• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

that shit is gonna be an album of Kendrick renegades. poor Cole.

You give J. Cole a verse, you give Kendrick a verse, it's not as lopsided as you might think. Kendrick works best when he's in full control of his work. You never really hear him bodying a feature. S.80 and GKMC up and down hummed like they did because Kendrick did ninety percent of the legwork.

I think it will be a case where the two play their strengths off each other.

PBY

Banned
You give J. Cole a verse, you give Kendrick a verse, it's not as lopsided as you might think. Kendrick works best when he's in full control of his work. You never really hear him bodying a feature. S.80 and GKMC up and down hummed like they did because Kendrick did ninety percent of the legwork.

Yeah. Who had Kendrick ever renegaded?

DominoKid

A1 Everything
We Ball
The City
B Boyz
Push Thru (the Talib joint)
They Ready
Power Circle <- this one is just disgusting

I think Cole only let Kendrick get on a hook for a reason. Don't act like Kendrick doesn't go in. That used to be my only criticism of him really.

A1 Everything
We Ball
The City
B Boyz
Push Thru (the Talib joint)
They Ready
Power Circle <- this one is just disgusting

I think Cole only let Kendrick get on a hook for a reason. Don't act like Kendrick doesn't go in. That used to be my only criticism of him really.

R.I.P. Remix too

DominoKid

Drake on Money, Rap, and his Musical Legacy: Celebrities: GQ

Drake makes no apology for the fact that what he and 40 are trying to do is make hits&#8212;consumable, genre-bending tunes that will get played on the radio, pushed into the clubs, and thump at parties. Songs that will carry the tour, making for golden moments live. "You constantly ask yourself: Will I ever be able to excite people the way I did when the Internet was going crazy, back when you first felt like you had a piece of Drake that no one else had, and you wanted to share it with your friends? Is there an album or song we can make now that's good enough to get people that excited again?

"I ain't gonna lie: I want to be the one you listen to this summer," he says.

If in the past Drake had any reservations about playing bigger venues&#8212;about being able to energetically fill those venues while yearning for the days of mixtape intimacy&#8212;those doubts have been dashed now. "I fully accept I'm an arena-touring act," says Drake. "When I'm writing, I'm thinking about how the songs are going to play live. Fifty bars of rap don't translate onstage. No matter how potent the music, you lose the crowd. They want a hook; they want to sing your stuff back to you. That's why on this album I've been trying to condense my thoughts to sixteen-bar verses. There's something to be said for spacing out the lines, to infiltrate people's minds."

It sounds like another rap: Spacing out the lines / to infiltrate people's minds. But it goes beyond infiltration: It's intimacy that Drake really craves: "I want you to leave with the feeling that I was talking to you the whole time. If I pointed to you, you're probably right, I did point to you. I probably was talking about your friend, you know?"

and thats why he keeps winning.

sounds like Drake is making his Graduation.

Macca

Top 3 tracks from yeezus gotta be

1. Black Skinhead
2. Blood on the Leaves (Had this shit stuck in my head all day)
3. On Sight. Either that or I'm In It.

Very very high highs. Rest is good, but nothing amazing.

DominoKid

Drake's home is its own fantasia, a single-level ranch that sprawls in various wings over 7,500 square feet, from the game room to the gym to Drake's master bedroom with Jacuzzi. The pool is like a scene out of Waterworld, with a bar inside a grotto, waterfalls, and a slide that drops thirty feet through the rock. Someone leaps from the top of the waterfall into the pool while another holds on to the cliff and does pull-ups. Hung everywhere, the indoor-outdoor flat-screen TVs shine like mirrors. On the property are stables, a mechanical bull, and a movie theater. There's an air-conditioned doghouse and a wine cellar. Drake bought the place for $7.7 million from a restaurant-chain mogul who threw in all the furniture, too. When the front gate opens to allow passage, a woman's voice coos, "Access granted." Drake's boys call it Disneyland.

they make this shit sound like Paisley Park lmao.

hubes

Top 3 tracks from yeezus gotta be

1. Black Skinhead
2. Blood on the Leaves (Had this shit stuck in my head all day)
3. On Sight. Either that or I'm In It.

Very very high highs. Rest is good, but nothing amazing.

on sight a high tho? that song took over for theraflu as the worst song kanyes ever made.

Matugi

I know I mentioned this earlier but I can't get over how bad Danny Brown kills it in 1Train. It gives me all sorts of feels

Trey

I know I mentioned this earlier but I can't get over how bad Danny Brown kills it in 1Train. It gives me all sorts of feels

I think there was a conversation earlier today about Danny Brown the feature versus his own work. I'm with those that like him when he comes in for a verse and does his thing. I can't think of a feature of his off the top that I didn't love.

Matugi

I think there was a conversation earlier today about Danny Brown the feature versus his own work. I'm with those that like him when he comes in for a verse and does his thing. I can't think of a feature of his off the top that I didn't love.

Yeah I just mentioned to some friends how I see "Ft. Danny Brown" and it's an auto-listen for me.

MBDTF is realer for me, more relateable, more vulnerable, carefully crafted, carefully sequenced, more emotional, better conveys Ye the person onto wax. Yeezus is like, directionless almost? Guided more by production than everything else he's done? It seems like an album caught in between a transition in the creative process. It reminds me of Cruel Summer with a bit more cohesiveness in the sound. I'm also kinda disappointed Ye's attempt at creative, strong, black history themed album has sorta fizzled in the face of probably better song concepts he threw on there that deal with different topics. It's just a strange project in general.

I agree with this except the 'Cruel Summer' part.

'Yeezus' [IMO] is directionless, lazy, and different for the sake of being different versus creative.

A part of me feels like Kanye West knows his power, impact, and influence all too well and he's trolling everyone and knows exactly the mess [per se] he's made with 'Yeezus'.

overcast

Watching Movies has some seriously great songs. Bird Call straight to Watching Movies is so good.

I think Yeezus' direction is the chaotic sounds and anger throughout the album. It's messy but it benefits greatly from it.

Dereck

What did people think about Tomorrow's Gone?
rd38lZ8.jpg

Recon

Banned
I really think new slaves is the worst track on the album. I don't think it works at being controversial, smart, dumb, listenable. It just is Kanye's idiocy in song form.

cacophony

yo is this Robin Thicke x Pharrell song seriously #1?? its the corniest shit ive ever heard

i actually find most of Pharrell's music /production corny as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom