• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Confirmed Big Sean Hall of Fame Track-list

1. Nothing Is Stopping You
2. Fire
3. 10 2 10
4. Toyota Music
5. You Don’t Know
6. Beware (Feat. Lil Wayne & Jhené Aiko)
7. First Chain (Feat. Nas & Kid Cudi)
8. Mona Lisa
9. Freaky
10. Milf (Feat. Nicki Minaj & Juicy J)
11. Sierra Leone / Greedy Ho’s
12. It’s Time (Feat. Jeezy & Payroll)
13. World Ablaze (Feat. James Fauntleroy)
14. Ashley (Feat. Miguel)
15. All Figured Out
You know when just the names of the songs give you that impression that something is gonna be a classic?

3,4,5,7,12,13 and 15 gon be classics. B.I.G. stepping up to the plate to try and knock Yeezus out of the current AOTY spot.

Toyota Music and First Chain are going to be the best tracks.

toyota music is gonna be about big sean back when he was just a young high school kid. and first chain is when we hear BIG. with a taste of success.

HiResDes

Reading through old quotes about Old and looking at the features and producer as well as Danny's promise to keep the beats mostly minimal and maintain and old school Side A/Side B approach to making the album has me thinking it will definitely be the AOTY.

HiResDes

I relistened to this EP and I must say it's a huge fucking sleeper if you're into that Run the Jewels/Billy Woods type of shit

1012256_487455041345540_753666997_n.png

...This shit is up there with the Clams' instrumental tapes easily.
Also reposting this ^

...Dem beats are incredible.

Reading through old quotes about Old and looking at the features and producer as well as Danny's promise to keep the beats mostly minimal and maintain and old school Side A/Side B approach to making the album has me thinking it will definitely be the AOTY.

I didn't know this. Hm, well that has greatly reduced my concerns. I'm sure it'll have some big collabs and hype tracks too, and that's cool...but I'm glad that we'll be getting the more minimal stuff that took XXX from just a great album to a modern classic.

HiResDes

Old Information:

Vocal guests:

• A$AP Rocky
  • Charli XCX
  • Mr. Muthafuckin’ eXquire
  • Scrufizzer
  • Freddie Gibbs
  • Schoolboy Q
  • Ab-Soul
  • Kitty
  • Purity Ring’s Megan James

Producers:

• Skywlkr
  • Oh No
  • Darq E Freaker
  • Purity Ring
  • Paul White
  • A-Trak
  • Frank Dukes
  • Rustie

danny-old-tracks.jpg

Pitchfork: XXX sounded very specifically and consciously sequenced to form a narrative, did you approach the making of Old in the same way?
Danny Brown: I always try to act like I'm some old school artist from the 1960s, so I approached this album like I was making it for vinyl: There's a side A and a side B. The way I look at it, I've always been two different artists anyway; I do that underground hip-hop shit and that turned-up trap shit. XXX told a story, so I wanted this one to be like "Curb Your Enthusiasm"-- it's random and all over the place, but by the end it comes together.

Pitchfork: You've said that while you were making XXX you were listening to a lot of Joy Division. Were there any specific artists you looked to for this album?
DB: I made XXX with the aim of getting great reviews. And when I started making Old, I was trying to think of artists that came back from getting great reviews and made an album that was just as good-- or better! The only group I could really come up with was Radiohead. So if XXX was my OK Computer, then I'd have to make my Kid A next. So I studied Kid A, and I took away that it's not so much about the lyrics as it is about the way the beats feel, so what drives this album is the production. I wanted to have the most amazing beats, but I still want them to sound minimal-- it's still gotta sound like a Danny Brown beat. It can't sound like no fucking Kanye orchestra shit. That ain't me. That's why I took so long with making this album. I was waiting for the perfect beats. And I got 'em.

Pitchfork: Would you consider yourself a perfectionist?
DB: A perfectionist is someone like Dr. Dre or Kanye-- they'll take one song and do 50 takes. I go with my first take for every song. I want to capture a feeling. If I say a word wrong, fuck it. I am a perfectionist as far as listening to it, though. If I'm over a song two weeks after I made it, I'm not going to put it out. It has to last months.

Pitchfork: You're known for your punchlines-- do you worry about not being taken seriously?
DB: You can only go so far with those. I think I'm funny when I'm just talking-- I don't have to make a dick joke to be funny. I might just say something that's not funny to me, but the way it sounded could make a person laugh. It goes along with my vocal range. Anyway, the album is called Old, and I'm 32, so it's time to grow up a little bit.

Pitchfork: You recently said that Old would be "less funny" than XXX-- but a good deal of XXX isn't very funny.
DB: With XXX, I was trying to make a comedy that also had a lot of drama. This one is just like mad drama [laughs]-- to the point where shit is so fucked up that you need a release. You can't just keep dwelling on how fucked up shit is because that ain't going to do nothing but make you feel depressed, so you gotta just say "fuck it" and take drugs and party.

jvRoZRA.png
QDzCHLn.png

On why the album took two years to make:

“I can do feature songs and whatever, but when you see an album and it says, ‘This is a Danny Brown album’, it’s gotta be at the most potent quality – and that doesn’t take six months. It doesn’t take a year. I tell people all of the time, it takes two years for me to make an album.”

On the album title:

“With ‘Old’ you think I’m talking about my age, or where I’m at in my career. But it really [refers to] when I’m experimenting, making songs with Darq E Freaker and stuff. And then when I go back to my ‘hood, I have my people who be like, ‘Where that ‘Old’ Danny Brown shit at? I wanna hear that J. Dilla Danny Brown.’ So I [titled the] album for them.”

On Old being more dramatic:

“It’s not blatantly as funny – but that’s coming from me, the person who made it,” he offers. “Being a listener, that might be different. I’ve noticed that it’s not necessarily what I say, but how I say it. For a lot of people I sound funny to them, no matter how serious the topic – like some Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm shit. We laughed at him getting a divorce! I’m talking real shit that happened in my life, and it’s not funny to me, but it might be funny to somebody else. Maybe that’s the ingenious thing?”

July 16 Update: In a new interview with DDS, Danny revealed the name and concept of his Old track with Freddie Gibbs. It’s called “Return of the ‘G’ 2″, serves as a sequel of sorts to Outkast’s original, and it is produced by Paul White.

Songs
Dope Song (Live)
Dip (Live)
Kush Coma (Studio)
Dip (Part of Ronson's Set)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You know when just the names of the songs give you that impression that something is gonna be a classic?

3,4,5,7,12,13 and 15 gon be classics. B.I.G. stepping up to the plate to try and knock Yeezus out of the current AOTY spot.

R
O
F
L

In a new interview with DDS, Danny revealed the name and concept of his Old track with Freddie Gibbs. It’s called “Return of the ‘G’ 2″, serves as a sequel of sorts to Outkast’s original, and it is produced by Paul White.

Man that is a great string of words.

CRS

I'm extremely excited for Return of the G 2. Both Danny and Gibbs can spit so I'm sure it'll live up to the original and maybe even surpass it. Fuck, it's going to be great.

Old Information:

Vocal guests:

• A$AP Rocky
  • Charli XCX
  • Mr. Muthafuckin’ eXquire
  • Scrufizzer
  • Freddie Gibbs
  • Schoolboy Q
  • Ab-Soul
  • Kitty
  • Purity Ring’s Megan James

Producers:

• Skywlkr
  • Oh No
  • Darq E Freaker
  • Purity Ring
  • Paul White
  • A-Trak
  • Frank Dukes
  • Rustie

danny-old-tracks.jpg

Pitchfork: XXX sounded very specifically and consciously sequenced to form a narrative, did you approach the making of Old in the same way?
Danny Brown: I always try to act like I'm some old school artist from the 1960s, so I approached this album like I was making it for vinyl: There's a side A and a side B. The way I look at it, I've always been two different artists anyway; I do that underground hip-hop shit and that turned-up trap shit. XXX told a story, so I wanted this one to be like "Curb Your Enthusiasm"-- it's random and all over the place, but by the end it comes together.

Pitchfork: You've said that while you were making XXX you were listening to a lot of Joy Division. Were there any specific artists you looked to for this album?
DB: I made XXX with the aim of getting great reviews. And when I started making Old, I was trying to think of artists that came back from getting great reviews and made an album that was just as good-- or better! The only group I could really come up with was Radiohead. So if XXX was my OK Computer, then I'd have to make my Kid A next. So I studied Kid A, and I took away that it's not so much about the lyrics as it is about the way the beats feel, so what drives this album is the production. I wanted to have the most amazing beats, but I still want them to sound minimal-- it's still gotta sound like a Danny Brown beat. It can't sound like no fucking Kanye orchestra shit. That ain't me. That's why I took so long with making this album. I was waiting for the perfect beats. And I got 'em.

Pitchfork: Would you consider yourself a perfectionist?
DB: A perfectionist is someone like Dr. Dre or Kanye-- they'll take one song and do 50 takes. I go with my first take for every song. I want to capture a feeling. If I say a word wrong, fuck it. I am a perfectionist as far as listening to it, though. If I'm over a song two weeks after I made it, I'm not going to put it out. It has to last months.

Pitchfork: You're known for your punchlines-- do you worry about not being taken seriously?
DB: You can only go so far with those. I think I'm funny when I'm just talking-- I don't have to make a dick joke to be funny. I might just say something that's not funny to me, but the way it sounded could make a person laugh. It goes along with my vocal range. Anyway, the album is called Old, and I'm 32, so it's time to grow up a little bit.

Pitchfork: You recently said that Old would be "less funny" than XXX-- but a good deal of XXX isn't very funny.
DB: With XXX, I was trying to make a comedy that also had a lot of drama. This one is just like mad drama [laughs]-- to the point where shit is so fucked up that you need a release. You can't just keep dwelling on how fucked up shit is because that ain't going to do nothing but make you feel depressed, so you gotta just say "fuck it" and take drugs and party.

jvRoZRA.png
QDzCHLn.png

On why the album took two years to make:

“I can do feature songs and whatever, but when you see an album and it says, ‘This is a Danny Brown album’, it’s gotta be at the most potent quality – and that doesn’t take six months. It doesn’t take a year. I tell people all of the time, it takes two years for me to make an album.”

On the album title:

“With ‘Old’ you think I’m talking about my age, or where I’m at in my career. But it really [refers to] when I’m experimenting, making songs with Darq E Freaker and stuff. And then when I go back to my ‘hood, I have my people who be like, ‘Where that ‘Old’ Danny Brown shit at? I wanna hear that J. Dilla Danny Brown.’ So I [titled the] album for them.”

On Old being more dramatic:

“It’s not blatantly as funny – but that’s coming from me, the person who made it,” he offers. “Being a listener, that might be different. I’ve noticed that it’s not necessarily what I say, but how I say it. For a lot of people I sound funny to them, no matter how serious the topic – like some Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm shit. We laughed at him getting a divorce! I’m talking real shit that happened in my life, and it’s not funny to me, but it might be funny to somebody else. Maybe that’s the ingenious thing?”

July 16 Update: In a new interview with DDS, Danny revealed the name and concept of his Old track with Freddie Gibbs. It’s called “Return of the ‘G’ 2″, serves as a sequel of sorts to Outkast’s original, and it is produced by Paul White.

Songs
Dope Song (Live)
Dip (Live)
Kush Coma (Studio)
Dip (Part of Ronson's Set)
Damn my ninja...I have no idea why I was down on this album. Not feeling a couple tracks released thus far but maybe the studio versions will work for me.

Esch

Banned
Haven't listened to anything off Old besides Kush Coma, and I dont plan on listening to any more till it comes out. Im expecting a trippy symphony, brehs.

HiResDes

I like Dope Song the best but I think the others may grow on me when heard in the context of the album.
Danny said his favorite track is called Go and produced by Rustie so that one is probably bonkers.

HiiiLife

Out of the 15 tracks on Doris, I'm already disliking two, Whoa and Guild. Maaaan. I sure hope I like at least 75% of the album. Lol. And just watching 20 Wave Caps lives makes me wish he would put that emotion into the studio quality. Dammit Earl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom