• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i'd like a name for the lightskin chick w/ the mohawk.

im gunna look into this later. we share a common interest.

Fellow brethren, I wanna journey into rock music but don't know where to start. I never fucked with it in the slightest. Any recommendations? My friend tried getting me to listen to Five Finger Death Punch but that was a little too much for me. Lol.

And I'm only asking because we don't have a rock gaf. Thanks gaf hop.

man it all depends on what kinda rock music you really wanna venture into...

if you're looking towards just flat out Rock music don't need to go further than the classics:

Queen
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Rolling Stones
AC/DC
Black Sabbath

If you want to get into the faster/Punk-ier shit:

Bad Brains
Ramones
Operation Ivy
Faction
The Cramps
Black Flag
The Descendents

Punch you in the face Metal:

Slayer
Metallica
Megadeth
Death
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Pantera

or more contemporary rock:

The Black Keys
Allah-Las
TV on The Radio
Queens of The Stone Age
Portugal. The Man
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

choose a path, look at the bands wiki page and look into who influenced them and who they have influenced themselves.

HiResDes

Fellow brethren, I wanna journey into rock music but don't know where to start. I never fucked with it in the slightest. Any recommendations? My friend tried getting me to listen to Five Finger Death Punch but that was a little too much for me. Lol.

Starting Rock-Gaf when I get home. If someone wants to make me a banner do it and I'll give credit plus a ZJ.

Start with some 60s shit breh. Led Zeppelin II, Are You Experienced, Disraeli Gears etc. Figure out what sounds you're into and browse stuff on iTunes.

MY MAN

Not very "rock-y" though. I see them as like a pop form of rock. Like the Beatles.

Trust, Cloud Nothings, and Japandroids are good current rock bands, imo. Swans is great too, but I don't know if you should start there.
I just said Vampire Weekend to fuck with people here lol. I agree though

Fuck me.

Listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.
I had accidentally downloaded the clean version when it came out, and i didn't think it was the end all be all. I had it in my head for the last couple years that it was a solid 8 out of 10.

Well i decided to get the regular version today and re listen.
Masterpiece. This is opera rap right here. This is production and rapping at some of its finest.
Songs are all great.

DAMN KANYE

My Man

not mentioned yet

jesus and the mary chain
spiritualized
the clash

collard greens still sucks. maybe it will pop with the crowd though with that video, hopefully. i want q to get big.

back when i gave a shit about yelawolf and wanted to see him he couldn't make it because of rejected visa

i don't think q can come to canada either

CRS

Creedence Clearwater Revival
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Santana
Funkadelic
Buddy Miles
Baby Huey
Shuggie Otis
Neil Young

Smh at the Fleet Foxes shade.

Jitters

Fleet Foxes ain't too bad. Maybe a little over hyped.

If we are listing classics, than Pavement should definitely get a mention.

edit: There is so few good rock releases now, I don't know if a Rock-GAF would last. Unless we are using the term broadly.

HiResDes

Fleet Foxes ain't too bad. Maybe a little over hyped.

If we are listing classics, than Pavement should definitely get a mention.

edit: There is so few good rock releases now, I don't know if a Rock-GAF would last. Unless we are using the term broadly.
I think that's bullshit, the hunt is just harder because they aren't making waves.

Jitters

When you guys say stuff like "Pitchforky", do you mean overly distorted stuff like Lightning Bolt and Metz?

Speedy Otiz is another good rock band. They kind of rip off great bands like Pavement and Archers of Loaf, but I mean that in a good way.

HiResDes

When you guys say stuff like "Pitchforky", do you mean overly distorted stuff like Lightning Bolt and Metz?

Speedy Otiz is another good rock band. They kind of rip off great bands like Pavement and Archers of Loaf, but I mean that in a good way.

I like Speedy Ortiz as well, but I gotta say I think you should relisten to Metz because categorizing them with the likes of Lightning Bolt and Hella is pretty off. They use less distortion than Swans, who you recommended a few posts ago, and are pretty much my favorite newish band.

My problem with labeling something too pitchforky is that it sounds as if you're docking points from bands for being too experimental, which is unfair considering that if every band sounded exactly like Rush or Led Zeppelin or whatever band you antiquarians can't get over you'd give them just as much shit for it.

HiiiLife

Gaf-Hop, all I can say is thanks y'all. A lot of recommendations that sound dope. I have some journeying to do.

Luau on deck for the Gaf brethren. Come get some kalua pork and other polynesian food. We feasting.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Freddie is GOAT, he's a once in a generation type of entertainer. Everyone else is just fighting for second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom