• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Not sure if I can take 20 tracks of Sean. But I'll check it out.

I have been liking his feature verses though.

That is the thing for me. Big Sean doing a feature is hot. Him on a an entire song puts me to sleep. Maybe the production on the album will be enough to overcome that for me. But 20 tracks? That is crazy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Other than his Knuckleheadz and Cherchez la Ghost verses, this is the best thing U-God has ever done.

http://youtu.be/cS7sZ1qUqnA?t=2m46s

Just the way his hands come into frame and then never stop for the rest of the verse. It's kills me every time.

His old man flow, his stupid voice, his corny lyrical matter and delivery. It's everything.

Also his ridiculous verse over the Yonkers beat at like 9:30. It's just so bad.

I watch this all the time for Meth over Yonkers. Gotdamn. Both verses are fucking FIRE.

Matugi

1 Train is a great song because even the worst verse on the song (Yelawolf's) is still pretty sick.

In other news I'm sooooooo ready for Doris and Old, uoeno

Matugi

Meth does so good on that red nation beat.

Also worst verse in 1train is Joey badass, yelawolf and Kendrick. I'd like to cut those out

Kendrick's verse is good idk what u talking about, but yeah Yela's is the worst with joey's trailing. Danny has the best verse followed by A$AP, Krit, and Bronson

Joey Badass is horrible on 1Train. The last time I legitimately liked a verse of his was probably on the track he did with DJ Premier. He's been rapping super lazy lately. I'm starting to think all that dope production on 1999 carried him...

Summer Knights is meh too

HiiiLife

He had a grip of dope features and freestyles early in his career. His features with the Outsidaz and Thirstin Howl were on point. Really dug the freestyles he used to do with Proof and Royce. Love his old shit. After 8 Mile he went down in quality tho, IMO. But I feel he does rap some quality shit every now and then.

Slim Shady EP/LP, Marshall Mathers LP, and The Eminem Show, are all 100% listenable today. Em was on fire on a ton of those tracks. Not to mention the ton of freestyles, & the old Bad Meets Evil tracks. And the tracks he had on the 8 MIle soundtrack.

After that though..........

HiiiLife

"99% of aliens prefer earth, so I'm here to rule the planet, starting with your turf." Lol. Love old Em. I just wish he kept the flame going for at least one more album. Three wasn't enough for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Relapse had some good songs. Insane is one of the best songs from Em's entire career by far.

I was saying Recovery was the shit when it came out but man I can't touch a song off of it except for Talking To Myself.

HiiiLife

"So when I grab a pencil and squeeze it between fingers, I'm not a rapper, I'm a demon who speaks English."

Mannnn. Thanks Gaf. Now I'm gonna through all his old shit and be mad he super fell off. Lol.

Macca

Relapse had some good songs. Insane is one of the best songs from Em's entire career by far.

I was saying Recovery was the shit when it came out but man I can't touch a song off of it except for Talking To Myself.
MAN DID YOU HEAR NO LOVE? EM SNAPPED ON THAT TRACK, BEST RAP VERSE OF ALL TIME

I hate Talking To Myself. The only tracks I'd even consider going back to on Recovery are Seduction, and No Love. Relapse is a better album if only for the production. Dre actually did work on there.

MAN DID YOU HEAR NO LOVE? EM SNAPPED ON THAT TRACK, BEST RAP VERSE OF ALL TIME

It's a good verse though. Off Topic and everyone else treating it like the best thing ever is annoying though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Em's old stuff isn't dated. It's just that his style of rappity rap isn't en vogue right now. In 10 years the fetuses of today will be discovering SSLP and talking about how great it is.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Encore, Relapse, Recovery= Epic amounts of dope shit? I'm gonna have to disagree with that.

Encore gets too much flack, it is pretty good. And the Em show MMLP SS = epic amounts of dope shit

Tokubetsu

Em's old stuff isn't dated. It's just that his style of rappity rap isn't en vogue right now. In 10 years the fetuses of today will be discovering SSLP and talking about how great it is.

No, MMLP is super dated. He went too hard on the pop culture referencing at the time. Most of the tracks on there feel very time capsule-ish. Out of all of Em's earlier work its the one I go back to the least and It was peak Em for me the time it came out.

Toku's Em Ranking:

SSLP > Eminem Show > Relapse/MMLP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Recovery

(Should be noted that I can be a bit of an Em apologist at times. SSLP meant a lot to me, very important album in the development of baby toku. Brain Damage the best song Eminem has ever recorded.)

WanderingWind

No, MMLP is super dated. He went too hard on the pop culture referencing at the time. Most of the tracks on there feel very time capsule-ish. Out of all of Em's earlier work its the one I go back to the least and It was peak Em for me the time it came out.

Music is an encapsulation of its time. Cube dropped Lakers vs Supersonics. That doesn't make that song any less amazing for what it is. Pac talked a bunch about mobile phones. Times change the nature of how we view the references made but the quality isn't diminished because that time has passed.

EDIT: Oh, Em cycle?

SSLP>MMLP>TES>Re-Up>Infinte>Recovery>Relapse

Tokubetsu

Music is an encapsulation of its time. Cube dropped Lakers vs Supersonics. That doesn't make that song any less amazing for what it is. Pac talked a bunch about mobile phones. Times change the nature of how we view the references made but the quality isn't diminished because that time has passed.

EDIT: Oh, Em cycle?

SSLP>MMLP>TES>Re-Up>Infinte>Recovery>Relapse

Classic sports stuff is one thing but every other song Em is dropping bars about Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys on MMLP. Its like a strange Weird Al record a lot of the time.

WanderingWind

Classic sports stuff is one thing but every other song Em is dropping bars about Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys on MMLP. Its like a strange Weird Al record a lot of the time.

Product of the time. When music is about a reflection of self and about the world around you, as rap is want to be, there will always be pop culture references. Every rapper does this. We mad at Biggie name dropping Sega and SNES too? Songs are frozen in a moment of time, it's silly to think less of them because they're not updated like some George Lucas abomination.

I think the Jadakiss and Beanie Sigel beef was one of the greatest in hip-hop. The back and forth was legendary. I think Beans diss was better. What do you guys think?

cover.jpg

TRAPHOUSE JUMPIN LIKE JORDAN, PULL UP IN A BRAND NEW FOREIGN

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I think the Jadakiss and Beanie Sigel beef was one the greatest in hip-hop. The back and forth was legendary. I think Beans diss was better. What do you guys think?

It was. I think the hardest diss came from Jada's camp. Styles was wildn with some of the shit he was saying.

effzee

I've cooled on Recovery myself but that's mainly because he yells through the album. Same problem I had on Relapse with the accent. Bits and pieces of those variations sprinkled here and there work but not whole album worth.

That said off of Recovery Talking to Myself, Changes, Cinderella Man, No Love, and Almost Famous are awesome songs. Similarly take 4-5 songs from Relapse and combine them into one album and you have a great album. Dre's production on Relapse was great. Hope whatever this new project is has a Dre production with normal voice Em without yelling or accents every track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom