No fucking way. And Macca I love you.

hey after i heard Yeezus once I have no interest in listening to it again (besides Bound 2) SAAB stories is a part of the regular rotation now. Experimentation isn't always good.... sometimes you fail and Yeezus was an L. It's so bad I have a new found level of respect for 808 and Heartbreak now....

Shoutouts to Enzo on the OT. Looks great. GAFHop OTs always look slick.

Reasonable Doubt is one of Jays worst albums. Shit was a chore to listen to today in my friends car

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This change up in On Sight. God damn it Kanye.
The line before it says it all

How much do I not give a fuck?
Let me show you right now before you give it up

Then the sample is

He'll give us what we need
It may not be what we want

lFkgnDX.gif

PBY

Banned
The line before it says it all

Then the sample is

He'll give us what we need
It may not be what we want
IT MAY NOT BE WHAT WE WANT.

yeezus says deal with it. Or listen to bound.

Recon

Banned
I really like Yeezus, but damn, I swear some of you getting a cut of his album sales with how much hyperbole is being spewn. Genius? I dont know. Good album? Sure, might be great.

Cudder

I really like Yeezus, but damn, I swear some of you getting a cut of his album sales with how much hyperbole is being spewn. Genius? I dont know. Good album? Sure, might be great.

It certainly had one hell of a first impression when I listened to it for the first time, but who actually knows how long I'll be listening to it. Too much shit coming out in the next few months.

PBY

Banned
One cool thing about yeezus for me, was seeing how the R U Ready sample was changed. Gave great insight into what Kanye actually does behind the boards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've been really critical of a lot of Yeezus. It lacks the substance that will make it stick for most against the rest of his legacy TBH. I think it's another sort of experiment, that probably needed a bit more time to cook, but the stuff Ye gets right on here he gets REALLY right. Pretty much everything on the production end save for Bound 2 is absolutely top notch.

TBH whenever I think about the album I think it's less than stellar vs. even Graduation, and then I listen to a track from it and I'm like fuck that's delicious AOTY AOTY.

PBY

Banned
I've been really critical of a lot of Yeezus. It lacks the substance that will make it stick for most against the rest of his legacy TBH. I think it's another sort of experiment, that probably needed a bit more time to cook, but the stuff Ye gets right on here he gets REALLY right. Pretty much everything on the production end save for Bound 2 is absolutely top notch.

TBH whenever I think about the album I think it's less than stellar vs. even Graduation, and then I listen to a track from it and I'm like fuck that's delicious AOTY AOTY.
I feel what you're saying. It's why MBDTF is way above it for me.

Albums like graduation are far more... Polished? Or refined maybe? This is some stark minimalism shit. It's just very different.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel what you're saying. It's why MBDTF is way above it for me.

Albums like graduation are far more... Polished? Or refined maybe? This is some stark minimalism shit. It's just very different.
I think all of Ye's albums are truthfully so different. This doesn't go for Ye's discography exclusively, as you could say this for any other artist with a strong library like the Wu, but there are really so many decisions and ways Ye has approached each album that tickle different people's fancies, and at different times. It really is just what you prefer.

MBDTF is realer for me, more relateable, more vulnerable, carefully crafted, carefully sequenced, more emotional, better conveys Ye the person onto wax. Yeezus is like, directionless almost? Guided more by production than everything else he's done? It seems like an album caught in between a transition in the creative process. It reminds me of Cruel Summer with a bit more cohesiveness in the sound. I'm also kinda disappointed Ye's attempt at creative, strong, black history themed album has sorta fizzled in the face of probably better song concepts he threw on there that deal with different topics. It's just a strange project in general.

Trey

Why? I don't mean it as "J Cole tried to make a concept album." He wanted to make a very cohesive, "serious" album that would secure his place as one of the top rappers. Remember, Cole has said multiple times that he views himself and Kendrick as being the new Nas or Jay-Z of this generation. With all that in mind, you don't think Cole was heavily influenced by the impact of GKMC, and wanted to essentially respond to it with a record?

I don't think he cares about the Yeezus shit; he probably thinks his album is better but his idols aren't his rivals (as he says on Let Nas Down). He's concerned about his own legacy, specially in relation to Kendrick. Born Sinner didn't make much of an impact, and guess what. In a couple months when Drake sells like 500k first week with a huge album, Cole will once again be the odd man out.

We've seen serious Cole and he shows up at times on Born Sinner but ultimately that's not the tone he takes with the album. This album is just a continuation of what J. Cole is comfortable with; he plays it extremely safe here. And while he is very concerned with carving a legacy for himself, Cole has to know that the best way to go about it is on his own terms. Any inspiration he takes from GKMC is a loose theme of redemption, but that theme is vague enough that Cole could run with it and do his own thing.

Remember, J. Cole and Kendrick have a collab album in the lab, so it stands to reason some overlap will shine through in their respective works.

I'm also kinda disappointed Ye's attempt at creative, strong, black history themed album has sorta fizzled in the face of probably better song concepts he threw on there that deal with different topics. It's just a strange project in general.

His blunt and visceral and shallow lyrics do the subject matter less favors than Lupe's goody two shoes preachy flow. I'm of the mind it's just not something people are trying to hear nowadays unless it is elaborately veiled.

cacophony

i dont get why Bound gets so much praise. it's looped sample and the transition to Charlie Wilson is fucking nonexistent. I bet Heatmakerz destroyed that sample before Rick Rubin came in and ruined it

Jitters

I love how Bound 2 ends the record. Its such a surprise. Like the last track on Bon Iver, Bon Iver, completely different from everything else. Wonder if Yeezy was inspired by that.

hubes

i dont get why Bound gets so much praise. it's looped sample and the transition to Charlie Wilson is fucking nonexistent. I bet Heatmakerz destroyed that sample before Rick Rubin came in and ruined it

because the rest of the album is so shitty when you get it to it it's like an ice cold beer on the hottest day.

PBY

Banned
Heatmakerz OG beat was probably verrryyyy quality. It was also probably a beat we've heard 100 times.

DominoKid

We've seen serious Cole and he shows up at times on Born Sinner but ultimately that's not the tone he takes with the album. This album is just a continuation of what J. Cole is comfortable with; he plays it extremely safe here. And while he is very concerned with carving a legacy for himself, Cole has to know that the best way to go about it is on his own terms. Any inspiration he takes from GKMC is a loose theme of redemption, but that theme is vague enough that Cole could run with it and do his own thing.

Remember, J. Cole and Kendrick have a collab album in the lab, so it stands to reason some overlap will shine through in their respective works.

His blunt and visceral and shallow lyrics do the subject matter less favors than Lupe's goody two shoes preachy flow. I'm of the mind it's just not something people are trying to hear nowadays unless it is elaborately veiled.

that shit is gonna be an album of Kendrick renegades. poor Cole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom