• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Elliott Wilson pulls em from thin air?

they got models and shit they use to project this stuff i guess.
Do they get day to day data from retailers, exit polls? I don't understand. What are they feeding into the models?

tj hazuki

YOUR ONE-DAYS: The top of next week's chart will look a little better than in recent weeks, with Kanye West and J. Cole scoring the #2 and #4 debuts of the year. Justin Timberlake (968k) remains untouched for the biggest first week thus far in 2013. Daft Punk (339k) will move into the third spot following next week's chart. Here are this week's key debuts:

Kanye West (Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam/IDJ) 375-400k
J. Cole (Roc Nation/Columbia) 290-315k
Mac Miller (Rostrum) 95-105k

Kelly Rowland (Republic) 60-65k
Hunter Hayes (Atlantic) 30-35k
Falling In Reverse (Epitaph) 20-25k
Empire of the Sun (Capitol) 15-18k
Sigur Ros (XL) 20-25k
Hanson (Three Car Garage) 14-17k

These results were tabulated by our sales department but formatted by our new intern, who's now resting on a little bed made of newspapers. Adorable! (6/19p)
Nice numbers for Cole

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do they get day to day data from retailers, exit polls? I don't understand. What are they feeding into the models?
I think they can only get projections from pre-orders, and if they get more orders in for more copies. Though IIRC the 350k initial number is flimsy itself because it came from some editor's guess.

It's safe to say J. Cole wasn't aiming for GKMC at all.

Why? I don't mean it as "J Cole tried to make a concept album." He wanted to make a very cohesive, "serious" album that would secure his place as one of the top rappers. Remember, Cole has said multiple times that he views himself and Kendrick as being the new Nas or Jay-Z of this generation. With all that in mind, you don't think Cole was heavily influenced by the impact of GKMC, and wanted to essentially respond to it with a record?

I don't think he cares about the Yeezus shit; he probably thinks his album is better but his idols aren't his rivals (as he says on Let Nas Down). He's concerned about his own legacy, specially in relation to Kendrick. Born Sinner didn't make much of an impact, and guess what. In a couple months when Drake sells like 500k first week with a huge album, Cole will once again be the odd man out.

SadAli

Neo Member
ILLFIGHTYOU - Self-Titled

ILLFIGHTYOU is Tacoma’s EvergreenOne, and UglyFrank and Khris P of Sandlot. One part horrorcore, one part balls-trippin’ drug rap, and one part janky stand-up comedy. On their self-titled debut album (out today) the crew pulls out its impressively-girthed id and smacks you across the face with it. (I think that’s a compliment.)

Not particularly taken by this but it's a good chance to post up a link to member Khris P Kream's solo album from last year, Yes. Really slept on release which any fans of old Young Money style production should be particulalry taken with

Why? I don't mean it as "J Cole tried to make a concept album." He wanted to make a very cohesive, "serious" album that would secure his place as one of the top rappers. Remember, Cole has said multiple times that he views himself and Kendrick as being the new Nas or Jay-Z of this generation. With all that in mind, you don't think Cole was heavily influenced by the impact of GKMC, and wanted to essentially respond to it with a record?

I don't think he cares about the Yeezus shit; he probably thinks his album is better but his idols aren't his rivals (as he says on Let Nas Down). He's concerned about his own legacy, specially in relation to Kendrick. Born Sinner didn't make much of an impact, and guess what. In a couple months when Drake sells like 500k first week with a huge album, Cole will once again be the odd man out.

Cole is topping 300k, hardly anything to ignore. For this day and age those are big numbers. Love him or hate him he is making an impact.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So who's switching over to the X-Box now that they're unfucking the DRM situation?
Power advantage and the openness to developers mean far more to me when it comes to a several hundred dollar investment for a broke college student.

And I'm pretty much the biggest Halo fangirl ever too, why this is happening, or happening so late too is just confusing. They haven't earned my trust as a consumer throughout the past month or so.

If I cared about hardware power Id play PC games primarily. Prefer the ease of use for consoles, most of my friends all play Xbox so I'll stick with it. Im a Halo fangirl like Enzo too.

Sony exclusives never grabbed me either. Im happy with my Xbox so far.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
capturevku3w.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm not interested in anything at launch on either console, so I'm going to wait to see how it washes out. But the PS4 is clearly the frontrunner. If MS actually does jump back it could sway be back with the right games.

Kaizer

Banned
Has J.Cole's production skills really improved? I noticed a few people mentioned it above. Outside of "Power Trip", nothing really leaped out at me. Jacking Outkast & Tribe Called Quest doesn't help either, I mean those songs were cool, but all they did was make me think of the much better originals.

My biggest gripe with Born Sinner is everything stays in this mid-tempo range the WHOLE way through. For the first few songs it's alright, but eventually it becomes sleep-inducing. And its not like the songs are bad, they're just really unremarkable and end up blending together rather than making the cohesive dark sound he was going for. Cole really needs to stop trying to produce everything himself. If he really was trying to respond to GKMC, I'd hope he look at how distinctive each sound is on there, a result of varied production.

It's cool Cole's fanbase is still supporting him and coming from someone who's been a fan since The Warm Up and was actually inspired by Cole's story to pursue my own music dreams, I'm happy for him. But dude really needs to let some guys like No I.D., Hit-Boy, T-Minus, Boi-1da, etc. come in and help him out. Nothing on this album topped "Rise & Shine" or "God's Gift", and songs he made freebies like Chris Tucker & Head Bussa would've definitely helped this album out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Microsoft needs games that can justify that price tag and the inclusion of a device I didn't ask for.

Right now Sony has the hardware I like, the Software I love and the right direction regarding their treatment of the Independent Developers. That's all there really is to it.

Cudder

Listened to a bit of Sideline Story yesterday and it's got some great tracks, man. Tracks on his first album hit harder than any tracks on his new album (God's Gift). Now I'm not so sure which album I prefer. Sideline Story is shorter and hits harder, and his new album has some great tracks but overall is stretched pretty thin.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If I cared about hardware power Id play PC games primarily. Prefer the ease of use for consoles, most of my friends all play Xbox so I'll stick with it. Im a Halo fangirl like Enzo too.

Sony exclusives never grabbed me either. Im happy with my Xbox so far.
Yeah Sony exclusive lineup is looking surprisingly weak for the PS4. Drive Club and Infamous and not much else. Nothing that is must buy either.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A big J Cole fan here.

Mac Miller's album is better. I'm willing to admit this. It's a better album.

Yeah Sony exclusive lineup is looking surprisingly weak for the PS4. Drive Club and Infamous and not much else. Nothing that is must buy either.

Shocked by this announcement though. Never thought a company as big and stubborn as MS would back down like that.

Titanfall and Halo next year made my decision for me.

The Mac Miller album is actually better than Yeezus. Only good song from Yeezus is Blood on the Leaves. Kanye loves to slowly pronounce words with a pause at the end.

kamspy

Wale dropped an album with nothing but chick songs. I guess you might as well go all out if you know where you get your money from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom